Initial Thoughts: NOT the Big 4, but a solid record - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #91
bphlzl
busted stuff fan

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Initial Thoughts: NOT the Big 4, but a solid record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafugama View Post
Oh I don't think so at all. I think a large portion of this fanbase is extremely worried that once the bright shine of the newness wears off that they'll be left with something that's not that great. It's human nature to be more cautious when you've gotten burned in the past. After the Lillywhite debacle, Everyday & then Stand Up, encompassing an entire decade, the fanbase is used to expecting the moon and the stars and getting dirt. For BW, the fanbase was actually expecting less I think, and when this gem of an album leaked people listened to it and thought 'wow, this is really good... I have to give it at least like 2 months before I can say if it's as good as I really think it is'. Instead of going by their guts, a lot of people are afraid to trust themselves and are pretty much waiting for the other shoe to fall.

EDIT: It's like if you loved pancakes your whole life... You ate them all the time, and they were your favorite food. All of a sudden, you started getting zapped everytime you ate them. This scared lots of people off of eating pancakes overall, but there were still some people who liked pancakes so much that they dealt with getting zapped for a long time. Then for some reason, 10 years after all the zapping started, it stopped inexplicably one day. You aren't necessarily expecting a zap, but you are expecting something to happen, because all these years you've been zapped for eating pancakes, and you don't understand quite why it didn't happen. That is this album. People are loving it, but aren't quite sure why it's so good after all these years of being let down.

Not sure what relevance electrocution & pancakes have, but I think it's a somewhat decent analogy.
Just speaking for myself, of course, this is how I feel about it. Keeping the pancake analogy going, I like pancakes, with butter and syrup, and bacon on the side... maybe I've been spoiled. Big Whiskey is here, and I feel like I have three pancakes on my plate (LITHOG, Seven, Spaceman) with a spoonful of butter (Squirm), and a giant side of parsley (the rest of the album). Where is the syrup and bacon? I need sugar and fat and a giant glass of milk to wash it all down before I can throw the words "amazing" and "incredible" around.

"LeRoi Moore on the saxaphone - I know you know..."

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #92
    Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

..wat
    Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #93
    rojos88

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edskin View Post
    1. Grux/Shake Me Like a Monkey: Just a ton of fun. Gonna be a great live song and a good option to open shows. Kind of reminds me of Granny in that the lyrics and ideas aren't ground-breaking, but it's just really good music and a solid crowd-pleaser. Possibly one the best "dance" songs they've ever released. Well done.

2. Funny the Way It Is: One of the better radio releases they've ever had. I'm iffy on the lyrics-- I like some and I think others are cheesy (don't like the chorus much). But musically, it's pretty interesting and I really like bridge (which of course, is about a bridge). Not a song I'm probably going to still long to hear in ten years, but a solid effort.

3. Lying in the Hands of God: Pretty simple: This is one of the top 10 studio songs they've ever recorded. Beautiful, diverse music and Dave's vocals are near perfect. I really like the lyrics and the varied guitar sounds. The "Save your sermons..." part is awesome. The studio work here is so perfect that I'm not quite sure they'll be able to match it live. One of the very few DMB songs that might be better in studio (I also prefer Crush and Typical Situation in studio).

4. Why I Am: A really nice tribute to Roi. I like that it's upbeat and not sappy. So far, I prefer the live versions to the studio version. The ending lines are really cool.

5. Dive In: It's start out rough and I hate the first 3-4 lines of lyrics, but once he shifts to "I saw a bear on TV," the song gets very good from there. The chorus is catchy, albeit repetitve. I really enjoy the orchestra sounds in the background and Tim's solo is cool. Again, nothing earth-shattering here, but another solid effort.

6. Spaceman: A bit of an ode to the old Dave guitar sounds-- a "chill" song that reminds me a bit of the studio Jimi Thing. Again, this one has been well received live and the studio version is good as well.

7. Squirm: Here it is. I have a feeling this one will wind up near the very top of die-hard DMB fans catalouges. Totally in the Last Stop/Minarets mold, which is a very good thing for most older fans. Carter owns this song, as he does the majority of the album. The "drumbeats louder" part crescendos perfectly. This song could be epic live. A+.

8. Alligator Pie: Ah, this song is what Louisiana Bayou always wanted to be, but never was: a really funky, bluegrass jam that incorporates all aspects of the band. I don't really like the bridge on this song, but I can live with it. The studio version is WAY too short-- I can't wait to hear this one live-- this could be one of those 15 minute jams. Really cool sound.

9. Seven: I can't figure out if I love it, hate it, or am indifferent. Dave's falsetto on the live versions is terrible so far-- sounds much better in studio. But until he figures out how to sing this one, the fans at the shows aren't going to like it. Tim's guitar parts are really cool-- also can't decide if I like or dislike the lyrics. Weird song.

10. Time Bomb: This and Squirm will steal the show for most fans. Awesome build-up, solid lyrics, and a great ending. Another song that could be nuts live.

11. My Baby Blue: Very, very good song. Dave solo, which I wasn't sure about, but this one is excellent. Gonna be a wedding song for a lot of people Will work well at live shows as a mid-set break or first encore song.

12. You and Me: The one and only song that I really don't like. Might grow on me, but I doubt it. Decent guitar riffs, but the song is boring and repititive--chorus is annoying. I'm already skipping it whenever I listen to the album.

Overall:

Extremely good album-- not an A+, but not far off. Only time will tell if it compares to the Big 3-- we'll have to see if these songs translate live and if they have staying power, but this album is already ahead of Everyday and it destroys Stand Up.

One disappointment is track length-- the whole album leaves me wanting more-- which is a good thing I suppose. Lyrically, it's up and down-- some great, some cheesy. I think Dave has passed his peak in that department.

Can't wait to hear these songs live!

Great review minus the Dive In part. I think it has some of the best lyrics on the record and might be my favorite as of now.
    Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #94
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh I don't think so at all. I think a large portion of this fanbase is extremely worried that once the bright shine of the newness wears off that they'll be left with something that's not that great. It's human nature to be more cautious when you've gotten burned in the past. After the Lillywhite debacle, Everyday & then Stand Up, encompassing an entire decade, the fanbase is used to expecting the moon and the stars and getting dirt. For BW, the fanbase was actually expecting less I think, and when this gem of an album leaked people listened to it and thought 'wow, this is really good... I have to give it at least like 2 months before I can say if it's as good as I really think it is'. Instead of going by their guts, a lot of people are afraid to trust themselves and are pretty much waiting for the other shoe to fall.

EDIT: It's like if you loved pancakes your whole life... You ate them all the time, and they were your favorite food. All of a sudden, you started getting zapped everytime you ate them. This scared lots of people off of eating pancakes overall, but there were still some people who liked pancakes so much that they dealt with getting zapped for a long time. Then for some reason, 10 years after all the zapping started, it stopped inexplicably one day. You aren't necessarily expecting a zap, but you are expecting something to happen, because all these years you've been zapped for eating pancakes, and you don't understand quite why it didn't happen. That is this album. People are loving it, but aren't quite sure why it's so good after all these years of being let down.

Not sure what relevance electrocution & pancakes have, but I think it's a somewhat decent analogy.
    You are the John McClane of teh Interwebz, cuz you killed it just now.
    Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #95
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    In terms of meaning though it makes enormous amount on sense to put them there. MBB is a goodbye to Roi and You & Me is about moving on again with the living world. Musically they may be safe, but in terms of meaning it makes the most sense to end the album that way.

I would have put any other additional tracks (Shotgun) in the middle of the album.
    That's what I said but Swizz didn't buy it.
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #96
    Swizz2007

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I mean, I'm glad some people are happy with the way the album ended, but I just think the conclusion is not fulfilling on a musical level.
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #97
    efraser77
    026 | Grux Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swizz2007 View Post
    Yeah I mean, I'm glad some people are happy with the way the album ended, but I just think the conclusion is not fulfilling on a musical level.
    I understand what you're saying, there could have been more of a punch at the end. And I could be reading too much into it, but I really feel like Dave wanted this album to end on an upbeat note, so it could not have ended with Shotgun or "I WANNA BELIEVE IN JESUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS." Instead, that line is the end of the tumultuous journey, then Dave says goodbye to Roi, and then looks optimistically to the future with his family.

EDIT: That's not to say that they couldn't have stuck Shotgun at #4 on the disc or something...
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #98
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post

I've never recieved a better compliment in my life.

Quote:
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #99
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Jim, What is your overall opinion on the album? You're one of the few people who's opinions I actually take seriously... May not agree with them, but you actually have them and back them up... What are your thoughts on the album, and where do you think it stands (not necessarily in terms of ranking the albums) historically with the band?
    I listened to The April Sessions only two or three times, then held off until I thought I'd be getting the final copy. The last thing I wanted was to get attached to something that wasn't the "real" thing. Most of TAS impressed me and was pretty good throughout. I loved Dive In, Squirm, and Baby Blue immediately; and reversely, I did not enjoy Spaceman, Time Bomb, and You & Me to an extent. Then the 320kb leaked, I gave it a listen numerous times, and now have some solid views on each track and the entire album.

1.) Grux. Obviously the saxophone work is good stuff; really don't think anyone is arguing that. Carter reminds me a bit of American Baby Intro, and whoever mentioned it earlier, yes, there's a ticking (clock/watch?) in the middle somewhere. Regardless if I'm first going to turn some music on, or of what music I'm listening to at the time, or what song ends, I really can't pass up this track both if my intentions are to hear SMLAM or pick a Big Whiskey song anyway.

2.) Shake Me Like A Monkey. As of TAS and up to right now, it's my favorite song of the 14 tracks. It doesn't seem to get the slightest bit old in any sense. With so much happening, it's still at the point of finding something new with each listen. Also hard to disagree with how catchy it is, and would make a monster single in my eyes. After the newness wears off and time passes, I definitely see this song remaining among my favorites, not only of this album but in my top 30 or 40 for sure.

3.) Funny The Way It Is. A lot of people said it doesn't fit too well with the rest of the disc, and sometimes I agree, and see where they're coming from. However, once I turn it on or it's up in a straight-through listen, it flows nicely. Maybe it's because it was released so much earlier, but I find myself forgetting I enjoy it as much as I do, then when it's on I can't skip it. From a personal experience, many of my friends who are casual at best DMB fans have unanimously enjoyed hearing it. If people consider it one of the middle of the road or even bottom songs on the album, well, obviously that says a lot for the other tracks since this one is solid.

4.) Lying In The Hands Of God. For whatever reason, the second I heard about/of this song, I figured it'd be my favorite. A gut instinct, I guess - and it's lived up completely, currently rivaling SMLAM for my favorite track. Unknowing that Big Whiskey is all new material, I easily could've believed this track was made/written/recorded/whatever years ago. LITHOG is the whole package in my book. This studio version has to be among the top songs the band has done, ever.

5.) Why I Am. I think this song is pretty basic, but it's been completed almost perfectly. The lyrics are very good, and I like that there wasn't an overload of Tim as there very well could have been. My only drawback is the horns from TAS were removed, but I guess that's what I get for listening to leaks and demos. I'd be okay with this being a single as most think will eventially happen.

6.) Dive In. Immediately enjoyed this song on TAS, and it remains a top track now also. A good example of how good it is, with probably my least favorite line/lyrics on the entire album ("Tell me everything is all taken care of/by those qualified to take care of it all"), it still finishes in my top 4 or 5. I like the piano a lot and the lyrics too, both things a good amount of people on Ants have noted as things that bring the song down. Oh well. Ah, and the fade downward at the end = .

7.) Spaceman. Again, first reaction was that I didn't like it. It's grown slightly on me since, but still is a bottom 3 song. Don't care too much for the lyrics, and something about this song I really can't stand, but haven't figured it out yet. Usually towards the ending of the song I am kind of like, "well, it wasn't that bad after all", but maybe that's just because the song is over and something way better is coming up next.

8.) Squirm. Top 3 or 4 track for sure; just a straight up monster. It's one of the songs that can be described as both beautful and haunting at the same time. Sometimes I find myself irritated with the "drum beats louder" part, but that's more or less me subconciously trying to be picky with the song. I think this one is going to have a lot of staying power, both in the arguement of great studio tracks the band has done, and also potentially live. The strings are just amazing.

9.) Alligator Pie. The back and fourth pace is literally fun. It's not the "epic" track, but it could still wind up being one of the best live songs from Big Whiskey. Undeniably catchy, I've got it stuck in my head probably the most out of all the new stuff. I don't really agree with all the comparisons to Louisiana Bayou, but the fact this should basically shelf Bayou for a long, long time is one of the greatest +'s out there.

10.) Seven. The April Sessions version was weak on horns, but as expected they were all over the Big Whiskey cut; definitely my favorite part of the song, hands down. The lyrics are fine, but I think the "garden hose" line easily could have and should have stayed. That seems to be a minority stance, but whatever, I'm usually in the minority anyway. I also enjoy the falsetto to start things off, which again seems to be opposite of most people.

11.) Time Bomb. It got the most hype/praise, right? To me, that probably hurt it, as I don't think it's lived up whatsoever. The song starts off great, really. My gripe is obviously with the ending, since that's where most with a problem seem to have it. For the 100th time, yes, I understand the concept of the song and, "It's exactly like a Time Bomb, just blowing up out of nowhere!" Thanks for pointing out the most obvious observation, but just because it works in context or concept, doesn't mean it's good. The beginning/middle should have been drawn out and developed a lot more, leading to the build up in a much nicer approach. If the song was basically cut (and fixed up) around the 2:35 mark and the ending was made into a reprise, I'd probably like it more (again, a ridiculous idea and probably way in the minority on that). Thankfully LITHOG and Squirm had great build-ups; unfortunately Time Bomb couldn't follow suit. It's just compacted together too much and there isn't good flow. This big let-down is a bottom 3 song for sure. Also, what was the point of beating up Dave's voice like this? Not worth it, in my opinion.

12.) Baby Blue. I really want this song in my top 3, but despite how much I love it, there's a few others that beat it out. This song is amazing, regardless of the Sister riff or whatever. The lyrics have almost that double-meaning where someone might think it's about one thing, but it's really about something completely different. Being a fan of Sister, the slight modification or evolution from it definitely sits well in my book. The big strings are good on the final version, but honestly, I did enjoy TAS version better. Dave just going to town on his own, you could hear the feeling in his voice; it's straight up him pouring his heart out, so well too. It'll be hard to replace the album version on my iPod, but TAS cut somehow tops it for me.

13.) You & Me. Just because a song is low on a rankings list doesn't mean it's 100% a bad song. This song is in my bottom 3, but that's mainly because there has to be a song that finishes at the bottom; everything else is just that much greater work. Many people have been coming around to this after hearing the Big Whiskey version, so that's good. It was nowhere near as bad as many first said. The big strings also help big time. The way Y&M begins set me up for disappointment, as I thought the entire song would be at the same pace or in the same direction, but the chorus is both musically and lyrically weaker, thus dropping it in rank. It's not an auto-skip type of track, though - not yet, at least.

14.) #35. I don't know what some people were thinking was going to happen with this. I learned it was entirely made up of LeRoi playing a little part, then looping it as others joined in. It's a great way to close out an album all about and dedicated to him too. What anyone would get out of making this looped track longer is beyond me. It's not worth mentioning in a song rankings list, but still a nice treat.

I think Stefan and Carter crush this album, more Boyd definitely would've been nicer all throughout, and a good portion of the time there was too much Tim. Juding it as a new album on it's own, the work is there to be rated 4 out of 5, or a strong B/B+. In comparison to the rest of the band's work, I'd give it a 3 or 3.5 and B-. The "Big 3" argument, while overplayed (especially around here), is legit, though. Big Whiskey is still short of that status in my book, but with the road the band has taken since then, I think it's more that this album could easily be the first (and a big) step in a second "Big 3" scenerio. As good and borderline great as it is, assuming DMB makes another record, the next one could possibly top it - and that's somewhat amazing to me. Rob Cavallo returning would be big, and the usage of Rashawn and Jeff has a lot of potential too. As a tribute to LeRoi, I can see why and accept the way certain things ended up, and it's a fitting tribute to him in all ways possible.

I think Big Whiskey has a lot of staying power in all senses - live, studio, individually by track, and as a whole/complete album. This is "the answer" for sure many people wanted from this band. They're definitely "back". People are saying Why I Am and You & Me will probably be the next singles...? That's fine, no real argument against either I guess, but if the band released say Shake Me Like A Monkey as their second single instead...wow. I can't even imagine how big things could be.
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #100
    KitKatRaven41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    I liked it. Pretty chorus.

By far my fav track on the album...something about it reminds me of the LWS (which LWS is my fav studio effort) and i feel it could fit on that album...
    Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #101
    needsreplacing

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I think about Groogrux as the most 'experimental' band album they've ever done.

I happen to love that about it. I'm so glad it doesn't sound like the Big 3.
    Old 05-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #102
    mattyszow
    MattsMarching #43

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

i'd like a strictly instrumental version of the album also; the music on this thing rocks.
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #103
    mikepaschal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I personally love this album and put it with the Big 3 if not ahead of Crash when it comes to Studio Recording... can't stop listening to it
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #104
    made2heal

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

1) Before...Streets, Greatest Studio Album of all time as far as I'm concerned. The concepts on the transitions were so cool even if Halloween shouldn't have been on that album.
    2) Crash
    3) Under...And dreaming
    4) LillywhiteS, Sweet Up and DOOWWWWWN!
    4 1/2) Some Devil, really good as an album, mmm.
    5) You never Know, and maybe Captain just cause its a different version... I mean I know there all a bit diff. then LWS, but you know what I mean... You know.
    6) 50% of Everday and 50% of Stand Up.
    7) The other percentage of crap from those 2 albums...
    8) And so far, Big Whiskey only has me interested in 2 songs, but the clips from the extra songs sound better than the regular album, c'mon dmb, don't do us like that.
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #105
    Sweet Chicken
    deftones>>>>>>Radiohead

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would easily take this over BS right now, but certainly not over the Lillywhites. That's just me of course.

I thought the same thing and still kinda do because I am so attached to the Lilly's, but this album has grabbed hold of me in a very strong way.

Let the album sink in and I think with the way you feel about the band and wishing that they really try, you will see that this album is an accomplishment, specially considering all they went through last year.
    Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #106
    TheIdeaofYou41

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'm one of the few who was expecting good things from the first few clips we recieved. Haven't listened to the whole album yet, but i'm definitely pleased with what i've heard.
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #107
    Sweet Chicken
    deftones>>>>>>Radiohead

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I strongly believe that the album tells a story, as outlined by Jantz (PantalaNagaMan) and Brett (OneEyedFish), and while there's all sorts of turmoil as you go through it, it ends with a positive outlook, which is why You & Me was last, after even Baby Blue. Shotgun and Sugar Will didn't fit, especially at the end. But hopefully we'll get studio versions of those in time.

I agree. The first time I heard You and Me I thought to myself what's this total cheese?! After my second and third time through I couldn't get enough. It's like Dave comes in and sweeps you off your feet after he's just leveled you with Baby Blue.

Perfect end to a fantastic album.
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #108
    trippingbillie4

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think the addition of Shotgun on this album would take me from 'Guys, let's just enjoy this great album and not talk about big 3 or big 4 or whatever' to an unquestionable 'Big 4' album at least.

