***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread*** - Page 380 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #11371
ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

what the hell is going on inside United? Di Maria must be kicking himself.
ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #11372
    mrignatious

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

United didn't field anything near a first team squad today, I wouldn't hit the panic button yet. Van Gaal has a long term plan in place and has experience managing at some of the biggest clubs in Europe.
    mrignatious is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #11373
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post
    4-0 Milton Keynes Dons over Manchester United Football Club. On the day they spent an English record transfer fee.
    Van Gaal has said at least 3 months to get this setup, but the summer games inflated the honeymoon and plan in place that things would happen faster.

With that being said, the team has to either stay the course as rough as it gets, alter the plan to work with the players currently on board since they obviously don't fit the new system or cut bait now.
    Old 08-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #11374
    johnsonc1

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    3-0?!? Now it's just funny. Let's have a laugh while we can
    I watched the whole game.
    johnsonc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #11375
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Why does this sport bring out the schadenfreude more than any other sport. I had as much fun today watching Man U get embarrassed as I would have if I was watching Chelsea beat MKD 4-0.
    Old 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #11376
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

One mustn't forget that when Van Gaal took over for Bayern he won only one of his first four games in charge. This was after taking over for Klinsmann who didn't fare so well in his tenure, ala Moyes. His big signing that summer when he took over was Robben from Madrid and we all know how that has worked out. Not saying that Di Maria will do for United what Robben has done for Bayren, but it is uncanny the current course, results and the team that the big signing has come from this summer.
    Old 08-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #11377
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    United didn't field anything near a first team squad today, I wouldn't hit the panic button yet. Van Gaal has a long term plan in place and has experience managing at some of the biggest clubs in Europe.
    Oh I did the exact opposite of hit the panic button. I purchased a home Di Maria jersey.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #11378
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Deadspin's review of the game is pretty funny and spot on...

Quote:
    Milton Keynes Dons of League One—that's the league below the league below the Premier League—put a goddamn hurting on Manchester United in a League Cup match today, beating them 4-0 to the delight of nearly everyone in the world.

This is incredibly embarrassing for United; Premier League teams may take it easy in matches like this, but the whole point of being Manchester United is that you should be able to roll out some starters and a few kids and crush fools.
    Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #11379
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Yikes! Just saw the score. Regardless of what squad was fielded or who is manager; these last three matches have shown the world that United is very very beatable. I think that aura of "oh christ we have to face United this week" has just gone out the window. That is hard to repair.
    Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #11380
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Are we all still falling for the whole "it was Moyes' fault?"
    Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #11381
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

But Van Gaal is a genius. He just needs time!
    Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #11382
    johnsonc1

My Tour Central Stats

Arsenal down to 10 men for the last 15 minutes of this game vs Besiktas. One goal could send them out of the champions league...
    Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #11383
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Two weeks in and I've already used my wildcard in the fantasy league. God my team was crap! On the plus side, my striker for Burnley might earn me some massive points in this weekends clash with United!
    Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #11384
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm off to Gorge in the morning. Hold down the fort, fellas. I'm meeting a real, live Stoke City fan from Stoke! Stoked!
    Old 08-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #11385
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsonc1 View Post
    Arsenal down to 10 men for the last 15 minutes of this game vs Besiktas. One goal could send them out of the champions league...
    Would you kind folks explain to a n00b how the Champions League fills out its brackets?

I understand there are three playoff rounds before the group stage and that the top 4 teams from the EPL are automatically entered into the 32 team group stage; and similarly for the other major euro leagues.

How are the three playoff/play in rounds filled out/ceded? Arsenal was 5th in last year's EPL standings so they had to play in, correct?

EDIT: When I said they were 5th last year I was looking at this year's current standings. They were 4th last year; which ironically confuses me even more hahaha.

Last edited by jrkarger; 08-28-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #11386
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm off to Gorge in the morning. Hold down the fort, fellas. I'm meeting a real, live Stoke City fan from Stoke! Stoked!
    Have a great time Chad and safe travels.
    Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #11387
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    Would you kind folks explain to a n00b how the Champions League fills out its brackets?

I understand there are three playoff rounds before the group stage and that the top 4 teams from the EPL are automatically entered into the 32 team group stage; and similarly for the other major euro leagues.

How are the three playoff/play in rounds filled out/ceded? Arsenal was 5th in last year's EPL standings so they had to play in, correct?

EDIT: When I said they were 5th last year I was looking at this year's current standings. They were 4th last year; which ironically confuses me even more hahaha.
    All clubs are put into one of four pots. Things like how often/recently you've played in the CL and how deep you go affects which pot you are in. Hence why Arsenal and Chelsea (though 3 and 4 in the league last year) are in the first pot and Citeh and Liverpool are in the third pot (despite being 1 and 2 in the league).

The pot is today. They select one team from pot 1, pot 2, pot 3 and pot 4. This makes up one group; rinse, repeat. No club can play another club from the same league until the quarter finals.

After the selections are made a knockout stage will commence. You play every club in your group twice (one away one home). Top two clubs in the group continue on, 3rd place gets placed in the Europa League.

I'm still relatively unfamiliar with how the playoff rounds to get in to the group stages works. I always thought 1st in the league is automatically in and 2-4 had to play their way in. But Liverpool didn't have to play in so who knows. Maybe someone with better knowledge than I can comment on that.
    Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #11388
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Also you can watch the draw live here: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/index.html

I believe it starts today at 10:45 AM CST (could be wrong though)
    Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #11389
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

^ thanks. Definitely interested to see how it falls out. Yeah the group stage draw is pretty straight forward on how that works. Still confused though on how the automatically qualifying teams are determined versus the ones who have to play in; like Arsenal.

I guess though it doesn't matter since really since the big boys automatically qualify.
    Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #11390
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

A quick peruse on wikipedia should give you some insight. Basically since Spain, England and Germany are the top ranked leagues, their clubs that ranked 1-3 place are automatically qualified for the group stages. Their 4th placed clubs are qualified for the 3rd round playoff. Other leagues below them (60 in all) have to complete in 1st and second round playoffs. The higher your leagues rank the more clubs that qualify.

For example France and Italy only get to have 3 clubs compete. So the clubs that got 1st and 2nd are automatically seeded for a group stage draw. 3rd place has to play in the playoffs.
    Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #11391
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

^ I actually just finished reading that. Makes sense now; sort of. .
    Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #11392
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Champions League draw is complete:

Group A: Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Olympiacos, Malmo

Group B: Real Madrid, Basel, Liverpool, Ludogorets

Group C: Benfica, Zenit, Leverkusen, Monaco

Group D: Arsenal, Dortmund, Galatasaray, Anderlecht

Group E: Bayern Munich, Manchester City, CSKA Moskva, Roma

Group F: Barcelona, Paris St-Germaine, Ajax, APOEL

Group G: Chelsea, Shalke, Sporting, Maribor

Group H: Porto, Shaktar Donetsk, Athletic, BATE

I really like Liverpool's chances in our group. I'm glad we got a glamor club in Real Madrid. Groups D, E and F should be exciting. Ajax, Roma and Galatasaray could provide massive upsets in their respective groups. Benfica, Atletico, Chelsea and Porto should have the easiest chance of getting out of their groups.
    Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #11393
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Excited to watch Bayern and Man City play a couple of times.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #11394
    johnsonc1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post
    Excited to watch Bayern and Man City play a couple of times.
    It's frustrating that city are in almost the same group as they were last year. Even tougher this year with the addition of Roma.

I thought about using my wildcard as well but since I am close to the top gonna wait until later in the season. Now that I understand the format I am really enjoying the league!
    Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #11395
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Some positive things to take from today's draw. United looked better in the last 20, but do need to find the back of the net to build confidence. Thought Di Maria looked good at times, the late subs all did their part to push the game, but the back line continued to make ill advised passes that put undo pressure deep in their own end.

Looks like Blind is a done deal. Have to think that will be it for the summer signings. Now it is time to find comfort in the system, the right players to execute it (I think Walbeck is a great fit, too bad Van Gaal doesn't see it that way), and build on it.
    Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #11396
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Nice to see Stoke get the win... And over City!
    Old 08-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #11397
    DynastyDrummer1

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Liverpool looked pretty solid today. Liked what I saw out of Balotelli.

Last edited by DynastyDrummer1; 08-31-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    DynastyDrummer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #11398
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Well it took United all summer, but looks like they are finally getting some business done on deadline day. Bummed to see Hernandez go, Kagawa never really seemed to find a spot, but excited by the prospect of Falacao and Blind coming on board. Time for Van Gaal to find the right starting XI and building some momentum, and that may include sitting RVP for Walbeck.
    Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #11399
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Been out of the loop for a few weeks really. United making all kinds of moves. Just landed Falco on loan.

Also, looks like I will be rooting for Bayern in the CL.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #11400
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Nice to see Stoke get the win... And over City!
    As luck would have it, the moment I met Craig and his wife Anna at the campground, was Saturday morning. I pulled up the NBC Sports live stream of the Stoke/City game for him to watch. Unfortunately, the reception wasn't very good, but in bits and pieces he got to see his club pull off the upset of the year. We celebrated by taking a picture in our respective kits. I'll send a link when I have one.

Tags
    soccer , uefa