Goucho - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #121
lastcall

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Goucho

love how carter is sounding... steve really knows how to make him sound like carter.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #122
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

This is the most original and inspirational piece of music that I've heard the DMB produce since BTCS. Fucking love it, completely excited for a round of summer concerts and September with this album dropping.
    DMBartenderWI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #123
    sumdevil41

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevaroo View Post
    Whats Goucho?
    It's pretty funny, the actual song is spelled Gaucho, and I know the OP accidentally spelled it Goucho but it's even spelled Goucho on/in Tour Central for tonights show.

#Gaucho

Also, here is wiki definition of Gaucho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaucho
    sumdevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #124
    matthewdaves187
    John 3:16

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Some people will never be happy with anything new the band releases. It makes you wonder if #41 came out today, would the haters hate that as well--because it would be new. I don't think they would...but they might. I don't think the lyrics are the greatest, but they aren't that bad, and that music is really nice.

--Matt

Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #125
    blusi

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Listen to the song about 10 times and it's damn great. Man, it's different, but still DMB. Oh boy, this record will be epic.

Zürich - München - Frankfurt - Paris
    blusi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #126
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Musically, I could not be more excited about this new album now. Lots of fun stuff to discover in this recording. God bless Steve Lillywhite.

Lyrically, it's ok. Another preachy song from Dave. I hope this isn't a theme for the album.
    Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #127
    robbosma

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewdaves187 View Post
    Some people will never be happy with anything new the band releases. It makes you wonder if #41 came out today, would the haters hate that as well--because it would be new. I don't think they would...but they might. I don't think the lyrics are the greatest, but they aren't that bad, and that music is really nice.

--Matt

I agree. So many people, on this forum and in general, are wannabe hipsters who have the mindset of older=better and newer=worse when it comes to music, and particularly DMB.

I also find humor in the masses that quickly criticize the musical merits or songwriting elements of this song, but yet the majority of these people (Presumably) have never written a song, played a musical instrument, or studied music in any organized fashion. And before you flame, I do realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion and you don't have to be a musician to appreciate and enjoy music. It does help though when you wish to discuss specific elements of a song intelligently.

Overall, I am thankful for the release of this song and looking forward to hearing more from the new album. I like the diverse sound to the song, the Latin influenced elements, the compound meter, and particularly enjoyed Jeff's solo section. I also liked the vocal timbre of Dave's voice, particularly on the bridge section. As numerous posters have cited, I did not care for the children's chorus and agree with the likelihood of this being a Lillywhite influence.
    robbosma is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #128
    scollie41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

This song and this recording are complex. Listen with headphones....there is so much going on and so many layers, it's obviously a Lillywhite production.

There are some good lines in the song as well. I hated DDTW when I heard it the first time. Actually until I heard it live I didn't care for it and eventually the album version grew on me. What we think of this song today compared to 10 years from now will vary greatly.
    scollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #129
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scollie41 View Post
    This song and this recording are complex. Listen with headphones....there is so much going on and so many layers, it's obviously a Lillywhite production.

There are some good lines in the song as well. I hated DDTW when I heard it the first time. Actually until I heard it live I didn't care for it and eventually the album version grew on me. What we think of this song today compared to 10 years from now will vary greatly.
    I usually listen to music that I can enjoy now and not in 10 years, though
    markus_europe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #130
    TrippingWilly8

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Some people will never be happy with anything new the band releases. It makes you wonder if #41 came out today, would the haters hate that as well--because it would be new.

You're just as eager to bash the 'haters" as the "haters" are eager to bash the new song. I've never really complained with anything DMB has put out (with the exception of some slip ups on Stand Up) and I'm not ready to start complaining now. Having said that, I would describe my attitude towards this song as wary. Wary for the future. This song definitely shows some promise, and for God's sake it's good to actually hear elements of DMB that we didn't hear a lot from on BW, like Dave's acoustic guitar - and that's Lillywhite's doing. But as I said - wary at this point, very cautious as to not get my hopes for this album too high, even though this is a very early and miniscule look at the album. Still could be great, hope it is.
    TrippingWilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #131
    onuace135

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I dont get a political or religious message from this song at all. I feel its more of a song about progress and how things can evolve and change but only if we put in the effort. It talks about how the cavemen probably thought they knew so much but there was so much more that could be done, and now we have cities and skyscrapers and have traveled to the moon but there is probably still so much more that can be done and if we atleast "believe" then we can continue. The ending has that kind of message that we might just kind of spin our wheels and have nothing for our kids to believe in.
    onuace135 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #132
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

that "we could do anything, we flew to the stars and back" could be a part of "You And Me".

The production is great, the instrumentation is great and I don't even mind the children choir. The initial guitar riff is great. But the pre-chorusses and chorusses, they're You And Me-DMB. Even Lillywhite couldn't change that anymore.
    markus_europe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #133
    TrippingWilly8

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

After about a dozen more listens, I can say I'm in love with the music. The verses are really growing on me, I'd rather see them do a third verse in the spot they have the children's choir, and I think the chorus is weak. However, albums are made to be listened to beginning to end, so who knows what this song will sound like within the context of the album.

Last edited by TrippingWilly8; 05-19-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    TrippingWilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #134
    kingchrisII
    The book of Dilligaf

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

This exceeded my sky high expectations... this song is absolutely fantastic.

(yes, you can sig that)
    kingchrisII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #135
    pricedon

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingchrisII View Post
    This exceeded my sky high expectations... this song is absolutely fantastic.
    Oh yes... and this is just one track, can't wait for the rest!
    pricedon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #136
    jamjumpin

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Kids should never be allowed to sing on professionally recorded songs.

(I quite like the rest of the song though.)

Last edited by jamjumpin; 05-19-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    jamjumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #137
    cipron

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

My observations: Daves voice sounds great. Tim is on acoustic again along with dave. When he switches to electric, it isn't overpowering. nice balance. Boyd is all over this song, unlike the past, it seems like he's being incorporated more. Finally, carter is more conservative on this song and less overpowering but his fills are appropriate for the song. Overall, great song.
    cipron is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #138
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crushme1990 View Post
    You are doing the same thing. Everybody is. Nobody knows for certain what the exact meaning of the songs are yet, that's why we have to look at context. I mean, where are you getting your "this song is about religion" interpretation? Exactly, your perceptions of the song.

These are facts: Dave debuted the song on the night Obama appeared on Jimmy Fallon. Dave is a MAJOR fundraiser/donor for Obama. Dave is a major Obama supporter. Dave is releasing the CD in September (right before the election in November).

You are fooling yourself if you don't think these two songs are political. Dave has never been shy about his politics.

More importantly, it's not the overt political messages that bother me (although they do get annoying), it's the uncreative, cheesy lyrics.
    A) Dave is not a major fundraiser/donor for Obama. A very prominent supporter, yes.

B) These songs seem political to you because you want them too. I think it's pretty clear you're not a fan of the President so you're trying to spin these songs as Dave trying to do work for the election. Look closer at the songs. They're political if you perceive them that way. There's more to them than just meets the eye.
    Old 05-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #139
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Warehouse + The Stone + You And Me + Trouble With You = Gaucho

I am liking this. Musically I am REALLY excited. Lyrically, not bad, I just hope Dave has more to talk about on the rest of the album. This song and Mercy are, thematically, completely identical. I don't mind it, but I don't know if I can get down with a whole album of tracks on that same theme.

But to the experimentation: I've been wanting them to branch out more, tap that untapped potential.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #140
    Harrycaray

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lieNrgraves3 View Post
    Funny how people pick apart lyrics on here. Enjoy a new song. It's been a long time. Who cares what it means. You'll never truly know. So just enjoy it.
    New Dave Matthews Band music regardless of how it ends up is amazing. We're very spoiled with having the greatest band of my generation still playing after 20 years and writing new music, still this isnt the type of old school dmb that we were all hoping for, uttad -> lillywhite sessions. But nothing will ever compare with the first time you heard Ants, Warehouse, Billies, or even the lillywhite Bartender. Thats just the nature of the beast. Those songs started all of this for alot of us. But this song still at the end of the day rocks. I could honestly see this with a badass uplifting video especially when the kids come in singing. One thing we can take from this is this summer is going to be fun. boyd sounds really good. and the horns sound awesome, Leroi would of killed that solo in it.

3 song Demo is now up!!! www.facebook.com/soundsandscenariosband
    Harrycaray is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #141
    JTRevelator15

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The lyric bashing—especially the people who are employing the word "cheesy"—is cracking me up. Can anyone honestly tell me that lyrics are the reason they got into the Dave Matthews Band in the first place? Dave writes cheesy lyrics and you act like this is news, some horrible turn of events? Dave writing brilliant lyrics has always been the exception to the rule.

In the meantime, we've got a guitar riff that would sound at home on UTTAD, we've got complex layering in a studio DMB song, we can hear Boyd and we aren't cringing, Tim isn't fuzzing out the song from start to finish, and the horns sound killer. I'm choosing to be happy with it.
    JTRevelator15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #142
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scollie41 View Post

I am loving it with headphones. so many layers. Boyd sawing away on the violin, the heartbeat before the childrens chorus. i really like it. the thing people seem to dislike are the children, and the lyrics. I dunno, I mean, how deep were the lyrics to tripping billies and ants marching?
    dmband425 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #143
    kitkatcarter

My Tour Central Stats

Like it or not you have to admit the kids were unnecessary.
    kitkatcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #144
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTRevelator15 View Post
    The lyric bashing—especially the people who are employing the word "cheesy"—is cracking me up. Can anyone honestly tell me that lyrics are the reason they got into the Dave Matthews Band in the first place? Dave writes cheesy lyrics and you act like this is news, some horrible turn of events? Dave writing brilliant lyrics has always been the exception to the rule.

In the meantime, we've got a guitar riff that would sound at home on UTTAD, we've got complex layering in a studio DMB song, we can hear Boyd and we aren't cringing, Tim isn't fuzzing out the song from start to finish, and the horns sound killer. I'm choosing to be happy with it.

I'm a puppy for your love or how about the lyrics to the to the song that jane likes? yes, some songs he has written, you can look at and go wow. but those were also dark times for Dave, and it almost destroyed the band. I'll take "cheesey" lyrics and a happy Dave, then a few deep songs, and have the band fade off into oblivion.
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #145
    SyrinxDireito

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Great Song! Happy to see the "Lillywhite effect" beeing true!

It has what this band best has to offer, an original Dave Matthews riff, a beautifull Dave Matthews melody, and every band member taking the spot at some place, making it special.

What a great gift from the band! After all this time, its pretty clear they still care very much for the fans..!

And I love the kids, gives it the right vibe to keep it interesting and passing the message the lyrics want to send...

Hope they keep on doing this for a very long time, and don't get tired of playing live and giving us some new songs from time to time.. I am sure this will grow on everyone, and I can't wait to be in the middle of a Portuguese crowd singing with the band "Gotta do much more than believe, if you really wanna change things"...!
    SyrinxDireito is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #146
    jamjumpin

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

If you take the kids out, there's some amazing musicianship happening in the background, why cover that up?!
    jamjumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #147
    bobloblaw

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TakeMeBack View Post
    love it. cept for the kids
    The kids are probably a South African influence.
    bobloblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #148
    bobloblaw

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamjumpin View Post
    If you take the kids out, there's some amazing musicianship happening in the background, why cover that up?!
    You people are hopeless. This song is about hope and change; children embody both. They belong in this song.

This is visionary music. Simply incredible.
    bobloblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #149
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitkatcarter View Post
    Like it or not you have to admit the kids were unnecessary.
    why were they unnecessary? The song is about the future, and how we as a people have lost our imagination, and our will at times, that we have become such a cynical bunch, who clings to hope and faith, that all things will get better through praying it will change. it's not like he was singing about getting laid and threw a chorus of kids singing about sex. listen to the way the song progresses lyrically and the part when he says we flew to the stars and back, down to the ground hard. and when he says please wake up, and it has a slow faint heartbeat as if the person is coming to life, and he hears the children singing, the children starting low and then grow louder. that's what I took away from it. just my 2 cents. flame away...
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #150
    kitkatcarter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmband425 View Post
    why were they unnecessary? The song is about the future, and how we as a people have lost our imagination, and our will at times, that we have become such a cynical bunch, who clings to hope and faith, that all things will get better through praying it will change. it's not like he was singing about getting laid and threw a chorus of kids singing about sex. listen to the way the song progresses lyrically and the part when he says we flew to the stars and back, down to the ground hard. and when he says please wake up, and it has a slow faint heartbeat as if the person is coming to life, and he hears the children singing, the children starting low and then grow louder. that's what I took away from it. just my 2 cents. flame away...
    Because out of that entirely decent statement, the kids are still overdone. Idk, to me it gives it almost an overproduced air to it, what made DMB so popular was their different style, not really mainstream crap. Take the kids out, you've got a great song. Leave the kids in, you've got a song pushing it's message into your face. That's just my opinion.
    kitkatcarter is offline   Reply With Quote