***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 14 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #391
JessinPA

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
I thought I nailed the exposure on the first one. But I liked them both....got this one too

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...DSC_0053-2.jpg
That's awesome! What lens did you use? I can't wait to have a DSLR again. Right now it's just a point and shoot and lightroom for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Costa Rica (104 of 985).jpg (87.8 KB, 30 views)

6/23/2001 - 4/10/2002 - 7/16/2002 - 7/21/2002 - 9/21/2002 - 6/26/2003 - 6/25/2005 - 7/2/2008 - 6/1/09 - 9/20/09 - 6/5/2010
JessinPA is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #392
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I have a crumpler bag..

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/Eng...B.html?image=2

I really like the size and weight. It fits my setup and is really portable...
    Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #393
    jk333

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Lowerpro flipside 200. http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipsi...2591526&sr=1-2

In it goes my:

K200d Pentax dSLR
    50mm f/1.7 Pentax F-series
    24-60 f/2.8 Sigma EX-DG series
    70-300mm f/4-5.6 macro Tamron

And eventually:
    Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8

I also have 2 filters and my transfer cord in it. I hope that the tripod I ordered will fit as well. If not it has a loop to hold the tripod.

The lowerpro zipper is against your back so its impossible to get robbed without knowing it.
    jk333 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #394
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-infrared/samples.html I want to have enough money to do this.

i keep my socks on bc i'm a badass
    Number27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #395
    CUTiger41
    I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

So is there a subject for the February photo contest? I'm assuming that'd be a good start for us. It'd give us 2 weeks to get everyone on board and then announce the subject on February 1.

Would we have the contest run the full month then when the March contest is announced we'd have voting? Or run 3 weeks then vote the final week with the winner selecting the subject for the next month?

Thoughts?
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #396
    CUTiger41
    I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

My Tour Central Stats

Posting again...

I'd also suggest all entires post the shooting data (aperture, f/stop, ISO, film, etc) so we can all hopefully learn a bit in these fun little contests.

Any suggestions for subjects? First one that comes to mind is "Love" for February but that might seem cheesy.
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #397
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I was thinking "spring", but that is probably better for march=may. Agree on shooting data..

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #398
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

I was poking through a few on my pics after looking at some of the recent "night shots" on here. These came to mind:

http://picasaweb.google.com/freemana...61484618504978
    http://picasaweb.google.com/freemana...61196855696114
    http://picasaweb.google.com/freemana...71320897378578
    http://picasaweb.google.com/freemana...19534139189378
    http://picasaweb.google.com/freemana...33734221987986

Thoughts are always appreciated.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #399
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

My Tour Central Stats

Light trail shots are some of my favorite.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #400
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Second, fourth and fifth one are gorgeous.

I like the other two as well, but those three really stood out.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #401
    jk333

My Tour Central Stats

aj, i like the 2nd and fifth. what the glass on the second? it holds the light well on long exposures.

the fourth is good, but kinda blah. i feel like it coulda been REALLY cool. but it IS good. the other two aren't my favorite. i feel like the first could have been good but isn't. the other i don't even have any hope for...

don't take offense to this... people prefer different things. i LOVE 40% of those pictures. and a 3rd is solid.
    Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #402
    jk333

My Tour Central Stats

i actually like love. it could give interesting results. portraits of people, animals, to just art with roses or even something that people love. it could be varied.

if someone wants to define it more... or specialize propose something.

What if the theme is officially finalized on the last day of the previous month. THEN, the vote is done for a minimum of 48 hours, and a maximum of 72 hours starting on the 25th of the month of the contest. Thus it closes either the 27th or 28th. The person who makes the theme both posts the poll on the 25th AND closes it the 27th or 28th.

Its also kinda a homefield adv. thing, if its the 49th hour of voting and their picture is ahead, they're allowed to keep it open. I kinda think that is neat, too. It will promote everyone to vote early, prior to the 48 hour thing.

It has to be a window 48-72 hrs, b/c who knows if the poll poster will be around RIGHT at 48 hours. Otherwise, can the poll shut itself down...

The contest should end by the 27/28th though to allow time for a new theme to be made up and a new poll for the next month to be posted.
    Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #403
    2steppinKJ
    Aboard the Hayne train.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CUTiger41 View Post
    So is there a subject for the February photo contest? I'm assuming that'd be a good start for us. It'd give us 2 weeks to get everyone on board and then announce the subject on February 1.

Would we have the contest run the full month then when the March contest is announced we'd have voting? Or run 3 weeks then vote the final week with the winner selecting the subject for the next month?

Thoughts?
    Well, this was my original post about the photo comp:

Okay...I'm going to act on the photo comp idea.

What I have in mind is on the first Sunday of each month, I create a thread called "antsmarching.org Photography Contest (insert month here) 2009". In this thread (ie. the one that this post is in), suggestions of types of photography, ideas/themes/words, etc, can be made, which we can choose from and make the focus point of the photo comp for that month. For example, January's could be for cityscapes, and February's could revolve around the word "love". The simple idea would be to take the main focus and present a photo that complements that focus. After 2 weeks of entries, we spend the next week voting, and the winner is announced at the end of the voting period. No prizes...just the sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing that people don't think your photography's crap.

Thoughts? Ideas on rules (for example, unless the main focus involved photo manipulation, entries are not to be Photoshopped or edited)?

Based on feedback and additional ideas, this is what I would propose:

- Each month's comp starts on the first day of the month. (and the people said "Duh!")
    - First theme/idea can be agreed on by the membership up until 1 Feb, then I'll start a new thread on 1 Feb outlining the theme and rules.
    - Basic editing allowed to tweak exposure, levels, etc. Those who edit must post links to both their original photo and the edited version for comparison. All entries should be uploaded to an image hosting site of choice and linked to in the post.
    - Shooting data is optional, but could be handy eg. aperture, f/stop, ISO, film, camera model, lens, filters, etc.
    - Entries close on 24th of each month at 11:59pm US Pacific time (whatever the technical name of it is - it'll be the middle of the afternoon here in Sydney). As soon as possible after that time I will edit the opening post to list usernames with embedded links to the posts that contain their photos, with a number corresponding with the order of their posting. If there are 10 or fewer entries, then I can add a poll, but if there are more than 10, I will ask you to simply post the letter/number corresponding to the member whose image you feel is the best.
    - Voting will close at 11:59pm on 27th of each month, when I will close the thread, tally up votes and announce the winner. The winner will then have the privilege of selecting the next theme/idea and posting a new thread on the 1st day of the following month. I will copy and paste the rules into that post and sticky it. In the event of a tie, those who are tied with the highest nuber of votes can agree on a theme together.

Let me know if this seems fine. As indicated in the proposal, I'm happy to act as the comp administrator and use my moderator tools to facilitate stickying threads, create polls, etc...shouldn't get in the way of me posting an entry, I'd hope.

Last edited by 2steppinKJ; 01-22-2009 at 12:51 AM.
    2steppinKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #404
    cbotnyse

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

2steppinKJ, I can also see an issue of bullshit entries where a poster is just trying to be witty and funny. We should be voting on originality and technique. I would trust your judgment to just delete entries like that.

Also, I post on an architecture forum with a weekly photo contest. This format would require its own sub-forum and some type of software(I think) that would take the 5 best photos of the week. Each entry makes a poll 1-10 and it is voted on. At the end of the week, the 5 highest voted photos are entered in the finals. Then those are voted upon.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268 ( I actually won last week!)
    cbotnyse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #405
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    2steppinKJ, I can also see an issue of bullshit entries where a poster is just trying to be witty and funny. We should be voting on originality and technique. I would trust your judgment to just delete entries like that.

Also, I post on an architecture forum with a weekly photo contest. This format would require its own sub-forum and some type of software(I think) that would take the 5 best photos of the week. Each entry makes a poll 1-10 and it is voted on. At the end of the week, the 5 highest voted photos are entered in the finals. Then those are voted upon.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268 ( I actually won last week!)
    Congrats on winning!

Love is too much of a cliche for a contest in February. Most of the country is still pretty cold so I vote we go with a winter theme. Cold, blustery, warmth, freeze, etc.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #406
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

I'm excited for this to start.

So I'm extremely new to this, and I haven't even owned my camera for a month yet. So far, my kit consists of the Nikon D90, a kit lens (Nikkor 18 - 105 AF VR 3.5-5.8?), and a 50 mm AF 1.8 lens.

I'm working on getting a tripod and remote. I'm wondering what other items I should be considering to round out my set up. Any help?

I know I could use a long range lens, but I'm not in a hurry to spend the coin on it (plus I need the tripod first). I've heard people mention different filters for lenses that could be fun to try out. Are these typically priced like the protective covers? Anyone have really unique lenses that are worth checking out? Are there fish-eye lenses available for the Nikon Dx cameras? What about wide angle or panoramic?
    Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #407
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Number27 View Post
    Congrats on winning!

Love is too much of a cliche for a contest in February. Most of the country is still pretty cold so I vote we go with a winter theme. Cold, blustery, warmth, freeze, etc.
    That could be cool and challenging for me (I live in Southern California). I'm taking some snowboarding trips, so I could probably get some stuff there.
    Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #408
    CUTiger41
    I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyande View Post

So I'm extremely new to this, and I haven't even owned my camera for a month yet. So far, my kit consists of the Nikon D90, a kit lens (Nikkor 18 - 105 AF VR 3.5-5.8?), and a 50 mm AF 1.8 lens.

I'm working on getting a tripod and remote. I'm wondering what other items I should be considering to round out my set up. Any help?

I know I could use a long range lens, but I'm not in a hurry to spend the coin on it (plus I need the tripod first). I've heard people mention different filters for lenses that could be fun to try out. Are these typically priced like the protective covers? Anyone have really unique lenses that are worth checking out? Are there fish-eye lenses available for the Nikon Dx
    cameras? What about wide angle or panoramic?
    Use that 50mm 1.8 as much as you can! It's a fun and excellent lens that takes tack sharp images.

It sounds like you have your bases covered once you add a tripod. A polarizer is a must if shooting glass or water (streams and such) to get rid of unwanted reflections. ND grads are great if you plan on shooting landscape. However, most people are starting to use HDR instead of graduated filters.

For digital I have the D50, 18-200mm VR, 50mm f/1.8, and a Tokina 12-24 f/4. The Tokina is a great lens for the price. I paid $500 for it new but on Nikonians.org people are selling them for $380-400 used in their Buy/Sell forum. For film I use an F100 w/ grip, 18-35mm and 24-85mm f/3.5. I use a N80 w/ grip for B&W as well. Right now my freezer is loaded with Velvia 50, 100 and Kodak BW400CN.

As for subjects and themes, "love" is pretty cliche. We could do things like rule of thirds, leading lines, backlit subjects, silhouettes, reflections, abstract, minimalist, twotone, symmetry, etc.
    Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #409
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I know I could use a long range lens, but I'm not in a hurry to spend the coin on it (plus I need the tripod first). I've heard people mention different filters for lenses that could be fun to try out. Are these typically priced like the protective covers? Anyone have really unique lenses that are worth checking out? Are there fish-eye lenses available for the Nikon Dx cameras? What about wide angle or panoramic?
    I'm a big fan of 50mm lenses. I can't give advice on Nikons since I have a Canon, but get a polarized filter, as well as a UV filter.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #410
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

I have UV filters for both lenses, but I'll have to look into the polarized filters. I shoot on the beach and landscapes all the time, so it will be interesting to see the difference it makes.
    Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #411
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

I'll post this in the Barack thread, but wanted to post it here to. its shots like these that make me want to pursure photography. (not making a political statement here, just posting the quality of images capturing a historic moment)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...president.html
    Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #412
    CUTiger41
    I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll post this in the Barack thread, but wanted to post it here to. its shots like these that make me want to pursure photography. (not making a political statement here, just posting the quality of images capturing a historic moment)

My favorite from yesterday was on the cover of Wall Street Journal. It was basically Image #7 with Obama at the top of the steps walking down and shaking hands.

All of those are pretty cool though.
    Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #413
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    Second, fourth and fifth one are gorgeous.

I like the other two as well, but those three really stood out.
    thanks for the comments!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk333 View Post
    aj, i like the 2nd and fifth. what the glass on the second? it holds the light well on long exposures.

the fourth is good, but kinda blah. i feel like it coulda been REALLY cool. but it IS good. the other two aren't my favorite. i feel like the first could have been good but isn't. the other i don't even have any hope for...

don't take offense to this... people prefer different things. i LOVE 40% of those pictures. and a 3rd is solid.
    thanks for the comments as well. i believe the second was a 18-55mm - i'm at work so I don't have the specifics. it's my 'everyday' lens.

i hear you on the 4th pic - it wasn't the best night for shooting. i had just purchased my tripod and couldn't wait to get out there.

the other two (the one's with motion) are something that i have attempting recently. taking a neon sign that people may know (that was a restaurant in nyc and the other is obviously in seattle) and doing a shutter speed where i can capture the object....but then use motion to add flair. i guess it didn't work for you..

Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #414
    jk333

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you don't want to wait - http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300m...2673506&sr=8-1

(I'm EXTREMELY impatient) This lens is AMAZING for the money. And ignoring the money its OK. Not bad at all. Not good, but not bad at all. I took this picture with it: 200mm i think f/5.6 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/3594840...17334/sizes/l/

Thats at about 40 yards.

Admittedly, that is after SOME photoshop. But not much. Generic normal level adjustments.

Last edited by jk333; 01-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #415
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Some awesome photos here...
    Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #416
    2steppinKJ
    Aboard the Hayne train.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'll have a closer look at that architecture forum this afternoon...not sure if Matt and Jake would be as keen as I might be at putting in a separate subforum with that sort of structure. It seems like a good way of conducting things instead of having a hodgepodge of images scattered in one thread.

And don't worry, I'd be able to tell which entries were serious attempts at photographic art and which ones are just jokes.
    Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #417
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk333 View Post
    If you don't want to wait - http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300m...2673506&sr=8-1

(I'm EXTREMELY impatient) This lens is AMAZING for the money. And ignoring the money its OK. Not bad at all. Not good, but not bad at all. I took this picture with it: 200mm i think f/5.6 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/3594840...17334/sizes/l/

Thats at about 40 yards.

Admittedly, that is after SOME photoshop. But not much. Generic normal level adjustments.
    Isn't VR pretty important for a lens that has that focal length? I know it greatly increases the cost, but I'd imagine it really improves the images.
    Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #418
    jk333

My Tour Central Stats

You can't be serious?

People have shot without VR for 100s of years. In short, no, VR is NOT necessary. A standard rule in photography is that you can handhold a lens without VR (or IS, canon's term for a similar thing) at 1/the shutter speed. So you'd shoot a 100mm lens at 1/125 (minimum) and a 400mm lens at 1/500. If you had VR, you could shoot it a 400mm lens at 1/250. It just lets you handhold a bit slower.

Note that I tend to think that as you reach > 200mm you need to up the minimum shutter speed to 2 or 3 shutter speeds up. For instance, a 200mm lens should be shot at a minimum of 1/750 or 1/1000. With VR you could do 1/500.

I mean, if you want the best, stay the hell away from a 130 dollar lens. I was just showing you a lens you can have for cheap money. It gives amazing sharpness for the price.

If your shooting on a tripod VR does virtually nothing. Note
    Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #419
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

taken tonight.... http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...DSC_0040-1.jpg

f13, 4sec, ISO 200...minor adjustments to curves, levels and sharpening.
    Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #420
    DMBfreak41
    ^I'm so creative

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    taken tonight.... http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...DSC_0040-1.jpg

f13, 4sec, ISO 200...minor adjustments to curves, levels and sharpening.
    Very cool. What building is that castle like structure?

Tags
    photography