Do any AFTW songs crack your top 5 on any of the Big 3 albums? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
WiseManSay

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Do any AFTW songs crack your top 5 on any of the Big 3 albums?

I think what some people are forgetting is that (1) Crash has Drive In, Drive Out, Too Much, Let You Down and Crash Into Me, (2) Under the Table and Dreaming has What Would You Say, Pay For What You Get, Lover Lay Down and Satellite, (3) Before These Crowded Streets has Stay, Pig, Rapunzel and The Last Stop.

All really good songs don't get me wrong but they don't come off to me as their best work.

I think those group of songs could be matched by Mercy, Belly Belly Nice, Rooftop, and If Only.

Feel free to sub in your own songs in each category (could add Sweet, Belly Full, etc.) but looking at AFTW and adding in Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier, Broken Things and The Riff I just find all these album having different tastes.

Of course new material is more fun but it doesn't carry the intangibles that older material does. It's so hard to say.

I guess in short to the OP's point, I think multiple songs from Away From The World could crack the Big 3. Maybe 3-5 could. The differences I find somewhat interchangeable too.
WiseManSay is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #32
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Honestly, no way. The truth is that such comparisons are totally irrelevant and unfair. If DMB ever releases anything approaching those albums, I'll eat my hat.

It's not that they can't make a great album anymore; it's just that there will be no way to objectively compare anything new with what came before. I've always hoped to get "that" feeling again, but now I've just accepted that it will never happen; because for it to happen, the me of 15 years ago would have to travel to the future and take my place in this time.

That being said, I'm very excited for this new album. I get much the same feeling as BW - a wonderful breath of exciting fresh air from a band I'd started to lose hope in - only a bit more exciting. I think AFTW is a step back towards the style of old, but it's still very much an album crafted by DMB, circa 2012. Time may tell a different story, but I foresee the same kind of sentiment toward AFTW as BW gets today once the afterglow starts to fade. I like several of the new songs - a lot - but I'm skeptical that any of them will really have the kind of staying-power that the classics do. But, again, I'm not sure it's possible for anything to ever reach that level.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that all I'm feeling is skepticism to something new, kind of like how I first felt when BTCS came out. We all know how that turned out...

EDIT: I just thought of another thing. It just seems like there's something missing from DMB's newer material... I can't put my finger on it, but I think the jam on the studio #41 really encompasses what I'm talking about; it's not the music, but the sounds of the guys having a good time in the background that makes it click. It's something that touches the soul in a way that can't really be described or replicated.

It's the difference between being a group of guys that play music from the heart vs. a group of musicians that write songs, tour, and make great albums.

Last edited by C.S.; 09-05-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #33
    CameInPraying

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Snow outside and DS maybe. I'm fairly confident in saying if any song from BTCS was on AFTW it would be the best song on the album. But hell that just my opinion.
    Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #34
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

dumbass thread. comparing albums 15-20 years apart makes no sense. most people here fell in love with a very different DMB. this is a great great record. but nothing they put out will ever pass those 3 records to the people here that grew up on/first heard those records. you cant beat time and nostalgia. the band has changed and they put out different records. i love what they did with this album, i truly love it when i listen. but its been 2 days, in 15 years i might look back and be like damn that was an incredible record. but comparing a record weve had for 2 days with records that came out 15 years ago.....not fair to either.

On another note, there is definitely a younger DMB fan that is starting to emerge. And many of them might prefer this record and BW. In 15 years there could be 2 legit groups of fans with their very own versions of the Big 3. I know plenty of younger kids that prefer BW to the older stuff that alot of ants on here adore. And this album they will most definitely also prefer. There is always something about loving the albums that are coming out when you are into the band.
    Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
    JunkBondTrader

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i know this is a public forum and message board.

but its threads like this that are toxic. they really are. these albums are completely different than the ones from the 90's. people need to just enjoy each record for what they are. i honestly couldnt tell you the last time i listened to UTTAD, Crash, or BTCS....probably been about 4-5 years, no joke.
    Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
    Nikton

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

It's a great album. I love all the songs, especially Sweet & Drunken Soldier.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #37
    gakm7

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside and Drunken Soldier for sure... Those songs are fucking amazing. Big 3 quality for sure.

I would put The Riff up there too.

Belly Belly Nice and Broken Things just below those, probably Big 3 material to me as well...

The others all come in below, but are still good songs. I don't hate a single song on this album, but have been skipping over Gaucho and Sweet quite a bit... If Only too
    gakm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

No definitely not. I could easily name 10 songs from other albums I like more than every song on AFTW. There might be a couple in the top 20.
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #39
    dantillo24
    come and relax now

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Made a Top 5 list on every album. No songs from AFTW are better than any of my 5 favorites on RTT, UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, or tLWS/BS
    Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #40
    pruss25

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

My top 5 from AFTW (Mercy, Belly Belly Nice, Belly Full, Drunken Soldier, Sweet) cannot touch any of the top 5 from UTTAD, Crash and BCS. As many have mentioned, those songs are CLASSICS! I like Groo Grux better than AFTW. Either way, we're debating some beautiful music.
    pruss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiseManSay View Post
    I think what some people are forgetting is that (1) Crashhas Drive In, Drive Out, Too Much, Let You Down and Crash Into Me, (2) Under the Table and Dreaming has What Would You Say, Pay For What You Get, Lover Lay Down and Satellite, (3) Before These Crowded Streets has Stay, Pig, Rapunzel and The Last Stop.

All really good songs don't get me wrong but they don't come off to me as their best work.

I think those group of songs could be matched by Mercy, Belly Belly Nice, Rooftop, and If Only.

Feel free to sub in your own songs in each category (could add Sweet, Belly Full, etc.) but looking at AFTW and adding in Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier, Broken Things and The Riff I just find all these album having different tastes.

Of course new material is more fun but it doesn't carry the intangibles that older material does. It's so hard to say.

I guess in short to the OP's point, I think multiple songs from Away From The World could crack the Big 3. Maybe 3-5 could. The differences I find somewhat interchangeable too.
    Wait - What is happening here?
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.

Last edited by dmbdreamingtree; 06-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
    bamadavefan15

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    Wait - What is happening here?
    You should've highlighted DIDO and WWYS as well. Lol not some of the bands best work? The ones you highlighted plus the two I mentioned are part of the definition of dmb's best work. Some people just don't get it.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #43
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Drunken sdier is the best track on aftw

"It's not a star it's a satellite" vs anything on any other album clearly shows what the better material is

Yes I'm including let you down in that as well
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #44
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside cracks my top 6 on UTTAD and streets
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #45
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Drunken Soldier is more ambitious than it is good. It's a cool thing, but it doesn't come together well enough IMO.

Broken Things cracks into it big time, Belly Full does for BTCS, a couple others might if I listened to all of the albums and compared them but those first two get in no problem.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #46
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan View Post
    Drunken Soldier is more ambitious than it is good. It's a cool thing, but it doesn't come together well enough IMO.

Agreed 100%

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan View Post
    Broken Things cracks into it big time, Belly Full does for BTCS, a couple others might if I listened to all of the albums and compared them but those first two get in no problem.
    This is David Lynch bizarre
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #47
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    Agreed 100%

This is David Lynch bizarre
    Mulholland Dr. is amazing.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #48
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

BW is the only one out of every dMb album :

Lying In The Hands Of God
    Alligator Pie
    Seven
    If Only
    Baby Blue
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post
    dumbass thread. comparing albums 15-20 years apart makes no sense. most people here fell in love with a very different DMB. this is a great great record. but nothing they put out will ever pass those 3 records to the people here that grew up on/first heard those records. you cant beat time and nostalgia. the band has changed and they put out different records. i love what they did with this album, i truly love it when i listen. but its been 2 days, in 15 years i might look back and be like damn that was an incredible record. but comparing a record weve had for 2 days with records that came out 15 years ago.....not fair to either.

On another note, there is definitely a younger DMB fan that is starting to emerge. And many of them might prefer this record and BW. In 15 years there could be 2 legit groups of fans with their very own versions of the Big 3. I know plenty of younger kids that prefer BW to the older stuff that alot of ants on here adore. And this album they will most definitely also prefer. There is always something about loving the albums that are coming out when you are into the band.

This is 100% truth.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #50
    bobgeldof

My Tour Central Stats

well put indeed.

i discovered DMB two years ago, listening to Live at New York and Live at Wrigley Field. then i bought Big Whiskey and was completely hooked. i have listened to them everyday ever since, and i can't stop!

i must admit i prefer the live versions of the early songs rather than the studios (their playing is better now, and the speed has also increased compared to the original studio versions (a good example here is Grey Street).

as for their latest record, it's ok, but not great in my ears. i rather prefer to listen to live tapes from 2009 and up until now.

i only own two studio albums (BW + AFTW), the rest of my collection is official live recordings and of course 200+ live tapes.

love this band!
    bobgeldof is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #51
    schmooptrid
    Farewell!

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Cool Re: Do any AFTW songs crack your top 5 on any of the Big 3 albums?

It always takes a couple of years for a new DMB album to grow on me and its only usually after hearing the songs live that the process begins. That being said, I really like Rooftop, Gaucho, Broken Things, The Riff, and If Only. Whether or not they compete with any of my favorites off of the big three, only time will tell.
    schmooptrid is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #52
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside is the only song on the album that's really standing out to me studio-wise lately. If I had to pick three songs off of the album to listen to daily they'd be Broken Things, Drunken Soldier, and Snow Outside. Nothing off of AFTW is near the big 4 though
    Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #53
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post
    Awesome to see someone here actually taking a long, objective view of the situation. I can relate to this--I'm a huge fan of R.E.M., but some of my favorite albums of theirs came later in their career, and I am sure there are old school fans who would scoff at what I prefer.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #54
    MusicPerson

My Tour Central Stats

For someone who considers this their weakest album, no.
    MusicPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #55
    bamadavefan15

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusicPerson View Post
    For someone who considers this their weakest album, no.

Lol how did I know this was coming from you
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #56
    DontBurnTheDay3

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Cause I'm the only one who dislikes the album, I guess.

Yes, I am MusicPerson. I hate that I had to reregister under a different name, but after being banned FOR NO SPECIFIED REASON after making, like 20 POSTS, and the fact that the administrators NEVER RESPONDED TO AN EMAIL, it was the only way I could be a part of Ants.

I'm sorry, but I really want to be here and add to the community.
    DontBurnTheDay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #57
    DreamingStreets

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

My top 5 on the big 3...

Crash Into Me
    Satellite
    Lover Lay Down
    Ants Marching
    Crush

Nope. The only ones since that have cone close to doing so are So Right, Gray Street, and Bartender.
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote