Will Kobe be traded this season??? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Will Kobe be traded this season?
Yes 12 44.44%
No 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
cruscott35

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Will Kobe be traded this season???

I just don't see it happening, IMO.
cruscott35 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Will Kobe be traded this season???

No, definitely not imo.

I wouldn't mind selling my soul (I've never liked him) to have him here in Chicago though.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I promised myself never to root for a single NBA team again, but I would probably watch more Lakers basketball if they got some new, young, team chemistry minded blood back here (Horford and Law).
    Old 10-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    No, definitely not imo.

I wouldn't mind selling my soul (I've never liked him) to have him here in Chicago though.

I'd love for Detroit to make a move for him, something like Rip, Tay, and Flip Murray for him (which works BTW).
    Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cruscott35 View Post
    I'd love for Detroit to make a move for him, something like Rip, Tay, and Flip Murray for him (which works BTW).
    Hamilton and Prince?!

Horrible. Never trade defense for offense. The Pistons are fine without a big scorer. They just need a more consistent inside presence and they're fine.
    Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinandimcool View Post
    Hamilton and Prince?!

Horrible. Never trade defense for offense. The Pistons are fine without a big scorer. They just need a more consistent inside presence and they're fine.

If you've got the chance to get one of the best players ever, you do it...I'd easily give up Rip and Tay for Kobe, so long as he doesn't rape any of our women.
    Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you've got the chance to get one of the best players ever, you do it...I'd easily give up Rip and Tay for Kobe, so long as he doesn't rape any of our women.

Except once you get yourself a good, defensive big man you have something similar to, I don't know, the team that BEAT Kobe (Shaq, Malone, and Payton) in the Finals three years ago?

If I were to make a list of teams that needed Kobe, Detroit would be way down. They have two of the best stoppers in the NBA (Prince and Hamilton), not to mention a 5-year long chemistry between them and Chauncey Billups/Rasheed. I would kill to have that core on my roster. They're just one spot away, which is at center. Kobe would rob Detroit of size at the 3 and the versatility of Tayshaun. I just don't see him improving the Pistons much of it all. They're the type of team every coach wants- a great defensive team that can score points without having to rely on an actual scorer.

Last edited by justinandimcool; 10-27-2007 at 12:24 AM.
    justinandimcool is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

The best move for him is Chicago. If they give away Nocioni and Gordon, as well as Tyrus Thomas or Noah, they don't lose much. They've still got the inside presence in Wallace and whichever forward they keep, and I'm sure Duhon and Hinrich can sustain the backcourt. Kobe would be a great fit, assuming he can stick to a gameplan.
    Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The best move for him is Chicago. If they give away Nocioni and Gordon, as well as Tyrus Thomas or Noah, they don't lose much. They've still got the inside presence in Wallace and whichever forward they keep, and I'm sure Duhon and Hinrich can sustain the backcourt. Kobe would be a great fit, assuming he can stick to a gameplan.
    Change "Gordon" for "Heinrich" and I'm happy.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

I'm pretty sure Kobe gets some say in where he wants to go, and he REALLY wants to come to Chicago. The now infamous quote "Get a Bulls jersey" should be proof enough of that. The Bulls will NOT gut the team to get Kobe. Everyone says the Bulls are one player away from a title. That doesn't add up though if you take away from the talent.

Hinrich, Duhon, Nocioni, and draft picks are pretty much the only things the Bulls could trade. Could you imagine if Gordon got teamed up with Kobe? Gordon would get a lot of wide open threes.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Kobe is an 8/4 player, so he has a no trade clause negotiated in his contract.
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, which means he can go wherever he wants.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Noconi can't be moved until after Dec 15th either.
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #14
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Rip, Sheed and Flip also work for Kobe...Sheeds big money contract is up after the 09 season, Flip is expiring after the year... I don't think it'd ever happen, Kobe to Detroit under any circumstance, but I'd get wood.
    Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

I don't understand how you can trade away a former championship team with 3-4 good years left in them for a player that can't play as a team, much less get them past the first round.

If Detroit trades away they're main parts, they're left with mediocre players and Kobe. They pretty much become the Lakers-first or second round exiters, and the Lakers become legit contenders. No logic.

Like I said, for teams like Chicago and Dallas, where if you trade away 3-4 great players you still have some parts left over to work with Kobe, the trade actually works well both ways.
    Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #16
    cruscott35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't understand how you can trade away a former championship team with 3-4 good years left in them for a player that can't play as a team, much less get them past the first round.

If Detroit trades away they're main parts, they're left with mediocre players and Kobe. They pretty much become the Lakers-first or second round exiters, and the Lakers become legit contenders. No logic.

Like I said, for teams like Chicago and Dallas, where if you trade away 3-4 great players you still have some parts left over to work with Kobe, the trade actually works well both ways.

With the last trade I mentioned, you trade Rip for Kobe (I don't think there's any doubt who everyone would want on their team)...You get rid of Flip Murray, a shitty FA signing anyway, and you lose Sheed (who only plays when he wants to play and will be suspended every year for techs).

You're starting 5 is...

Chauncy
    Kobe
    Tay
    Dyess
    Nazr

On the bench you've got Stucky, Hunter, and Afflalo backing up the 1-2...

Jarvis Hayes backing up Tay.

Maxiell, Amir Johnson (who scouts say if he would've done his two years of college and came out this season he'd be a top 5 pick).

You'd have to scour the globe for another big, but we're already doing that.

My team is much, much better IMO.
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3082513

The Kobe Bryant-to-Chicago trade talks are very real, and they've been real for a while.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls have been having daily discussions about Bryant trade possibilities for at least the past week, with Bryant's no-trade clause throwing a unique wrench into the situation, according to sources.

The Lakers are asking for a package built around Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, which is more than Chicago is willing to surrender. Also, Bryant would not want to play in Chicago if the Bulls surrendered all four of those players, believing there would not be enough talent left to compete for a championship, and he would veto that trade even if the Bulls and Lakers were both in favor of it.

Further complicating matters is the division within the upper echelon of the Lakers front office, a house divided between the competing desires of owner Jerry Buss, his son, Jim, daughter Jeanie (and her boyfriend, coach Phil Jackson) and general manager Mitch Kupchak. According to sources, one faction seems more determined than ever to part with Bryant, while others still are hanging onto the belief that Bryant can still be persuaded to stay in Los Angeles.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3082513

The Kobe Bryant-to-Chicago trade talks are very real, and they've been real for a while.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls have been having daily discussions about Bryant trade possibilities for at least the past week, with Bryant's no-trade clause throwing a unique wrench into the situation, according to sources.

The Lakers are asking for a package built around Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, which is more than Chicago is willing to surrender. Also, Bryant would not want to play in Chicago if the Bulls surrendered all four of those players, believing there would not be enough talent left to compete for a championship, and he would veto that trade even if the Bulls and Lakers were both in favor of it.

Further complicating matters is the division within the upper echelon of the Lakers front office, a house divided between the competing desires of owner Jerry Buss, his son, Jim, daughter Jeanie (and her boyfriend, coach Phil Jackson) and general manager Mitch Kupchak. According to sources, one faction seems more determined than ever to part with Bryant, while others still are hanging onto the belief that Bryant can still be persuaded to stay in Los Angeles.
    That package, even minus one of the big guys (I say you keep Deng), would help the Lakers immensely. They'd have a bigger inside presence (anything is better than Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum), and it'd make them a more athletic team. Gordon would also be excellent in the triangle offense- which now lets Lamar Odom have his time to excel. The potential would be there for LA and I'd be happy if I were a Laker fan.

Chicago would be very good as well, no doubt.
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That package, even minus one of the big guys (I say you keep Deng), would help the Lakers immensely. They'd have a bigger inside presence (anything is better than Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum), and it'd make them a more athletic team. Gordon would also be excellent in the triangle offense- which now lets Lamar Odom have his time to excel. The potential would be there for LA and I'd be happy if I were a Laker fan.

Chicago would be very good as well, no doubt.
    If the Bulls trade Gordon and Thomas, there's not a good team for Kobe to come to. I'd hate the Bulls if they traded Thomas. It was said during draft time that no one had a bigger upside then Thomas. He was just raw, but it looks like he developed an offensive game this summer.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    If the Bulls trade Gordon and Thomas, there's not a good team for Kobe to come to. I'd hate the Bulls if they traded Thomas. It was said during draft time that no one had a bigger upside then Thomas. He was just raw, but it looks like he developed an offensive game this summer.
    Hah, well you don't trade a guy as worshipped as Kobe without giving something big in return. Trading Kobe in a deal without Thomas would be a terrible move on LA's part, which wouldn't surprise many.

I say Kobe, with the defensive presence Deng and Ben bring, not to mention having a chance to play with an actual point guard in Hinrich, and if Nocioni doesn't get traded- that's a great team, instant title contender, assuming Kobe realizes he has teammates. Skiles isn't a pushover though, he should be able to keep Kobe in check.
    Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hah, well you don't trade a guy as worshipped as Kobe without giving something big in return. Trading Kobe in a deal without Thomas would be a terrible move on LA's part, which wouldn't surprise many.

I say Kobe, with the defensive presence Deng and Ben bring, not to mention having a chance to play with an actual point guard in Hinrich, and if Nocioni doesn't get traded- that's a great team, instant title contender, assuming Kobe realizes he has teammates. Skiles isn't a pushover though, he should be able to keep Kobe in check.
    Thing is, Kobe IS a team player. It just so happens that in LA, he is the damn team.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
    irishluck314
    @PatrickGorman3

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Im a huge Laker fan and if they trade Kobe who would be the face of the franchise are you kidding me Andrew Bynum....Lamar Odom???? this is sad
    irishluck314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #23
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I think he will. All parties are unhappy in Los Angeles. There are few teams that have what it takes to get him though. I don't think Detroit is one of them despite OPs wants. The Lakers will want a young talent and/or a superstar. The Pistons are full of very good players who aren't superstars and aren't classified as "young" anymore.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #24
    pauly8509

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Rip, Sheed and Flip also work for Kobe...Sheeds big money contract is up after the 09 season, Flip is expiring after the year... I don't think it'd ever happen, Kobe to Detroit under any circumstance, but I'd get wood.
    The Lakers wouldn't EVER trade Kobe for those three.

On a side note, I like my Bulls trading two of Noah, Thomas, and Gordon, and a package of draft picks for Kobe. Deng has to stay for this team to be any good.

White Sox World Series Champions
    pauly8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #25
    pauly8509

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Then compare these players to the Jordan Era Bulls

Hinrich - Kerr

Kobe - MJ

Deng - Pippen

Rodman - Wallace

Smith / Whoever - Longley

Nocioni - Kukoc

I like it...

White Sox World Series Champions
    pauly8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #26
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Yea, I think there is a good chance.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #27
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Certainly possible.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #28
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Funny to see this old thread. Yeah, pretty sure Kobe staying in LA was the best possible outcome. Well, for me. I'm a Laker fan.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote