Where do you go to college/did you go to college/are you going to college? - Page 14 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #391
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Where do you go to college/did you go to college/are you going to college?

University of Central Arkansas
BS in Public Administration, minor in Sociology
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #392
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    So, a question for you all, what made you decide on the college you went to? What sold you?

Last week I had a conversation with a friend about this. I went to Penn State and it was never really a question. It was always going to be Penn State. My friend, who went to a small local school, said that schools like Penn State are too focused on sports (football and basketball) and partying, not the school itself and education.

I asked another friend who went to PSU and he said it was always PSU as well, but he explained that while football was the initial source of understanding what Penn State was, seeing the campus really sold it. Researching the school when older led to the confirmation of the initial beliefs/understanding from our relatives about the quality of the school and that there was no reason to think about going to another school. It just always was going to be Penn State.

I feel like this is likely the same for many people who went to a major school, like Ohio State, Florida, Texas, etc. Interested started young due to relatives and it was never really a question of where to go. But it made me more curious about those who went to small local schools, ones that didn't have nationally branded athletic departments.

What is the selling point of a school that is an hour or two away that you probably never really heard of until looking into it? How does the small school become the favorite over schools you've known of and heard about for your entire life?

I'm at Penn State now mainly because of their networking. Other reasons too, but networking for sure has to do with it. Couldn't care less about their sports tbh.
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #393
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'd really be curious to see if people are using their degrees. One of my buddies spent 4 years and took out god knows how much in student loans to study English at an expensive liberal arts school, and now he's a manager at a truck rental company
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #394
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I'm in IT, so I use mine.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #395
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I'd really be curious to see if people are using their degrees. One of my buddies spent 4 years and took out god knows how much in student loans to study English at an expensive liberal arts school, and now he's a manager at a truck rental company
    I'm finishing my Public Administration degree right now and have already had job offers. It's easy to get government or non profit work.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #396
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First degree was basically useless for me. I went into medicine out of school and my communications major was focused on TV production and writing. So yeah...not so much.

Second degree was engineering and I am working as an engineer. So yes, this one I am using every day.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #397
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have a Bachelor's of Music, even though close to 2/3rds of my courses were business-related, but IMO, 'useless' degrees, as I'm sure you'd call mine, come down to how much you hustle after school. I've been gainfully employed since before I even graduated. Even when I lost that job because the company started tanking, I was still freelancing while I was un(der)employed. But I've been paying my rent with jobs in the music industry since before I graduated, so only having this degree hasn't really been harmful at all.

And I know people with English degrees who are published authors now, or some who have pretty decent jobs at publishers, magazines, etc. But yea, I'm sure there are a ton doing nothing related. So I think it depends more with what you do with yourself than with your degree.

Now...where I will sort of agree with you is that I was lucky enough that the vast majority of my tuition was paid for. I did end up with like $24k student loans that I'm down to about $11k, but compared to my school's tuition and what I could have ended up with, it's not a lot. So I DO become a bit less sympathetic about people who chose to go to a $200k school for something that is by no means any guarantee of even employment, if it was something their parents and/or they independently could not afford. And not unsympathetic in a nasty way, just like, it kinda sucks because it's the born lucky argument, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #398
    smb41

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure where to post this, but for all you East Coasters (or anyone else who is familiar): what if your perception of Holy Cross? I'm from the midwest and the school is almost unheard of here, and is sometimes confused with Holy Cross College in South Bend. For those who know the school, particularly people who live in the Northeast, how is the school perceived in general? Good school? Okay school? Safety school? I'm asking completely out of curiosity - any feedback would be appreciated.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #399
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
    Not sure where to post this, but for all you East Coasters (or anyone else who is familiar): what if your perception of Holy Cross? I'm from the midwest and the school is almost unheard of here, and is sometimes confused with Holy Cross College in South Bend. For those who know the school, particularly people who live in the Northeast, how is the school perceived in general? Good school? Okay school? Safety school? I'm asking completely out of curiosity - any feedback would be appreciated.
    Pretty good to very good school, lots of upper class white folks. Never been but heard it's fun but can be stuffy about certain things, it being a Catholic school.
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #400
    smb41

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty good to very good school, lots of upper class white folks. Never been but heard it's fun but can be stuffy about certain things, it being a Catholic school.
    Awesome, thanks! How would you say it compares to other Northeast Catholic schools like BC, Villanova, Providence, etc.?
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #401
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Awesome, thanks! How would you say it compares to other Northeast Catholic schools like BC, Villanova, Providence, etc.?
    My perception is that it's similar from an educational standpoint, but not as well known as the others you mentioned. I'm not an expert by any means, just know a few people who went there.
    Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #402
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

My college is now a university. We're big time now, baby!!!
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #403
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    lol my college did that too, a couple years after I left
    Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #404
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I thought phoenix was always university of
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #405
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    I thought phoenix was always university of
    #savage x

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #406
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The Holy Cross campus is really nice, but Worcester MA is trash.

Parties fizzle out pretty quick there.
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #407
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's a very good school. However, for small liberal arts colleges like Holy Cross it's all about being able to plug into that network that the school has in order to find a job. Really, you should be asking yourself, do you want to live in an area where there are lots of Holy Cross grads (I'd guess that would be NYC or Boston)? That's where a Holy Cross education becomes worth the high price of admission.

Small schools like that do great for networking. But if you want to move back to the Chicago area there might not be tons of alum to be able to help you out. Notre Dame would be a better choice, even if everyone else is going to that school. Even "lesser" schools like Marquette would be better because Chicagoans went to Marquette. Holy Cross won't open doors like Harvard etc just by going to those schools.

Very few schools have the ultimate prestige where the school gets you the job. Those are basically the ivy's. Everything else a hiring partner in Chicago looks at Villanova, Holy cross etc as basically the same.

If someone told me about how important networking is with regards to the school you go to I would have made different decisions in my life.
    cazzie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #408
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    It's a very good school. However, for small liberal arts colleges like Holy Cross it's all about being able to plug into that network that the school has in order to find a job. Really, you should be asking yourself, do you want to live in an area where there are lots of Holy Cross grads (I'd guess that would be NYC or Boston)? That's where a Holy Cross education becomes worth the high price of admission.

Small schools like that do great for networking. But if you want to move back to the Chicago area there might not be tons of alum to be able to help you out. Notre Dame would be a better choice, even if everyone else is going to that school. Even "lesser" schools like Marquette would be better because Chicagoans went to Marquette. Holy Cross won't open doors like Harvard etc just by going to those schools.

Very few schools have the ultimate prestige where the school gets you the job. Those are basically the ivy's. Everything else a hiring partner in Chicago looks at Villanova, Holy cross etc as basically the same.

If someone told me about how important networking is with regards to the school you go to I would have made different decisions in my life.
    This is true to a certain extent. However, and maybe this is because I'm still located on the East Coast/tri-state area, but the Villanova name carried a good amount of weight during my interview process. Everyone and their mother goes to UConn, it was a good way to stand out from the crowd and is probably perceived as a "better" school than UConn (though UConn is very good by state school standards).
    Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #409
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I'm in IT, so I use mine.
    oooooo fancy
    Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #410
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    left professional school, my major is a core subject matter in that school.

finished grad school for a different role within healthcare, my major was a core subject matter in that program and in my ultimate field I'm currently working in.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #411
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

can't wait to go back to school in two years for my MD when my debt is gone. I'm planning to matriculate at age 30.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #412
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    it's all about being able to plug into that network that the school has in order to find a job. Really, you should be asking yourself, do you want to live in an area where there are lots of Holy Cross grads (I'd guess that would be NYC or Boston)? That's where a Holy Cross education becomes worth the high price of admission.

This is dead nuts on.
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #413
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Yea I couldn't imagine going to a small, out-of-state school only to come back to work in the region you grew up or another region far away from said school. Doesn't make much sense to me. There's very few schools that even hold the prestige to stand out in that situation and even less schools where prestige would land you a job before any networking that would have been easier done at a local university.
    Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #414
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    can't wait to go back to school in two years for my MD when my debt is gone. I'm planning to matriculate at age 30.
    hey man why wait? gonna be in mad debt all over again after you finish med school. what schools are you thinking? obviously will probably apply to 20-30 like everyone else, but what would your top 7 be? depending on your residency you might also get a big chunk of your loan paid off during negotiations, especially if you go into an in demand field like psychiatry
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #415
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    hey man why wait? gonna be in mad debt all over again after you finish med school. what schools are you thinking? obviously will probably apply to 20-30 like everyone else, but what would your top 7 be? depending on your residency you might also get a big chunk of your loan paid off during negotiations, especially if you go into an in demand field like psychiatry
    i have a plan and will be going to school for free, worse comes to worst, paying for only 3 years of med school. i'm not worried about it.

i'm only applying to 2 or 3 schools. no reason to apply elsewhere given my situation

if it doesn't happen, then i'm debt free at the age of 30 with a pretty comfortable salary and great room for more

either way, it's a win for me

but psychiatry is the only field i wish to practice
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 08-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #416
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i have a plan and will be going to school for free, worse comes to worst, paying for only 3 years of med school. i'm not worried about it.
    wow that's rad! having any sort of plan would take so much anxiety away
    Old 08-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #417
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Appalachian State University 08-12. Beautiful campus.
    Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #418
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i'm only applying to 2 or 3 schools. no reason to apply elsewhere given my situation

if it doesn't happen, then i'm debt free at the age of 30 with a pretty comfortable salary and great room for more

Maybe you can get into sports psychiatry and work with Flacco on not Flaccoing??
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #419
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I initially responded before the edit, but that all makes sense. Psych is super cool and as I'm sure you know, it's really starting to boom. Definitely an exciting field to be a part of as the body of medical knowledge keeps expanding, and yet there's so much that isn't known. I feel pretty passionately about psych since psychiatric disorders are so stigmatized. Like you know if you pass someone with muscular dystrophy, but you don't know if the other person you passed on the street is suffering from bi-polar, which is absolutely a disease even if you can't see it