Berkeley N2 Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Rebecca De Mornay
HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Berkeley N2 Review

Just got back from the show...tonights show was very high energy and a ton of fun to be at...I ended up hearing some songs live for the first time ever which I was excited about

Seek Up- I heard the tour debut of this at mansfield this year and this version was much more tight and clean...with that said dave did forget they lyrics on the second verse and mumbled his way through but still great way to start the show...stone and seek up openers so far at the greek =

Proudest Monkey- I have always loved this song and especially this year how it gets much more intense at the end...i love tims fills on this one

Satellite- I felt that they really played this song very well tonight...standard version but I found myself really getting into it because of how well they played it.

PNP->Rapunzel- I imagine Ill take some shit for this but I really dont live tim that much on this song...i like the acoustic sound to it much better and i wish they would just let tim do little fills and then solo during the jam at the end which was incredible...with that said ill take this song on any set.

Louisiana Bayou- saw dave get the electric guitar and was hoping for so right (i know long shot) or wya but knew that i was going to get this...standard version strong performance by dave but not my favorite not terrible though. btw (first stand up song since n2 at the gorge)

OOMH- second straight stand up song...dave said before that he could still play this song even if he got 8 of his fingers amputated. IMO this is the most improved song of the tour...that doesnt mean its good just went from being awful to bearable because the jam at the end is kind of interesting.

Fuzzy Wuzzy- yesssssss this was a fun one and of course I wasnt expecitng it at all...i really liked the horn part that jeff and rashawn played.

Sledgehammer- One of the best new covers of the year IMO. The crowd always loves it. standard version

Lover Lay Down- I had never heard this song live before and it was one that I desperately wanted to hear...great way to bring down the energy after sledgehammer and jeff had an excellent solo towards the end.

Rhyme and Reason- standard version tims solo on this kicks ass.

Jimi Thing- Dave let the crowd sing the first verse and then the beginning of the chorus and then let the crowd sing the second verse. then everyone soloed and it was phenomenal especially jeff and rashawn...the crowd prompted dave to sing "stop baby whats that sound" outro.

Where Are You Going- the only time of the night that I sat down...rashawn played what looked like a muted cornet that IMO was extremely high and shrill sounding. could have done without this one but no way im going to complain with the set i got tonight

Money- Standard version and good cover...it looks like stefan really enjoys playing this one he had a huge smile the entire time.

Warehouse- Finally I had never seen this song and it is probably my favorite DMB song tied with the stone...i loved everything about it and rashwan and coffin sounded great...tims fills really made up for the lack of butch as well. the crowd sand louie louie but dave did not.

Stay- Another song that I dont really like tim on...i just like the acoustic sound of it..id prefer this song midset but its always a fun song to hear live.

ASTB- Only repeat from last night and it was not particularly good...at the beginning boyd played a note after the band had stopped on the opening beats but once they got going it smoothed out.

Too Much- A little weird to hear them play this because the last couple times ive heard it theyve faked it but im glad they played it because its been a great great song this year.

AATW- I had never heard this song live before and like LLD and Warehouse i really really wanted to hear it...Stefan had a great intro and then they went into it...this song was absolutely amazing dave went nuts and tim played the guitar with his teeth which was absolute incredible especially because it still sounded good. this song was probably the hilight of the night for me along with warehouse.

All in all very high energy show and fun to be at...had a great time...jeff has sounded especially good these last couple of nights IMO and to me looks to be building chemistry with the rest of the members (or at least they all look more comfortable with him than when i saw him in columbus)

One other note: Sharon Jones the opening singer who is a id say 5'3 skinny black woman took rashawn out on stage during one of her songs and sang to him...rashawn looked embarrassed but he couldnt stop laughing...it was actually really funny.

looking forward to tomorrow nith hopening to get song that jane likes
Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Berkeley N2 Review

i wasn't expecting fuzzy wuzzy either.

i think it should be called Dave Matthews Jam (Fuzzy Wuzzy Interpolation) because of how it came out of Carter echoing the chant.
    Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
    dps225

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The fuzzy wuzzy thing was one of those genuinely unique moments where the band was having a blast and spontaneously did something different. This came right after band intros and Dave was doing a funky little dance - shaking his butt at the crowd and suddenly Carter started in on the bass drum and then the horns came in and all of the sudden there was a funky jam.

It looked like Dave was giving Rashawn crap all night long about his "dancing" with Sharon Jones.

Late during Jimi Thing a plane flew overhead - it took a couple passes but it appeared to be a marriage proposal along with the line "Where you are is where I want to be." Moments later, they played WAYG and when they were done the plane made one more pass and Dave and the rest of the guys were making a show of straining their necks to see what the message said.

So... what did she say???
    Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
    rnieves
    Schiz is a bama

Shows Seen: 127

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

That couple was near us... she said yes.

2013: Alpine x2, Hershey, and Bristow (100!)
    rnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
    hi8is

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Hey gang.

Is there anyone here going to N3 of the Berkley shows on Sunday?
    I would really love to stay and go but I need to arrange a ride by Sunday afternoon to do so.

If you are going south after tomorrow nights show... please call me.

My name is Trevor ( or just T for short ) and I would be happy to help with gas money.

Let me know please! 818-359-7755

Be Well! =)
    hi8is is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
    Peace_Love&DMB

My Tour Central Stats

Great review... I am still on cloud 9 and don't want to come down... Amazing show..... N2 was my favorite but I am positive N1 would have been had I flew in Friday :-(
    Peace_Love&DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
    plzrcyl

My Tour Central Stats

Concert was AMAZING but all 3 nights were great ... As for the plane, Yes that was a marriage proposal, and she did say yes, and this I know b/c it was me : )

To everybody who was sitting near us THANK YOU!!! you guys were GREAT!!! and to the girl who sat behind us and took my camera and took pictures THANK YOU ... and if anybody reads this and has pictures or video of us or the plane can you send it to me?

Thanks
    Ben ; )
    plzrcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
    tombellanca

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

tell us some more about the proposal.
    the plane flew over at least 3 times and it took awhile for the words to scroll by, so if you weren't paying attention it could have easily been missed.
    did your fiance point it out and tell you to read it?
    did he arrange a specific time for it to fly by?

me and my wife loved the idea of it, and was hoping it was a success.

congrats!
    tombellanca is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
    shesaid1000

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Congratulations! That is awesome.
    shesaid1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 AM   #10
    bartender_man