No Alpine in 2014? - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #151
Funkhouser
Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: No Alpine in 2014?

First time I saw the word Alpine on this site I thought it was a laundry detergent

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #152
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    truth. but apparently there's no good reason to go to Chicago instead of going there(?) no financial benefits, no major logistical benefits, etc.
    For people who live north of Chicago? No, there really aren't any benefits. Chicago will likely be more expensive and it will take longer to get to if driving. Plus, we'd be paying the same (or more) ticket price for a venue that arguably isn't as good in terms of atmosphere.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #153
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    For people who live north of Chicago? No, there really aren't any benefits. Chicago will likely be more expensive and it will take longer to get to if driving. Plus, we'd be paying the same (or more) ticket price for a venue that arguably isn't as good in terms of atmosphere.
    i'm talking about for the band. the people who are making money. and how is the second part even an argument?? DMB hasn't ever even played at the venue!

Last edited by Keyz; 01-14-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #154
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    i mean i guess, but i still don't understand your point? i'm sorry that you are disapoointed, but what does the venue have to do with it? there are 50-75 venues (roughly) that DMB has played over the years across the US, have you been to all of them? what is "best"? crowd? location? parking? setlists?--it's different for everyone, so your "experience" carries no weight in this point

wisconsin lost a 2 night stand, it's shitty, but this it's the end of the world crap is ridiculous. if you are a fan of the band you'll find a way to see them and have a great time doing it. simple as that
    If you can't accept that Alpine is one of the most highly regarded venues that DMB regularly plays at, then you have no basis for even coming into this discussion other than to say you're sorry for our loss. That's the point. Alpine isn't just another average stop on the regular tour. It's one of the few venues that people make "mecca" like trips to. It's one of the few "bucket list" venues for DMB fans. It's certainly not the only one by any means, but it definitely is one and for the people who made a ritual of going to this venue every summer they aren't just losing another average stop on the tour that can easily be made up by any old venue that happens to be nearby.

If you can't understand that, then there is no reason to even be having the discussion with you. People who travel to the Gorge every year would understand if suddenly the Gorge was no longer a summer tour stop. Alpine is different from other tour stops similar to how the Gorge is different.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #155
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    i'm talking about for the band. the people who are making money. and how is the second part even an argument?? DMB hasn't ever even played at the venue!
    People go out of their way to go to Alpine. I'd be surprised if this new venue in Chicago will suddenly become one of the "bucket list" venues among DMB fans like Alpine is. I could be wrong, but I'm doubtful of that.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #156
    pay41whatyouget

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you can't accept that Alpine is one of the most highly regarded venues that DMB regularly plays at, then you have no basis for even coming into this discussion other than to say you're sorry for our loss. That's the point. Alpine isn't just another average stop on the regular tour. It's one of the few venues that people make "mecca" like trips to. It's one of the few "bucket list" venues for DMB fans. It's certainly not the only one by any means, but it definitely is one and for the people who made a ritual of going to this venue every summer they aren't just losing another average stop on the tour that can easily be made up by any old venue that happens to be nearby.

If you can't understand that, then there is no reason to even be having the discussion with you. People who travel to the Gorge every year would understand if suddenly the Gorge was no longer a summer tour stop. Alpine is different from other tour stops similar to how the Gorge is different.
    Perfect.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #157
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

it's no different than any other 2 night stand being lost

starlake
    camden
    deer creek
    WPB
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

if one of these 2 nighters is lost then:

it sucks for all the people in the area
    it sucks for the people planning to travel to those sites
    it's disappointing, we get it

and yes, alpine is highly regarded by the AM.org community, but that honestly doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. the sooner you realize that, the better.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #158
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pay41whatyouget View Post
    Perfect.
    imperfect
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #159
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    it's no different than any other 2 night stand being lost

starlake
    camden
    deer creek
    WPB
    SPAC
    Gorge
    Alpine

if one of these 2 nighters is lost then:

it sucks for all the people in the area
    it sucks for the people planning to travel to those sites
    it's disappointing, we get it

and yes, alpine is highly regarded by the AM.org community, but that honestly doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. the sooner you realize that, the better.
    Why do you think I care about "the grand scheme of things"? Losing Alpine directly affects me. I don't care about the community at large in this particular instance. I'm directly being impacted by this change negatively. Am I not allowed to express my displeasure with that?
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #160
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Here's one example to maybe show you what I'm talking about. A couple summers ago DMB played in Minneapolis at a local festival. I didn't go to the show because I prefer to spend my money on an Alpine experience instead. I don't go to Alpine just to see DMB. I go to Alpine for the Alpine experience. Alpine can't be replaced by some other venue that happens to be nearby. I'm disappointed that I can't have that Alpine experience this year like I've had for the last 10 years. To say I should be fine with this change is a misunderstanding of the situation. This isn't like the ice cream store running out of chocolate and now I need to have vanilla instead. This is like my nearby one-of-a-kind ice cream store closing shop only to be replaced by a mediocre bland ice cream shop that is also farther away.
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #161
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine is an iconic venue only in the minds of DMB fans.

DMB loves it so much that they didn't even do 2001 and they flat out skipped it for a Milwaukee music festival this year.

Again, get over it. Some of you are pathetic
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #162
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They have always played shows in Chicago in addition to Alpine. They used to always do Tinley Park (is that where they are playing this year?) in addition to Alpine. So what they are doing this year is not a suitable replacement for what they have done in previous years. This is simply downgrading what they have done in previous years in terms of tour locations.
    ALWAYS? no

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #163
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's one example to maybe show you what I'm talking about. A couple summers ago DMB played in Minneapolis at a local festival. I didn't go to the show because I prefer to spend my money on an Alpine experience instead. I don't go to Alpine just to see DMB. I go to Alpine for the Alpine experience. Alpine can't be replaced by some other venue that happens to be nearby. I'm disappointed that I can't have that Alpine experience this year like I've had for the last 10 years. To say I should be fine with this change is a misunderstanding of the situation. This isn't like the ice cream store running out of chocolate and now I need to have vanilla instead. This is like my nearby one-of-a-kind ice cream store closing shop only to be replaced by a mediocre bland ice cream shop that is also farther away.
    What is your opinion on pie?
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #164
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is true. When SPAC gets eliminated some year because they decide to move all the NY shows to the NYC area I'll make sure to tell all the people who made yearly trips to SPAC that they should just suck it up and stop complaining.
    big difference. nyc is 3 hours from spac. spac is the Albany/upstate ny market.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #165
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Get over it and stop acting like Milwaukee and 2 Chicago shows dont exist
    If anything one of the biggest cities in the world would get screwed because of Alpine. Suck it up people. These Chicago locations are better anyway.
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #166
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    big difference. nyc is 3 hours from spac. spac is the Albany/upstate ny market.
    My point was a highly regarded venue that people will travel to is located in an area that is not so easily accessed. People travel to SPAC from all around. People travel to Alpine from all around. Neither venue is easily accessed from nearby major city markets. Eliminating Alpine would be similar to eliminating SPAC. That was the point.
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #167
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

My Tour Central Stats

Alpine is practically the Milwaukee/Chicago market and guess what cities got their own shows? I don't see how people got screwed lol.
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #168
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Alpine is an iconic venue only in the minds of DMB fans.

DMB loves it so much that they didn't even do 2001 and they flat out skipped it for a Milwaukee music festival this year.

Again, get over it. Some of you are pathetic
    2001 was a stadium tour year. Pretty dumb to say they don't like Alpine because they skipped it on a stadium tour year.

It's alright to admit that you don't understand this situation. I won't judge you for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Absolute34 View Post
    If anything one of the biggest cities in the world would get screwed because of Alpine. Suck it up people. These Chicago locations are better anyway.
    For people living north of Chicago what makes these other venues better than Alpine?
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #169
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alpine is practically the Milwaukee/Chicago market and guess what cities got their own shows? I don't see how people got screwed lol.
    To say Summerfest and this Chicago venue are the equivalent of Alpine is just naïve.

The people who live north of Chicago or west of Illinois (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.) who regularly attended Alpine got screwed. If you don't see that, then you have no business even expressing an opinion on this thread's topic.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #170
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To say Summerfest and this Chicago venue are the equivalent of Alpine is just naïve.

The people who live north of Chicago or west of Illinois (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.) who regularly attended Alpine got screwed. If you don't see that, then you have no business even expressing an opinion on this thread's topic.
    Northerly Island is incredible.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #171
    Absolute34
    Phone Went West

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They get Milwaukee, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Alpine.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #172
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    ALWAYS? no
    Sorry, instead of "always" I meant to say "6 times in an 8 year period." 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009. Would you have accepted "they used to often play both Alpine and Tinley Park" instead of what I originally said?
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #173
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Northerly Island is incredible.
    If you live in Chicago. Until it becomes a venue that people deliberately travel from all over the country to see DMB play at because it's "incredible", I'll stick to my opinion that it can't compare to Alpine. For one thing it has a strict 11PM curfew. That right there already sucks compared to Alpine.

Quote:
    They get Milwaukee, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Alpine.
    So instead of 2-nights at Alpine (a premiere venue for DMB) we get 1 night at the Summerfest venue. Yippee!

Last edited by Benny003; 01-14-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #174
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

benny, calm the fuck down, seriously, everything will be ok

we get it, you're disappointed because of the alpine experience, atmosphere or whatever intangible you want to slap on there

it's still DMB, northerly island could turn out to be great, or it could be horrible

i'm sorry you have to drive farther now, i'm sorry your favorite venue is being skipped, but seriously, let it go
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #175
    deceit

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

There is so much butt hurt in this thread right now you guys.

2023 - Woodlands, Dallas, Arkansas, Summerfest, Gorge x3
    Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #176
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Fact: DMB is not playing Alpine Valley in 2014.

Fact: This thread is closed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    Closed Thread