Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
lockman21
Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review

Musically, this was the worst I've seen at Alpine in the 10 years I've been going there. These were my 29th and 30th DMB shows, and I've never walked away so "bleh" from an entire summer weekend of shows before, whether that's Alpine, DC, etc. Just nothing to really take away from it musically.

However, Alpine is 10% DMB and 90% my friends/tailgating...which was a blast. I always love the Alpine lots. So because of that, this weekend was a success.

We had 4 of us in 201 AA N1 on the aisle (well, 4 seats away from the aisle) and then in 202 Y N2. Great seats both nights. 3 of us have been to 25+ shows, and 1 was on his 3rd/4th shows, and really just getting into DMB...well...he was trying to until this weekend.

Louisiana Bayou - I was hoping to GOD this was So Right. Bayou. Bleh. Just happy it is out of the way. This song should stay on the shelf. Awful.

Belly Belly Nice - Bad start. Bottom 10 song for me. Honestly was embarrassed at this start for the guy we have been building up DMB to. He was unimpressed to start.

So Right - Such an incredible song! I thought things were going to turn around until...

Spaceman - Why? Seriously...why? No need for this here. It made no sense, and totally killed the vibe.

Warehouse - Alright! Here we go. Top 3 song for me. My all time favorites are Last Stop, Warehouse, and Stone...all basically tied for the top spot...so glad I got at least one. I, again, thought things were about to get crazy.

Dancing Nancies - Alpine makes this song from a great song to an amazing song. Crowd just blows it up.

Save Me - I took a piss. Whatever.

Captain - Great freakin' song. Show is really turning around.

Kill The Preacher - Meh, not really a concert song. Just doesn't work in a live ampitheatre setting.

Don't Drink The Water - For some reason, this song was the highlight of my weekend. I was just 10000000% into this. Incredible.

Snow Outside - Ehhhhhhhhh...disappointed this is what they chose to use SJ on after he was on such incredible songs at previous shows. Whatever, I guess. It was alright.

Fool To Think - I thought this was Rhyme, 100%. I really wish it was. Rhyme is a top 15 for me, this song isn't.

Granny -My 8th time seeing Granny, and I'm still not sick of it. I love this song so much.

What Would You Say - Fun. I'm getting a little sick of it, but I still enjoyed it. Good songs are always good songs, no matter how many times you have seen them. This was #10 WWYS for me, and I still enjoyed myself.

The Space Between - I absolutely LOVE Space Between. I belted every lyric.

You Might Die Trying - FUCK THIS SONG. FUCK. THIS. SONG. Stop fucking playing this at almost every show I attend. Fuck. THIS FUCKING SONG. 16th time hearing this turd. Stop. Just stop it. Give it a freakin rest for a couple years. I took another piss.

Everyday - Meh, I was just getting back from my piss.

Ants Marching - I thought I heard Halloween starting at the beginning. Will have to go back to the tapes. Anyway, Ants at Alpine is always awesome. Crowd singing louder than Dave.

Halloween - I think someone else's review said they've heard Halloween 3 times now...I've heard it 4 times now...and it still is awesome. I do wish it was a little more "rare" like it used to be, but it's an incredible song live.

Some Devil - Ehhhhhhhh...really?

Drunken Soldier - Bleh.

Pantala Naga Pampa > Rapunzel - I love Rapunzel. Ending to a pretty good show. Nothing great, but good.

---Night 2---

Squirm - Eh, OK I guess. Only song I like off BW, so I wasn't super upset. Not what I was hoping for but, ok.

One Sweet World - LOVE OSW. I was always one of those that never understood the hate it got years ago when it was opening constantly. People hated on it, but I always loved it. It gets everyone moving, singing, dancing...it's a perfect opener/early set tune.

When the World Ends - UGH...why? Again...no need for this here. Why? (These questions were a common theme Saturday night)

Take Me to Tomorrow - It was alright. Would probably like it better sitting at my desk in my room with headphones on, but ok.

Rooftop - This song is bleh. I like Broken Things, was really hoping for that instead of Rooftop...but whatever.

#41 - Love 41 at about 8-9 minutes. This one seemed to drag on a little too long. Still though, it's 41.

Gravedigger - Gravedigger when Say Goodbye is in rotation is the absolute worst thing in their catalog. I thought FOR SURE it was Say Goodbye. Nope. It was this turd. I took a piss.

Kill the Preacher - Again, why? I was still pissing, so I didn't really care.

Why I Am - Bottom 3 song. I heard it starting on my way back to my seat, and I turned around and went to get a beer. Shit song.

Runnin' Down a Dream - WHY? Made no sense. Play your own songs.

Jimi Thing - Had this followed a run of #41, Say Goodbye, Raven, Dreaming Tree...I would have loved it. As it was...it was not welcome. Just another 20 minutes gone.

Cornbread - My most seen songs are Cornbread, YMDT and Jimi Thing. There's something SERIOUSLY wrong with that. Fuck this song so much.

Tim & Stanley Jam - Pretty cool. I enjoyed it. Would have preferred DT or something, but cool to see something different.

Grace Is Gone - WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?! I was dying for Cry Freedom all weekend, why does he have to guest on this song? After a drawn out Jimi, Cornbread, and a "jam"...this was the last thing they needed. A long version of a quiet sleepy song.

Grey Street - I have seen Grey St 14 times and still belt out the lyrics. That's the difference between this and songs like Cornbread. I don't get tired of GOOD songs. Grey St (while a shell of it's former self) is still a good song.

Recently - WOO! YES! Love me some Recently.

The Song That Jane Likes - Alright! A great little three song run here! Really starting to feel good now.

You & Me - FUCK! WHYYYYYYYYYYYY? You just went Grey > Recently > Jane and then need to kick everyone in the nuts with this? Why?????? I would have actually enjoyed the set better if they just didn't play anything here. Just go Gret > Recently > Jane > Watchtower > Halloween. Would have been better.

All Along the Watchtower - #34 teases were so cool. Crowd was really, really into it. Watchtower was Watchtower. I enjoyed it.

Halloween - What? Why? I mean...ok, but....why?

Encore:

Dreamgirl - Substituting Dreamgirl for Sister is like picking getting punched in the balls instead of kicked in the nuts. Why not BOWA? Or Cry Freedom? Or Drive In Drive Out? Or The Stone? Why this bullshit?

Time Bomb - What the hell is this? 2009?

Two Step - Two Step is Two Step. This was possibly the least into the end jam I've seen a crowd though. Just didn't feel the same.

Night 1 - 7.5/10
Night 2 - 3.5/10

Night 2 was incredibly disappointing considering how good they've been playing all summer. There are so many good songs they've been playing that they left on the table, and they seemed to cover all the shitty ones. Overall, I'd give the weekend a 5/10 from DMB, 9.5/10 from my friends tailgating.

Last edited by lockman21; 07-08-2013 at 08:34 AM.
lockman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Worst Alpine weekend I've ever been to - a weekend review

So, Kill the Preacher doesn't work in a live amphitheater setting, but Cry Freedom does?
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    So, Kill the Preacher doesn't work in a live amphitheater setting, but Cry Freedom does?
    I've never seen Cry Freedom, so I couldn't tell ya. I was definitely hoping for it though. I'll be sure to give you a full review if I ever catch CF.
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
    yankeesguy86

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Agree with Lockman - were these shows bad? No. But by DMB standards, let alone Summer 2013 standards, they missed the mark. It's Monday and I still don't really know what to make of the shows.

But like Lockman, every other element of the Alpine experience was excellent. Still a fantastic weekend, met Boyd, saw some great songs. Out of the four shows I saw, they got progressively more mediocre, starting with an unbelievable N1 at Deer Creek, very good N2 at DC, a good N1 at Alpine, and a 'meh' N2.
    02 12/14 03 7/3 04 6/18; 8/7 05 6/2,13; 7/23,24; 11/30 06 5/30; 6/2,3; 7/1,2; 9/15 07 7/8; 8/17,18,25,26 08 8/9, 10 09 7/18,19; 8/1 10 6/16,18,19; 7/3,4; 9/17,18 11 7/8,9,10 12 6/22; 7/6,7 13 6/21, 22; 7/5,6 14 6/20,21; 7/4,5 15 7/15,17,18,25,26,31; 8/1
    yankeesguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
    Shagadelic
    J

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post

---Night 2---

Squirm - Eh, OK I guess. Only song I like off BW, so I wasn't super upset. Not what I was hoping for but, ok.
    If THIS is seriously your outlook...you're doing it wrong.
    Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've never seen Cry Freedom, so I couldn't tell ya. I was definitely hoping for it though. I'll be sure to give you a full review if I ever catch CF.
    You've missed the point.
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Boo hoo, its just another venue now, get over it.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You've missed the point.
    He always does
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shagadelic View Post
    If THIS is seriously your outlook...you're doing it wrong.
    Why?

Quote:
    You've missed the point.
    How?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Boo hoo, its just another venue now, get over it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    He always does

No, I don't. Sorry I don't ballwash the band. It's my opinion. Get over it. Don't know why I upset you so often. Sorry I don't have an undying love for crappy songs.
    Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
    Shagadelic
    J

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why?

How?

No, I don't. Sorry I don't ballwash the band. It's my opinion. Get over it. Don't know why I upset you so often. Sorry I don't have an undying love for crappy songs.
    Ummm, I guess because it seems to, generally be considered, one of their best pieces of work. I think consensus would agree with that.

You don't ballwash the band? What do you want from them? To come to your house and make you a fucking sandwich? As my favorite band of all-time, they generally can do no wrong, haven't always liked ALL their work or been head over heals about a show I've been to but to think that you're some kind of authoritative voice on the Alpine experience is a bit of a joke.

I kind of summed it up like this...A lot of the hardcore classics were not played and that made it seem like a below par weekend. But the fact remains that they played some crowd favorites and some tunes that maybe were underplayed and thus underappreciated, but when they did play them, they did quite well. For me I was very pessimistic about their newest album translating to a live performance, seemed too straightforward or something; not sure what that even means but to have heard Rooftop and Drunken Soldier live, is really starting to change my mind.

/rant apologies
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
    jsied55

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ummm, I guess because it seems to, generally be considered, one of their best pieces of work. I think consensus would agree with that.

You don't ballwash the band? What do you want from them? To come to your house and make you a fucking sandwich? As my favorite band of all-time, they generally can do no wrong, haven't always liked ALL their work or been head over heals about a show I've been to but to think that you're some kind of authoritative voice on the Alpine experience is a bit of a joke.

I kind of summed it up like this...A lot of the hardcore classics were not played and that made it seem like a below par weekend. But the fact remains that they played some crowd favorites and some tunes that maybe were underplayed and thus underappreciated, but when they did play them, they did quite well. For me I was very pessimistic about their newest album translating to a live performance, seemed too straightforward or something; not sure what that even means but to have heard Rooftop and Drunken Soldier live, is really starting to change my mind.

/rant apologies
    BW is overall a pile of shit....(couple decent songs certainly none of them make a playlist of mine) I would say overall consensus is about 70-30 as to BW being shitty vs good work. So you knew what the consensus was.
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsied55 View Post
    BW is overall a pile of shit....(couple decent songs certainly none of them make a playlist of mine) I would say overall consensus is about 70-30 as to BW being shitty vs good work. So you knew what the consensus was.
    Who makes up this consensus?
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
    jsied55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Who makes up this consensus?
    Read some posts/threads about BW for every 3 good ones you will find 7 bad ones. Easier yet....go to a rank the albums thread and try and find BW in the top 5 albums for anyone. Tell me how that works out.
    Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Most of the BW material gets a huge reaction from the crowd at shows. DMB's overall fanbase loves BW. The message board fans are way out of touch with what audiences want to hear and what works in the live setting and what doesn't. The vast majority of DMB concert goers would rather hear SMLAM over Cry Freedom
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
    jsied55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Most of the BW material gets a huge reaction from the crowd at shows. DMB's overall fanbase loves BW. The message board fans are way out of touch with what audiences want to hear and what works in the live setting and what doesn't. The vast majority of DMB concert goers would rather hear SMLAM over Cry Freedom
    If we are talking about the casual fan/ bro sure they know 1 album so of course they would like the 1 album they have heard which is why they are at the show. However anyone who has heard 3-5 albums from the band the overall consensus that we see is BW is in the bottom half of albums created.

Person above stated BW was good work and that was the consensus when indeed the consensus here is that its not. And since the casual fan pry has no album to compare BW too since they don't know the library very well....how could they come to a decision on where it ranks?
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
    St. Theresa
    Lives on Grey St.

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I think YMDT rocks. *runs*
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If we are talking about the casual fan/ bro sure they know 1 album so of course they would like the 1 album they have heard which is why they are at the show. However anyone who has heard 3-5 albums from the band the overall consensus that we see is BW is in the bottom half of albums created.

Person above stated BW was good work and that was the consensus when indeed the consensus here is that its not. And since the casual fan pry has no album to compare BW too since they don't know the library very well....how could they come to a decision on where it ranks?
    You're making things up and assuming your opinion is that of the majority.

It's not.

