Buying a guitar- what to get? Newbie trying to learn to play - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > Musician Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
TrippingBobbies

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Buying a guitar- what to get? Newbie trying to learn to play

I have never played or tried playing an instrument, but I have decided that for my 26th birthday I want to get a guitar and start trying to teach myself, if that doesnt work out.. ill get lessons.

However, I would like to see if anyone has any recommendations for a guitar I should purchase to start learning on? I dont mind spending $500-750 . Looking for acoustic as one day Id like to play some dmb

Would that be able to buy me anything decent? If not what would some of you recommend?

Also does anyone have any favorite youtube channels that I can try to learn from.

Any advice on any of this would be appreciated. Thanks!
TrippingBobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Buying a guitar- what to get? Newbie trying to learn to play

Honestly, since you don't know much about it, you can't just say go and play around with some and find what tones you like. for acoustic, seagull or jasmine are really good introductory guitars that are cheaper than what you're looking to spend. but if you stick with it, then I would go back at that point to a guitar center or something and just sit and play some guitars that are in your price range.

I have two Taylors, a Jasmine (my first guitar), and then a throw away Yamaha that is currently busted up. I currently lack a dreadnought and I really think that body style produces the best sound I'm looking for, but you don't know what you're looking for until you play around with one guitar for awhile to learn what you like about it, what you don't like about it, etc.

don't get too beat up over types of woods right now as you're just starting out. but those two brands (seagull, jasmine), though I can only speak personally for one of them, have great guitars for beginners
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

For electric I would recommend the fender squire classic vibe. They come in telecaster and strats. They cost around 300-400$. They are quality guitars especially for a beginner. I wouldn't get just a regular squire because they are lower quality. Make sure it's the classic vibe if you go with a fender squire.

As far as an acoustic I have some type of fender. I don't know why model it is.

If you are a beginning guitar player I would recommend to start out on electric. The electric is much Easer to press the strings down.

Last edited by tyler3440; 02-01-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #4
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    Honestly, since you don't know much about it, you can't just say go and play around with some and find what tones you like. for acoustic, seagull or jasmine are really good introductory guitars that are cheaper than what you're looking to spend. but if you stick with it, then I would go back at that point to a guitar center or something and just sit and play some guitars that are in your price range.

I have two Taylors, a Jasmine (my first guitar), and then a throw away Yamaha that is currently busted up. I currently lack a dreadnought and I really think that body style produces the best sound I'm looking for, but you don't know what you're looking for until you play around with one guitar for awhile to learn what you like about it, what you don't like about it, etc.

don't get too beat up over types of woods right now as you're just starting out. but those two brands (seagull, jasmine), though I can only speak personally for one of them, have great guitars for beginners
    This is what I started on. And honestly, I would recommend it to anyone starting out. They are cheap, they stay in tune (seriously, haven't touched mine for over a year... just picked it up and it's barely out of tune), and they are easy to play.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I would concur, started on a pawn shop Yamaha. When k wanted to upgrade to your price range I really liked Seagulls as well. I ended up getting a Martin DM though. I'd pick one that is comfortable more than anything else for the reason Minarets mentioned.
    Old 02-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I started with a cheap Ibanez acoustic and ended up getting a top end Martin, that was after years of playing the first guitar. If you stick with it there is a good chance you'll always want the cheaper guitar around as you can leave it wherever you want and if you get an idea can just pick it up and start playing. I still do this all the time. Seagull is a really good suggestion, lower cost than your price range and good quality. Good luck!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
    Stabn
    Kölle Alaaf

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Seagull S6. Best bet for your money.
    Stabn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Taylor 110e is a great starter guitar right in your price range. I'll second the opinion though that spending a little less (maybe around 300) on a beginner Yamaha or Alvarez might be wise if there is any chance you won't stick with it. If you know anyone that plays maybe have them go with you to try some out.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

I would stay away from any Taylor under the 400 series, possibly even the 300 series. At that price, you're paying for a name on only a solid top, and can probably invest that money into a more quality low-end guitar that actually may be cheaper.

I could be misremembering, though
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 02-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would stay away from any Taylor under the 400 series, possibly even the 300 series. At that price, you're paying for a name on only a solid top, and can probably invest that money into a more quality low-end guitar that actually may be cheaper.

100 and 200 series are laminated back and sides and made in Mexico.
    300 series and up are all solid and made in America.

The 300 series of Taylors are AWESOME, but expensive (think they start around $1500 or so).

The 100 and 200 series are actually well made, easy to take care of, easy to play, and sound great. Buy you're right, you might be able to find something similar for less money if you know what you're looking for.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    100 and 200 series are laminated back and sides and made in Mexico.

300 series and up are all solid and made in America.

The 300 series of Taylors are AWESOME, but expensive (think they start around $1500 or so).

The 100 and 200 series are actually well made, easy to take care of, easy to play, and sound great. Buy you're right, you might be able to find something similar for less money if you know what you're looking for.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was 300 or 400. I have a 414 ltd myself from 2011 ($2600, but got a rad deal for 1949...insane!). Anywho---for me, when I'm spending that amount of money (what 900 range for a 100 series), I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. In my opinion, despite their sound and playability for an intro guitar, I'm not getting that investment in what money I'm paying.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 02-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
    dkamis

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you can find a 2006 or older 200 series they are all solid wood.
    dkamis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
    Dreaming Jimi

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Acoustics tend to differ from guitar to guitar (more so than electrics), so you really need to just go to the store and mess around and see which one has a sound you like. I'll stump to Alvarez guitars any day of the week. Been playing acoustic for 10+ years and love the two I have. They're cheap and you can find some that sound amazing.

Another tip with acoustics, it is definitely important to have good stings. I only use Elixer strings (but other coated brands are good too). They cost a little most but last significantly longer and have better sound.

Good luck on your search!
    Dreaming Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkamis View Post
    If you can find a 2006 or older 200 series they are all solid wood.
    Good point! Didn't even consider used market.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
    dkamis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreaming Jimi View Post
    Acoustics tend to differ from guitar to guitar (more so than electrics), so you really need to just go to the store and mess around and see which one has a sound you like. I'll stump to Alvarez guitars any day of the week. Been playing acoustic for 10+ years and love the two I have. They're cheap and you can find some that sound amazing.

Another tip with acoustics, it is definitely important to have good stings. I only use Elixer strings (but other coated brands are good too). They cost a little most but last significantly longer and have better sound.

Good luck on your search!

Alvarez wouldn't be a bad guitar to learn on but I would never gig with one. I used elixers for the longest time and the are soft on the fingers, but they are almost too bright for me. I switched to d'adarrios 6 years ago and never looked back. I change my strings about once every other month but I can stretch them for a few months if I need to. Try a few different types of strings and find what is good for you.

To the OP: If you are just learning I would look for guitars less than $400. If you find something around 500 you will either get the best model of an average guitar maker or the worst model of good guitar makers. My suggestion would be to buy a cheaper guitar now and if in a year from now you are ready to step it up, look for a guitar around $1500. Cheaper guitars are going to experience humidity issues at a much faster rate. I would suggest making sure you can control the humidity level to make it last. Also, take lessons. There are lots of videos online you can learn from but it is not the same being in a room with someone to help you develop proper technique. It will give you a leg up if you ever want to jam with others in the future.
    Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #16
    dkamis

My Tour Central Stats

Let me just reiterate: spend less on the guitar and pay for lessons. You can probably find some group lessons that are not super expensive. Learning guitar can be very frustrating and having an instructor in the room with structured practice will be a huge help.
    Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
    younevrknow

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Let me just reiterate: spend less on the guitar and pay for lessons. You can probably find some group lessons that are not super expensive. Learning guitar can be very frustrating and having an instructor in the room with structured practice will be a huge help.
    this, or just spend less so you can save up for a real upgrade. there are some really solid options out there if you can push up to the $1000 price point, but i wouldn't recommend it for a starter. if i were you, i'd stick to the $175-$200 range for the starter, then either use the leftover funds to pay for some lessons or to save up towards an upgrade in a year or two.
    Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alvarez wouldn't be a bad guitar to learn on but I would never gig with one. I used elixers for the longest time and the are soft on the fingers, but they are almost too bright for me. I switched to d'adarrios 6 years ago and never looked back. I change my strings about once every other month but I can stretch them for a few months if I need to. Try a few different types of strings and find what is good for you.

Definitely depends on the guitar too, exp17's sound best on my cheap Ibanez and don't sound right on my Martin OM21 Special which I use elixir's for. Also to the suggestion earlier about taking lessons I agree it's a good move!
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

For 750 you can find a used 310 by Taylor.

Taylor 300 series is the most underrated line of guitars made.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #20
    TrippingBobbies

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks guys .. I think I'll adjust my budget downwards to be able to get some lessons as well.. I'm going to take a look around craigslist and see if I can find any decent deals. I appreciate everyone's input
    TrippingBobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #21
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

When I started out in 2009, I got an Epiphone Masterbuilt which was around $450 or $500. I was pretty positive I was going to stick with it, so I wanted to get a guitar that was nice enough that I wouldn't want to upgrade in a year or two. I think that was a good decision and it is a nice, all solid wood guitar that I probably won't get rid of.

If I was starting out now though, I would probably check out Yamaha's. They have some around $300 that look nice. Anyone ever played one of the Yamaha LS6 or LS16? I really want to try one of those.
    Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #22
    dkamis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBobbies View Post
    Thanks guys .. I think I'll adjust my budget downwards to be able to get some lessons as well.. I'm going to take a look around craigslist and see if I can find any decent deals. I appreciate everyone's input
    Be super careful with secondary markets. I'm a big fan of buying used guitars, but you will want it checked out by someone that knows what to look for. Some damage is obvious: cracks, scratches, etc but most major damage done by humidity issues (too much, too little) will be more difficult to detect by strumming it a little bit. Also, if you play a certain guitar brand new in a store and then just look for that guitar used, it might not have the exact same. I would never buy a guitar without playing it and having it in my hands to look for damage.
    Old 02-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #23
    Floyd47

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Be super careful with secondary markets. I'm a big fan of buying used guitars, but you will want it checked out by someone that knows what to look for. Some damage is obvious: cracks, scratches, etc but most major damage done by humidity issues (too much, too little) will be more difficult to detect by strumming it a little bit. Also, if you play a certain guitar brand new in a store and then just look for that guitar used, it might not have the exact same. I would never buy a guitar without playing it and having it in my hands to look for damage.
    Good points to consider. The used guitars I have bought are electrics. My one acoustic I bought new.