***Official Rank the AFTW Songs Thread*** - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #121
jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Rank the AFTW Songs Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
September 4, 2012

Broken Things
The Riff
Drunken Soldier
Snow Outside
Gaucho
Rooftop
If Only
Mercy
Belly Belly Nice
Belly Full
Sweet
Now:

The Riff (+1)
Drunken Soldier (+1)
Broken Things (-2)
Snow Outside (0)
Gaucho (0)
Belly Belly Nice (+3)
Mercy (+1)
Rooftop (-2)
If Only (-2)
Belly Full (0)
Sweet (0)

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #122
    Skittles72

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

The Riff
    Drunken Soldier
    Sweet
    If Only
    Broken Things
    Belly Belly Nice
    Mercy
    Gaucho
    Rooftop
    Belly Full
    Snow Outside
    Skittles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #123
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside last, really?
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #124
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Tough even after a week+ of listening as I like all the songs--yet there are few that really stand out for me. But taking a stab at it anyway.

Broken Things
    The Riff
    Snow Outside
    Drunken Soldier
    Sweet
    Rooftop
    Mercy
    Gaucho
    If Only
    Belly Belly Nice
    Belly Full
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #125
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Belly Belly Nice
    Sweet
    Drunken Soldier
    If Only
    The Riff
    Broken Things
    Mercy
    Gaucho
    Belly Full
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #126
    thatguy27

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Drunken Soldier
    Belly Belly Nice
    The Riff
    Gaucho
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Broken Things
    Sweet
    If Only
    Mercy
    Belly Full
    thatguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #127
    EpE34

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

early impressions:

1. Drunken Soldier
    2. Snow Outside
    3. The Riff
    4. BBN
    5. If Only
    6. Mercy
    7. Gaucho
    8. Broken Things
    9. Belly Full
    10. Rooftop

11. Sweet
    EpE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #128
    Yield151

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Drunken Soldier
    Snow Outside

The Riff
    Broken Things
    If Only

Sweet
    Mercy
    Belly Belly Nice

Gaucho
    Belly Full

Rooftop
    Yield151 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #129
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yield151 View Post
    Drunken Soldier
    Snow Outside

The Riff
    Broken Things
    If Only

Sweet
    Mercy
    Belly Belly Nice

Gaucho
    Belly Full

Rooftop
    I Pretty much agree with these song groupings although I would move belly full up one notch and lump Gaucho with Rooftop as the two worst.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #130
    CoolHandLuke

My Tour Central Stats

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Here’s how I’d rank them:

1) Snow Outside
    2) Drunken Soldier

3) Broken Things
    4) Rooftop

5) The Riff
    6) Mercy
    7) Gaucho
    8) Sweet

9) Belly Full
    10) Belly Belly Nice
    11) If Only

A few points I’d make:

1) I don’t care for If Only, but my girlfriend – a big DMB fan, but for incredibly different reasons – loves it. Her favorite song’s Grey Street, and she loves stuff like You and Me that most of the people on this board, myself included, skip on albums and use for bathroom breaks live. Point is, it’s a song that’s going to appeal a lot more to some newer fans, or those who like DMB’s more radio-friendly stuff. I can’t fault them too much for that, even though I’ll probably be skipping it myself.

2) There are so many songs where it feels like they’re really close, but can’t quite get there. Rooftop is a solid example. It’s got a great bridge, the verses are neat, but that chorus is a total momentum-killer. I get what they were going for with it, but to me, it doesn’t work – but the potential was there. Another good example might be Gaucho. Some neat ideas there, but that chorus, and a children’s choir? Ugh.

3) There’s the three-song run of Mercy, Gaucho and Sweet. On their own, I don’t care for any of those songs. But on the album, there’s something about how they run together that really flows for me, and makes each of them quite a bit easier to stomach. That’s probably why I’ve got them grouped together the way I do.

4) Some of the lyrics are really mediocre. The “Jack and Jill” bit in Belly Belly Nice is obnoxious. The “change the game” phrase in The Riff strikes me as a lazy bit of writing in an otherwise decent song. “Oh, my love, my heart is set on you, set on you” in Broken Things doesn’t do it for me. Again, it’s just mediocre – there’s nothing unique or interesting to it, and that’s why it falls short of what I’ve come to expect from this band.

Overall, I would just say, it’s great to cross paths with the work of an artist that really speaks to you. That, though, doesn’t mean that you and the artist are living life on the same parallel path. This album doesn’t do for me anything close to what the Big Three did. That said, I still enjoy it. I’m going to keep listening – at least for a little while longer. I’ll be eager to see how some of these songs develop live. Over time, I hope I’ll come to love some of them. Until then, I’ll give this a few more listens – and then I’ll turn on something like Live at Red Rocks ’95.
    CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #131
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

1) Snow Outside
    2) Drunken Soldier

3) Broken Things
    4) Rooftop

5) The Riff
    6) Mercy
    7) Gaucho
    8) Sweet

9) Belly Full
    10) Belly Belly Nice
    11) If Only

A few points I’d make:

1) I don’t care for If Only, but my girlfriend – a big DMB fan, but for incredibly different reasons – loves it. Her favorite song’s Grey Street, and she loves stuff like You and Me that most of the people on this board, myself included, skip on albums and use for bathroom breaks live. Point is, it’s a song that’s going to appeal a lot more to some newer fans, or those who like DMB’s more radio-friendly stuff. I can’t fault them too much for that, even though I’ll probably be skipping it myself.

2) There are so many songs where it feels like they’re really close, but can’t quite get there. Rooftop is a solid example. It’s got a great bridge, the verses are neat, but that chorus is a total momentum-killer. I get what they were going for with it, but to me, it doesn’t work – but the potential was there. Another good example might be Gaucho. Some neat ideas there, but that chorus, and a children’s choir? Ugh.

3) There’s the three-song run of Mercy, Gaucho and Sweet. On their own, I don’t care for any of those songs. But on the album, there’s something about how they run together that really flows for me, and makes each of them quite a bit easier to stomach. That’s probably why I’ve got them grouped together the way I do.

4) Some of the lyrics are really mediocre. The “Jack and Jill” bit in Belly Belly Nice is obnoxious. The “change the game” phrase in The Riff strikes me as a lazy bit of writing in an otherwise decent song. “Oh, my love, my heart is set on you, set on you” in Broken Things doesn’t do it for me. Again, it’s just mediocre – there’s nothing unique or interesting to it, and that’s why it falls short of what I’ve come to expect from this band.

Overall, I would just say, it’s great to cross paths with the work of an artist that really speaks to you. That, though, doesn’t mean that you and the artist are living life on the same parallel path. This album doesn’t do for me anything close to what the Big Three did. That said, I still enjoy it. I’m going to keep listening – at least for a little while longer. I’ll be eager to see how some of these songs develop live. Over time, I hope I’ll come to love some of them. Until then, I’ll give this a few more listens – and then I’ll turn on something like Live at Red Rocks ’95.
    Awesome 1st post! I definitely agree with you on your 2nd point. Rooftop and Gaucho could have been the best songs on the album if the chorus lyrics were better. The music is there, but the chorus lyrics kill the songs, IMO.

Last edited by TheStone91; 09-14-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #132
    ldcunited5

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

1) Snow Outside
    2) Drunken Soldier

3) Broken Things
    4) Rooftop

5) The Riff
    6) Mercy
    7) Gaucho
    8) Sweet

9) Belly Full
    10) Belly Belly Nice
    11) If Only

A few points I’d make:

You really said a lot of things that I was thinking. Especially about Rooftop. The first listen through I was so excited because the beginning through the first verse reminded me of DIDO or at least something pre-Everyday. Then it just fell off. Snow Outside and Drunken Soldier are both good solid songs and I feel this whole album could have done with more work on the lyrics side. Musically, it's very strong, IMHO, and that'll do for me for now.

I can't rank them 1-11 just yet but I will group songs together in order of staying power for me

Snow Outside
    Drunken Soldier
    Rooftop
    Broken Things

Belly Songs
    Sweet
    Riff

Mercy
    If Only
    Gaucho

Aside from the kids part, Gaucho isn't a terrible song. This is almost like ranking BTCS for me and saying I would put DDTW or Stay last.
    ldcunited5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #133
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside
    Sweet
    Broken Things
    Drunken Soldier
    Belly Belly Nice
    Mercy
    Gaucho
    The Riff
    Rooftop
    If Only
    Belly Full

I enjoy them all though, love this album.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #134
    romanticlala
    la la la hey~!

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

My ranking is kinda cracked out. Just go with it. It has also been evolving the last couple days, so this may not hold up for long.

Gaucho (without lyrics)
    The Riff
    Drunken Soldier (until the outro)
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Broken Things
    Drunken Soldier (outro)
    Mercy
    Sweet
    Belly Belly Nice
    If Only*
    Gaucho (with lyrics)

The only thing I don't know where to put is Belly Full. I really and truly love that song but I can't rank it on this album because it sounds like it belongs on a Dave solo CD. I don't even know where to put it. To me it's like trying to rank an episode of "Parks and Recreation" in a list of "Breaking Bad" episodes -- both great, but for very different reasons. I just can't do it.

*I've heard a couple people say this has a Sugar Will vibe to it and I just don't get that at all.
    romanticlala is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #135
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by romanticlala View Post
    My ranking is kinda cracked out. Just go with it. It has also been evolving the last couple days, so this may not hold up for long.

Gaucho (without lyrics)
    The Riff
    Drunken Soldier (until the outro)
    Snow Outside
    Rooftop
    Broken Things
    Drunken Soldier (outro)
    Mercy
    Sweet
    Belly Belly Nice
    If Only*
    Gaucho (with lyrics)

The only thing I don't know where to put is Belly Full. I really and truly love that song but I can't rank it on this album because it sounds like it belongs on a Dave solo CD. I don't even know where to put it. To me it's like trying to rank an episode of "Parks and Recreation" in a list of "Breaking Bad" episodes -- both great, but for very different reasons. I just can't do it.

*I've heard a couple people say this has a Sugar Will vibe to it and I just don't get that at all.
    In terms of having a repetitive feel to it, I agree it is a lot like Sugar Will.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #136
    Zachman285

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Belly Belly Full (Brings me to another place... similar to Tripping Billies or Grey Street for me... Is it the most developed and intricate song on the album??? No, But it is the song that I enjoy the most on every listen.

Broken Things
    Snow Outside
    The Riff
    Drunken Soldier (these four would fit easily onto a 1990's album. Obviously the style is a little bit different now so they wouldn't exactly fit but it's been 10 years since I've thought wow... that song could have been on Crash or BTCS and I feel that way about these four songs. Lyrically The Riff is exceptional and I particularly love the style on Broken Things

Mercy
    Sweet (I absolutely love these two songs and I think it's great that I have songs I LOVE that I'm ranking in the middle of the album. I went back and listened to You and Me today and the difference between the emotion and musical creativity of the 2 AFTW songs and You and Me is night and day. Mercy could be this album's Crash into Me. Honestly if that song came out now I wouldn't LOVE it on the album but every time I listen to it it gets better and better

Belly Full (Just beautiful... obviously it's a tiny song so not going to be super highly ranked but I'm glad it's on the album)

Gaucho (I wonder if I would be higher on this song if I hadn't already listened to it 50+ times before getting the album)

If Only
    Rooftop (for me these two kind of miss the mark. I'm still going to give them a chance to grow on me but these two strike me more as Stand Up era songs (on album or around the release of the album). The are not terrible and I enjoy listening to them but I am not blown away by anything going on and I think they end up being more groove style rockish songs that don't inspire me to really listen. I hope they grow on me but I guess if that's the worst I can say about the album I really have nothing to complain about.

Hope you enjoyed the rankings!!!
    Zachman285 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #137
    Skittles72

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    Snow Outside last, really?
    Yeah...I don't know what it is. I've listened to it a handful of times now and I enjoy the music and the light "hey, hey, hey's" near the end parts of the song, but i'm not feeling the melody or dave's voice on this one. Might've preferred it as an instrumental?
    Skittles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #138
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside
    The Riff
    Drunken Soldier
    If Only
    Belly Belly Nice
    Sweet
    Gaucho
    Rooftop
    Broken Things
    Mercy
    Belly Full

this is kind of hard though, because they are all so good. I might´ve just as well rated these songs completely differently.
    Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #139
    neverwhatyouare
    DMB+SportsCenter=ME

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedFerg View Post
    1) Snow Outside
    2) Drunken Soldier
    3) Broken Things
    4) The Riff
    5) Rooftop

Easily the top 5 if you ask me
    My thoughts are similar but my top 5 goes like this:

1) The Riff
    2) Broken Things
    3) Rooftop (I cannot get over 2:27-2:57, seriously gives me chills and I wish the whole song was like that)
    4 )Drunken Soldier
    5) Snow Outside
    6) Goucho
    7) If Only
    8) Sweet
    9) Belly Belly Nice
    10) Mercy
    11) Belly Full
    Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #140
    riverbender41

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riverbender41 View Post
    Belly Belly- Just love this song. Im always a fan of the positive up beat songs
    Drunken Soldier- Lived up to the hype, only gonna get better live
    Snow Outside- Really Really liked this. everyones talking about boyd, but how about all the great riffs dave has on the album.
    The Riff- Loved it. The part at the end where it gets soft and then abruptly builds up again is amazing
    Broken Things- The lines where he says broken things have to be some of my favorite ever
    Rooftop- sounds like Fool to Think and I want you(shes so heavy) by the beatles had a baby to me
    Sweet- Made me like it even more on the album. Once you understand the song, thats when you love it.
    Gaucho- If i heard it today for the first time it would be higher
    Belly Full- Another Beatles Sound alike
    If Only-The chorus will always be stuck in my head
    Mercy- The fact that mercy is my least favorite shows how good the album is

not a song i dont like
    My original rankings after 1 listen.

My new rankings

Drunken Soldier+1
    Snow Outside+1
    Belly Belly Nice-2
    The Riff+0
    Broken Things+0
    Sweet+1
    Gaucho+1
    Rooftop-2
    If Only+1
    Belly Full-1
    Mercy+0

Not much difference. Still absolutely love every song on the album

my mind is blown
    riverbender41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #141
    Col19

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside
    The Riff
    Drunken Soldier
    Broken Things

Gaucho
    Sweet
    Mercy
    Belly Belly Nice

If Only
    Rooftop
    Belly Full
    Col19 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #142
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Snow Outside
    Broken Things
    Belly Belly Nice
    Drunken Soldier
    The Riff
    Mercy
    Rooftop
    Gaucho
    If Only
    Sweet
    Belly Full

Gaucho/If Only/Sweet/Belly Full being last does not mean I don't love them. They are awesome songs. Honestly, if they played the whole album in one concert I wouldn't have a complaint. Snow Outside and Broken Things keep changing as my favorite song off the album.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #143
    MarvinBerry

My Tour Central Stats

This is the polarizing album in DMB history. Insanely differing opinions on almost every song..
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #144
    DMBluedevils

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarvinBerry View Post
    This is the polarizing album in DMB history. Insanely differing opinions on almost every song..
    Just thinking the same thing after reading some of these rankings/reviews. Almost every single person has a different opinion on each song.
    DMBluedevils is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #145
    MarvinBerry

My Tour Central Stats

Exactly. WithBig whiskey you basically had everyone liking lithog, squirm, shake me, why I am and baby blue. They disliked dive in and you and me and thought the other songs were just ok.
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #146
    pshaw92

My Tour Central Stats

Thumbs up Re: ***Official Rank the AFTW Songs Thread***

Drunken Soldier
    Belly Belly Nice
    The Riff
    Gaucho
    Rooftop
    Snow Outside
    Broken Things
    If Only
    Belly Full
    Sweet
    Mercy

pshaw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #147
    JMcCartyFBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

On day one:
    ---Awesome---
    01. Rooftop
    02. Drunken Soldier
    03. Belly Belly Nice
    ---Good---
    04. Gaucho
    05. Snow Outside
    ---Okay---
    06. If Only
    07. Broken Things
    08. Belly Full
    ---Bad---
    09. Mercy
    10. The Riff
    ---Terrible---
    11. Sweet

Today:
    ---Awesome---
    01. Drunken Soldier (+1)
    02. Rooftop (-1)
    03. Belly Belly Nice (no change)
    04. Snow Outside (+1, up to awesome)
    ---Good---
    05. The Riff (+5, up to good)
    06. Gaucho (-2)
    07. If Only (-1, up to good)
    08. Broken Things (-1, up to good)
    ---Okay---
    09. Belly Full (-1)
    ---Bad---
    10. Mercy (-1)
    ---Terrible---
    11. Sweet (no change)

"I could care less" - meaning that you do care about the topic to some degree
    "I couldn't care less" - meaning you don't care at all
    JMcCartyFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #148
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

After about 10 listens:

1) Belly Belly Nice
    2) The Riff
    3) Mercy
    4) Broken Things
    5) Drunken Soldier
    6) Snow Outside

The rest all suck, but Sweet is definitely at the bottom and probably the worst song ever released on a DMB album
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #149
    genesissccr22
    holy hotdogs batman

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

after many listens now:
    Snow Outside
    Mercy
    Broken Things