**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 455 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #13621
Arby
We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

If I had to flip the record after every song I would just kill myself

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #13622
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    This is why you do a limited edition 45rpm release in addition to the standard 33rpm release. Most people will be happy with standard 33rpm, those who strive for the ultimate sonic experience will pony up substantially more for the 45rpm set.

WB did this with Metallica's catalogue several years back, Classic Records did it with the Peter Gabriel and Led Zeppelin catalogues cut by Bernie Grundman AAA, it's nice to have the option.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #13623
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    This is why you do a limited edition 45rpm release in addition to the standard 33rpm release. Most people will be happy with standard 33rpm, those who strive for the ultimate sonic experience will pony up substantially more for the 45rpm set.

WB did this with Metallica's catalogue several years back, Classic Records did it with the Peter Gabriel and Led Zeppelin catalogues cut by Bernie Grundman AAA, it's nice to have the option.
    Would you put the chances of DMB/Management doing this at, or below, 0%?
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #13624
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Would you put the chances of DMB/Management doing this at, or below, 0%?
    Currently I would put it at 0%.
    Old 05-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #13625
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Currently I would put it at 0%.
    So, you're telling me there a chance!!?! I knew it!
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #13626
    drfindley
    Vinyl junkie

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

33s can sound amazing. See the latest releases coming out of Music Matters. I'm not sure the sonic wins of 45 are enough to justify it, but I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #13627
    krisjay

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

It all depends on who has hands on the project. As with UTTAD, the recent Black Crowes vinyl reissues could have been so much better, they are ok, but in someone elses hands they could have been far more than ok. Ron McMaster would certainly not be my first choice to have hands on a project. I hope at some point, UTTAD and The Black Crowes get another chance at some point. As far as those all analog 45rpm multi record sets, I love them, record them on the big reels at 15ips, bliss can be had. No getting up after every song either.
    Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #13628
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drfindley View Post
    I'm not sure the sonic wins of 45 are enough to justify it, but I'd take it in a heartbeat.
    There aren't many records I've had the chance to compared identical masterings of cut at 33 and 45, but there has been the odd one. One of them I've had similar-minded vinylphiles over for listening sessions during which we've done some comparisons.

We included both the 33 and 45 releases of Peter Gabriel's "So", cut from the original 1/2" 30 ips analog master tapes on the Classic all tube stereo cutting system at Bernie Grundman Mastering by Bernie himself, as well as the 2002 Super Audio CD from Sony, an original 1986 CD and the newest 24-bit remastering that was released during the 25th anniversary. The 45rpm, despite the occasional over-pronounced sibilant, was declared the winner by all handily. We listened only to That Voice Again, doing more than one track would have taken up too much time. I have both 33 and 45 cuts from Bernie of PG II, III and So, the rest I just have the 33s of because I was hesitant to pull the trigger in 2009 at $50/each. D'oh! Kicking myself now.

I also have Bernie's AAA cut of Nirvana's Incesticide, released as a 33rpm by ORG then recut by Chris Bellman for Universal at 45rpm for RSD 2012/20th Anniversary - it's amazing how good the sound can be from these sessions, the 45rpm really does take it to the next level.

I have an original Stone Roses LP plus the 45rpm 1991 special edition, holy smokes, the latter has astounding detail. I've had a few people comment when I play this for them, "I know this album really well, I've never heard it like this" - I Wanna Be Adored is usually the cut I play because of the slow opening.

I don't have any of the Zeppelin 45rpms unfortunately, really sucks that Atlantic pulled the license for Classic to do invidual 45rpm sets of those like they did with the Peter Gabriel catalogue, you can find test pressings through The Music's eBay store but they usually run $600 or more.

Regarding the Chris Bellman vs. Kevin Gray, I have no preference. Both have cut vinyl from digital and analogue but both can cut using an all analogue chain. Chris Bellman, Bernie Grundman, Ryan K. Smith, Kevin Gray or Steve Hoffman, I would really have no preference between these guys cutting AAA.

But yes, absolutely, 33 can sound amazing. The 33rpm Bernie cut of Zeppelin III is usually one of the first records I reach for when I want to demonstrate the potential of a vinyl record for audiophile playback.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-03-2016 at 07:15 AM.
    Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #13629
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The 33rpm Bernie cut of Zeppelin III is usually one of the first records I reach for when I want to demonstrate the potential of a vinyl record for audiophile playback.
    Would you mind listing the records in your collection that you feel similarly about?

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #13630
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post
    Would you mind listing the records in your collection that you feel similarly about?
    Alex started a good discussion on this in late March, here's where it started:
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/showth...8#post16344358

I posted my go to records in post 13255, listed the track I'd normally go to also.

