***Official Berkeley 2014 Thread*** - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #31
dmbboz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Berkeley 2014 Thread***

really really wanted to do this, but between the atrocious parking situation it's almost unreasonable and a deal breaker coming from the east coast.

the parking is as bad as i hear? nothing near the venue? just residential parking far away that is first come first served and very hard to get and can take hours to find? and the seating there is all GA pretty much?

it's a shame i hear the place is beautiful...
dmbboz is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
    caribbeandream

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbboz View Post
    really really wanted to do this, but between the atrocious parking situation it's almost unreasonable and a deal breaker coming from the east coast.

the parking is as bad as i hear? nothing near the venue? just residential parking far away that is first come first served and very hard to get and can take hours to find? and the seating there is all GA pretty much?

There is a parking garage. It's also fairly easy to park at a Bart station somewhere nearby and take the train into town.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

^ Edit: So, basically, what Katy said.

Honestly, if you don't mind a bit of a hike, you could take BART (the local rail system) and walk to the venue. It's a little bit of an uphill climb of about a mile, but not intolerable.

In terms of parking, there are a few small garages near the venue and a tiny lot up the hill behind it plus residential. I've never had a hard time finding a space, but I also get there pretty early.

Seating should be all GA.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #34
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    ^ Edit: So, basically, what Katy said.

Honestly, if you don't mind a bit of a hike, you could take BART (the local rail system) and walk to the venue. It's a little bit of an uphill climb of about a mile, but not intolerable.

In terms of parking, there are a few small garages near the venue and a tiny lot up the hill behind it plus residential. I've never had a hard time finding a space, but I also get there pretty early.

Seating should be all GA.
    Yes, and part of that hike is through campus, which is gorgeous and somewhat entertaining, making the walk/ hike not all that bad. Plus, at least it's downhill after the show.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

And the Greek has an 11 p.m. noise curfew on Friday and Saturday and 10 p.m. Sunday, so you don't have to worry about missing the last train!
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #36
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbeandream View Post
    Ben!!!! You should come out for this! Repeat of '08!
    Hey there Katy. Unless I either win the lottery or the little contest they are putting on at the WH, 2008 will remain my ultimate DMB experience. You headed to these shows?
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #37
    lovemesomedmb

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, and part of that hike is through campus, which is gorgeous and somewhat entertaining, making the walk/ hike not all that bad. Plus, at least it's downhill after the show.
    This^^^ abslolutely...really nice walk!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    And the Greek has an 11 p.m. noise curfew on Friday and Saturday and 10 p.m. Sunday, so you don't have to worry about missing the last train!
    I believe they held the last train(s) for us last time. Was PACKED, but we made it.

2023 Shows: Highland, Irvine x2, Gorge x3, Charlottesville x2
    lovemesomedmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #38
    dmb41er

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know how far the nearest camping is?

I'm not looking to camp in an RV park and I don't mind driving after the shows so I'm hoping there is something decent less than an hour away.
    dmb41er is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #39
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Hey there Katy. Unless I either win the lottery or the little contest they are putting on at the WH, 2008 will remain my ultimate DMB experience. You headed to these shows?
    Yes indeed! Not quite sure how I'm gonna afford it either...w/ our new little peanut in the mix now (and currently being on reduced maternity leave pay for the next couple of months ). I may have to wait until closer to the shows to search for tix. But hopefully I'll figure it out.
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #40
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes indeed! Not quite sure how I'm gonna afford it either...w/ our new little peanut in the mix now (and currently being on reduced maternity leave pay for the next couple of months ). I may have to wait until closer to the shows to search for tix. But hopefully I'll figure it out.
    As you know there is always tickets, you just have to be patient. Hope that you can break away for at least a couple shows this tour. And things get a little different when you have the wee one in the mix now. How is mommy-hood?
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As you know there is always tickets, you just have to be patient. Hope that you can break away for at least a couple shows this tour. And things get a little different when you have the wee one in the mix now. How is mommy-hood?
    Amazing! I feel like I'm still playing catch up on all things w/ her 3+ week early arrival...but I'm finally getting somewhat caught up on organizing all the clothes and such we've been given and what not.

Yes, I'm sure things are going to be quite different w/ getting to shows and all w/ her being here. But that's when I say, "Daddy can watch you while Mommy gets her live music fix". At least every once in awhile. I'll do what I can!
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #42
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb41er View Post
    Does anyone know how far the nearest camping is?

I'm not looking to camp in an RV park and I don't mind driving after the shows so I'm hoping there is something decent less than an hour away.
    Mount Diablo is about 30-40 minutes east of Berkeley and offers camping. My camping knowledge is limited, however, so I'm sure there are other, better places in the area.
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #43
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Amazing! I feel like I'm still playing catch up on all things w/ her 3+ week early arrival...but I'm finally getting somewhat caught up on organizing all the clothes and such we've been given and what not.

Yes, I'm sure things are going to be quite different w/ getting to shows and all w/ her being here. But that's when I say, "Daddy can watch you while Mommy gets her live music fix". At least every once in awhile. I'll do what I can!
    Wow, 3 weeks early?! You get mentally really ready for a certain date, then wham… the little one had other ideas. Look at the bright side, you get the write off on the taxes for 2013 because of the early arrival.

I think a little daddy-daughter bonding is a good thing. Couple that with mommy getting in some DMB, sounds like a win-win.
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #44
    matt630

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Syracuse to Berkley!

Count me in. Please let the ticket powers look favorably upon me.

My Tour Stats
    matt630 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #45
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow, 3 weeks early?! You get mentally really ready for a certain date, then wham… the little one had other ideas. Look at the bright side, you get the write off on the taxes for 2013 because of the early arrival.

I think a little daddy-daughter bonding is a good thing. Couple that with mommy getting in some DMB, sounds like a win-win.
    ...and some G Love (ok, might let Daddy might get to come to that one...woohoo for babysitting grandparents!), and some Railroad Earth...concert season is underway!

Yeah...she isn't even supposed to be born yet. Her due date was Jan. 21! They induced me early because she was measuring small and they were concerned she was no longer thriving inside the womb. I was still working and completely unprepared! We didn't even have much of the essentials (ie DIAPERS!) bought at that point. But she's happy and healthy and doing well...so that's all that matters! Not only do we get a tax write-off, but w/ her coming in Dec., my deductible didn't restart before her birth!
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #46
    one sub

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

atrocious parking and you have to walk up a hill to get inside the venue, not to mention the cold summer breeze, fog, democrats, homeless, inflated prices... the bay area is a bad, bad place, please keep out.
    one sub is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #47
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I'm hoping I luck up and win the warehouse giveaway to these shows! It seems like it's going to be an awesome 3 night stand! When was the last time DMB did 3 nights outside of the Gorge?
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #48
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I'm hoping I luck up and win the warehouse giveaway to these shows! It seems like it's going to be an awesome 3 night stand! When was the last time DMB did 3 nights outside of the Gorge?
    The 3 nights they did here in '08 were absolutely magical. Especially w/ the last night being on Roi's b-day of the summer we lost him...the bubbles the crowd made during the Bartender opening...the memories I have of that are so chilling, yet so warm. I remember a friend of mine who was there w/ me one night (who's far more of a Dead/ Phish/ SCI type fan, but respects DMB as well...just ya know, different crowd) saying to me that he's never heard such a loud fan participation at a show (in terms of the amount of people singing along to each and every song, etc.).

Anyways...those shows were awesome and I'm sure this year will be just as good. It's also nice to have an all GA show so you can wander and sit with all the people you want to be with, etc. Good times, for sure.
    Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #49
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    When was the last time DMB did 3 nights outside of the Gorge?
    Randall's Island in 2011

Outside of the Caravans, I think it was Berkeley in '08.
    Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #50
    dmbboz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

thanks for your input colden and katy. can anyone compile a list of hotels in walking distance that are safe other than hotel nash if there are any? thanks...
    dmbboz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #51
    one sub

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    thanks for your input colden and katy. can anyone compile a list of hotels in walking distance that are safe other than hotel nash if there are any? thanks...
    i've walked by the bancroft hotel and imagine it doesn't get any closer with the exception of the hotel that's actually on campus. i think there are restrictions on that one though. berkeley inn and shattuck are so close to bart that you can't beat staying at one of those, 25-30 minute walk through campus to the greek which is quite pleasant. just don't let a parking rumor squander the weekend.
    one sub is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #52
    caribbeandream

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by one sub View Post
    i've walked by the bancroft hotel and imagine it doesn't get any closer with the exception of the hotel that's actually on campus. i think there are restrictions on that one though. berkeley inn and shattuck are so close to bart that you can't beat staying at one of those, 25-30 minute walk through campus to the greek which is quite pleasant. just don't let a parking rumor squander the weekend.
    Seriously...I had never heard of parking being an issue of people not getting out here. I have been to tons of shows here and never once have I worried about parking. I LOVE this venue.
    Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #53
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The 3 nights they did here in '08 were absolutely magical. Especially w/ the last night being on Roi's b-day of the summer we lost him...the bubbles the crowd made during the Bartender opening...the memories I have of that are so chilling, yet so warm. I remember a friend of mine who was there w/ me one night (who's far more of a Dead/ Phish/ SCI type fan, but respects DMB as well...just ya know, different crowd) saying to me that he's never heard such a loud fan participation at a show (in terms of the amount of people singing along to each and every song, etc.).

Anyways...those shows were awesome and I'm sure this year will be just as good. It's also nice to have an all GA show so you can wander and sit with all the people you want to be with, etc. Good times, for sure.
    Are we all going to have a party in line again???
    Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #54
    98Ants

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Decided to change plans from Gorge x3 to Berkeley x3 this year. Hoping to get confirmed since this is such a small venue.

2014: Charlotte, GORGE N1, N2, N3!!!
    98Ants is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #55
    jbeck417
    Becker

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I feel that this three night stand has something special in store, gonna hit this one instead of the Gorge and then the Last Stop in Irvine! I'm really excited for this venue!
    Raleigh, NC 08/09- STL '10- D&T '10 Vegas N1/N2- Lakeside Caravan N2/N3- STL '12- Gorge x3 '12- Chula Vista '12- Irvine '12- Hollywood Bowl '12- Dallas '13- STL '13- Gorge x3 '13- Gorge x3 '14- Irvine '14- Camden x2 '15
    jbeck417 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #56
    davet7462
    AM.org Twitter User

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This. No reason to drive to the venue. Stay in San Francisco - not Oakland. Spend the day enjoying the city and then take the BART to the Central Berkeley station. Its an easy walk through a beautiful campus to the venue. As she ^ said - its uphill - but not a steep climb to the venue. I'm 51 and my wife is - well - lets just say a good decade ahead of me - and we've no problem with the walk. And back to staying in SF. There is just so much to do that will fill your three days there that it doesn't make sense to stay anywhere else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by one sub View Post
    atrocious parking and you have to walk up a hill to get inside the venue, not to mention the cold summer breeze, fog, democrats, homeless, inflated prices... the bay area is a bad, bad place, please keep out.
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/..._did_there.jpg

Last edited by davet7462; 01-15-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    davet7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #57
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

My Tour Central Stats

I am so excited for these shows. I missed the '08 shows here due to life. I am happy that it's all GA because we have a large group going and it will be fun to have everyone together at least one night.

Hai Anne! I think we're pre-gaming at Jupiters. The usual suspects will be with me.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #58
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davet7462 View Post
    This. No reason to drive to the venue. Stay in San Francisco - not Oakland. Spend the day enjoying the city and then take the BART to the Central Berkeley station. Its an easy walk through a beautiful campus to the venue. As she ^ said - its uphill - but not a steep climb to the venue. I'm 51 and my wife is - well - lets just say a good decade ahead of me - and we've no problem with the walk. And back to staying in SF. There is just so much to do that will fill your three days there that it doesn't make sense to stay anywhere else.
    I don't know Dave. The Motel 6 by the stadium is pretty swanky. Comes with a guard gate, security patrols and if you are lucky... tailgating Raider fans.
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #59
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know Dave. The Motel 6 by the stadium is pretty swanky. Comes with a guard gate, security patrols and if you are lucky... tailgating Raider fans.
    I can't even imagine! I hate that I have to use that BART station to get to/from the OAK airport when I visit my friends in NorCal. I'm always looking over my shoulder.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #60
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    I can't even imagine! I hate that I have to use that BART station to get to/from the OAK airport when I visit my friends in NorCal. I'm always looking over my shoulder.
    There was a large group of us that stayed there in 08. I remember that people from our group on Saturday night were told to quiet down, while partying in their room after the show. All while the parking lot is crawling with Raider fans tailgating the night before the game, making just as much noise. It was all part of the experience. Or something like that.