Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #91
Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Goucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingWilly8 View Post
Honestly...love the music, hate the lyrics. At what point did Dave become all about saving the world? I realize the presidential election is coming up, and the two songs we've heard so far (Mercy, Gaucho) have had some pretty strong political ties. I'm not going on one of those "this band is screwed" rants, but people said they'd be happy if Mercy was the worst song on the album. Personally, I'd be pissed if Gaucho wasn't the worst song on the album.
If you think Gaucho and Mercy are about politics then you didn't listen hard enough.
Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #92
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Othello-5 View Post
    If you think Gaucho and Mercy are about politics then you didn't listen hard enough.
    Sometimes lyrics really are straight forward. These two songs apply.

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #93
    crushme1990

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm sorry, but they obviously are. For crying out loud he debuted Mercy the night Obama appeared on Jimmy Fallon's show.
    crushme1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #94
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crushme1990 View Post
    I'm sorry, but they obviously are. For crying out loud he debuted Mercy the night Obama appeared on Jimmy Fallon's show.
    And that is exactly why you think they are political, because of the timing. The timing didn't decide the meaning of the song, but it did alter your perception of it. I'll agree with the save the world vibe, but there isn't anything in either song that directly references politics in any way.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Gaucho is more about religion than politics, about not just blindly relying on faith to cure the worlds ills but taking action to rectify them. Yes this can be applied to politics but that is certainly not the only thing it can be applied to. you are applying the meaning of the song to politics, but politics are not the meaning of the song.

Also, I'm fairly certain that you aren't actually sorry.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #95
    Dmbdrummer26

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Well its official.... Steve Lillywhite could not resurrect Dave's lyrics. I do like the verse guitar riff alot. I was hopeful during the intro and verse, and then it went south. And wait why the kids at the end?
    Dmbdrummer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #96
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    Sometimes lyrics really are straight forward. These two songs apply.
    Gaucho is most definitely about religion and blind faith, not politics. Mercy has a "save the world" vibe, but its meaning was only applied to politics because it was debuted on the same show the president was on; the song itself is apolitical.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #97
    crushme5

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Oh wow! Had a gig tonight and just got home to this tasty morsel of a song. I did the proper thing by dowloanding it, burning it to a CD, and cranking it on the surround sound in my living room.

"Gaucho" is fantastic. Wow! Very complex musically. It's amazing how much of a difference this is from the past three records. The loudness is not a factor here at all. Each instrument comes through very clear. I'm going to have to get used to those kids voices, but overall I'm VERY impressed by this. This is the direction I was really hoping they'd move in. If I would compare this to other DMB songs, I would have to say it's a combination of The Stone and Dreaming Tree.

Cannot wait for the Atlanta show on Tuesday! So pumped!
    crushme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #98
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dmbdrummer26 View Post
    Well its official.... Steve Lillywhite could not resurrect Dave's lyrics. I do like the verse guitar riff alot. I was hopeful during the intro and verse, and then it went south. And wait why the kids at the end?
    Dave is singing about what will he tell his children about the state of the world. using actual children drives the point home.

And if you don't like it, i doubt they are hauling a childrens choir around with them on the tour.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #99
    Dmbdrummer26

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crushme5 View Post
    Oh wow! Had a gig tonight and just got home to this tasty morsel of a song. I did the proper thing by dowloanding it, burning it to a CD, and cranking it on the surround sound in my living room.

"Gaucho" is fantastic. Wow! Very complex musically. It's amazing how much of a difference this is from the past three records. The loudness is not a factor here at all. Each instrument comes through very clear. I'm going to have to get used to those kids voices, but overall I'm VERY impressed by this. This is the direction I was really hoping they'd move in. If I would compare this to other DMB songs, I would have to say it's a combination of The Stone and Dreaming Tree.

Cannot wait for the Atlanta show on Tuesday! So pumped!
    Wait did you really just compare this to The Stone and Dreaming Tree? Im going to go kill myself now
    Dmbdrummer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #100
    TrippingWilly8

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

you are applying the meaning of the song to politics, but politics are not the meaning of the song.

Fair enough, you got me there. But whatever the origin or meaning, still not a fan of the lyrics, or the kids choir at the end. I think this song couldve been a classic with some less literal lyrics
    TrippingWilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #101
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you are applying the meaning of the song to politics, but politics are not the meaning of the song.

Fair enough, you got me there. But whatever the origin or meaning, still not a fan of the lyrics, or the kids choir at the end. I think this song couldve been a classic with some less literal lyrics
    You don't have to like the lyrics if you are concerned about your perceptions of general quality (honestly I dont care much about lyrics, good or bad), but it seems that some people don't like them because they are "political" and they should give them a chance from a different persepective.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #102
    TrippingWilly8

My Tour Central Stats

sorry, maybe i should say "would be"...its a little too early to say "could've been"
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #103
    crushme1990

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And that is exactly why you think they are political, because of the timing. The timing didn't decide the meaning of the song, but it did alter your perception of it. I'll agree with the save the world vibe, but there isn't anything in either song that directly references politics in any way.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Gaucho is more about religion than politics, about not just blindly relying on faith to cure the worlds ills but taking action to rectify them. Yes this can be applied to politics but that is certainly not the only thing it can be applied to. you are applying the meaning of the song to politics, but politics are not the meaning of the song.

Also, I'm fairly certain that you aren't actually sorry.
    You are doing the same thing. Everybody is. Nobody knows for certain what the exact meaning of the songs are yet, that's why we have to look at context. I mean, where are you getting your "this song is about religion" interpretation? Exactly, your perceptions of the song.

These are facts: Dave debuted the song on the night Obama appeared on Jimmy Fallon. Dave is a MAJOR fundraiser/donor for Obama. Dave is a major Obama supporter. Dave is releasing the CD in September (right before the election in November).

You are fooling yourself if you don't think these two songs are political. Dave has never been shy about his politics.

More importantly, it's not the overt political messages that bother me (although they do get annoying), it's the uncreative, cheesy lyrics.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #104
    TrippingWilly8

My Tour Central Stats

I'm fully ready to take back my disliking of these lyrics because I thought there were some intended policical implications. However, i just can't take the lyrics seriously, whether it be because they are too chessy or too literal. I want to like this song, I really do. I just think people were so ready to like this song regardless of what it sounded like because of the Lillywhite hype.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #105
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are doing the same thing. Everybody is. Nobody knows for certain what the exact meaning of the songs are yet, that's why we have to look at context. I mean, where are you getting your "this song is about religion" interpretation? Exactly, your perceptions of the song.

These are facts: Dave debuted the song on the night Obama appeared on Jimmy Fallon. Dave is a MAJOR fundraiser/donor for Obama. Dave is a major Obama supporter. Dave is releasing the CD in September (right before the election in November).

You are fooling yourself if you don't think these two songs are political. Dave has never been shy about his politics.

More importantly, it's not the overt political messages that bother me (although they do get annoying), it's the uncreative, cheesy lyrics.
    From another poster in the DMB Discussion thread on Gaucho (he explains it a lot better than I do)...

[Look past the "world change" political assumption.

My impression of the lyrics: Everyone, especially in DMBc hears "We gotta change things" and automatically assume that it is an "AMERICA! FUCK YEA!" song - Dave's been lazy with his writing, but I've always been one to think more is there than we are believing.

This song to me is purely a calling out to organized religion. The word Gaucho is usually used (unless you are wearing dumb pants) to describe a cowboy of sorts, someone that goes against the norm to change the state of a nation. The title of it sets the tone of the song.

It starts off mentioning the simplicities of man, but the ability to survive; fire, stone, roofs, walls and bed - the line "there must be more than this" is seemingly sung from another perspective. "So God was born and we in his, image of fear and love, look down from up above". This line is incredible. Saying that no matter what we accomplish, we are worried about what is above; but do nothing else because we trust in the "love".

A lot of the song is praising the accomplishments of MAN, large cities, landing on the moon - crossing oceans (ironic, almost calling out that whole Moses thing ). But our biggest obstacle is believing in ourselves enough to survive, rather than placing it in the hands of "God?"

I think the whole concept of the song is really cool, and nothing to do with right wing left wing politics. It, too me, is very direct in calling out organize religion - and bringing in the kids kind of showcases the notion of starting this with the new generation. Believe in what you can do in a man, quit panicking - and change things for yourself rather than hoping for the end of the world.]

Last edited by Othello-5; 05-18-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #106
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm fully ready to take back my disliking of these lyrics because I thought there were some intended policical implications. However, i just can't take the lyrics seriously, whether it be because they are too chessy or too literal. I want to like this song, I really do. I just think people were so ready to like this song regardless of what it sounded like because of the Lillywhite hype.
    Just as many want to hate it because of a bias towards the early stuff and a unshakable disbelief that the band can top (or equal) it. (I think some of them don't actually want the band to top or equal the older stuff).
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #107
    TrippingWilly8

My Tour Central Stats

"So God was born and we in his, image of fear and love, look down from up above". This line is incredible.

As much as i disliked the lyrics, this line did stick out for me, it is very solid.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #108
    crushme1990

My Tour Central Stats

Othello, you should have taken your own crack at interpreting the song, because I do not agree with the one you posted. Regardless, even if the song has -some- religious overtones (which I don't deny, obviously a lot of DMB's songs do), it does not in any way disregard ANY of the points I made. Religion and politics aren't mutually exclusive rather, in many cases they go hand in hand.

I am trying to be open-minded, I am. But these songs, in my opinion, are overtly political and thus result in uncreative and cheesy lyrics. (We've been introduced to two songs, which at least on the surface, seem similar lyrically..)

Again, all this said, I still eagerly await the album because musically the song is really good.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #109
    Kevaroo
    I'm the .1%

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Whats Goucho?
    Kevaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #110
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevaroo View Post
    Whats Goucho?
    the OP made a second post saying he misspelled it, due to excitement.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #111
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Othello, you should have taken your own crack at interpreting the song, because I do not agree with the one you posted. Regardless, even if the song has -some- religious overtones (which I don't deny, obviously a lot of DMB's songs do), it does not in any way disregard ANY of the points I made. Religion and politics aren't mutually exclusive rather, in many cases they go hand in hand.

I am trying to be open-minded, I am. But these songs, in my opinion, are overtly political and thus result in uncreative and cheesy lyrics. (We've been introduced to two songs, which at least on the surface, seem similar lyrically..)

Again, all this said, I still eagerly await the album because musically the song is really good.
    Lets agree to disagree with everything then (except for the bolded, which I fervently agree with)
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #112
    lieNrgraves3

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Funny how people pick apart lyrics on here. Enjoy a new song. It's been a long time. Who cares what it means. You'll never truly know. So just enjoy it.
    lieNrgraves3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #113
    TrippingWilly8

My Tour Central Stats

Agree to disagree. I still have a lot of hope for this album. Steve Lillywhite won't produce a bust, it just doesn't happen. I just hope Dave can write the lyrics that we all know he's capable of writing
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #114
    crushme1990

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lets agree to disagree with everything then (except for the bolded, which I fervently agree with)
    Agreed, but before I do, let me make one more point (because I can't just let things go :P).

If anything, this song is about the inadequatecy of relying on religion (or empty/blind faith) on seeing out change. Hence the, "We've gotta' do much more than believe if we really wanna see the world change."

In my opinion, the do "more" refers to being politically active. And Dave's politics are no secret.

Can't wait for the album. Cheers.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #115
    Othello-5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed, but before I do, let me make one more point (because I can't just let things go :P).

If anything, this song is about the inadequatecy of relying on religion (or empty/blind faith) on seeing out change. Hence the, "We've gotta' do much more than believe if we really wanna see the world change."

In my opinion, the do "more" refers to being politically active. And Dave's politics are no secret.

Can't wait for the album. Cheers.
    If you get a final two cents, then I do too.

The bolded is only one possible interpretation. However, there are others.

Peace.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #116
    diggerofditches
    Chuck Bartowski

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pele69 View Post
    the stone nor is this song picked
    diggerofditches is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #117
    TrippinNancies1
    Slippin slow away...

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

First listen and really, really, really like it! A fine addition to their catalog. Love this band so much.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #118
    Greyants41367

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

First listen HAF mind you. This song is amazing. The musicianship between these guys ridiculous. The bridge before the cool guitar "please wake up" section reminds me of something very busty stuffy. This break with the kids is the newest DMB sound ever. It's a perfect way of combining past DMB and current DMB. The lyrics are very activistsy. Best night ever!
    Greyants41367 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #119
    skers7676

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Like it a lot....
    skers7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #120
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skers7676 View Post
    Like it a lot....

Despite some of teh hate DMB always will get for anything new- I really enjoy this, too.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote