Alpine N1 Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
nrstine

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine N1 Review

Finally Alpine weekend had arrived and I couldn't wait to head out! Planned on just sitting lawn with some buddies who wanted to save some money, until they all bailed the night before which left me scrambling to find a pavilion seat. Lucked out and sat 202 LL and had an awesome group of people around me.

Bayou- Not exactly what I was expecting, but hey, it's Alpine so I danced my ass off and sang every word. Great energy and got everyone going.

Belly Belly- First time hearing this live and loved it, kept the energy going.."You can't get too much love!!"

So Right- Saw Dave pull the electric and since he already played Bayou I had this in mind. "Roll on!!" The place was jumping at this point and I think this song fits perfectly for Alpine, "Our love is so right...I won't waste a minute here tonight"

Love how Dave kept commenting on the smell, "Yall always smell good here!" Thought that was funny.

Spaceman- I know some people don't enjoy this one but I have zero problems with it. Fun song that they enjoy playing and I LOVE hearing Rashawn on it. Man did he kill this, I can never get enough of him on the trumpet, every note is always perfectly placed.

Warehouse- Heard the first couple notes and screamed "Warehouse!!" I was just hoping I wasn't wrong and then.. "Say I'm leaving!!!" Love this intro, great jam by Tim with the crowd singing Louie Louie, and then Rashawn kills it again.

Nancies- Had a feeling we'd get it and man was the energy just unreal at this point. Great version even with the crowd singing the first verse, Boyd sounded pretty good as well.

Save Me- Very cool hearing this full band for the first time, good performance all around.

Captain- AWESOME! Really had to take a piss but wanted to hear as much as I could so I quickly ran out during the end.

Kill the Preacher- Missed most of this during the bathroom break, but listened to the tape and it was a nice little tune. Then...

DDTW- YES!! Man this song never gets old, they play with so much energy and you can never get sick of Dave rolling his eyes to the back of his head, wailing at the top of his lungs. Took my first look around Alpine at this point and everyone was jamming and screaming along with him, very cool stuff!

Snow Outside- Really wanted to hear this because it's a favorite of mine off AFTW and I thought it was great! Very chill song and while others didn't enjoy the Tim/Stanley solo during this I loved it! Just a great jam all together with the crowd singing Sweet Emotion during it and Dave closing out singing it as well. Tim and Stanley really had a connection this weekend and fed off each other extremely well.

Fool to Think- Hell yes! Had never heard this live and was a very nice surprise, enjoyed singing every word!

Granny- Love hearing this and its one of my favorites "BABY!!.. LOVE!!" Awesome energy and everyone was feeling it!

What Would You Say- Another great live tune that kept the energy rolling with everyone dancing and singing. Looking at the whole crowd it looked like a sea just waving back and forth with all the dancing, very fun!

Space Between- Was hoping for another upbeat jam to keep it rolling, but didn't mind this at all. Awesome arrangement, probably the best version I've heard.

You Might Die Trying- Heard this one a ton before, but still enjoy it because the boys love playing it. Didn't hear much from Jeff to this point so it was good to hear him wail away, great job by him. Timmy sounded great with the horns coming in behind him towards the end, you could tell Dave was feeling it and man did he lay down an awesome scat with so much energy/passion and the cheers after were deafening.

Everyday- Didn't mind hearing this at all, fun sing a long with the "Hani, Hani!" Again Dave was really feeling the energy and looked like he was having a hell of a time. Then this went straight into...

Ants- Hell ya!! So much energy from everyone. When the snare hit everyone in the place started jumping and grooving along. Very good version, especially liked Boyd's jam with Carter mixing up the beat with pauses and crazy fills. Kept everyone on their toes and dancing their asses off. Horns came in at a perfect time to close it out and then right when I was screaming "Lights down, you up and..."

Halloween- YES!! The place went CRAZY!! Dave was perfect, everyone was singing, or should I say screaming their lungs out, along with him. "Why this lonely! Why this lonely!" Awesome way to close out the set.

Some Devil- Great solo choice, sounded perfect and got everyone ready for what was next to come. "Youuu said allllways and forever"

Drunken Soldier- So glad I got to hear this, such a great song live!

PNP->Rapunzel- Can never get too much rapunzel! Great way to end the night, would have thought it was the first song of the night with all the energy the band and crowd had. Jeff and Rashawn going back and forth jamming was awesome, man was I dancing like a fool. Rashawn hitting those long high pitch notes was just like "WOW!!" Didn't want it to end but it was a great way to close.

Wasn't all the songs I thought they'd play based off of previous stops but I can't complain AT ALL. The night was filled with energy and short, crisp songs (only 3 longer than 10 min). Ya they may have ended a bit earlier than previous years but they left it all up there and played a fantastic set. I was a bit skeptical at first about sitting alone but it turned out to be a great time. In my eyes, it was an awesome first night!! Alpine isn't all about the sets, it's mainly about the atmosphere and energy and they were both on display throughout the entire show..THAT is what Alpine is about!
nrstine is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Alpine N1 Review

Very good review
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
    So Ya Dig DMB?