The Riff - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #91
cmyers2

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Riff

really liking it...actually reminds me of something in the prog rock genre...the end jam reminds me of rush or dream theatre........don't think you can really compare this song to any other song dmb has done...which is why I love this band...continue to make new and interesing music, which doesn't sound recycled, and is also pretty damn catchy!
cmyers2 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #92
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

This song makes me really proud to call this band my favorite band. That is all.
    Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #93
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    I love how you can really see how much the composition and arrangement process has shifted over the past decade...it's so evident that they put a whole lot of work into both of these aspects - even moreso than Big Whiskey, which is pretty remarkable as there were some very dynamic arrangements in BW.

In some cases, there seem to be not just sections but almost movements, The Riff being the best example so far. But really: Gaucho, Mercy, If Only, and now The Riff...there's substance, not just filler solos and tacked-on solo sections.

Gah.
    Agree in every way.
    Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #94
    dotpsd

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcomey View Post
    by far the best quality version of this so far. thanks!
    dotpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #95
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The thing is this song has so much potential to be a GREAT song. I'm a big fan of LESS TIM and MORE BOYD. The song just has too much of a rockerish sound for my taste.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #96
    robbosma

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for sharing this video. I can actually hear the song in this recording as opposed to the obnoxious crowd in the prior vids posted. I just don't understand how some people can talk through the whole show. Save yourself a whole lot of money and the rest of a lot of frustration and just STAY HOME if you plan on talking throughout a show.

</rant> Anyway, I like the tune.
    robbosma is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #97
    dreamingrace
    every hue inside of you

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

inspiring. I for one know that I don't want to stay the same, I'd like to change it up.

It's going to morph into a monster live - I can hear a brass jam waiting to bust out. nice work fellas, love it - thanks for transcribing the lyrics and posting the vids.
    dreamingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #98
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Awesome man

Can't wait to see what Copperpot does with this one. Couple good HD vids now.
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #99
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

There is just so much musicality. Carter's drums are not just a rhythmic backbone, but accent the dynamics of Dave's part. And the flutre/horn parts are just amazing. This will be so dynamic in the studio. One of the classic lillwhite songs where you hear 2 new things everytime you listen.

Also, these have some great lyrics. Nothing feels forced. And think we are spoiled. This song could have been really simple. intro, chorus, verse, chorus. But it builds and has varying parts and a jam. I'm loving this.
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #100
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I was in the pit for this song and it was friggin awesome - videos do not do it any justice, but I'm thankful for you guys that posted them.

Its one of those songs that seems so familiar the first time you hear it - like the melodies are effortless to open up to - hard to explain. All I know is that I couldn't wait to hear it again and its going to be an insane listen on the studio cut - guaranteed!

There is that one little awkward part ~4:40. I hope they get that ironed out because it seems like they stutter a bit trying to make that transition to Tim's solo. When the rest of the song is so awesome, it stands out a bit. That's not me being "negative ant", that's just my opinion.
    z28snksknr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #101
    Cedwards0405

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    I love how you can really see how much the composition and arrangement process has shifted over the past decade...it's so evident that they put a whole lot of work into both of these aspects - even moreso than Big Whiskey, which is pretty remarkable as there were some very dynamic arrangements in BW.

In some cases, there seem to be not just sections but almost movements, The Riff being the best example so far. But really: Gaucho, Mercy, If Only, and now The Riff...there's substance, not just filler solos and tacked-on solo sections.

Gah.
    Agreed, this album feels like it will have a great flow to it. Hopefully like Before These Crowded Streets where one song's intros and outros blended with the next. Should set up to be a great album.
    Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #102
    nancie#41

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by z28snksknr View Post
    I was in the pit for this song and it was friggin awesome - videos do not do it any justice, but I'm thankful for you guys that posted them.

Its one of those songs that seems so familiar the first time you hear it - like the melodies are effortless to open up to - hard to explain. All I know is that I couldn't wait to hear it again and its going to be an insane listen on the studio cut - guaranteed!

There is that one little awkward part ~4:40. I hope they get that ironed out because it seems like they stutter a bit trying to make that transition to Tim's solo. When the rest of the song is so awesome, it stands out a bit. That's not me being "negative ant", that's just my opinion.
    Exactly my thoughts last night. It's the first time ive ever heard a "new song" and came away thinking that it was the highlight of the show.
    nancie#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #103
    soccer41

Shows Seen: 43

My Tour Central Stats

just got back from work... no Mp3s of tapes yet? havent backread!
    soccer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #104
    Mattardz

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soccer41 View Post
    just got back from work... no Mp3s of tapes yet? havent backread!
    nope, last nights tapes aren't out yet. shouldn't be too long though
    Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #105
    Alexzandraeva

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

love this verse:

I’ve got a minute or two to spare
    And I’ve got a whole fucking life to fit in there
    So why waste time staring at a TV set
    Like I got dreams to kill and people to forget
    Alexzandraeva is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #106
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    More than most, you really are hopeless.

And I always find it funny how most people post their positive comments once, while a very few negative people post, re-post, and re-post again the same bullshit in as many threads a possible, looking for someone to listen to them.

We don't care that you dislike everything. Good night.

Here is The Riff, in HD: http://youtu.be/41l79Et_7u8
    Look I'm sorry the fact that I saw the song in person and was not impressed bothers you so much but I don't hate everything. People like you are such a joke and are why DMBc is unbearable. I'm not listening to it again until the album though because everything I hear makes me less excited for this album that I was once really pumped up about. And when I give my thoughts on here it tends to make people like you go crazy. So for your sake I am going to hold off until the album and pray the next 5 songs or so are amazing. You are very welcome.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #107
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Look I'm sorry the fact that I saw the song in person and was not impressed bothers you so much but I don't hate everything. People like you are such a joke and are why DMBc is unbearable. I'm not listening to it again until the album though because everything I hear makes me less excited for this album that I was once really pumped up about. And when I give my thoughts on here it tends to make people like you go crazy. So for your sake I am going to hold off until the album and pray the next 5 songs or so are amazing. You are very welcome.
    Couldn't disagree more, I think this song is the total package.

This song gets an A in every category.

Lyrics = A
    Melody = A
    Song Structure = A
    Jamability = A
    Incorporation of Entire Band = A
    Great Song = A

What would you rank it in these catagories and give me the explanations why?
    Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #108
    Julia Roberts
    Pretty Woman

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I know comedy when I see it and that right there is funny.

"Count down the time that you have left,
    In a jar try to catch try to capture it"
    Julia Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #109
    Mattardz

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hsC7Iy_QM

Riff from upper pav. Posted just because.
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #110
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Don't know how I feel about this yet. Which can be a good thing for me. Some songs are like Grey Street and knock me on my ass the first time I hear it. Some songs are like Sugar Will and takes me a lot of listening to like and appreciate what I'm hearing. I like the lyrics for sure. My biggest thing is the guitar solo. I think the song had me up until then. Someone else said it would make for a good Boyd solo and I agree completely. The second Tim amped up I thought, crap, I could hear a sick Boyd solo here.

Another thing though...I feel as though some people are "loving" some of these songs for the sheer fact that Lillywhite was involved. I think, so far, these songs are about on par with Big Whiskey and in a year or two everyone will be bitching about them. People seem to forget that A LOT of people thought Big Whiskey was the bands come back and some even called it Big 4 material. Not saying I hate the new stuff, just an observation. I truly believe if Lillywhite were behind Everyday everyone would have loved it and called it genius. "Lillywhite got them to try something new. He's the greatest". He might be, but the band has to write the songs, not him.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #111
    yanks7533

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Don't know how I feel about this yet. Which can be a good thing for me. Some songs are like Grey Street and knock me on my ass the first time I hear it. Some songs are like Sugar Will and takes me a lot of listening to like and appreciate what I'm hearing. I like the lyrics for sure. My biggest thing is the guitar solo. I think the song had me up until then. Someone else said it would make for a good Boyd solo and I agree completely. The second Tim amped up I thought, crap, I could hear a sick Boyd solo here.

Another thing though...I feel as though some people are "loving" some of these songs for the sheer fact that Lillywhite was involved. I think, so far, these songs are about on par with Big Whiskey and in a year or two everyone will be bitching about them. People seem to forget that A LOT of people thought Big Whiskey was the bands come back and some even called it Big 4 material. Not saying I hate the new stuff, just an observation. I truly believe if Lillywhite were behind Everyday everyone would have loved it and called it genius. "Lillywhite got them to try something new. He's the greatest". He might be, but the band has to write the songs, not him.
    I think one of the interesting things so far is the diverse reactions to everything, like i love gaucho and think musically its great...now the riff comes along and i am really feeling there's attention to the music, not just the production, but the riff is a pretty phenomenal song musically...we had that with big whiskey, songs like shake me and seven are phenomenal musically but their lyrics were turds

I def feel these songs are well thought out and more mature, even mercy, seems like a simple song, but lyrically and melodically its great, dave's vocals are great...now granted theres 6 songs to go that will tip the album from what we have right now which is nothing crazy but good to possibly big 4 or possibly disappointment....that clip of drunken soldier sure as hell has me excited

the riff musically is what i was hoping from dmb, gaucho was the return to writing great riffs and the jam at the end (with or without the kids) was def a band showing off their chops a bit....now the riff is a song where attention was paid to every aspect of the song, the timing is ridiculous, carter has a difficult job, the songs dynamic, the chorus is catchy and melodic but the lyrics are deep... I don't think the band has written a song of this quality musically since you never know
    yanks7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #112
    brotherchaos41

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

In my opinion, Mercy and If Only are only ok songs (Mercy studio >> Mercy live = boring). Gaucho is pretty good.

The Riff is awesome.

Last edited by brotherchaos41; 06-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    brotherchaos41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #113

My Tour Central Stats

I don't post much.

I've had the pleasure of seeing this band consistantly since 1993.

I was kinda on the fence on the new songs, but The Riff - man that is really good stuff. I'm sure most will disagree, but as a guy who plays guitar of many different artists - this a cool song.

Oh well jmo.

I like it.

Yes.
    #36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #114
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks7533 View Post

the riff musically is what i was hoping from dmb, gaucho was the return to writing great riffs and the jam at the end (with or without the kids) was def a band showing off their chops a bit....now the riff is a song where attention was paid to every aspect of the song, the timing is ridiculous, carter has a difficult job, the songs dynamic, the chorus is catchy and melodic but the lyrics are deep... I don't think the band has written a song of this quality musically since you never know
    I think I'm right there with you on just about everything you said.
    Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #115
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Lyrics = A-
    Melody = A-
    Song Structure = A
    Jamability = A
    Incorporation of Entire Band = A
    Great Song = A
    Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #116

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    I think I'm right there with you on just about everything you said.
    Same here. Really liking where this is going. Also loved the intro to drunk in sailors.
    #36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #117
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Last night's show is now up on dreamingtree.org
    luke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #118
    slyguy12
    Shake up your bones

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I think they mighta fuckin' did it.
    Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #119
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Copperpot multicam vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv90h...1&feature=plcp
    luke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #120
    crawfish

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

There are parts to this song that I can't stop listening to and have me hooked. Then there are parts that I have to skip over. What a strange song.
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote