Comic Book Discussion - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #301
Tomriddle
Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
We may have jumped the shark. That, or Sony needs to have the rights to the Spider Man universe taken away ASAP
I don't buy it, didn't Sony have to scale down it's Spidey ambitions after Spiderman 2 more-or-less flopped?
Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #302
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Found something on Wikipedia about the T-Rex and Penny:

"The most famous and prevalently featured trophies are a full-size animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex, a giant replica of a Lincoln penny, and an over-sized Joker playing card. The T. Rex comes from an adventure on "Dinosaur Island" (Batman #35, 1946); the penny was originally a trophy from Batman's encounter with a penny-obsessed villain named the Penny Plunderer (World's Finest Comics #30, 1947), but was later retconned into being from an encounter with Two-Face. Other "keepsakes" in the cave come from "The Thousand and One Trophies of Batman!" (Detective Comics #158, 1950). These three stories were reprinted in Batman #256."
    Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #303
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Found something on Wikipedia about the T-Rex and Penny:

"The most famous and prevalently featured trophies are a full-size animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex, a giant replica of a Lincoln penny, and an over-sized Joker playing card. The T. Rex comes from an adventure on "Dinosaur Island" (Batman #35, 1946); the penny was originally a trophy from Batman's encounter with a penny-obsessed villain named the Penny Plunderer (World's Finest Comics #30, 1947), but was later retconned into being from an encounter with Two-Face. Other "keepsakes" in the cave come from "The Thousand and One Trophies of Batman!" (Detective Comics #158, 1950). These three stories were reprinted in Batman #256."
    Nice, thanks! That's been driving me nuts.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #304
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Just got Amazon Prime. It has the entire Batman The Animated Series! Any other fans? Some solid Batman stories.
    Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #305
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Just got Amazon Prime. It has the entire Batman The Animated Series! Any other fans? Some solid Batman stories.
    Wow! I didn't realize that. I have Prime too so I'll have to watch a few episodes.

Also, I picked up Marvel's new Star Wars #1. Highly recommended if you're a Star Wars fan.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #306
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Is there any kind of collection that includes the original comics start to finish of some of the more popular characters like Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.? I'd really like to read them start to finish but there's no feasible way I can go and find all the originals
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #307
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Is there any kind of collection that includes the original comics start to finish of some of the more popular characters like Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.? I'd really like to read them start to finish but there's no feasible way I can go and find all the originals
    There's quite a few "collections" available that cover origin stories and major points. I know Superman, Batman and XMen have some solid collections. Usually they're in hardcover format.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #308
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Marvel Masterworks, or if you don't mind black and white, Marvel Essentials are much cheaper. You can also just subscribe to Marvel Unlimited and read them all on an ipad or android tablet.
    Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #309
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks guys. Think I'm gonna try Marvel Unlimited for a while. Seems like a pretty good deal.
    Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #310
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

My brother told me about Marvel Unlimited. So is that really every Marvel comic? And he said it's free? I'd do it since I've never read a Marvel comic (only DC), but all I have is an iPhone. As far as hard copy collections my local stores have always suggested the black and white volumes. DC has these too. I wanted to get into The Flash and there are really thick books from the very beginning and run a few volumes, or maybe up to 5. But they are black and white so that just didn't interest me.

I heard the Star Wars comic was great, so that is on my list.

Anyone reading The New 52 Action Comics Superman? Pretty entertaining, but kind of weird how they are written. They're a little hard to follow from time to time. Is that common with Grant Morrison? I never finished it, but I thought All-Star Superman was pretty weird too. Big Batman fan, and loving Green Lantern, but I'm having trouble with Superman. I started with New 52, but I really want to read older stories. The continuity just seems hard to get into. Where as Green Lantern has a pretty solid starting point with Geoff Johns' run. I've always been a Batman fan so I never had any trouble there. Flash is tough to figure out where to start also. I just started with New 52, but I'm sure there's older stuff that's good. I never thought comics would be so hard to get into. I've been at this for a couple years and I'm still learning.
    Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #311
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My brother told me about Marvel Unlimited. So is that really every Marvel comic? And he said it's free? I'd do it since I've never read a Marvel comic (only DC), but all I have is an iPhone. As far as hard copy collections my local stores have always suggested the black and white volumes. DC has these too. I wanted to get into The Flash and there are really thick books from the very beginning and run a few volumes, or maybe up to 5. But they are black and white so that just didn't interest me.

I heard the Star Wars comic was great, so that is on my list.

Anyone reading The New 52 Action Comics Superman? Pretty entertaining, but kind of weird how they are written. They're a little hard to follow from time to time. Is that common with Grant Morrison? I never finished it, but I thought All-Star Superman was pretty weird too. Big Batman fan, and loving Green Lantern, but I'm having trouble with Superman. I started with New 52, but I really want to read older stories. The continuity just seems hard to get into. Where as Green Lantern has a pretty solid starting point with Geoff Johns' run. I've always been a Batman fan so I never had any trouble there. Flash is tough to figure out where to start also. I just started with New 52, but I'm sure there's older stuff that's good. I never thought comics would be so hard to get into. I've been at this for a couple years and I'm still learning.
    Marvel Unlimited is definitely not free! It is like $10 a month. Plan it so you can binge read as much as you can in that month, or get the annual plan which is a bit cheaper. That's my plan once I get through all the trades I have accumulated. The wife doesn't want much more shelf space taken up with comics.
    Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #312
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    Marvel Unlimited is definitely not free! It is like $10 a month. Plan it so you can binge read as much as you can in that month, or get the annual plan which is a bit cheaper. That's my plan once I get through all the trades I have accumulated. The wife doesn't want much more shelf space taken up with comics.
    That sounds more like it. Still not bad.
    Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #313
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I've debated an iPad just so I can do the Marvel Unlimited. Seems like it'd be kind of awkward reading on a computer.

Then I realized a $400 investment to read comics is ludicrous.
    Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #314
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've debated an iPad just so I can do the Marvel Unlimited. Seems like it'd be kind of awkward reading on a computer.

Then I realized a $400 investment to read comics is ludicrous.
    If you're considering one just to read comments, but a used WiFi only iPad 2 for like 100$.
    Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #315
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    If you're considering one just to read comments, but a used WiFi only iPad 2 for like 100$.
    WHere are they only $100? I found them for around $200 used on Amazon but that was the only place I really looked.
    Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #316
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Got an iPad, signed up for Marvel Unlimited, and oh my goodness. I don't even know where to start. So many story lines, characters and series that I wanna read. I may start with The Infinity Wars or Civil War. Just to get my feet into reading comics and both seem really cool stories. Also, trying to decide which character I wanna start with. Leaning either Spider-Man or X-Men.
    Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #317
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished reading Sandman. What an amazing series. Neil Gaiman is wonderful. Amazing characters, storytelling, and just such an incredibly complex epic.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #318
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone gonna be checking out the Convergence event DC is going to be starting in a few months? The owner of my CBS was telling me about it last week and it sounds pretty cool. Supposedly, they're going to be pulling characters from all eras and other worlds, including one-offs and Elseworlds incarnations (like Gotham by Gaslight Batman, Red Son Superman, etc.). I'm really looking forward to it, although it does sort of tie-in to the Future's End line, which I haven't been reading. My comics guy said that it'll be easy to jump into, though.
    Old 01-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #319
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Don't know if anyone else in here is reading Batman, but the Endgame run has been phenomenal so far. Fantastic issue released today (#38), can't wait for the last two.

Also, Deathstroke has been very good. Batman: Eternal is hit-or-miss week to week but has been solid overall. Need something big to happen in these last ten issues because it's been dragging on for about a month now.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #320
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't know if anyone else in here is reading Batman, but the Endgame run has been phenomenal so far. Fantastic issue released today (#38), can't wait for the last two.