You're also making the assumption that someone passionate about the band is on this forum. I know a lot of people who are really into this band, have their favorite song from BW and have been to 10+ shows of the band over the years. None of them are internet people. It doesn't mean their not fans of the band.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by St. Theresa View Post
    I think YMDT rocks. *runs*
    Don't run. It's a great tune, and an awesome one to see live.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're making things up and assuming your opinion is that of the majority.

It's not.

You're also making the assumption that someone passionate about the band is on this forum. I know a lot of people who are really into this band, have their favorite song from BW and have been to 10+ shows of the band over the years. None of them are internet people. It doesn't mean their not fans of the band.
    Hilly when did you see your first show? Just curious.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    In 1997.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
    jsied55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    lol

again Hilly read some or all of the threads/posts regarding BW I can assure you I am not making anything up as to where it ranks on these forums. Also I could see some people not being on this site and being fans. In the end it is personal preference but for someone to listen to BW and BTCS or Crash or UTTAD or BS or R2T or LWS or AFTW and say they liked BW more......pretty far-fetched stuff IMO of course.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    lol

again Hilly read some or all of the threads/posts regarding BW I can assure you I am not making anything up as to where it ranks on these forums. Also I could see some people not being on this site and being fans. In the end it is personal preference but for someone to listen to BW and BTCS or Crash or UTTAD or BS or R2T or LWS or AFTW and say they liked BW more......pretty far-fetched stuff IMO of course.
    I would argue that the opinion of these forums is far from the opinion of most people at shows.

Quote:
    Also I could see some people not being on this site and being fans.
    How old are you?

Most people I know don't go on forums. Off the top of my head, I can think of probably 15 people I know who went to a show last summer who are pretty big fans of the band, and would never touch these forums.
    Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
    jsied55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would argue that the opinion of these forums is far from the opinion of most people at shows.

How old are you?

Most people I know don't go on forums. Off the top of my head, I can think of probably 15 people I know who went to a show last summer who are pretty big fans of the band, and would never touch these forums.
    I agreed with you on the fact that some fans are not on these forums, that is essentially a fact. I would also agree that the opinion's here do differ from most people at the shows. However I would then argue that most people at a DMB show have little to no knowledge of music overall let alone the band itself. What does my age have to do with this comparison of BW to other albums of the bands? BW is newer I am younger and I know that BW is bottom half when it comes to albums.
    Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
    Shagadelic
    J

My Tour Central Stats

If you've been on this site longer than a week and a half, you will have noticed that this board has done a complete flip in terms of the patronage it receives. People I used to chat with 6 years ago are NEVER on here anymore, the Alpine thread used to have 30-40k posts BEFORE N1 even started, so don't come here with your 2 years of experience and tell me that the most knowledgeable fanbase in the world has spoken and their voice says that BW is mediocre at best and reprehensible at worst. If you were able to sample every single person that has ever posted with regularity on these boards, I guarantee the majority would have BW at WORST a 4th place album over all time.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you've been on this site longer than a week and a half, you will have noticed that this board has done a complete flip in terms of the patronage it receives. People I used to chat with 6 years ago are NEVER on here anymore, the Alpine thread used to have 30-40k posts BEFORE N1 even started, so don't come here with your 2 years of experience and tell me that the most knowledgeable fanbase in the world has spoken and their voice says that BW is mediocre at best and reprehensible at worst. If you were able to sample every single person that has ever posted with regularity on these boards, I guarantee the majority would have BW at WORST a 4th place album over all time.
    Not a chance. The bulk of these boards would put BWGK behind RTT, UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, BS, LWS if you count it, and AFTW.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You need to calm down man.

Also, I can assure you that Ants join date is not necessarily indicative of how long someone has been around the DMB online community. I know, for example, I have been around a lot longer than whatever my join date says.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
    Shagadelic
    J

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You need to calm down man.

Also, I can assure you that Ants join date is not necessarily indicative of how long someone has been around the DMB online community. I know, for example, I have been around a lot longer than whatever my join date says.

it's all good...These boards just indicate a random sampling, got it...am aware.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
    jsied55

My Tour Central Stats

Ya my join date isn't earlier than yours, that has no correlation as to when I started listening to the band...as Hilly states there are plenty of pretty hardcore fans who are still not even on these forums.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    as Hilly states there are plenty of pretty hardcore fans who are still not even on these forums.
    And they never will be.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

My Tour Central Stats

I guess we better drop Alpine down a peg into the class of Deer Creeks, Hartford, WPB, etc. That way there are no high expectations.

Good thing the tailgate didn't suck I assume or else this thread would have been a suicide note I suppose.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote