Big 4? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Big 4?
Yes -- Big 4 --BTCS, Crash, UTTAD, AFTW 156 41.16%
No -- Big 3 always and forever 186 49.08%
No -- Big 5 -- BW was 4, AFTW is 5 23 6.07%
Yes -- Big 4 -- BTCS, Crash, UTTAD, BWGGK 14 3.69%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
I'mOnGreyStreet

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Big 4?

tLWS is a part of the Big 4 in my opinion. Pretty sure everyone loved BW immediately after the release as well, and it had absolutely no staying power. Not to say that this isn't good. I'd easily put it ahead of BW, SU, and Everyday. But it's not in the class of the Big 4. Close, but not quite. Songs like Gaucho, Sweet, and If Only drag it out of consideration. Not terrible songs, but even the "weak" songs from the Big 4 are amazing.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #32
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I remember many people saying that with BW it was a Big 4.....we see how that turned out.

It is too soon but I'm going to say in the long run the consensus will definitely be no. Lyrically most of the songs just aren't there (except for ones like Snow Outside, Drunken Soldier). Also there are just too many middle of the road songs: Belly Full, Mercy and some will argue Sweet, Gaucho and If Only.

Still a very good album, but the Big 3 is intact for now.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #33
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

these are the kind of polls i fucking hate. this is what always starts the snowball effect of hate for a record. people deeming it a big 4 then someone who disagrees overstating that the album isnt even that good blah blah blah. before you know it everyone is talking shit to each other and about the record.

can we let this sit for like 4 years or so. IMO we still cant even make a determination on how BW fits into the DMB canon. Until BW is put on the back burner as far as touring goes no one on this site can really appreciate it.

This album wont be ready for a true answer until they are on touring in support for their next record. TIME people. TIME is your friend.
    Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    I often wondered why we didn't already consider it a big 4. It is not like tLWS were a secret or heard by only a few. We all know how great it is. It is essentially a complete album. I would agree with this statement.

even the band and lillywhite refer to that 4th studio session as the lillywhite sessions. and its not like its an early demo. most of the songs are complete or close to it. busted stuff is more of a re-release than anything. that makes the big 4, imo.

AFTW, has the chance to become big 5, but time needs to age this album before that is determined.
    Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #35
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post
    these are the kind of polls i fucking hate. this is what always starts the snowball effect of hate for a record. people deeming it a big 4 then someone who disagrees overstating that the album isnt even that good blah blah blah. before you know it everyone is talking shit to each other and about the record.

can we let this sit for like 4 years or so. IMO we still cant even make a determination on how BW fits into the DMB canon. Until BW is put on the back burner as far as touring goes no one on this site can really appreciate it.

This album wont be ready for a true answer until they are on touring in support for their next record. TIME people. TIME is your friend.
    Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

My take: Who cares. It's fun to listen to.
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
    BIG Eyed <><
    Rick

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Busted Stuff is closer to Big 4 than AFTW or BW.
    BIG Eyed <>< is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

BTCS
    UTTAD
    BS
    Crash
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #39
    BIG Eyed <><
    Rick

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    BTCS
    UTTAD
    BS
    Crash
    An interesting, but not unobjectionable idea. I'll consider arguments.
    BIG Eyed <>< is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
    Horrible poll options. Where's "big 3 now, maybe one day big 4"
    This
    Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #41
    Silverman1
    Mr. Walking Man

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Until the lyrics get back to where they were, being creative with Dave "showing" the listener instead of "telling" every message he's trying to convey, there will be no big 4.
    100% agreed.
    Silverman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #42
    dmb27364041
    Since '99

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    This album is definitely better than Busted Stuff. Big 5 it is.

BTCS
    Crash
    UTTAD
    tLWS
    AFTW
    This is the correct answer.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #43
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I look at it this way. There was a big 3. UTTAD, Crash, BTCS. That was a different time and a different sound. DMB has matured and change and new music can't be grouped with that because of the new lineup, the new sound, etc. I think AFTW is a step in the right direction and could be part of a new Big 3 if they stick with Lillywhite and keep dropping albums, but I don't think it's realistic to continue to compare new contributions to the work of the past, it's a different time and a different direction for the band and it's members.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
    michaelbobbish

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

please take a screen shot of your results and put it somewhere in the cloud (dropbox, google drive) and ensure that it can be accessed in 4 years..

ALBUM IS NOT BIG 3 MATERIAL!!
    michaelbobbish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #45
    trippingbillie4

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

It's way too early. I want to see how these songs age with time but I'm almost positive we have a Big 4. AFTW might be the weakest in that family but it's still in that family.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #46
    mythicalmoose
    Adorers came in hordes

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

To me, the term "Big 3" is more of a reference to a time when the band was starting out and building up to what would eventually become an internationally known phenomenon, releasing great albums, each better than the last, rather than a reference to their three best albums, which is something completely subjective. Therefore, only three albums, in my opinion, could arguably be put into "Big 4," solely based on chronological reasons: R2T, LWS, and Everyday.

R2T usually falls short because it is not a completely studio album and shares tracks with UTTAD and Crash. If any album were to be added to the Big 4, this would get my vote because it fits perfectly into their rise, but I know it wouldn't get accepted as such.

LWS wouldn't work because it wasn't officially released and most of the songs were incomplete. I know most people like this 'album' better than Busted Stuff, but it is the obvious standout among the other three albums.

Everyday is not nearly good enough to be part of the Big 4. To me, this is when they started a bit of a decline.

Therefore, I don't think any future album, including AFTW, could be part of the Big 4 or whatever, despite their quality. Someone suggested there being a "new big 3," which I find a little intriguing, especially if they keep Lillywhite for a couple more albums. That is something I think people could get behind.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as "my big 3," there is only "the big 3." Every fan knows what you mean when you use that term. You can have "my three most favorite albums," but regardless, there is only one "big 3." You'd get some funny looks if you started referring to the "big 4" or "big 5" or whatever some of you guys are suggesting. No one would be quite sure what that fourth or fifth album would be. Big 3 is simply an easy way of referring to their first 3 albums.

Click here to make all of your dreams come true
    mythicalmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #47
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mythicalmoose View Post
    To me, the term "Big 3" is more of a reference to a time when the band was starting out and building up to what would eventually become an internationally known phenomenon, releasing great albums, each better than the last, rather than a reference to their three best albums, which is something completely subjective. Therefore, only three albums, in my opinion, could arguably be put into "Big 4," solely based on chronological reasons: R2T, LWS, and Everyday.

R2T usually falls short because it is not a completely studio album and shares tracks with UTTAD and Crash. If any album were to be added to the Big 4, this would get my vote because it fits perfectly into their rise, but I know it wouldn't get accepted as such.

LWS wouldn't work because it wasn't officially released and most of the songs were incomplete. I know most people like this 'album' better than Busted Stuff, but it is the obvious standout among the other three albums.

Everyday is not nearly good enough to be part of the Big 4. To me, this is when they started a bit of a decline.

Therefore, I don't think any future album, including AFTW, could be part of the Big 4 or whatever, despite their quality. Someone suggested there being a "new big 3," which I find a little intriguing, especially if they keep Lillywhite for a couple more albums. That is something I think people could get behind.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as "my big 3," there is only "the big 3." Every fan knows what you mean when you use that term. You can have "my three most favorite albums," but regardless, there is only one "big 3." You'd get some funny looks if you started referring to the "big 4" or "big 5" or whatever some of you guys are suggesting. No one would be quite sure what that fourth or fifth album would be. Big 3 is simply an easy way of referring to their first 3 albums.
    That was what I was saying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I look at it this way. There was a big 3. UTTAD, Crash, BTCS. That was a different time and a different sound. DMB has matured and change and new music can't be grouped with that because of the new lineup, the new sound, etc. I think AFTW is a step in the right direction and could be part of a new Big 3 if they stick with Lillywhite and keep dropping albums, but I don't think it's realistic to continue to compare new contributions to the work of the past, it's a different time and a different direction for the band and it's members.
    I think the Big 3 was a thing of the past, and not something we should continue to compare to. That was a very different DMB at a different time in their lives. This is a new era, and I think a great new start. If they continue to work with Lillywhite and (God can only hope) release 2 more albums, we could look at it differently, but I think always trying to find "the next album for the Big 4" is like always looking for "the next Lost". It just isn't gonna happen, but that's okay.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #48
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

No. Way too big a dropoff from BTCS (probably my third favorite, but UTTAD and it are 2a and 2b) to AFTW.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #49
    typsitch
    eyes don't lie to you

My Tour Central Stats

61% of people lost their minds it seems
    typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #50
    mr_potown

My Tour Central Stats

I remember before there was a big 3 everyone complained with each release of didn't measure up to r2t. Now r2t gets no respect. I feel old.
    mr_potown is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #51
    robin927

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    No, but it's close.

Big 3 > Busted Stuff > AFTW > Everyday/BW >>> Stand Up

robin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #52
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    BTCS
    UTTAD
    BS
    Crash
    Busted Stuff better than Crash????? The fuck outta here
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #53
    DaWarehouse418
    Me on the Wii!

Shows Seen: 155

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Big 4, but not b/c of AFTW...b/c of Busted Stuff.
    DaWarehouse418 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #54
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

there will never ever be a Big 4. ever,

doesnt matter if they release another amazing record (and i love this record). Big 3 is the Big 3. thats how it will always be. blame it on you guys, the fans. for real though, its been engrained into the dna of the fanbase....this idea of a big 3. it will never be possible to just change that to a big 4. wont happen. it will always be the big 3 and then a handful of other really good/great records from here on out. so we can just stop beating this dead horse.
    Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
    jakesomedevil41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i don't know. i think it's best to decide before the album is even officially released.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #56
    jakesomedevil41

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    there will never ever be a Big 4. ever,

doesnt matter if they release another amazing record (and i love this record). Big 3 is the Big 3. thats how it will always be. blame it on you guys, the fans. for real though, its been engrained into the dna of the fanbase....this idea of a big 3. it will never be possible to just change that to a big 4. wont happen. it will always be the big 3 and then a handful of other really good/great records from here on out. so we can just stop beating this dead horse.
    this.
    it actually doesn't matter if they make a record better than any of the big 3 and everyone agrees it's better. the big 3 will still always mean uttad, crash, and btcs.
    jakesomedevil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #57
    jcarrier

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakesomedevil41 View Post
    this.
    it actually doesn't matter if they make a record better than any of the big 3 and everyone agrees it's better. the big 3 will still always mean uttad, crash, and btcs.
    Yes, and that is basically because music requires personal attachment, memories, a history with the listener in order to become a "classic". We all have had great (and maybe bad) times in our lives growing up to the songs in the Big 3, going to the shows, so we will always have a sentiment, a special fondness to those albums. Of course to someone that has just gotten into DMB, maybe one day AFTW will be a classic, who knows.
    jcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #58
    Silverman1
    Mr. Walking Man

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Until the lyrics get back to where they were, being creative with Dave "showing" the listener instead of "telling" every message he's trying to convey, there will be no big 4.
    Amen, brother.
    Silverman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #59
    DreamingStreets

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

No...big 2: UTTAD and BTCS

I'm sorry. I just don't like Crash as much. Not that I don't like it. But if I have to include it, I can't leave out Busted Stuff, LWS and, yes, Everyday...so...big 6??
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #60
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...uv5LUT1AFw#t=6

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote