• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #122
    stbdmb91
    I want more dave!!!!

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: If Only

If Only is definitely my least favorite of the new material. I just cant get myself into a song with a chorus that musically quotes ring around the rosy...

As for the Carter comments; He does seem to be playing fairly conserved on some of the new stuff IMO. But at the same time there is a lot of potential for him so explode on a lot of the songs and make them something great. Give the band time to feel how they want to play the songs live...

Go Orange!
    stbdmb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #123
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stbdmb91 View Post
    If Only is definitely my least favorite of the new material. I just cant get myself into a song with a chorus that musically quotes ring around the rosy...

As for the Carter comments; He does seem to be playing fairly conserved on some of the new stuff IMO. But at the same time there is a lot of potential for him so explode on a lot of the songs and make them something great. Give the band time to feel how they want to play the songs live...
    He is fantastic on gaucho and is classic Carter on a song with the tempo like mercy. Hell, he played more interesting on the improv jam before Why I Am last night.
    Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #124
    DMat514

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    He is fantastic on gaucho and is classic Carter on a song with the tempo like mercy. Hell, he played more interesting on the improv jam before Why I Am last night.

He is good on Gaucho, despite reusing his go to jam at the end which we have heard a thousand times, but I do like him a lot on Mercy, and yes he does not need to go crazy on every song.
    DMat514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #125
    CPPJames

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Maybe you should try and evolve with the band. Or maybe you're not capable of doing so....which is fine. I personally prefer to hear some new music and really don't need to hear Two Step or Ants for the 400th time. But I'm older and like chill music. But that's just me.
    All I'm saying is that I can't imagine someone putting any of these songs, even after they evolve on the road, in the same league as even the worst of the classics. Yes it's early to judge...which is why I'm still holding out hope. I don't think I'll ever really give up on the band. But if you're trying to tell me these songs are the pinnacle of what they're currently capable of, then I'll just have to respectfully disagree. They can do better than this.

I really loved the first minute and change of Gaucho. It sounded like maybe they had finally figured themselves out. I held my breath (practically literally) hoping it didn't take a nosedive. With a super strong chorus that song could have been awesome. Then the whole "We gotta do much more than believe..." part comes along and...well, yeah.

I was at the show where Stay or Leave debuted. Granted, it was D&T, but that song was fully fleshed out and sounded great. I went to sleep that night thinking about the song and how interesting the rhythm was and wishing I had my guitar with me to try to work it out. It's been a long time since I've felt that way.

This is one of 2-3 bands I've ever known where I feel like they're capable of putting out an ENTIRE album of awesome songs. Hell, I even like Let You Down. I like every single song on UTTAD, Crash and BTCS and 90% of BS. When you go from liking every single song to liking maybe 2 songs (Everyday, Stand Up, BWATGGK)...it's difficult to not be disappointed.
    CPPJames is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #126
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post
    And yet I've always loved it.

wish i could, just cant
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #127
    Quendi

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Well, for those who like the song.. http://www.mediafire.com/?yeuw8kp9ybv4sp8

Remastered from Mike Peters tape of the show.
    Quendi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #128
    planstoquit

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CPPJames View Post
    All I'm saying is that I can't imagine someone putting any of these songs, even after they evolve on the road, in the same league as even the worst of the classics. Yes it's early to judge...which is why I'm still holding out hope. I don't think I'll ever really give up on the band. But if you're trying to tell me these songs are the pinnacle of what they're currently capable of, then I'll just have to respectfully disagree. They can do better than this.

I really loved the first minute and change of Gaucho. It sounded like maybe they had finally figured themselves out. I held my breath (practically literally) hoping it didn't take a nosedive. With a super strong chorus that song could have been awesome. Then the whole "We gotta do much more than believe..." part comes along and...well, yeah.

I was at the show where Stay or Leave debuted. Granted, it was D&T, but that song was fully fleshed out and sounded great. I went to sleep that night thinking about the song and how interesting the rhythm was and wishing I had my guitar with me to try to work it out. It's been a long time since I've felt that way.

This is one of 2-3 bands I've ever known where I feel like they're capable of putting out an ENTIRE album of awesome songs. Hell, I even like Let You Down. I like every single song on UTTAD, Crash and BTCS and 90% of BS. When you go from liking every single song to liking maybe 2 songs (Everyday, Stand Up, BWATGGK)...it's difficult to not be disappointed.
    Well said
    planstoquit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #129
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, and there's times when I've thought the same thing but honestly, this post made me really sad for you. Not like pity, but just that you feel like you've lost your band. Obviously there's nothing anyone can do or say to convince you otherwise, but I hope you still enjoy going to shows and the entire DMB experience, not a few songs that you feel are duds. Just thinking out loud...
    Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #130
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quendi View Post
    Well, for those who like the song.. http://www.mediafire.com/?yeuw8kp9ybv4sp8

Remastered from Mike Peters tape of the show.
    thanks man
    Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #131
    davephan21

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I agree 100%
    davephan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #132
    nabigeyedfishte

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I feel like this is most people's opinion.
    Certainly is mine, although i happen to like 5 or 6 on Everyday, less on Stand Up and maybe 5 on BW.

The only song that doesn't do it for me on the big 3 is Drive in Drive out. The jam is cool but the verse has no melody and the chorus kind of annoys me.

The above description applies to at least 2/3 of the stuff they're putting out now.
    Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #133
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really liking this song!

I'm not saying its not there but I really don't hear the "ring around the rosey" similarities. I've even been trying to hear it and I just can't.

I also don't understand all the complaints recently about lyrics. Dave has Always written goofy or weird lyrics to a lot of songs. He definitely has quite a few moments of greatness lyrically but he also has quite I few moments that are just goofy or weird but that's just him.

I think a lot of people on this site want every song to be like the dreaming tree or #41 or other classics but if we just relax and enjoy the music I think everyone here would be much happier. These new songs are pretty good IMO are they Big 3 material? Maybe, maybe not. Do they need to be for them to be good or enjoyable? No they don't.

I love the fact that the band is still writing and playing new music. I don't want DMB to be a 90's nostalgia act anytime soon!! I feel like most people here want them to star in Timelife commercials and only play stuff the 90's

Last edited by dontdrink36; 06-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #134
    ibeheath

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If they can not do it on this go around with steve it will never ever happen. Everything is perfect for them right now, if they fuck it up, the community will never give them another chance. they have been dying for the last decade and this will just sum everything up. you might enjoy going to concerts to hear twenty year old music, but the newer audiences care only a fraction of what you and i think. we should all be pessimistic at this point.

Dont drink the water, there seems to have been some blood in the water, and so you shouldn't drink it. - DM
    ibeheath is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #135
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeheath View Post
    If they can not do it on this go around with steve it will never ever happen. Everything is perfect for them right now, if they fuck it up, the community will never give them another chance. they have been dying for the last decade and this will just sum everything up. you might enjoy going to concerts to hear twenty year old music, but the newer audiences care only a fraction of what you and i think. we should all be pessimistic at this point.
    Dude, I'm sorry but who the fuck are you?! Give them another chance? Stop going to shows if you don't like what they're doing. Honestly, they're not asking your permission to write music.
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #136
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

What ever happened to good lyrics?

#NATITUDE
    trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #137
    planstoquit

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Many who agree with this post will always give them another chance. The bolded is the reason why. To me, those albums were that incredible. Absolutely incredible. This and the fact that every couple of years, Dave will write a Shotgun, a Break Free, or a Baby Blue that keeps that dream alive.

Last edited by planstoquit; 06-07-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    planstoquit is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #138
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I really like this song. I'm not a huge fan of the chorus on the bridge, but the rest of the song is awesome. Tim really shines on this one.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #139
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

This is my least favorite of the new songs..Gaucho is still king!
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #140
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Since when does good = bad?
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #141
    dontburnthe_pig
    ja-nee

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

this song will be bitchin' d+t style
    dontburnthe_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #142
    Quadrophenia92
    The river taste me

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

'twas pretty cool live I must say
    Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #143
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    This is my least favorite of the new songs..Gaucho is still king!
    Def agree that Gaucho is still king. IMO its:

Gauch>Mercy>Sweet>If Only

but honestly, they're all different, so I love hearing them in succession. Lately I've been gravitating towards Mercy for driving music.
    Old 06-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #144
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This is one of 2-3 bands I've ever known where I feel like they're capable of putting out an ENTIRE album of awesome songs. Hell, I even like Let You Down. I like every single song on UTTAD, Crash and BTCS and 90% of BS. When you go from liking every single song to liking maybe 2 songs (Everyday, Stand Up, BWATGGK)...it's difficult to not be disappointed
    I have come to accept the fact that they haven't been capable of that in 10 years. I don't think there are many artists truly capable of sustained greatness over a long period of time. Heck, if The Beatles did not break up after only 8-9 years, who's to say they would not have started to release a few duds. MacCartney's work with Wings, and his solo work, hardly reaches the work he did with The Beatles.

From my perspective, the Big 3, RTT and tLWS have given me about 55 of the coolest, most interesting songs I have ever heard. I expect them to try to live up to their capabilities, and it is a touch disappointing when they don't, but I feel like everything from here on out is just gravy and I'm going to enjoy the ride.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #145
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I think we have to also keep in mind that this band's best music probably came out of nowhere for most people. We all went into hearing those songs (at least the first couple albums) with no true expectations or emotional investment. It caught us greatly by surprise and it was an amazing experience that is rare to find in music. But now we have all become so emotionally invested in this band. We come to these boards obsessively to find any little bit or piece of information regarding the new music. All of this is a recipe for never truly having our expectations being met. I am not at all saying that the new music compares to the old stuff but I am purely pointing out why there is so much criticism around here. I am thankful that this band is doing what they are doing still and still pretty damn good job at it. Music is not supposed to be a stressful thing, it is supposed to be enjoyable. I enjoy the new songs and I am not going to sit around analyzing and criticizing each line Dave writes just to find a way to be bitter and unhappy with the music. What's the point? Rant over
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #146
    NumberForTOne
    Camden 4 Life

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    I think we have to also keep in mind that this band's best music probably came out of nowhere for most people. We all went into hearing those songs (at least the first couple albums) with no true expectations or emotional investment. It caught us greatly by surprise and it was an amazing experience that is rare to find in music. But now we have all become so emotionally invested in this band. We come to these boards obsessively to find any little bit or piece of information regarding the new music. All of this is a recipe for never truly having our expectations being met. I am not at all saying that the new music compares to the old stuff but I am purely pointing out why there is so much criticism around here. I am thankful that this band is doing what they are doing still and still pretty damn good job at it. Music is not supposed to be a stressful thing, it is supposed to be enjoyable. I enjoy the new songs and I am not going to sit around analyzing and criticizing each line Dave writes just to find a way to be bitter and unhappy with the music. What's the point? Rant over
    Somebody give this man an award. Great post
    Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #147
    Kiko
    legit euro ant

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

^2x

If Only is still my favorite of the new songs. Can't get enough of it. the only one i actually listen to.
    Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #148
    lafleurjp
    VisityourMommy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

enough of this. just, enough. have you heard the cliche "beauty is in the eye of the beholder?" who says this isn't the best they're capable of? YOU?!? CPPJames? And why? because it doesn't sound the same as UTTAD?; because the lyrical content and dave's perspective on the world/life in general has changed over the last quarter century and isn't as compelling to you as it was in 1995?; because when you listen to the new songs you can't recreate the feeling you had when you first listened to DMB when you were probably a teenager?

i'm not commenting on your right to state an opinion. if you don't like the music because it doesn't speak to you then fine.. I am sorry for you, but fine. flame away on the new music, i have nothing to say. If you don't like their new direction, fine. But, if you don't like the music because you're idly clinging to some pie in the sky unattainable standard that this band (or any band) could ever meet, than give it a rest. To presume that you know what this band is "capable" of when your sole criteria for making such an uninformed statement in the first place is the fact that you really really like their music from 20 years ago is lame.

everything changes. it has been said 4000 times here... if DMB tried to make UTTAD/Crash/BTCS part II they would have broken up. they need to evolve. they need to change. it is human nature. proclaiming that the band is mailing it in and not trying because YOU don't appreciate it is not very intellectually honest.
    lafleurjp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #149
    lasalleb3

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I think this song is incredible, especially what Timmy does on it, some of his best stuff. It could be the new "Crush" of this decade: a fan favorite, very bouncy/atmospheric, and a great time to light one up. I hope to see this in Camden. Long live DMB, I love this fucking band!!!
    lasalleb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #150
    Quendi

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lasalleb3 View Post
    Long live DMB, I love this fucking band!!!
    Well put, good sir..
    Quendi is offline   Reply With Quote