Also, Deathstroke has been very good. Batman: Eternal is hit-or-miss week to week but has been solid overall. Need something big to happen in these last ten issues because it's been dragging on for about a month now.
    Can't wait to get to Endgame. I've heard it's awesome. Just finished Zero Year: Secret City so I am still catching up.

Been reading Superman Action Comics...Morrison is weird. I just started Vol. 2 and I don't really get what's going on. So far it's in an alternate universe with a black Superman. I'm already lost.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #321
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Endgame is in fact awesome, Kev. You could actually start reading it without having read the rest of Zero Year, as there is essentially no connection between the two runs (besides one minor character who isn't key to the story).

Also, Amazon had 40-50% off on DC graphic novels today, if anyone is interested. I ordered Batman: Earth One, The Joker (by Brian Azzarello), and Blackest Night. Total cost was like $21. Can't beat that.
    Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #322
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of, saw this today: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=58836
    Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #323
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Signed up for Marvel Unlimited and have started reading Spider-Man from the start. First few issues were kinda rough but I think it was Issue #3 with Dr. Octopus was awesome. It's really picked up from there. Definitely a great investment.
    Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #324
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Endgame is in fact awesome, Kev. You could actually start reading it without having read the rest of Zero Year, as there is essentially no connection between the two runs (besides one minor character who isn't key to the story).

Also, Amazon had 40-50% off on DC graphic novels today, if anyone is interested. I ordered Batman: Earth One, The Joker (by Brian Azzarello), and Blackest Night. Total cost was like $21. Can't beat that.
    Damn, wish I saw this yesterday. If you haven't read The Joker yet then enjoy. I loved that book. It was a much darker take on the character, much like Ledger's Joker.
    Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #325
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Well this is interesting:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=114895

I hope this doesn't throw me off. I've been actively reading for a couple years now and still trying to learn how to keep up with everything. New 52 made that pretty easy. I just hope this doesn't get too confusing still being a new reader.
    Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #326
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished the Civil War series - man, I'm so pumped for Captain America 3. That was a great series. I hope Sony hands over the rights so they can use Spider-Man in the movie. Anyone wanna recommend another Marvel Universe event for me? So many to choose from I'm not sure where to go
    Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #327
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just finished the Civil War series - man, I'm so pumped for Captain America 3. That was a great series. I hope Sony hands over the rights so they can use Spider-Man in the movie. Anyone wanna recommend another Marvel Universe event for me? So many to choose from I'm not sure where to go
    Amy Pascal from Sony finally stepped down due to the whole email hacking. Rumor is that Marvel may try to negotiate for Spider-man again now that she's gone. I hope that happens. He needs to get back into the right hands and is also one of their biggest names. I can't imagine having a DC movie universe without Batman or Superman!

I so badly need to get on reading Marvel Comics. I need an iPad so I can get that app.
    Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #328
    bannar7

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I loved Rebirth of Thanos > Infinity Gauntlet > Infinity Crusade. Three interrelated stories. They involve the infinity gems so its somewhat similar to whats happening in the movies. Its good if you like the celestial stuff

Rate Your Music
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #329
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Just downloaded the Marvel Unlimited app. on my iPhone. Holy smokes. I'm starting with Civil War only because I've heard so much about it. From there I don't know where to start haha. There is so much to read, so it's pretty overwhelming. The iPhone version is pretty cool because it jumps from frame to frame. But I do wish I had an iPad.
    Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #330
    blumathu

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just downloaded the Marvel Unlimited app. on my iPhone. Holy smokes. I'm starting with Civil War only because I've heard so much about it. From there I don't know where to start haha. There is so much to read, so it's pretty overwhelming. The iPhone version is pretty cool because it jumps from frame to frame. But I do wish I had an iPad.
    That's funny, I just did the same thing. I have trades for the first 60 or so spiderman comics, but am tired of buying them so I paid for a month of unlimited and started binge reading a bunch of key spidey issues from the 60s and 70s. Just finished that and now starting Civil War, beginning with ASM 532 I think it is. From there I'm going to Spider Island and then I might jump to how that whole Superior Spiderman thing went down.