Some others:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik - "Power of Equality" - [Warner Bros, 2LP 180g, 2012, ASIN: B005VPLZ76] - cut from the analogue tapes

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Uprising - "Coming in From The Cold" - [Island Records, 9LP "The Box Set", 1982] Wow, so happy I laid down the cash for this one.

Nirvana - Nevermind - "Come As You Are" - [ORG Music, 180g, 2009] - cut by Bernie Grundman from the original stereo master, reissued by Universal after the horrible 4LP remastering as a single LP via Geffen, 2013, ASIN: B0000088DC - has the ORG scratched out in the deadwax. In fact Universal reissued the ORG cutting for Unplugged too (https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-...elease/6553015)

Joe Satriani - The Extremist - "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness" - [Relativity, 120g, 1992] - don't even know the source material for this one but presume it's the original tapes, was mastered by Bernie Grundman and sounds absolutely amazing. I played the track "Crying" for a vinyl guy who was at a shootout, first time he'd heard it and it was on his rig, he had watery eyes at the end and looked at me and said, "can I borrow that?"

Jeff Buckley - Grace - "Mojo Pin" - [Original Recordings Group, 2LP 45rpm 180g, 2015, ASIN: B00KNJ632W] - I don't own this one as I got the SACD instead, just didn't have the funds, but I did get to listen to it during a listening session at a friend's place who was using Naim amplification, Kudos bookshelf speakers and a Roxsan Xerxes turntable/Dynavector cartridge - holy dynamics, what an intense track.

Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World - "Rooftop"
    Just kidding!

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-03-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #13631
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I posted my go to records in post 13255, listed the track I'd normally go to also.

Some others:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik - "Power of Equality" - [Warner Bros, 2LP 180g, 2012, ASIN: B005VPLZ76] - cut from the analogue tapes
    Couldn't agree more on this one, after the "hey batter batter; SWING!" when the bass kicks in just sounds fantastic
    Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #13632
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Some others:

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Uprising - "Coming in From The Cold" - [Island Records, 9LP "The Box Set", 1982] Wow, so happy I laid down the cash for this one.

Nirvana - Nevermind - "Come As You Are" - [ORG Music, 180g, 2009] - cut by Bernie Grundman from the original stereo master, reissued by Universal after the horrible 4LP remastering as a single LP via Geffen, 2013, ASIN: B0000088DC - has the ORG scratched out in the deadwax. In fact Universal reissued the ORG cutting for Unplugged too (https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-...elease/6553015)

Joe Satriani - The Extremist - "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness" - [Relativity, 120g, 1992] - don't even know the source material for this one but presume it's the original tapes, was mastered by Bernie Grundman and sounds absolutely amazing. I played the track "Crying" for a vinyl guy who was at a shootout, first time he'd heard it and it was on his rig, he had watery eyes at the end and looked at me and said, "can I borrow that?"

Jeff Buckley - Grace - "Mojo Pin" - [Original Recordings Group, 2LP 45rpm 180g, 2015, ASIN: B00KNJ632W] - I don't own this one as I got the SACD instead, just didn't have the funds, but I did get to listen to it during a listening session at a friend's place who was using Naim amplification, Kudos bookshelf speakers and a Roxsan Xerxes turntable/Dynavector cartridge - holy dynamics, what an intense track.

Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World - "Rooftop"
    Just kidding!
    *gasp* no Dire Straits-Communique-"News" ?!? Has the world gone topsy-turvey?

Mastodon is a band where the 45rpm LP's blow away the 33rpm LP's which blow away the squished to the gills CD's. Especially Crack the Skye, Blood Mountain, and Remission. (all done by Chris Bellman I believe)

The latest Queens of the Stone Age doesnt have a 33rpm but the 45 sounds incredible.

But like all things, 33 vs 45, black vinyl vs other color, just do it right. 140G 33 rpm 20 mins per side can sound fantastic if its mastered and pressed properly.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #13633
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    *gasp* no Dire Straits-Communique-"News" ?!? Has the world gone topsy-turvey?
    Oh please...don't be silly!

It was #2 in my original list, the post above was just some ADDITIONAL selections.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #13634
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh please...don't be silly!

It was #2 in my original list, the post above was just some ADDITIONAL selections.

Oh thank goodness, I was worried for a bit.

I need to seek out (up?) a copy of that RHCP, sounds like a great one to have.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #13635
    Taylor36

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    That seems drastic
    Taylor36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #13636
    krisjay

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Sadly, many times I see people pay good money for a wonderfully done 45rpm vinyl set, then complain that it doesn't sound very good. Turns out they are playing it on a Crosley through 25 dollar computer speakers. I'm not saying you need to spend a fortune on audio gear, but at least make an effort.
    Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #13637
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Saw where my CC had been charged for the first two T. Swift albums they're releasing for the first time on wax. Looking forward to spinning some Tim McGraw, Teardrops On My Guitar, and other ballads by a 14-year old girl.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #13638
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Saw this today http://pitchfork.com/news/65286-radi...-indie-stores/

Will probably try to get one if my local store gets a copy
    Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #13639
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know of the pressing information for the 20th anniversary of Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse release?

Bringing Down The Horse [2 LP] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0AKZI8..._3.vjxb94T2V44
    Old 05-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #13640
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncrstlr1 View Post
    Anyone know of the pressing information for the 20th anniversary of Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse release?

Bringing Down The Horse [2 LP] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0AKZI8..._3.vjxb94T2V44
    I haven't been able to find a single thing regarding this one as far as source material, mastering, pressing, etc. Which is usually a bad sign....

Love this album (and the follow up 'Breach'), hopefully it's done well but I am not optimistic based on the complete lack of information.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 03:16 AM   #13641
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

http://pitchfork.com/news/65286-radi...-indie-stores/

Hey chad can you check to see if your store will get this? I'll owe you one
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #13642
    OldN00b

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

If a list gets going on this I'd love to be on it - would love to pick this up but no chance from my "local" store an hour away.
    OldN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #13643
    OldN00b

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    I haven't been able to find a single thing regarding this one as far as source material, mastering, pressing, etc. Which is usually a bad sign....

Love this album (and the follow up 'Breach'), hopefully it's done well but I am not optimistic based on the complete lack of information.
    I wouldn't jump on a pre-order but I'd hold out hope. There are some other albums from that time that have had little-no hype around the vinyl release quality and turned out great (something like Dizzy Up The Girl - wound up being cut by Chris Bellman and that was on Warner who's pretty notorious for cash grab vinyl releases). T Bone Burnett produced this, he also did August and Everything After - that got the AAA treatment and obviously no word on Bringing Down the Horse getting that but maybe there's a through line to analog masters and they can get someone who really cares to cut it.
    OldN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #13644
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

I'm checking for Justink, but if he doesn't want it you can have it. I'm sure I can try to get 1, maybe 2 of them if possible
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #13645
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'm checking for Justink, but if he doesn't want it you can have it. I'm sure I can try to get 1, maybe 2 of them if possible
    Damn, thought I beat everyone to the punch. Thanks man, appreciate it.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #13646
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldN00b View Post
    I wouldn't jump on a pre-order but I'd hold out hope. There are some other albums from that time that have had little-no hype around the vinyl release quality and turned out great (something like Dizzy Up The Girl - wound up being cut by Chris Bellman and that was on Warner who's pretty notorious for cash grab vinyl releases). T Bone Burnett produced this, he also did August and Everything After - that got the AAA treatment and obviously no word on Bringing Down the Horse getting that but maybe there's a through line to analog masters and they can get someone who really cares to cut it.
    Well that's certainly a good sign. Fingers crossed, I'd really love a well mastered vinyl version of that album.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #13647
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I've been holding off on getting Nevermind for too long. Can someone confirm this isn't the version I want? http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-180-.../dp/B002UAJ0BS

edit: and this IS the one I want http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-Nirvana/dp/B0000088DC

Last edited by ryguy469; 05-06-2016 at 06:59 AM.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #13648
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like Pink Floyd is finally re-releasing they're older stuff. Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Soundtrack to 'More', and Ummagumma getting a remastered pressing.

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd/p...53573184167308

Good that Grundman will be involved, but I'm wondering what sources will be used; my understanding is that some of the original tapes are too damaged to use.

Also hate seeing "pressed on 180gram vinyl for optimum sound quality". That's not what 180g means!!!

Last edited by BTBaboon; 05-06-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: word
    Old 05-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #13649
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Looks like Pink Floyd is finally re-releasing they're older stuff. Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Soundtrack to 'More', and Ummagumma getting a remastered pressing.

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd/p...53573184167308

Good that Grundman will be involved, but I'm wondering what sources will be used; my understanding is that some of the original tapes are too damaged to use.

Also hate seeing "pressed on 180gram vinyl for optimum sound quality". That's not what 180g means!!!
    Nice, looking forward to getting Animals and Meddle on vinyl whenever they get to those.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #13650
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

bet they'll all be $40-50.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote