New album opinions - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #61
RJBorg41

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New album opinions

Brace yourselves for the Lovely Ladies to be on the album and rape the "Idea of You"

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #62
    Sully617

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DreamingStreets View Post
    I'd prefer Alanis Morrisette over the ladies, but it sounds like she'll be busy this next year.
    That would be awesome. Saw her in August and she was completely on-point with her show, I think that would be a good addition. Do I think it would happen? No, not with her kid being in the picture, and without her being pissed off and revenge driven like in her old stuff- wouldn't be the same, still good, but no.

In respect to the OP, AFTW was something that had to grow on me over time, but I didn't think it was bad. I don't see Dave doing a live/not live album. I personally hate those because I tend to favor one disk over another, and it feels too broken up for my taste. I see all new songs, but I'd like more, IDK, emotion's not the word, neither is variety, I don't know. I want good Jam songs. (don't we all)

I don't care for LL to be on the CD, they work well with some songs, and not with other ones, so why feature them on an album? Seems like a waste of time. What I would like to see is a little less Tim on the album, there's only so much of his playing that I can take, it's too ambient and, well, Tim like for me. I don't care for his play style that much (on repeat) so balance out the group a bit more and I'd be happy.

Either way I'll be buying the album, and eventually I will love it, but I don't see it making my top three. (I'm not really a fan of the studio aspect of BTCS or his other early stuff, love it live, not so much studio)

Let the hate begin.

Make the most of what you've got, right?
    Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #63
    Sully617

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drunken_Soldier View Post
    Really? I dig the vibe of Druken Soldier's second half, honestly. There's worse stuff to be heard on AFTW.

Also, I don't get all the bitching about GrooGrux. It's their second best album since 2002, and had a couple of great songs, like Alligator Pie and Spaceman. Sure it sounded different from classic (90s) DMB, but so did Busted Stuff and Stand Up.
    GrooGrux and Stand Up were both good Cd's in their own right, different, as you say, but still good.

Personally I haven't loved one CD start-to-finish from them where I was left sppechless. I hope for that day though
    Old 09-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #64
    jets42689

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I find it funny that some of you have essentially already determined that you don't like the new album, and yet they haven't even written/recorded yet. I find it funny that the fact that Cavallo is producing already makes the album a loss for some of you. In the end, if the band writes good music it won't matter (that much) who produces. And finally, I find it interesting that some of you would rather have old songs on the new album. That's just essentially another version, that you will probably pick apart and will leave you unsatisfied that it doesn't sound as good as that live version from '04. How can you prefer that to new music that doesn't even exist yet?

Some of you set yourself up for disspointment with your attitude. It's almost like you prefer to be unsatisfied. You prefer to point out the negatives in a set/tour/album and focus on that. It's depressing.
    Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #65
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jets42689 View Post
    I find it funny that some of you have essentially already determined that you don't like the new album, and yet they haven't even written/recorded yet. I find it funny that the fact that Cavallo is producing already makes the album a loss for some of you. In the end, if the band writes good music it won't matter (that much) who produces. And finally, I find it interesting that some of you would rather have old songs on the new album. That's just essentially another version, that you will probably pick apart and will leave you unsatisfied that it doesn't sound as good as that live version from '04. How can you prefer that to new music that doesn't even exist yet?

Some of you set yourself up for disspointment with your attitude. It's almost like you prefer to be unsatisfied. You prefer to point out the negatives in a set/tour/album and focus on that. It's depressing.
    What are talking about...you do realize you're on Ants? It's much more depressing to attend shows in the Florida heat and humidity.
    Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #66
    aclark0622
    man/bag of sand

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah but let's be honest. No one's getting fooled by this band again. It will be Big Whiskey 2.0, all new tracks, Tim heavy, horn section heavy, no Boyd, and a bunch of dumb lyrics about licking people's bellies. Carter will sound awesome though, so we've got that going for us.

If the acoustic set provided some inspiration for them and they took that into the studio, could get some cool results. Probably not with Cavallo being more rock-centric, and I just don't see them as a band that's gonna take any chances in the studio. (I mean, they couldn't with their live shows, so...)
    -andy
    Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #67
    Dreamingtr33

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
    I want all new songs. As was mentioned earlier, the older songs already have great live recordings available, and in the studio they may get butchered (or won't sound like how we remember them).

People on these boards always talk like the next album is finally going to be the one filled with old material, and then the band releases the next album with all new material. When they get in the studio, it seems like the band always get excited by new tunes and, personally, I don't blame them. Why live in the past when the future holds new possibilities?

Here is my prediction for the next album:

New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    New song
    I get that cant blame them for wanting to keep exploring its a natural thing for bands.

I personally and I'm sure the people on here would agree will say the same. I want an album with unreleased tunes and old stuff. So when they tour the following year and its an "album tour" those sets would be pretty awesome if those select songs are in constant rotation. Nothing against them wanting to expand their horizons it's natural like I said but I'm being particular selfish on this point and I'm usually not like that with them. Just wishful thinking
    Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #68
    WhoDidIt?

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just hoping for an album without a song completely about sex . . . at least if there is one I hope it's in good taste a la Rapunzel. That's really my only wish for the album.
    Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #69
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

no lily-white, no peace. cavallo will make this BW 2.0. maybe a odds and sods album will make it somewhat salvageable with him as producer, but if its all new material then yikes.
    Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #70
    onetwothree

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

There is a reason why the fan base like to here JTR, Idea of you and many of the tracks that never made it on an album, because a lot of those songs are great. The band has the ability to make a great album but they seem to be just happy putting average stuff out. They need to focus on the fan base this album and really dig deep, even though the last 3 albums were ok and not great the fan base still sticks by this band and it's time they put a solid album out from start to finish
    Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #71
    Coachman76
    Unlikely to agree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I completely agree about Drunken Soldier. The first half is a statement on the order of "Bartender" from the LWS and then the song collapses and the tempo change. It's a bailout ending and pathetic.

It wants to be Last Stop or Bartender and ends up being a fragmentary track like something from "Golden Slumbers".
    We will never forget, we will always remember
    Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #72
    JR41
    JR41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Good Good Time, new lyrics and consistent throughout the tour...
    Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #73
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aclark0622 View Post
    It will be Big Whiskey 2.0, all new tracks, Tim heavy, horn section heavy, no Boyd, and a bunch of dumb lyrics about licking people's bellies. Carter will sound awesome though, so we've got that going for us.

If the acoustic set provided some inspiration for them and they took that into the studio, could get some cool results. Probably not with Cavallo being more rock-centric, and I just don't see them as a band that's gonna take any chances in the studio. (I mean, they couldn't with their live shows, so...)
    This, unfortunately, is probably the truth.
    Old 09-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #74
    onetwothree

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Good good time needs to be on it the lyrics seem polished and also it changed from the Camden shows to the first night of the gorge with a nice jam at the end so that has me thinking they've been working on it
    Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #75
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJBorg41 View Post
    Brace yourselves for the Lovely Ladies to be on the album and rape the "Idea of You"
    Idea of You is already horrible. No doubt the Ladies would turn it into a radio hit that gets played back-to-back with Miley Cyrus songs though.
    Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #76
    Sugarwill22

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

How about recording location? Do you think they will try Haunted Hollow or stay in Seattle? I want them to go to New York and make an album that's not in anyone's hometown.
    Old 09-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #77
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sugarwill22 View Post
    How about recording location? Do you think they will try Haunted Hollow or stay in Seattle? I want them to go to New York and make an album that's not in anyone's hometown.
    Being in New Orleans definitely shaped Big Whiskey, so it would be interesting to see them record somewhere and be influenced in that way. Would be cool if they recorded in Austin and were influenced by the great music scene there.
    Old 09-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #78
    Panther41
    Since 1995

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I look in this thread, and I see a lot of people underestimating this band.

AFTW was freaking solid, all the way around. Big Whiskey was, too. I fully expect the next album with Cavallo to be great.

My best advice to everyone, during the lead-up to this next release: stay the heck off of the AntsMarching.org forums until a month after you've started listening to the new album.
    Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #79
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post

AFTW was freaking solid, all the way around. Big Whiskey was, too. I fully expect the next album with Cavallo to be great.

My best advice to everyone, during the lead-up to this next release: stay the heck off of the AntsMarching.org forums until a month after you've started listening to the new album.
    Who the fuck are you?
    Old 09-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #80
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Who the fuck are you?
    Who are you? His opinion is just as valid (imo more so) as yours.
    Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #81
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Who are you? His opinion is just as valid (imo more so) as yours.
    Telling people what to do is lame.
    Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #82
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

It's good advice though. Staying off Ants gives the best chance of an uninfluenced opinion.
    Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #83
    Weezerblather

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The guy was just making a point. I mean you've already made up your mind about the new album before the band has even started recording. That is way more "lame" than anything else I've seen in this thread.
    Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #84
    jsmitty

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    It's good advice though. Staying off Ants gives the best chance of an uninfluenced opinion.
    Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #85
    highlanders

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    63,000 posts.... the last 40,000 or so were probably since BW was released and it's all negative... give the next album a shot before giving it the death penalty
    Old 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #86
    Dreamingtr33

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVgXGw_XhRQ
    Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #87
    noelle95dmb

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post

Post is on point
    Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #88
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I backed away from Ants a little during the AFTW release...it helped. I think they were just giving some friendly advice...no sweat
    Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #89
    Julia Roberts
    Pretty Woman

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    if i was a betting man, i'd bet on all new songs
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I'd say it's likely all new songs.
    Well, there's a first time for everything

"Count down the time that you have left,
    In a jar try to catch try to capture it"
    Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #90
    tommy mandone

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    Well, there's a first time for everything

The already made an album with old songs from previous sessions...it was busted stuff, wouldn't be too terribly of a foreign idea for dmb but they are going to make new music
    Closed Thread