I'm really quite enjoying it.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #62
    planstoquit

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: If Only

Interesting.....this new DMB sound you speak of.......... is terribly mediocre.
    planstoquit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #63
    lucas3735

My Tour Central Stats

Digging it. If Only > Mercy > Sweet > Gaucho
    lucas3735 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #64
    character111

My Tour Central Stats

So the new songs are mellow and people don't like them.

Most of the classic DMB songs were mellow: #41, Satellite, Typical Situation, Say Goodbye, Recently, Proudest Monkey, Cry Freedom, Crash into Me, Crush, Pig, Spoon, most of the Lillywhite Sessions.

I think some Ants have gotten a little too familiar with Cornbread and the rest of the BW era electric/rock songs. All you do is complain about those songs, but if there's just a hint of subtly or dynamics or the band moving back from the hard rock sound in new material, we get a mutiny among the fans.

Last edited by character111; 06-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    character111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #65
    Whiskey29

My Tour Central Stats

If there wasn't good info on these boards I would have stopped reading them long ago. Some people just can't be pleased.
    Whiskey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #66
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by character111 View Post
    So the new songs are mellow and people don't like them.

Most of the classic DMB songs were mellow: #41, Satellite, Typical Situation, Say Goodbye, Recently, Proudest Monkey, Cry Freedom, Crash into Me, Crush, Pig, Spoon, most of the Lillywhite Sessions.

I think some Ants have gotten a little too familiar with Cornbread and the rest of the BW era electric/rock songs. All you do is complain about those songs, but if there's just a hint of subtly or dynamics or the band moving back from the hard rock sound in new material, we get a mutiny among the fans.
    yes. this.
    lafleurjp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #67
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I am very happy with the direction this song is taking. Makes me more excited about the album
    BigEyedFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #68
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiskey29 View Post
    If there wasn't good info on these boards I would have stopped reading them long ago. Some people just can't be pleased.
    There are bright spots on the internet... a band's message board isn't one of them. This is, what, a segment of a few thousand out of the millions who love this band? You have to take the mood around here with a grain of salt.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
    vanhammer1080

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I love the harder rock songs/sound they do, but I know back in 08 when I first saw this band, it was the older Crash, Don't Drink, Say Goodbyes that made me interested in seeing them. Sounds change of course, but it is great to see some of this sound I forever thought was lost. If Only is mellow and hints toward an earlier classic sound, yet incorporates a 'newer' flash of sound I am accustomed to. It's just awesome, and bliss.
    vanhammer1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #70
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Gave it a couple more listens with the one cam vid. I definitely like it somewhat better than earlier...however, I still don't know what was with Carter's drumming, this song is begging him to do what he usually does. I also think Boyd gets involved way too late in the song, as well as the horns. I think it's melodically strong through and through though. Just seems like the kind of song where a bit more should be going on before that outro.

As it stands, it's my least favorite of the new stuff.
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #71
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Finally listened. Definitely my favorite of the new songs.
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #72
    TrippingWilly8

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just spitballing here, but does anyone else think that on all of these new songs that they've played live (with the exception of Gaucho, which we've heard the studio version of already) they almost seem to be holding something back? The whole band doesn't come in on Sweet until after the verses and "Cover Me" part, and while I like the quiet Outro on Mercy, Lillywhite tweeted it as a full band monster (certainly debatable in the live version). And, as mentioned above, I was just waiting for Carter or Boyd to bust out something nasty on this song, and they kind of laid low. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic for the studio versions, but does anyone else see where I'm coming from? Like maybe this band doesn't wanna give everything about the album away during the tour?
    TrippingWilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #73
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingWilly8 View Post
    I'm just spitballing here, but does anyone else think that on all of these new songs that they've played live (with the exception of Gaucho, which we've heard the studio version of already) they almost seem to be holding something back? The whole band doesn't come in on Sweet until after the verses and "Cover Me" part, and while I like the quiet Outro on Mercy, Lillywhite tweeted it as a full band monster (certainly debatable in the live version). And, as mentioned above, I was just waiting for Carter or Boyd to bust out something nasty on this song, and they kind of laid low. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic for the studio versions, but does anyone else see where I'm coming from? Like maybe this band doesn't wanna give everything about the album away during the tour?
    The hopeful fan in me says they are holding back an amazing run of new songs we haven't heard yet for the fall. As far as what we've heard, the band has never been known To debut songs with the intention of preventing excellence. No I don't think there is to the current new songs that the band knows about and we don't. They play everything they play to the best of their ability, at least I hope they do
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #74
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I love how Dave challenges himself vocally with this song. The melody is all over his range, especially in the chorus.
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #75
    TrippingWilly8

My Tour Central Stats

Good point, wouldn't be happy with them half-assing anything live either
    TrippingWilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #76
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanbball17 View Post
    I love how Dave challenges himself vocally with this song. The melody is all over his range, especially in the chorus.
    . This is my favorite aspect of the tune.
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #77
    dmb_25_coog

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

this song seems great for an extended intro in the future ...this song also seems like a great way to start a show once people actually know it

Last edited by dmb_25_coog; 06-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    dmb_25_coog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #78
    FJM005

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I like this song a whole lot. Reminds me of Sugar Will.
    FJM005 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #79
    peaceluvndmb

My Tour Central Stats

It's ok... I like Sweet, Gaucho, and Mercy more, and all those are real nice. This seems kinda repetitive. Eh, maybe it will grow on me.
    Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #80
    ethaxton
    eLL

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I wanna go back and find the thread of when New Song #4 (Sugar Will) debuted in 2004. I don't remember it getting a very good response initially. I know I didn't like it at all at first. I'm not saying this is Sugar Will's brother but it has as a similar hypnotic type laid-back groove with a less-offensive Smooth Rider type attitude. I hope the studio take is good because this has a lot of room to breathe live.

I'll also second that if you are in a crabby mood you probably won't like the song initially. After coming home from a shitty day at work I didn't enjoy it all on my first listen. Chorus annoyed me. Went to the gym, had a smoke, and def put me in a much better place to really listen to the song.

Shows Attended
    ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #81
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone else get "A Dream so Real" vibe from this? Songs growing on me. I'm bobbing my head to it for sure. Starting to get the scope of the 'new sound' direction they're going.
    Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #82
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I am really digging this new tune. It's a simple, yet extremely catchy melody, Dave's vocals are really fun to listen to, and I keep hitting replay - all the aspects of a hit song in my opinion. I always appreciate the band's complex and layered tunes, but when they stumble upon a simple groove that doesn't need time changes and flourishes to make it a great time to hear, I think that deserves just as much appreciation.

Think about Seven Nation Army for instance- that song is extremely catchy, but simple and straight forward - the 7 opening notes of the tune is what make it unique and that hook sticks in your head. It's not Jack White's most complex composition, but its the song that brought a mainstream fanbase and tons of airplay. I think this new tune has "radio hit" written all over it, and it doesn't try to hard to be that like FTWII did for instance.
    z28snksknr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #83
    kitkatcarter

My Tour Central Stats

I love this song, better than the other new songs, except for one part. "I know you and you know me and I know you can see," sounds much worse than anything else in the song. I know the lyrics aren't genius level as a whole, but that line especially is pretty bad. Not knocking the song, just making an observation.
    kitkatcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #84
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

I like it...Tim has some very nice blues touches (definitely agree with the Mayer comparisons), Dave's vocals sound great (and should be perfect on the album), and the horn lines are nice too
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #85
    CPPJames

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I'm surprised to see the (generally) positive response to this song. Of all the new songs (excluding Sweet which I like a lot), the only part I've personally been a fan of is the first minute+ of Gaucho. It has an interesting rhythm, it's very classic-DMB sounding, yet still fresh. Then suddenly.......TRUMPETS! It just felt so out of place. Mercy grew on me a tiny bit live but his lyrics just seems to be really failing lately. I love this band and have seen them for years upon years and said nary a negative word in that time. I'm just sick of mediocrity when they've proven they can be so strong. His lyrics lately are far more literal and he's falling into this trap of using words like "sometimes" and "something" and rhyming "you" and "to" and "me" and "see" far too much. This part of Gaucho just makes me cringe:

"We gotta do much more than believe, if we wanna see the world change.
    We gotta do much more than believe ,if we really wanna change things.
    We gotta do much more than believe, go on try it, go on try it.
    We gotta do much more than believe, if we wanna see the world change."

Yikes.

Lyrically this song just doesn't impress me. I don't mind the fact that it's slow, or the general vibe of it. But Carter just keeps knocking out the same beat the entire time and Dave's playing this almost waltzy thing that is very unlike them. Don't get me wrong, I still love this band and want to see them every chance I get because they're incredible live. But between Everyday, Stand Up, Big Whiskey and what I've heard of this album, I'm starting to get a little nervous that the great albums are a thing of the past and they're tending toward elevator music. I'm still hoping Lillywhite can bring back some magic and these three songs are the weakest of the bunch.
    CPPJames is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #86
    planstoquit

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CPPJames View Post
    I'm surprised to see the (generally) positive response to this song. Of all the new songs (excluding Sweet which I like a lot), the only part I've personally been a fan of is the first minute+ of Gaucho. It has an interesting rhythm, it's very classic-DMB sounding, yet still fresh. Then suddenly.......TRUMPETS! It just felt so out of place. Mercy grew on me a tiny bit live but his lyrics just seems to be really failing lately. I love this band and have seen them for years upon years and said nary a negative word in that time. I'm just sick of mediocrity when they've proven they can be so strong. His lyrics lately are far more literal and he's falling into this trap of using words like "sometimes" and "something" and rhyming "you" and "to" and "me" and "see" far too much. This part of Gaucho just makes me cringe:

"We gotta do much more than believe, if we wanna see the world change.
    We gotta do much more than believe ,if we really wanna change things.
    We gotta do much more than believe, go on try it, go on try it.
    We gotta do much more than believe, if we wanna see the world change."

Yikes.

Lyrically this song just doesn't impress me. I don't mind the fact that it's slow, or the general vibe of it. But Carter just keeps knocking out the same beat the entire time and Dave's playing this almost waltzy thing that is very unlike them. Don't get me wrong, I still love this band and want to see them every chance I get because they're incredible live. But between Everyday, Stand Up, Big Whiskey and what I've heard of this album, I'm starting to get a little nervous that the great albums are a thing of the past and they're tending toward elevator music. I'm still hoping Lillywhite can bring back some magic and these three songs are the weakest of the bunch.
    planstoquit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #87
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I love every album they have put out save most of Stand Up.

Don't know why people just don't enjoy the music!
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #88
    Buffman116

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yesdave View Post
    Here is a download for the track. Great quality taped by M. Peters so thanks to him. Enjoy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6lo4mv
    Does M. Peters have a name on here, or is that it? Thanks!
    Buffman116 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #89
    CPPJames

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I love every album they have put out save most of Stand Up.

Don't know why people just don't enjoy the music!
    It's just a matter of perspective. Imagine they were going to do a tour of exclusively of Stand Up, Big Whiskey, Everyday and the four songs we've heard so far. I wouldn't go. For years I've felt like I have to listen to mediocre songs just to get to the good stuff when they have plenty of good stuff already. I could listen to them knock out BTCS/UTTAD/Crash only tour and I'd be buying tickets to every show within 500 miles.

For years I thought it was just a phase they were going through that I personally didn't like...that eventually there'd be a return to form. I'm still holding out hope for this album, but I won't be surprised if this one falls flat. I can understand a band wanting to evolve...nothing wrong with that. But this has seemed far more like a regression than an evolution.
    CPPJames is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #90
    KillerBunny

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Tim Reynolds sounds like John Mayer with his tone in this song I like it
    KillerBunny is offline   Reply With Quote