Agree.

A studio Shotgun and Sugar Will would only make this album better and would not take away from it at all.
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #109
    warehouse1421
    Waker > Morning Sun

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Time will only tell if there should be a Big 4. We'll see down the road how this album treats us. It's great right now, but when the hype wears down, I think that will definitely show how strong this album is after it's time has passed
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #110
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    I'm being cautious with it.

One thing I don't get is why they left horns out of Spaceman. Best part of that song.
    You and I have similar opinions on music, my friend.
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #111
    trippingbillie4

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

where can I find the april sessions?
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #112
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippingbillie4 View Post
    where can I find the april sessions?
    in your pm's
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #113
    Born To Run

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    in your pm's

thats a ban
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #114
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Born To Run View Post
    thats a ban
    I'm sorry your name is not in bold so shut the fuck up.
    Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #115
    Born To Run

My Tour Central Stats

i'm so sorry
    Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #116
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    I think Stefan and Carter crush this album, more Boyd definitely would've been nicer all throughout, and a good portion of the time there was too much Tim. Juding it as a new album on it's own, the work is there to be rated 4 out of 5, or a strong B/B+. In comparison to the rest of the band's work, I'd give it a 3 or 3.5 and B-. The "Big 3" argument, while overplayed (especially around here), is legit, though. Big Whiskey is still short of that status in my book, but with the road the band has taken since then, I think it's more that this album could easily be the first (and a big) step in a second "Big 3" scenerio. As good and borderline great as it is, assuming DMB makes another record, the next one could possibly top it - and that's somewhat amazing to me. Rob Cavallo returning would be big, and the usage of Rashawn and Jeff has a lot of potential too. As a tribute to LeRoi, I can see why and accept the way certain things ended up, and it's a fitting tribute to him in all ways possible.
    This is the first time I've heard anybody say anything along these lines... The idea that there would be essentially another group of albums that are considered great, but different in a way that they're almost not comparable to the original 'Big 3'... Interesting. Michael Jordan-esque if you will. I don't think anybody would ever compare the Bull's first three-peat to their second, at least in terms of style.

Good read--I might steal that hypothesis... Because what I've been thinking is that this album isn't necessarily the beast. I've compared it to the fastball high and tight. It's not the strikeout pitch, but it does setup the slider low and away, and that's the money pitch. Big Whiskey (as much as I think it's a great album) could be the album that gets people to re-notice the band. Could be the album that makes people turn their heads and go 'wha?' and then when they're paying attention again the next album is the one that really hits them... I think we're kind of on the same page in a way with that.

Quote:
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #117
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I'm sorry your name is not in bold so shut the fuck up.
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #118
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is the first time I've heard anybody say anything along these lines... The idea that there would be essentially another group of albums that are considered great, but different in a way that they're almost not comparable to the original 'Big 3'... Interesting. Michael Jordan-esque if you will. I don't think anybody would ever compare the Bull's first three-peat to their second, at least in terms of style.

Good read--I might steal that hypothesis... Because what I've been thinking is that this album isn't necessarily the beast. I've compared it to the fastball high and tight. It's not the strikeout pitch, but it does setup the slider low and away, and that's the money pitch. Big Whiskey (as much as I think it's a great album) could be the album that gets people to re-notice the band. Could be the album that makes people turn their heads and go 'wha?' and then when they're paying attention again the next album is the one that really hits them... I think we're kind of on the same page in a way with that.
    This pretty much sums up my exact thoughts about this album. And I hope we are right.
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #119
    joepsu0985
    Let's Go Pens

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

There are April Sessions? I mean the Lillywhites leaked. These are going to be out. Big deal. PM's are welcomed with a source.
    Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #120
    grace2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would not. Not even close at this point. But again, that doesn't mean it isn't a good record. I think it is. At least so far I ilke it.
    Wow he likes something DMB has done besides the Big 3. I don't believe this is actually him.