** College Football Season ** - Page 4299 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #128941
hailtopitt
Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** College Football Season **

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
I get that coaches are just doing their job and have to manage a lot of factors with flaky kids. It's more the recruiting rules and lack of an early signing period that are the issue here than the coaches; I'm just saying that in a scenario where neither side has a bound commitment, my sympathies lie much more with kids who get screwed by it than coaches that get screwed by it.
1st bolded: that's exactly why i said it's ultimately the NCAA's fault with the culture they've created

2nd bolded: why? why do you feel bad for the kids over the coaches? that doesn't make sense to me. just because they are younger? gotta learn the ropes at some point.
hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #128942
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    1st bolded: that's exactly why i said it's ultimately the NCAA's fault with the culture they've created

2nd bolded: why? why do you feel bad for the kids over the coaches? that doesn't make sense to me. just because they are younger? gotta learn the ropes at some point.
    Yes, because they are younger and not being paid millions to have contingency plans. And yes, they have to learn the ropes at some point and it's how the system works, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #128943
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah not really sure how you side with coaches and schools on this.

I wouldn't really care if this was a big time recruit with multiple offers. A fringe player at UConn is a different story to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #128944
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, because they are younger and not being paid millions to have contingency plans. And yes, they have to learn the ropes at some point and it's how the system works, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Yeah not really sure how you side with coaches and schools on this.

I wouldn't really care if this was a big time recruit with multiple offers. A fringe player at UConn is a different story to me.
    i won't blame a coach for doing his job. just because he's making more money than the recruits doesn't mean he should do worse at his job to make the kid feel better.

and there's a reason this kid is a fringe player with an offer from UConn...he isn't that good

so when someone better comes along, you get bumped. that's what happens in literally all walks of life.
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #128945
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i won't blame a coach for doing his job. just because he's making more money than the recruits doesn't mean he should do worse at his job to make the kid feel better.

and there's a reason this kid is a fringe player with an offer from UConn...he isn't that good

so when someone better comes along, you get bumped. that's what happens in literally all walks of life.
    "Better" here is a stretch. It's a guy that fits the scheme of the new coach better.

And again, this wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if Edsall didn't already promise this kid he had a spot a week ago.

Quote:
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #128946
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "Better" here is a stretch. It's a guy that fits the scheme of the new coach better.

And again, this wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if Edsall didn't already promise this kid he had a spot a week ago.
    Better isn't a stretch at all...you know nothing about either of these kids besides the fact that the coach thinks kid#2 is better...that's literally all that matters.

don't blame the coach, blame the NCAA

coach is just doing his job and i applaud him for it actually. fuck these kids and their entitlement. promises get broken by recruits, coaches, ADs, boosters etc etc all the time in the NCAA

this is a non-story
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #128947
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

You still haven't addressed him promising the kid a spot. At the very least, that is messed up.

And the coach thinks he is better for his scheme, and I agree that's all that matters at the end of the day. But that far down the line at a school like UConn, saying kid 2 is definitely a better player/athlete is silly.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 01-20-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #128948
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You still haven't addressed him promising the kid a spot. At the very least, that is messed up.

And the coach thinks he is better for his scheme, and I agree that's all that matters at the end of the day. But that far down the line at a school like UConn, saying kid 2 is definitely a better player/athlete is silly.
    I believe you've already been told this is a non-story.
    Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #128949
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i don't think it's messed up. that's my whole point. so what if he "promised" him a spot. Recruits "promise" that they'll sign at school A and end up reneging to school B all the time...who cares?

and no, saying that a football coach thinks one kid is a better fit than another is not "silly", it's a calculated decision. it's called coaching
    Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #128950
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

I would like to see a December early signing period - lasting maybe 3 days in very early December. It would give kids a chance to play their entire senior year before locking into an agreement with a school - allowing both parties flexibility depending on how that season goes, but would lock in options for schools/players that are truly willing to commit to each other ahead of the rush. It would also make it clear to both parties if they need to start looking in different directions - if a player is unwilling to sign in December, the school can communicate clearly they are going to start looking at other options, and vice versa - if a school doesn't offer an early letter of intent, the student should start looking elsewhere.

There should be some sort of out clause if there's a coaching change on both sides, but there should also be a deadline on how long they can get out of it - maybe by the end of the calendar year, giving both parties enough time to find other options.
    Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #128951
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i blame the parents then. these are just kids.

i don't feel bad for this kid in particular because not many kids even get scholarship offers to begin with. so now worst case scenario for him is he'll have to do the college experience just like 95% of the rest of us? boo hoo

best case scenario he gets another scholarship somewhere else.
    About 95% of D1 schools have doled out all their scholarships already. They officially sign in just a few weeks. He was strung along and got screwed by a shitty coach.

And boo hoo? Scholarship money goes a long way when getting a degree puts a majority of graduates in dept. Kid worked harder than 95% of other kids. Great student, went above and beyond in and out of the classroom and off the field. A kid that works that hard shouldn't have to just do the "college experience like the rest of us."

Read the whole story.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #128952
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would like to see a December early signing period - lasting maybe 3 days in very early December. It would give kids a chance to play their entire senior year before locking into an agreement with a school - allowing both parties flexibility depending on how that season goes, but would lock in options for schools/players that are truly willing to commit to each other ahead of the rush. It would also make it clear to both parties if they need to start looking in different directions - if a player is unwilling to sign in December, the school can communicate clearly they are going to start looking at other options, and vice versa - if a school doesn't offer an early letter of intent, the student should start looking elsewhere.

There should be some sort of out clause if there's a coaching change on both sides, but there should also be a deadline on how long they can get out of it - maybe by the end of the calendar year, giving both parties enough time to find other options.
    I want to see "commitments" go away completely. You either sign or you don't, and you have until the signing day in Feb. to make that choice. It makes kids not string schools along and it prevents schools from doing what UConn did. Treat it like a job offer.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #128953
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    About 95% of D1 schools have doled out all their scholarships already. They officially sign in just a few weeks. He was strung along and got screwed by a shitty coach.

And boo hoo? Scholarship money goes a long way when getting a degree puts a majority of graduates in dept. Kid worked harder than 95% of other kids. Great student, went above and beyond in and out of the classroom and off the field. A kid that works that hard shouldn't have to just do the "college experience like the rest of us."

Read the whole story.
    i did read the whole story. and what do you mean because he worked hard he shouldn't have to do college like the majority of the population? so he's the only kid who works hard in the classroom and on the field? i don't think so.

Edsall might be a shitty person but honestly, this situation was him just doing his job. I don't know how people can get mad at a guy for doing his job to the best of his ability. Makes no sense to me.

Life isn't fair. This kid got a raw deal and that sucks. But that's life. That's the culture the NCAA has created. Not gonna blame the coach for doing what he thought was best for his team, that's what he's paid to do.
    Old 01-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #128954
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

My point is you're saying he should just suck it up. Kid worked his ass off to be a Division I football player and was constantly promised and reassured he was going to be at UConn and then got fucked in the end. This isn't some 4-star recruit is going to have 25 schools throwing offers at him. Now he's losing money and has to scramble to find something.

Sorry, h2p, but this is the definition of "garage league," not the weird little gripes you have about the NHL.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #128955
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I am super pumped the Falcons are in the Playoffs but this is why I'll never be an NFL fan over CFB. The Falcons are a win away from the Super Bowl and I am just as pumped as I am like before The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry or the Clemson game this past year. The hype just doesn't translate during the regular season and that's why CFB can never be topped.
    Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #128956
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    I want to see "commitments" go away completely. You either sign or you don't, and you have until the signing day in Feb. to make that choice. It makes kids not string schools along and it prevents schools from doing what UConn did. Treat it like a job offer.

but what happens when a school like ohio state or alabama gets like 63 kids sending in letters of intent on NSD because they had no idea how many others were in their recruiting class for that school? there needs to be some sort of gauge to know how many spots are filled, but there does need to be something more done.

i like the idea of an early signing period to allow the 100% locks to sign on early and claim their spot. that gives the team a couple months to evaluate what they need. maybe then give a 3 day period for schools to retract offers. like if a school gets 2 RBs to sign, they don't need a 3rd, so they are allowed to pull any other RB offers if they want. it also lets other teams know who is still in play and who is off their list of targets. schools can make new offers and then anyone who has an offer, new or old, at that point keeps it until they decide on a school.

ultimately though, it is the player who should get the protection, not the school. the kid is not just picking where he is going to play football like a FA, he is picking the school he wants to take classes at and live. its not an easy decision for anybody to make, let alone a 17 or 18 year old. most schools forget that these are STUDENT-athletes. the student part comes first. coaches are just doing their job, but their job should come second to the best interest of the player.
    Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #128957
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    but what happens when a school like ohio state or alabama gets like 63 kids sending in letters of intent on NSD because they had no idea how many others were in their recruiting class for that school? there needs to be some sort of gauge to know how many spots are filled, but there does need to be something more done.

i like the idea of an early signing period to allow the 100% locks to sign on early and claim their spot. that gives the team a couple months to evaluate what they need. maybe then give a 3 day period for schools to retract offers. like if a school gets 2 RBs to sign, they don't need a 3rd, so they are allowed to pull any other RB offers if they want. it also lets other teams know who is still in play and who is off their list of targets. schools can make new offers and then anyone who has an offer, new or old, at that point keeps it until they decide on a school.

ultimately though, it is the player who should get the protection, not the school. the kid is not just picking where he is going to play football like a FA, he is picking the school he wants to take classes at and live. its not an easy decision for anybody to make, let alone a 17 or 18 year old. most schools forget that these are STUDENT-athletes. the student part comes first. coaches are just doing their job, but their job should come second to the best interest of the player.
    And this is the part that bothers me the most. It should go beyond sports, and for a majority of these kids, it actually does go beyond sports. Unless they're a freak of nature like Jabrill Peppers or JT Barrett there isn't a lock they're going to be in the NFL in three years. Most players drafted to the NFL are the ones who went into college with an insane work ethic who put themselves in that position. For these students, it's education first. Or else every kid who has an offer from Alabama is going to say yes to going there.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #128958
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Nebraska extends its streak to 24 straight years with a player on a Super Bowl team roster.
    UNLTrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #128959
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

That's a good stat. Almost as good as the stat for the college that represents the most Super Bowl players this year.

Rutgers.

B1G.
    Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #128960
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

So not only did Oregon have their strength coach suspended after his first winter workouts sent 3 kids to the hospital, but now one of their assistant coaches was fired for driving under the influence and is being fired. Taggart era off to an amazing start!
    Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #128961
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.
    Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #128962
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Don't call him Tommy. He's Coach Tom Rees. JFC.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/s...012417aaa.html
    http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/...FzmuCPqsuR.jpg
    Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #128963
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Can't be too excited about that one right?

Seems like ND could grab a better (or more proven I might should say) QB coach. Maybe Brian Kelly is having a hard time finding people that would like to work under him. I have no clue where Rees was on his list.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #128964
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of not being excited, that Tennessee OC hire...
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #128965
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    Can't be too excited about that one right?

Seems like ND could grab a better (or more proven I might should say) QB coach. Maybe Brian Kelly is having a hard time finding people that would like to work under him. I have no clue where Rees was on his list.
    You mean more proven than never having had a true coaching job before anywhere? Yeah, I would think so.

He's basically the only QB we've ever had under Kelly that seemed to get along with him ok and not regress under him... so there's that, I guess.
    Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #128966
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry Jake. Texas just took bama's social media and creative director.

not sure why this is important, but i guess perception is reality...

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Texa...stuff-50780008
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #128967
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    Sorry Jake. Texas just took bama's social media and creative director.

not sure why this is important, but i guess perception is reality...

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Texa...stuff-50780008
    Is he going to teach Texas' recruits how to troll other schools on twitter?
    Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #128968
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like this year is Kelly's swan song. It seems as an outsider that he's going to have difficulty attaining and retaining good assistants. And that's a huge problem. In some respects, assistants are more important that the head coach.
    Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #128969
    MOWJO8185

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    I feel like this year is Kelly's swan song. It seems as an outsider that he's going to have difficulty attaining and retaining good assistants. And that's a huge problem. In some respects, assistants are more important that the head coach.
    Honestly, up until this offseason, it seems he has been unwilling to even try to attain coaches that were highly thought of among coaching ranks. He was more comfortable picking people that he had worked with previously and to whom he could just delegate what he wanted done, as opposed to being open to new ideas and being open to not always being the smartest person in the room. He actually went outside of his comfort zone for his hires this year (Coach Tom Rees notwithstanding), but he did it because his back is against the wall.

In any event, I agree that it seems very unlikely that Kelly will be at ND in 2018. A bad season he will be fired, and a good season he will try to leverage into moving anywhere else that can even semi-resemble a lateral move. I dread the prospect of an 8-4 season though...
    Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #128970
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    That's a good stat. Almost as good as the stat for the college that represents the most Super Bowl players this year.

Rutgers.

B1G.
    lol really?

I only know one Rutgers player by name ever. Didn't even know there were more than that.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    football , ncaa