DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g) - Page 47 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #1381
snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live 25 - 5LP Vinyl (180g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
We seriously just need a sticky thread for "Recommendations for a starter vinyl setup."

with maybe 3 levels. A bare bones lowest in the door cost "you need to spend this much and get these basic things to not kill your records, and hear them pretty well" that can get people up and running with " i just bought RR95 and want to hear it without destroying it".

A moderate $500-$800 level with a few different options for turntable, speakers, receiver, etc powered vs passive speakers, dedicated pre amp vs built in suggestions.

And a $1500 plus level, starting to get into the gear that you really need a dedicated room to really appreciate, vibration isolation, some sound proofing.
snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #1382
    kilog

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone ever preordered with "guaranteed" delivery by release date? I'm wondering if it was money wasted in this case given that no one's seen a shipment notification as of yet...
    kilog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #1383
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    Total shame, because on paper CD's should excellent. I have some CD's that have been done really well, but they are few and far between. A proper CD is a thing of beauty, and SACD is even better.
    This is the part that gets me. I want to hear the vinyl releases that have better mastering than their CD counterparts, but to do vinyl right is expensive. And as the last couple pages show, vinyl is a medium that can be damaged easily if you are not careful. Frustrating when digital has the potential to be very good as well. All this to say, I'll probably get a turntable.
    Floyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #1384
    cjobes

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilog View Post
    Anyone ever preordered with "guaranteed" delivery by release date? I'm wondering if it was money wasted in this case given that no one's seen a shipment notification as of yet...

I mean if you read the email the warehouse sent out it says it will ship on or around the 28th so I wouldn't expect anything before the 28th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cjobes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #1385
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Right?! Like, I can *kind of* see someone without a record player wanting to buy it just as a keepsake and then at least be able to enjoy the book and stuff. But just keeping it in the shrink wrap? You just bought a $175 paperweight. It's one thing if you wanna do that for a single album and spend $25 or whatever, but for something like this I just can't fathom it.
    Quote:
    I found that most retailers are good about offering exchanges if you get records with a defect. Many times you can even contact the company that did the reissue directly and they'll send you replacement discs, I know lots of people that have done this with success.

As far as source material and mastering info, I've found the best rule of thumb is that if they aren't publishing any information about it, it's probably just the same mastering as the CD/streaming version. Most releases that are done all analog, or at least with a good, dynamic master done specifically for the vinyl, will brag about it in the press release and hype sticker. If you can't find any info anywhere, buyer beware. With stuff like that I'll usually wait till after it comes out, and after a week or so go check out the feedback on Steve Hoffman forums - see what the reaction is and if it's positive, then I'll go pick it up.
    On the topic of leaving releases sealed, your pressing might have an issue, but you'll never know if you don't open the record and play it. That would be enough to for me to open a release and make sure I had a good copy.
    Floyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #1386
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    On the topic of leaving releases sealed, your pressing might have an issue, but you'll never know if you don't open the record and play it. That would be enough to for me to open a release and make sure I had a good copy.

Yeah you're not gonna taking a loss by opening it. If you want to sell it in the future you'll be able to make your money back or more.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1387
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Once. Didn't arrive on time.
    Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #1388
    kilog

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Once. Didn't arrive on time.
    Of course not...how delayed?
    Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #1389
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Of course not...how delayed?

A few days, so not the end of the world but pretty annoying when I paid a decent amount extra for release day and I'm reading the boards and people who got regular shipping are getting theirs before me.
    Old 07-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #1390
    kilog

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    A few days, so not the end of the world but pretty annoying when I paid a decent amount extra for release day and I'm reading the boards and people who got regular shipping are getting theirs before me.
    Pretty annoying indeed thanks for the info
    Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #1391
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Floyd47 View Post
    This is the part that gets me. I want to hear the vinyl releases that have better mastering than their CD counterparts, but to do vinyl right is expensive. And as the last couple pages show, vinyl is a medium that can be damaged easily if you are not careful. Frustrating when digital has the potential to be very good as well. All this to say, I'll probably get a turntable.
    You don't have to be THAT careful with vinyl, just attentive to how your gear is set up. I find CDs to be much more fragile in general than an LP. The lack of proper CD mastering is pretty appalling. In the late 80's/early 90's it was pretty clear that CDs were going to dominate hi-fi, and then the loudness wars took off and really ruined the great parts of CDs. Vinyl can be a little expensive to get into and maintain, I'm grateful to have spent much of my life in and around the business so I've had great access to used gear (much of which was later sold to buy new gear) so over time I've had some pretty good equipment. Find some audio enthusiasts near you, and watch for solid used gear at places like Goodwill and Salvation Army. You can put together a decent set up for home listening without skipping too many meals.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #1392
    kingofkings
    bigeyedfisher

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Agree that Dark Side is a great SACD, but I have to say I have been sold since the Immersion sets came out with the new analogue quadraphic master > 24/96 PCM transfer of the 1970s Alan Parsons 4.0 mix they included on the Blu-ray of DSOTM. The Guthrie 5.1 mix is good, and I prefer his WYWH 5.1 mix (have the Analogue Productions SACD of that one) to the 70s quad mix, but the Dark Side mix is really something else! It's very immersive and makes great use of the surrounds with full on discrete elements.

Shame they didn't release a standalone SKU of those Blu-rays to make them more affordable to a larger market.
    love the immersion sets. great audio quality. picked up TDSOTM for $60 brand new at a record store after I bought The Wall one. very upset that they didn't release an Animals immersion set though.
    kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #1393
    Aforauer

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Bought a record player just for this release. Just took my first crack at ripping my Crash vinyl into mp3 as a test run before I attempt with Live 25 and it actually sounds great. Can't wait to rip the Live 25 into mp3.
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #1394
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Bought a record player just for this release. Just took my first crack at ripping my Crash vinyl into mp3 as a test run before I attempt with Live 25 and it actually sounds great. Can't wait to rip the Live 25 into mp3.
    What turn table did you go with?

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #1395
    Aforauer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    What turn table did you go with?
    Just an ION Archive LP. Just bought it for the mp3 converting capability honestly but it's not bad. Down the road I think I'll buy a more expensive one but this does the job just fine for now. Speakers aren't great but I plan to hook up my own. Only cost me $80
    Old 07-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #1396
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Just an ION Archive LP. Just bought it for the mp3 converting capability honestly but it's not bad. Down the road I think I'll buy a more expensive one but this does the job just fine for now. Speakers aren't great but I plan to hook up my own. Only cost me $80
    I'd just be careful with that thing. If you do a backread of the last 2 pages, the ION falls into that same category. There will be others who will rip the vinyl on proper equipment if you want to spare your records from that deck.

Specifically read this post: http://antsmarching.org/forum/showpo...postcount=1334

The LP60 he refers to is not much different than the ION

Old 07-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #1397
    Aforauer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd just be careful with that thing. If you do a backread of the last 2 pages, the ION falls into that same category. There will be others who will rip the vinyl on proper equipment if you want to spare your records from that deck.

Specifically read this post: http://antsmarching.org/forum/showpo...postcount=1334

Thank you sir. Always appreciate the help!
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #1398
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hi Chad!

Thanks for shopping the Dave Matthews Band Warehouse Store. This email confirms the following items from your order (X) have shipped via FedEx SmartPost:

Name: DMB Live 25 5-LP Vinyl Box Set
    Item Number: DMLP18
    Quantity Shipped: 1

Shipped To:

X

And if your order includes multiple items, they may ship from more than one location and you will receive a separate confirmation email for each shipment.

PLEASE NOTE: In an effort to provide you with the most expedient delivery, your order may not include a packing slip. Rest assured that you can reference your order details on your account at any time here: http://Warehouse.shop.musictoday.com...er_id=35760561
    Please reply to this email with any questions or concerns.
    Thanks!

Dave Matthews Band Warehouse Team
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #1399
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Shipped!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #1400
    cdtotten
    Warehouse Woo-er

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Same, order shipped:

Thanks for shopping the Dave Matthews Band Warehouse Store. This email confirms the following items from your order 35765937 have shipped via FedEx SmartPost:

Name: DMB Live 25 5-LP Vinyl Box Set
    Item Number: DMLP18
    Quantity Shipped: 1
    cdtotten is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #1401
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

The countdown is on

Old 07-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #1402
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

My copy shipped. just got the email
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #1403
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Shipped!

Record-player question: Sometimes I notice when I first play a record the needle slides a bit when I put it down. If I pick it back up and place it down a 2nd time it seems to stay put just fine. Is this a normal phenomena? I am a newbie when it comes to vinyl.
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #1404
    nerrfhearder

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I love my setup..
    Denon DP-300F Turntable with Ortofone Blue, professionally setup, output to my old late 1980's Yamaha Receiver with phono jack, output to my old 17" MacBookPro with onboard input jack that I record using Adobe SoundBooth which is recorded at maxed settings. I probably have a less then ideal transition between analog and digital on the mac but it's good for me at the moment. If I want all the nuances of analog i'll just play the record again.

Now if I could just get my vintage Pioneer PL-570 turntable refurbished and setup...
    nerrfhearder is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #1405
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    Shipped!

Record-player question: Sometimes I notice when I first play a record the needle slides a bit when I put it down. If I pick it back up and place it down a 2nd time it seems to stay put just fine. Is this a normal phenomena? I am a newbie when it comes to vinyl.
    Do you mean it moves laterally when placing it on the lead-in groove? That's probably because the needle is hitting a non-groove part of the wax and just looking for where to fall in

What table do you have again?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #1406
    dmbboz

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    My copy shipped. just got the email
    same! can't wait
    dmbboz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #1407
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Mine is in the mail too.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #1408
    Ripcord

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I just checked mine -- didn't ship yet.
    Ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #1409
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Both my copies shipped.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #1410
    ryanmcg

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I know someone thought you couldn't place two separate orders to the same name and shipping address, but..

I got both shipping conformations one minute apart.

Maybe i'll sell one, or both. who knows
    ryanmcg is offline   Reply With Quote