Drunken Soldier - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #121
TrippinNancies1
Slippin slow away...

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Drunken Soldier

The beginning of the outro definitely sounds like a mix of Breathe/ The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #122
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

"Make the most of what you've got" = "Make the best of what's around"???
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #123
    moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 View Post
    The beginning of the outro definitely sounds like a mix of Breathe/ The Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd.
    yup, timmy's guitar part sounds kind of like Breathe
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #124
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

best studio track the band has ever done.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #125
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    negative, it's obviously a shot at Phillip Phillips
    Actually, this is true.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #126
    TablesTurnAgain

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 View Post
    Has the Beginning of the Outro been discussed? It reminds me of Us and Them by Pink Floyd a bit.
    For a second I thought it was turning into a cover song. Fortunately I love The Dark Side of the Moon so this works for me.

Love all the background sounds added in, reminds me of BTCS with all the hidden sounds/conversations. Definitely a better mixed album than Big Whiskey
    TablesTurnAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #127
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

So so far, what I've gotten from this, is that people seem to think all Pink Floyd songs sound the same. "It sounds like Breathe. It sounds like Us & Them. It sounds like Great Gig in the Sky. It sounds like Dog. It sounds like Time. It sounds like..."
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #128
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadrophenia92 View Post
    I don't understand Jake, pretty sure they could nail this thing live
    Don't listen to a word he says. He also thought LITHOG would never be played live.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #129
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    So so far, what I've gotten from this, is that people seem to think all Pink Floyd songs sound the same. "It sounds like Breathe. It sounds like Us & Them. It sounds like Great Gig in the Sky. It sounds like Dog. It sounds like Time. It sounds like..."
    That's because they do.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #130
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well four out of the five you mentioned are from an album that repeatedly explores the same musical themes and chords so yeah, most of DSOTM sounds alike. I'd say this outro sounds more like those songs than say something like Careful with that Axe Eugene but most floyd does sound pretty similar.
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #131
    dwill26
    Fonz is a d-bag

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    Don't listen to a word he says.
    True words my friend. True words.
    dwill26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #132
    Viper21

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

the more i listen to this.. the more i fall in love

boyds solo is one of the greatest moments of his life
    Viper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #133
    stoneje
    EADGBe

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianremy View Post
    Kit Kat Jam
    Right, good one. The early lyrics are about cookies, but not Kit Kat bars.
    stoneje is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #134
    Othello-5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Intro to the main song is reminiscient of the intro to Dogs, outro chord structure is the same as Breathe, bending guitar noises in the outro are reminiscient of GGitS.

A lot of Dark Side of the Moon was musically connected, which probably is fueling this part of the discussion.
    Othello-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #135
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    I'll take a stab at this:

Drunken Soldier = Wasting time trying to be something you're not.

Nobody wants to be a soldier (interesting tie in to LITHOG), whether it's in a literal sense or otherwise, but it's pretty easy to be brainwashed by an imaginary obligation - such as going to war - which I believe Dave asserts is tantamount to being drunk on whatever BS is being fed to you; I think this is a similar notion to what John Butler means in "Used to Get High". Based on what we know about Dave and his lyrical stylings, I think that he has crafted the title to be almost redundant in that a soldier is already drunk by definition.

You can't ignore the overt reference to war, as Dave has not made it a mystery that he is emphatically against it (also referenced in the album opener), but just like Gaucho, he is making a broader statement on humanity and believing in one's self - a message that is surely meant for his children and generations to come. Whether you agree with him or not, at least this theme is consistent.

Just my 2 dollar bill
    this is the dumbest and most disrespectful post i have ever read on this site. you have got to be fucking kidding me with this shit. who the fuck raised you?

Plenty of people are against the idea of war. But i have never met anyone against the soldiers that go to war, including Dave, if youve ever listened to Live at Radio City. I am so disgusted by this post. "imaginary obligation".......both my grandpa and grandma fought in the korean war and my other grandfather fought in the vietnam war and lost his eye, and was treated like shit by people like you when he came back. fought with people that give their life so you can post bullshit like this on an internet forum without repercussions.

Last edited by JunkBondTrader; 09-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #136
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

i read your second response. but still man, i cant imagine writing something like that to begin with and have it not cross my mind that i am coming off extremely disrespectful towards the people that give their life for this country.

sorry if im all hot and bothered but when it comes to people fighting for this country i am all about giving them every ounce of respect they deserve. thats all.
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #137
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

The most underrated part of this song is easily Dave's vocal melody. It's actually one of my favorite melodies on the album
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #138
    jas230314

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    The Riff actually has some meaning I believe. Song is about his wife and I believe she is The Riff. Think about the lyrics in terms of that. To Dave, Ashley is The Riff of his life, it's constant, but it doesn't have stay the same. Riffs evolve over time.
    Riff = a series of notes you play on a guitar.

Rift = a divide

The Riff is named after it's relatively complex guitar riff.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #139
    daveandbela

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

something about the horns on this song remind me of the Three Amigos.....that being said...I love this song, and this whole album
    daveandbela is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #140
    jas230314

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post
    i read your second response. but still man, i cant imagine writing something like that to begin with and have it not cross my mind that i am coming off extremely disrespectful towards the people that give their life for this country.

sorry if im all hot and bothered but when it comes to people fighting for this country i am all about giving them every ounce of respect they deserve. thats all.
    Take it easy on that guy, he made a stab at the title, and apologized for coming off as disrespectful.

I think if anything, the title is an oxymoron in a way. Soldiers are viewed as the most pristine, well behaved, and Drunks are the opposite of that. Yet, 1/6 of the homeless population are veterans... making the idea of a drunken soldier a sad reality. I find it to be a cool name, and I doubt we'll be able to guess it's meaning too accurately without more information from the band.

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #141
    daveandbela

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    Love the tune. However....can someone explain the meaning of tying "be your best and not try to be somethin you're not" with "that's not a star, that's a satellite" at the end? Any information or thought would be appreciated!

Amazing tune!
    Part of me wonders if he is also referencing the song "Satellite"?

I read or heard somewhere someone told Dave in his early days that Satellite was perfect as is, didn't need to really add any flash....being that it became one his first singles and was so wildly successful, despite such a simple song formed from a guitar exercise, I would say this is a reference of Dave simply being himself in his song writing and not trying to be a star, or be someone else.....and look where it took him.
    daveandbela is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #142
    CapnHani06
    Go Hoos

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    Yikes...thanks for the input, but this was in no way an attack on soldiers - I really didn't mean to give anyone that impression. I have lots of family who have served and have tremendous respect for them; I apologize to anyone offended by my assumptions on where Dave's head was at.

In this light, I may have been off-base with assuming that he meant that the title was redundant...maybe "drunken" is a necessary qualifier, almost a juxtaposition, to say that while being a soldier may be a noble cause, your views become a bit skewed when drunken.

I really wasn't trying to be as inflammatory as this was interpreted, sorry about that.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post

Man, I am so sorry - I really hadn't intended this to be an affront against the men and women who serve our country, and I completely identify with your frustration. As I said before, and I appreciate your reference to my second post, I have tremendous respect for the military and I would absolutely not intentionally say anything to disrespect anyone who serves.

In my defense, though, I offer a few counterpoints:

The post had very little to do with actual soldiers and I am frustrated that it was interpreted as such - respectfully, you're acting as though I went on an ignorant tirade throwing f-bombs left and right directed at our military. In reality, your criticism is in response to two sentences in which I was speculating as to what Dave meant when he wrote the lyrics as they related to the title and the overall theme of the album - not offering my own opinion.

But while I recognize that it's a very sensitive topic, and further that it was conveyed particularly poorly, I am honestly a little disappointed that these responses have been so American-centric; a soldier is a soldier anywhere, and not all wars are noble causes. So to be attacked as though I am ignorant and unpatriotic regarding a few analytic musings at noon on a Wednesday really has me frustrated and frankly almost offended. I have never offered a single inflammatory opinion on this site in my sixish years here, and while that by no means suggests that I am incapable of it, I wish that people would do a little research before they fly off the handle. I understand that an offensive statement is an offensive statement, but I would appreciate a little bit more of an open mind next time you decide to pull a few sentences and decide that it's indicative of my character and integrity.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or patronizing, but I am actually pretty upset by the responses to my post and your comments really struck me. I do truly apologize for making any statements that seemed insensitive or tasteless, but it was not my intention and I have nothing but respect for our troops. Thanks for reading.
    - Sean

Last edited by CapnHani06; 09-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #143
    HAWNEY HAWNEY
    Constructive Summer

My Tour Central Stats

To be honest, I was expecting this song to be a disappointment, considering the pre-album hype and the comparisons to Floyd (I don't like Floyd). I thought it would sound like DMB forced a 10-minute song just to have one.

Color me pleasantly surprised. It works.
    HAWNEY HAWNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #144
    CapnHani06
    Go Hoos

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post
    Take it easy on that guy, he made a stab at the title, and apologized for coming off as disrespectful.

I think if anything, the title is an oxymoron in a way. Soldiers are viewed as the most pristine, well behaved, and Drunks are the opposite of that. Yet, 1/6 of the homeless population are veterans... making the idea of a drunken soldier a sad reality. I find it to be a cool name, and I doubt we'll be able to guess it's meaning too accurately without more information from the band.
    I appreciate the support, man. It was a fairly short-sighted statement, in retrospect, but I've just been floored by the responses. I can't say that anyone is wrong for responding the way they have, it was just unexpected and took me aback.

Regarding your analysis, though, I agree - frustrating as that reality is I do think that was part of what Dave was going for. I'm sure we will get some goofily confusing explanation from him in the coming weeks, though, and the title could turn out to be as annoyingly arbitrary as #41 or The Riff
    - Sean
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #145
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

He was probably just watching The Last Detail when he wrote it.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #146
    CapnHani06
    Go Hoos

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoGangnamStylefan View Post
    He was probably just watching The Last Detail when he wrote it.
    Great reference, as always

But no, it was actually this: http://tinyurl.com/9oy24gy
    - Sean
    Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #147
    LMB1031
    Celebrate we will...

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone able to break down what Carter is saying in the beginning?
    LMB1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #148
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 View Post
    Has the Beginning of the Outro been discussed? It reminds me of Us and Them by Pink Floyd a bit.
    Yes this has been discussed. It's related to Breathe (which the riff repeats throughout DSOTM), and when the beginning of the outro starts, it most resembles the beginning of the Great Gig in the Sky.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #149
    Miller9

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Everyone freaking out about the similarities to Pink Floyd, its meant to be that way. if anyone can recall in an interview with Tim, he described the writing process on how Lillywhite told him not WHAT he should be playing, but how to play it. and he would reference guitarists for example to "play some David Gilmore" (aka Drunk Soldier). so yes it does sound like Pink Floyd, that is the point ladies and gentlemen
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #150
    elmachobaracho

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveandbela View Post
    Part of me wonders if he is also referencing the song "Satellite"?

I read or heard somewhere someone told Dave in his early days that Satellite was perfect as is, didn't need to really add any flash....being that it became one his first singles and was so wildly successful, despite such a simple song formed from a guitar exercise, I would say this is a reference of Dave simply being himself in his song writing and not trying to be a star, or be someone else.....and look where it took him.
    I don't know if its a reference to the song Satellite, but this song would make a great segue to "Satellite" (without its intro). That's not a star, its a....
    Satellite, in my eyes, like a diamond in the skies.
    Got me thinking if any other songs start and/or end with a common theme (monkeys, rain, devil, sex, etc.). Haven't come up with any others yet.
    elmachobaracho is offline   Reply With Quote