An alternative to torrents: feedback requested! - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
greg87lax
^terror in the night

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

An alternative to torrents: feedback requested!

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate place for this question - figured the people here would be the most informed

My idea boils down to the Spotify or Pandora of live music. Instead of downloading a torrent, converting format, then listening, the user could just fire up an app and stream all the live music they want.

Is there any legal reason this would not work?
If we had a subscription model where the user pays a monthly fee or we show the user advertisements, would that interfere with DMB music sharing policy?
-------------------------------------------
background
I'm a pretty big DMB fan, and in high school it was a bit of an obsession. I had over 150 GB of DMB concert recordings that I had torrented (legally). To grow a library of live recordings takes a fair amount of effort - find a torrent of the show you want, wait for the (huge) download to complete, then convert from lossless format (like .flac) to lossy (like mp3) so it'll all fit on your iPod. Sometimes finding an older show would be impossible - if no one was seeding the show you were looking for, you were simply out of luck.

For those seeking out live recordings, these issues exist today:
-Torrenting is labor-intensive
--Locating the torrent for the recording you want
--Waiting for the download to complete
--Converting to mp3
--Torrents are usually uncompressed HUGE files

-Torrenting requires you seed (upload)
--Many sites let you download 10GB of content as a new user (about 2 concerts worth), then require you maintain a certain leech/seed ratio
--If you offer to seed and no one downloads your torrent, that is out of your control and your ratio remains low
--If you have a low ratio, you will be banned from downloading more torrents

-If no one is currently seeding the show you want, you can't get it

The Concept
I provide a service - much like Spotify or Pandora - that allows users to stream live concert recordings from our cloud down to their computer.
-Once a user uploads a live recording to our service, it is available for ALL other users to stream
--We would have a process in place where we verify the recording is what the user says it is, and verify that band allows free sharing of their live recordings
--Previously if someone uploaded 5GB worth of torrents, that meant only 5GB worth of torrents had been downloaded. Now, if someone uploads 5GB worth of recordings, it can be downloaded with no limits

-All live recordings that are uploaded to us are available all the time
--Finding that old show you went to no longer requires someone is seeding it. It only requires someone uploaded it ONCE
-Music is available instantly

I'm in the very earliest stages of researching this idea - I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks for reading!

-Greg

Last edited by greg87lax; 09-12-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: formatting
greg87lax is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
    ercdmb

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: An alternative to torrents: feedback requested!

Good luck with this. I know dmbstream had to shut down. I think this might be along the same lines. i did a project for a mobile apps class that streamed some music. It was basic but a pretty interesting learning experience. Seems like too much of a headache to relase something like this though
    ercdmb is offline   Reply With Quote