WPB N1 7/19 Review! - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
jets42689

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

WPB N1 7/19 Review!

Good Morning! Cant wait for tonight. Last night was a great experience though. Scored VIP box tickets at the last minute. Originally had row 6 section ee (back center) but my dad dropped out, so it was just my mom and I. Sold those three and bought two VIPs for only $60 total!

Wasnt able to tailgate unfortunately (work, I will be out there all day today), But the VIP lounge was pretty cool. Free buffet with bbq (food kinda sucked though) and a band was playing before the show. Nice little area inside the venue.

The VIP boxes were awesome. Dead center right behind section two on high top chairs, very comfortable. Blind Pilot was better than I expected. Very mellow and slow, but the lead singer has a great voice and it was a nice warmup.

Finally out came the band and Dave had the twelve string in hand. That had me very hopeful, and when he busted out BEF I went nuts. This was my seventh show and I still hadn't heard Bartender (my fav song) and I was very hopeful at this point. When I saw him switch guitars after BEF I was a little disappointing but he went straight into Granny so didnt have much time to be down lol . Granny was fantastic as usual, really got the crowd going. Belly Belly Nice kept the energy high, but as usual I was dissapointed to hear no Boyd solo. He was playing, but couldnt hear him at all.

Then Spaceman came on. I think this may be the most misunderstand and underrated song here on Ants. I know this is a touchy subject. Heres my brief argument. 1: It features a nice little opening drum solo and some great fills from Carter all the way through. 2: It has a catchy chorus. 3: It also features some great horn fills and a nice solo section at the end. It really is a good song, the hate is unwarranted! It segued into cornbread as usual, which although isn't their best, it rocked out the venue. This was only my Mom's second show and while she likes the band she isn't a die hard like me. Spacebreadz was a highlight of the night for her. And I think she has a good ear for music. Cue the hate.

If only was next. Having heard this with Roger Smith in Tampa last year I didnt think a version could touch this. In fact, I run to the bathroom for the first half of the song, which I dont regret. The jam w/ Malta was fantastic though. He really is amazing and I am so glad he made the trip. Take me to tomorrow was ok. A nice quick song that I had not heard yet so no complaints. Nothing special but a good cover and features some great vocals from Dave.

Shake me: Bleh. 5th time in 7 shows Ive heard this. But it got the crowd rocking again so theres that.

Crush: What a fantastic version. The jam was incredibly on point. This was a highlight of the night for me, it was really perfect.

Reaper: Not my favorite cover but handt heard it live so I guess Ill take it. Rashawn was on cowbell but kept it so far from the mic that you couldnt even hear it. Crowd was not as into this as I had expected.

LITHOG: another pee break. Got back for the jam though. Malta again, absolutely fantastic. (Hope hes back tonight on classics like say goodbye or even two step which would be interesting)

So Right: Havent heard it and was solid, nothing special but you cant go wrong with so right.

KTP/DTTW: Nice little intro, would love to see KTP develop, heard DTTW 4/7 but cant ever go wrong with it.

Recently: Saw it in Boston earlier this year and was fantastic again.

Everyday: Had a great Boyd/Malta jam on it, first time seeing this live and it was fantastic!

Ants Marching>Halloween: Actually surprisingly unique. There was a moment in the jam where the band completely cut out and Boyd went on for a number of measures. Heard a million versions of this song and cant remember them every doing this. The segue to Halloween wasnt all the smooth, but enjoyed it anyway. (Still think Halloween is a little bit overrated)

LBV in E1 was a treat. I was lucky enough to see it debut in Boston, and that version was better. Still a nice spot for that song. They cut DS which was kinda dissapointing...

PNP Repunzel to close was a little dissapointing for me. It closed N1 AND Tampa last year (was at both shows) and my parents' first show was N1. My mom had no idea it had closed last year though lol. Still a great song.

All in all, fantastic time. Got a little drunk and am kinda hungover, but going to be out there ALL day today tailgating. Sadly sitting in the lawn tonight, going with too many ppl. Expecting a great show tonight. Wish they would bust out Bartender but w/ BEF already being played i dont count on it. Would love a Last Stop or something special, but no matter what Im sure Ill be happy. Hope to see you guys out there, and hope you enjoyed reading this!

Last edited by jets42689; 07-20-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: mistake
jets42689 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: WPB N1 7/19 Review!

I agree with you on spaceman. Underrated and gets a lot of unwarranted hate. Hope you get your bartender.