No Alpine in 2014? - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #91
gocubsgo3822
American #1

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: No Alpine in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb60 View Post
This thread is hilarious. I don't understand why people have such a sense of entitlement. Boycotting because they're changing it up on where to play is ridiculous. You're lucky to get a two night stand AND in a great city. I love Chicago. Make a whole weekend of it.
I am boycotting. They chose not to play alpine due to live nation. I can choose not to go to an awful venue in a city that will be jam packed for the fourth.

It's going to be awful
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
wow that was a classic ricky deflection ™

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #92
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

OMG big crowds on a holiday its the end of the world

i would want a change up after a decade+ of the same shit

live nation or not it's nice to have change
    Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #93
    Crush Me DMB

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

My uncle has a very high position with Summerfest and runs all the stages at the grounds, he's told me that for years Alpine has been structurally declining and that DMB and Buffett have been putting in a lot of money to prep the venue for shows. As a result of this, both bands (and any others that do play there) take home essentially everything that gets sold. I'm guessing that perhaps there is more maintenance that needs to be done and the band didn't want to deal with it anymore. Summerfest is an easy in and easy out. I'm just speculating that with all the global touring they've done this year and the stress that must involve and additional costs of such shows that perhaps they just decided to bump Alpine. Alpine has also been rumored to be shutting down for some time too so who really knows.

I'll try to get specifics from my uncle as I'm sure he has a pretty good idea of what's going on
    Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #94
    kapmann

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Being from Milwaukee, I'm certainly not complaining that there are 3 shows basically within an hour of my house in a 4 day span. Alpine has been an amazing experience, and I agree that these shows may not draw as many from places like Iowa, Minnesota, ND + SD as Alpine did. But really, us Wisconsinites and FIBS have nothing to complain about... Hopefully all these people "boycotting" or whatever means I'll draw sweet seats from Warehouse for Summerfest!
    Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #95
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
    as a matter of fact, you definitely are not. you may be thinking of the antsmarching.org community, which makes up an extremely small fraction of DMB fans. then sure, but not the DMB community as a whole.
    If I'm not qualified to say which regularly scheduled venues DMB stops at on a typical summer tour are among the best they stop at regularly, then nobody is. What other knowledgeable base of DMB fans (since the Antsmarching community apparently doesn't count in your opinion) argues that Alpine, Gorge, and SPAC aren't the best 3 venues for a typical DMB summer tour? I'd be curious to read up more about this apparently well-organized group of people that apparently disagrees with the Antsmarching community so I can understand why they don't think Alpine is one of the best venues DMB regularly plays.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crb60 View Post
    This thread is hilarious. I don't understand why people have such a sense of entitlement. Boycotting because they're changing it up on where to play is ridiculous. You're lucky to get a two night stand AND in a great city. I love Chicago. Make a whole weekend of it.
    I wouldn't consider the 3rd largest city in the country getting a 2-night stand "luck".
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #96
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    If I'm not qualified to say which regularly scheduled venues DMB stops at on a typical summer tour are among the best they stop at regularly, then nobody is. What other knowledgeable base of DMB fans (since the Antsmarching community apparently doesn't count in your opinion) argues that Alpine, Gorge, and SPAC aren't the best 3 venues for a typical DMB summer tour? I'd be curious to read up more about this apparently well-organized group of people that apparently disagrees with the Antsmarching community so I can understand why they don't think Alpine is one of the best venues DMB regularly plays.
    you don't get it...
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #97
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    OMG big crowds on a holiday its the end of the world

i would want a change up after a decade+ of the same shit

live nation or not it's nice to have change
    Tell that to the people who regularly go to the Gorge or SPAC. I'm sure those fans who make the trek out there every year do it because what they really desire is a change. If that's what they wanted, they would choose to mix things up and not go.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #98
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Tell that to the people who regularly go to the Gorge or SPAC. I'm sure those fans who make the trek out there every year do it because what they really desire is a change. If that's what they wanted, they would choose to mix things up and not go.
    lol what? that's the most flawed logic i think i've ever heard

you maybe need to take a day or two for this alpine news to sink in because you're not thinking clearly at all
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #99
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you don't get it...
    You're right, I don't. You're saying the larger DMB fan base as a whole would argue that Alpine isn't one of the best venues on a typical DMB summer tour for some reason (because that was all I was arguing in favor of). I'm curious to know what that reason is and how you're able to speak for the larger fan base as a whole.

It's going to be tough to convince me that Alpine isn't one of the top 3 best venues DMB typically plays on a summer tour. I've heard West Palm Beach has been pretty good the last few years, but I don't think it bumps Alpine out. People travel from all over the country to go to Alpine consistently.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #100
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    lol what? that's the most flawed logic i think i've ever heard

you maybe need to take a day or two for this alpine news to sink in because you're not thinking clearly at all
    You're saying change is good. If that was the case, why do people make trips to SPAC and the Gorge every single year?

You were saying it's good they changed things up. For me, I was looking forward to going to Alpine this year as I've done every year since 2003, but you're saying I should be happy they aren't playing there since "change is nice". If what I wanted was change I would have chosen not to go to Alpine this year instead of the decision being made for me.

Last edited by Benny003; 01-14-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #101
    John Kelly
    Machead and Cheese

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

There is one thing I know people HATE: change. Yes, Alpine is an iconic venue, but mixing it up every now & again keeps things fresh. I'm from Saint Louis & we didn't get a stop this summer. I'm not complaining. I'll adapt & move on.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #102
    mkemedic

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

For anyone north of Chicago, you just don't understand. Alpine has been a normal trek for many years to us and it's a tough pill to swallow that it's been replaced by Summerfest. I like many others on this thread want to stay out of Chicago. Driving in Chicago is more of a headache to me than Alpine ever is.

I understand that Dave was at the Marcus in the early 90s, but that venue hasn't' changed a bit. Seating is bad. Speakers are bad. It'll be hard to spend the same amount for an Alpine ticket at such a crappy venue. Deer Creek is calling my name.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #103
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    There is one thing I know people HATE: change. Yes, Alpine is an iconic venue, but mixing it up every now & again keeps things fresh. I'm from Saint Louis & we didn't get a stop this summer. I'm not complaining. I'll adapt & move on.
    Given a choice, which would you prefer: a tour stop in St. Louis or no tour stop so you could "mix it up"?
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #104
    ucbedge

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

This is such a white people problem thread.

Denver doesn't even get a show within 1,000 miles to replace Red Rocks and people are complaining about a new venue instead of Alpine? Cry me a river.

Quote:
    I've been to SPAC, Gorge, Red Rocks, and the Greek Theatre (Berkeley). Alpine is #2 behind Red Rocks.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #105
    GoodyISU1

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    i'm not benny, but i am from minneapolis...

i've been to chicago plenty- several lollapaloozas, many pearl jam and other shows, friends that have lived there (sadly, no one now), and more. chicago is a nice city, but i don't feel i need to experience it anymore than i have, and seeing dave matthews there isn't enough of an enticement to go (i didn't even bother with wrigley or the caravans a couple years ago). it is more expensive and, imo, more of a hassle to get there and back than alpine.

now, i don't have a problem with the band not playing alpine. business is business and all the signs are there this was a calculated move. i'm not happy about it, but i ain't going to lose my shit over it. in addition to not getting the alpine experience this year, it sucks because i finally joined the warehouse with the hopes of getting alpine pavilion seats and now i likely have to wait another year. hopefully the play mpls/st. paul in the fall so i can get some value from joining this year.

but count me as one fan who would have went to alpine, but isn't bothering with summerfest/northerly island, or any other summer shows.
    Agree with your first statement. I love Chicago but downtown around the 4th seems like the polar opposite of the relaxing 2 days for Alpine.

Second statement, I did this last year. I saw someone comment that you would have gotten lawn seats for Alpine since you are first year. Not true. I ended up with Pit one night & decent seats the other night last year.

Super bummed about no Alpine. May just have to go to DC instead this year.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #106
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're right, I don't. You're saying the larger DMB fan base as a whole would argue that Alpine isn't one of the best venues on a typical DMB summer tour for some reason (because that was all I was arguing in favor of). I'm curious to know what that reason is and how you're able to speak for the larger fan base as a whole.

It's going to be tough to convince me that Alpine isn't one of the top 3 best venues DMB typically plays on a summer tour. I've heard West Palm Beach has been pretty good the last few years, but I don't think it bumps Alpine out. People travel from all over the country to go to Alpine consistently.
    no, you really don't get it. what we're saying is the larger DMB fan base doesn't give a shit about Alpine. all they care about is if DMB plays close by. that's it.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #107
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i'm not trying to convince you of anything opinion related, that would be dumb, nor am i saying anything about the "larger fanbase as a whole". that's just you making stuff up, nor am i knocking alpine as a venue

i'm not speaking for anyone, you are

my top 3 doesn't include alpine

joe schmo might love apline

mary mo might hate alpine

it's all fucking OPINION, point over

Quote:
    You're saying change is good. If that was the case, why do people make trips to SPAC and the Gorge every single year?
    are you serious? people make trips to alot of different venues, not just those 3, and i'm hoping most of those people are traveling to see the BAND, not to see a stage in the middle of wisconsin or upstate NY, get it together man

and CHANGE will most certainly draw BIGGER numbers (considering alpine hasn't come CLOSE to selling 80,000 tix in recent years) especially in a city like chicago, deal with it and move on like a normal person
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #108
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    this guy gets it

a true fan
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #109
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You were saying it's good they changed things up. For me, I was looking forward to going to Alpine this year as I've done every year since 2003, but you're saying I should be happy they aren't playing there since "change is nice". If what I wanted was change I would have chosen not to go to Alpine this year instead of the decision being made for me.
    many people go to the Gorge every year because it's the closest opportunity to see the band. meanwhile, you're complaining even when DMB is still playing at Summerfest in Milwaukee.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #110
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkemedic View Post
    For anyone north of Chicago, you just don't understand. Alpine has been a normal trek for many years to us and it's a tough pill to swallow that it's been replaced by Summerfest. I like many others on this thread want to stay out of Chicago. Driving in Chicago is more of a headache to me than Alpine ever is.

I understand that Dave was at the Marcus in the early 90s, but that venue hasn't' changed a bit. Seating is bad. Speakers are bad. It'll be hard to spend the same amount for an Alpine ticket at such a crappy venue. Deer Creek is calling my name.
    there is nothing that is more of a headache than the alpine valley parking lot, and that's a fact.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #111
    mkemedic

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    there is nothing that is more of a headache than the alpine valley parking lot, and that's a fact.
    Are you one of the people that HAS to leave right away, or do you bring the grill back out and listen to some more music?
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #112
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I don't see how pedestrians aren't killed every single year at Alpine. They just walk through the driving thoroughfares without a care in the world.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #113
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no, you really don't get it. what we're saying is the larger DMB fan base doesn't give a shit about Alpine. all they care about is if DMB plays close by. that's it.
    I wasn't saying which venues the entire DMB community cares deeply about. I was saying which venues are the best ones that DMB regularly stops at. In any case, enough people "cared" about Alpine to make the trek to the middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin to fill a 40,000 seat venue for 2 nights every summer. Obviously that has now changed unfortunately.

Quote:
    i'm not trying to convince you of anything opinion related, that would be dumb, nor am i saying anything about the "larger fanbase as a whole". that's just you making stuff up, nor am i knocking alpine as a venue

i'm not speaking for anyone, you are

my top 3 doesn't include alpine

joe schmo might love apline

mary mo might hate alpine

it's all fucking OPINION, point over

are you serious? people make trips to alot of different venues, not just those 3, and i'm hoping most of those people are traveling to see the BAND, not to see a stage in the middle of wisconsin or upstate NY, get it together man

and CHANGE will most certainly draw BIGGER numbers (considering alpine hasn't come CLOSE to selling 80,000 tix in recent years) especially in a city like chicago, deal with it and move on like a normal person
    You're acting like I shouldn't have a right to complain about this and I should just be fine with it. Sorry for caring about a summer ritual that I've taken part in for the last 10 years straight being stopped without my choice.

SPAC and Gorge were just examples of places people go to every year as a counter point to show that, no, change isn't always appreciated. Obviously people travel to lots of shows.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #114
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    many people go to the Gorge every year because it's the closest opportunity to see the band. meanwhile, you're complaining even when DMB is still playing at Summerfest in Milwaukee.
    You're saying 1-night at Summerfest should be an acceptable replacement for 2-nights at Alpine?

Sure, and jerking off to porn is an acceptable replacement for having sex with a beautiful woman too. You were regularly having sex with a beautiful woman and then one day someone says that's going to stop, but here's a magazine to use instead. Don't complain, change is nice and it's "just business" and it makes "logistical sense".

Last edited by Benny003; 01-14-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #115
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're saying 1-night at Summerfest should be an acceptable replacement for 2-nights at Alpine?

Sure, and jerking off to porn is an acceptable replacement for having sex with a beautiful woman too.
    no, i'm saying you should be grateful DMB is playing close to you instead of whining about it all the time. see the above post about the guy in colorado, then maybe you'll get some common sense.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #116
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're acting like I shouldn't have a right to complain about this and I should just be fine with it. Sorry for caring about a summer ritual that I've taken part in for the last 10 years straight being stopped without my choice.

SPAC and Gorge were just examples of places people go to every year as a counter point to show that, no, change isn't always appreciated. Obviously people travel to lots of shows.
    hey if you are pissed, by all means be pissed, but be logical also

i'm sorry your ritual is ending this year, i am, but this has happened to people all over the US (colorado, missouri) and the world for that matter

the writing has been on the wall for a scaled back tour for a while now too so this shouldn't be a real shock to anyone

this move is smart from a business stand point and from a freshness stand point

it just makes sense
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #117
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Sure, and jerking off to porn is an acceptable replacement for having sex with a beautiful woman too.
    that's not what he is saying at all man, you are way off base
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #118
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Hereing a lot of I's and Me's instead of Us's and We's in here. maybe if the alpine crew would of been more team players they wouldntve lost there shows.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #119
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really don't care if they want to add shows in Chicago. They used to always play Chicago AND Alpine. It's just plain stupid to eliminate Alpine.

Also, there is no disputing that among the DMB community Alpine is in the top 3 venues of regularly scheduled tour stops. Yes, I am in a position to make that statement.
    Quote:
    I wasn't saying which venues the entire DMB community cares deeply about. I was saying which venues are the best ones that DMB regularly stops at. In any case, enough people "cared" about Alpine to make the trek to the middle-of-nowhere Wisconsin to fill a 40,000 seat venue for 2 nights every summer. Obviously that has now changed unfortunately.
    That is almost exactly what you said.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #120
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no, i'm saying you should be grateful DMB is playing close to you instead of whining about it all the time. see the above post about the guy in colorado, then maybe you'll get some common sense.
    Colorado was never really a regular stop, certainly not Red Rocks. That doesn't even matter. People from Colorado should be complaining! Just because someone else has a bad situation doesn't mean I should be happy or complacent about my situation becoming worse.

Quote:
    that's not what he is saying at all man, you are way off base
    He said don't complain because we still have Summerfest. I'm not sure how else to take that.
    Closed Thread