Comic Book Discussion - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #31
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Comic Book Discussion

Do you guys prefer DC or Marvel?

I feel like as I'm getting older, I've definitely gravitated toward DC. Marvel seems too geared toward children. I think their heroes are cool enough, but the Avengers film was really the last thing that pushed me away from Marvel (permanently, I think). I just don't find their characters compelling at all.

Obviously just personal preference and I don't mean to ignite a fanboy war. I'd be more than interested in reexamining Marvel if people have suggestions for some good one-offs or shorter storylines I could dig into. For the last 6-7 years I just could not care less about the Marvel universe at all.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #32
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer Marvel. Not really sure when they got saddled with this for kids thing? I always felt it was the other way around.
    bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #33
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bannar7 View Post
    I recently finished the Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest sagas. I'm gonna start the guardians of the galaxy soon and possibly some of the New 52 stuff from DC.

OH, I also read Infinity Gauntlet, which I liked a lot and Ill probably dive into the other tie-ins to that story soon.
    The DnA run on GotG is AWESOME.

Also most of the Infinity story lines are awesome. Thanos and Warlock are great.
    Old 11-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #34
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post

I feel like as I'm getting older, I've definitely gravitated toward DC. Marvel seems too geared toward children. I think their heroes are cool enough, but the Avengers film was really the last thing that pushed me away from Marvel (permanently, I think). I just don't find their characters compelling at all.

Obviously just personal preference and I don't mean to ignite a fanboy war. I'd be more than interested in reexamining Marvel if people have suggestions for some good one-offs or shorter storylines I could dig into. For the last 6-7 years I just could not care less about the Marvel universe at all.
    I'm the opposite. I always thought DC was too geared for children and that Marvel was more adult. I think at this point they both are just a mess continuity-wise that it's just so damn confusing.

But like I mentioned earlier, I strongly recommend the new Thor: God of Thunder #1-12. The God Butcher was a really, really great story.
    Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #35
    bannar7

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    I'm the opposite. I always thought DC was too geared for children and that Marvel was more adult. I think at this point they both are just a mess continuity-wise that it's just so damn confusing.

But like I mentioned earlier, I strongly recommend the new Thor: God of Thunder #1-12. The God Butcher was a really, really great story.

was looking for a good Thor story, Ill probably get this. Does Silver Surfer show up in it by any chance?

He was my favorite part of the Infinity Gauntlet

Rate Your Music
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #36
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I've always preferred DC.

For me I don't believe it was which characters were kid friendly more than which characters were marketed better. Probably why DC characters appealed more to me as a kid. When I was little we had Super Friends, the Superman movies, re-runs of the 1960's Batman show, Batman & Robin making guest appearances on Scooby-Doo, The Batman movies, Batman The Animated Series and the Flash TV show in 1990. Marvel had X-Men. That was about it. That was a show my little brother watched and for some reason I just never got into. I think as a kid it was - Sean likes X-Men so I'll stick with Ghostbusters HAHA. I think there was a 70's Spiderman show & cartoon but they weren't really in repeat rotation and neither was the 70's Hulk show. I didn't know anything about any of the Marvel characters. I think the only one I really ever heard of was The Punisher and that was definitely not a movie for kids. Aside from X-Men, Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America I never really heard of any other Marvel characters until te movies started coming out. I suppose I knew of Thor.

I am loving getting into the comics, even at the age of 32. I don't know if I'll ever really get into the Marvel comic book universe. I think I'll probably stick with the movies and the shows they have lined up. I think they have absolutely nailed the perfect formula in film and television and I am loving watching all of them.

I am very interested to see where DC is going. Rumor is that Arrow and The Flash may tie into the Justice League movie. I hope so because it would be weird to have two Green Arrows and two Flash characters. It's also somewhat of a different formula than that of Marvel's and I like that. I don't want to see them do exactly what Marvel did. I'm curious on how the next Superman movie will play out. From the sounds of it, it's more like a back door into JLA and not really a Man of Steel sequel. I think I would have liked to see at least one more Superman movie before introducing Batman and everyone else rumored to be in it. I just hope DC has a solid plan and isn't rushing into a JLA movie just so they can ride on the current popularity of superhero movies/shows. I suppose we'll see how it all plays out. Until then it's giving us fans lots to talk about, see and do. I wish I was a kid when all this was happening so I could play with all the toys!
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #37
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

One other thing in regards to Marvel being more geared towards kids. One of the main reasons The Avengers made more than The Dark Knight Rises is because of kids (that and it showed in 3D as well and those ticket prices are more expensive). Chris Nolan's Batman was way darker and way more adult than any other take on a superhero. He wanted a gritty realistic Batman and he absolutely nailed it. Unfortunately for kids who love Batman it really wasn't for them. While The Avengers and all of the tie in movies have all been rated PG-13 they are still way more kid friendly. There have brighter colors, more humor and are much more light-hearted. But The Dark Knight Trilogy was the only really dark DC movie in the past decade (not counting The Watchmen). Superman Returns was definitely kid friendly as was Green Lantern and I'd even say Man of Steel was too. While Man of Steel definitely had a darker tone then its predecessors it was still something a kid could sit through and not get scaredor not understand. Lets face it, most movies are rated PG-13 these days if it isn't rated R. When I was a kid a lot of movies that were rated PG SHOULD have been rated PG-13, but it didn't exist yet. As far as movies go I am enjoying both. I definitely find the DC characters a bit more exciting and entertaining but that's probably because I'm more familiar with them.

Clearly it is dead at work and I'm bored out of my mind today haha.
    Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #38
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    I've never read comics, but I do want to read the new comics that tell the story of the original script for Star Wars.

edit: The Star Wars - http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/22-8...ck-Runge-cover

Heard it's really good.

Annnnd my new favortie thread on ants? Yep!

Can't wait to get my new issues today. Most excited for Pretty Deadly #2.

PSN: Max_Power--
    maxpower00044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #39
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    I never read them, but have in the past read:

Batman: Year One
    Watchmen
    Road to Perdition (graphic novel - not really a comic but Im counting it)

All three were well written. I feel like comic book dialogue is notoriously cheesy, but I didnt get TOO much of that reading these.
    Really depends who you're reading. Miller, Moore, Morrison, Snyder, Lemire (two of the three you've read work from) tend to not have cheesy dialogue and very good writers. But, yea, the average comic book writer has some pretty corny dialogue.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #40
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Figured a few of us nerds could use one thread to discuss all things comics. I have always been a huge superhero fan and a fan of "geeky" movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. However, growing up I never read any comic books. The summer The Dark Knight came out I became obsessed with anything Batman. I just couldn't get enough. So I started reading every Batman graphic novel I could find. I read The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Year One, Robin: Year One & Batgirl: Year One. Then my brother pushed The Watchmen on me. I wish I read that at another time because I was just so engrossed in Batman that I didn't really care for it. Anyway, after that summer I kind of fell off the comic book map. Recently I have just been getting into the scene. I have started the New 52 as it's been suggested to me if I want to start reading since it's still fairly early on in the issues. I bought the Flashpoint movie which I may need to watch again because it lost me a couple of times. I just read Justice League: Origins Vol. 1 which was awesome and I'm starting Batman: Court of Owls Vol. 1 which I'm enjoying.

I really want to get serious about reading and I'm looking forward to it. I definitely want to get into Superman (was told to start with New 52 Action Comics). I also want to start getting havy into The Flash and Green Lantern as the only thing I know about them is what I've seen either in the Green Lantern movie or the original 1990 cheesy Flash show. I'm finding getting started rather overwhelming. Where do I start? What's the correct lineage? I've also noticed that thhey're only up I think maybe 3 volumes of the actual New 52 books. So if I read, say, the next two Batman volumes, how do I get the next set of comics so I can catch up to the current run? As you can see I'm new to this and have lots of questions.
    Morrison's run on AC was great, then it gets terrible for about 5-6 issues. It is just getting good again with issue 25 (the most recent issue) so, you can get the Morrison run in trade and start with 25 and forget the other stuff. Adventures of Superman is a short story anthology that's good (although I dropped it because I was spending too much money on books and needed to cut back), and Superman Unchained has been pretty spectacular and it's only in its 4th issue. Try to stay away from everything and anything Scott Lobdell.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB2010 View Post
    I'm actually in a comic book/graphic novel english class this semester. We've read a few good ones so far that I've liked. Some have been mentioned already

What I've read and recommend:

The Dark Knight Returns
    Maus
    Watchmen
    Preacher
    Akira

Really need to read Maus. I have to get on that. DKR is one of my favorite pieces of literature, ever.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I read Red Son Superman over the summer. That was awesome. Neat concept.
    Russian Batman is the shit! Loved me some Red Son!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #43
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

If you haven't noticed , I'm probably gonna answer everyone in this thread and babble a lot.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #44
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post
    I currently read Batman, Daredevil, and Saga.

Saga is phenomenal. It's written by Brian K. Vaughn, who wrote for lost. It's a mature, independent comic that has some fantastic storytelling.
    I still need to get the second trade. Saga is a very good book.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #45
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post
    $2.99-3.99, depending on length.

Dude, you gotta read the New 52 Batman. Snyder and Cappulo are a great team. Detective Comics and Batman: The Dark Knight aren't too great. I enjoyed a handful of issues of Batman & Robin.
    Snyder and Capullo are amazing. Snyder and me share the same comic shop. He's a hometown hero to me. Dude is so humble and will talk comics with anyone. Detective comics was pretty bad until Layman and Fabok came on to it. Now, it's pretty awesome. B&R is a mixed bag to me, and TDK is getting dropped today when I go to the shop. I can't stand Hurwitz's characterization of Batman. He's an oaf and try's to crack too many jokes.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #46
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

These are the titles I currently pull (will answer questions about any of them):

Action Comics
    Earth 2
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    Detective
    Green Arrow
    Batman
    Collider FBP
    Superman Unchained
    Nightwing
    Batman and Robin
    Batwoman *(depends on new team)
    Batman/Superman
    Talon* (after arc December)
    Batman: Eternal
    Lil Gotham
    The Dark Knight * (after arc)
    Savage Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Punisher
    Silver Surfer
    DD
    Moonknight
    Fatale
    Nowhere Men
    East of West
    American Vampire
    Lazarus
    Jupiter's Legacy
    The Bounce
    Chin Music
    Zero
    Sex Criminals
    Pretty Deadly
    Velvet

Mini:
    Half past danger - mini
    Dream Merchant -mini
    The Wake- mini
    DD: Dark Nights - mini
    Trillium - mini
    Batman B&W

Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #47
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think I remember reading that certain aspects of pre-New 52 were going to switch over. Barbara Gordon being Oracle, Jason Todd being killed by Joker, and certain other pivotal moments from the past were going to transfer and just be "assumed" as true going forward. I could be wrong, though.
    This is correct. They kinda are just picking and choosing what they want to keep.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #48
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Reading them all together keeps me fully engrossed. I have never had to deal with the week to week but I'm afraid I'll forget everything and wind up having to read them all together anyway.

I just started Batman: Court of Owls and really like it. Not too psyched that Dick Grayson is already Nightwing though. I thought that The New 52 was a reboot. I thought Dick Grayson would just be starting as Robin...
    It's not a compete reboot. Especially for Batman. Think more along the lines of an alternate universe as a result of Flashpoint.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #49
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Definitely DC. I like Marvel, but I love DC. Image is pretty awesome too. Creator Owned comics are the way to go.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #50
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Well, that was a lot of taking to myself. Lol

Www.cheapgraphicnovels.com

Best site EVAH!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #51
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

So then are the New 52 related to any of the comics prior to it? Like is Flashpoint picking up from where something else left off?
    Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

They are related to it in broad strokes, but nothing is concrete unless they specifically state that it is.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    They are related to it in broad strokes, but nothing is concrete unless they specifically state that it is.
    OK. Then it seems safe to start with New 52.
    Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, definitely. You shouldn't have any problem starting with stuff from the New 52. Same thing with Marvel: Now. Both were designed for new readers in mind.

Do any of you guys read creator owned stuff? Books like East of West, Lazarus, Fatale, The Wake, Trillium, Velvet are all fantastic! I'm noticing myself enjoying these creator owned titles a lot more than the normal Superheroes stuff (Sans Lemire's Green Arrow and Animal Man, Snyder/Soule's Swamp Thing, and Snyder's Batman. These books are superheroes at its finest).

Last edited by maxpower00044; 11-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #55
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

On my way to the Comic Shop!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #56
    bannar7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    These are the titles I currently pull (will answer questions about any of them):

Action Comics
    Earth 2
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    Detective
    Green Arrow
    Batman
    Collider FBP
    Superman Unchained
    Nightwing
    Batman and Robin
    Batwoman *(depends on new team)
    Batman/Superman
    Talon* (after arc December)
    Batman: Eternal
    Lil Gotham
    The Dark Knight * (after arc)
    Savage Wolverine
    Wolverine
    Punisher
    Silver Surfer
    DD
    Moonknight
    Fatale
    Nowhere Men
    East of West
    American Vampire
    Lazarus
    Jupiter's Legacy
    The Bounce
    Chin Music
    Zero
    Sex Criminals
    Pretty Deadly
    Velvet

Mini:
    Half past danger - mini
    Dream Merchant -mini
    The Wake- mini
    DD: Dark Nights - mini
    Trillium - mini
    Batman B&W

How is the new silver surfer? Worth gettting? He is one of my favorite characters

Rate Your Music
    Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #57
    bannar7

My Tour Central Stats

What are everyones favorite Cosmic Marvel titles (or events)?

Rate Your Music
    Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How is the new silver surfer? Worth gettting? He is one of my favorite characters
    That doesn't come out until March. I just have it on my list so I remember. But, it's Dan Slott, and Mike & Laura Allred. So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's gonna be pretty fantastic.

Just got back from the shop. Picked up:

Pretty Deadly
    Half Past Danger
    The Dark Knight (my last issue)
    Talon (my second to last issue)
    Savage: Wolverine
    Damian: Son of Batman
    Black Science

Last edited by maxpower00044; 11-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #59
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What are everyones favorite Cosmic Marvel titles (or events)?
    Don't know enough into Marvel to commet about this.

One thing I will suggest to any Batman fan, is Grant Morrison's 7 year run on Batman. It's collected in these trades:

The Black Glove deluxe (collects Batman and Son, and The Black Glove stories)
    Batman R.I.P.
    Final Crisis
    Batman Reborn
    Batman vs. Robin
    Time and the Batman
    The Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman and Robin Must Die!
    Batman Incorporated Vol. 1
    Batman Inc Vol. 2 (I suggest waiting for this to be collected in one book. Right now it's two books. But from what I understand Chris Burnham is going to redraw all the parts that had a fill-in artist. That's worth it enough for me.)

Last edited by maxpower00044; 11-27-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #60
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

This is for Arby (if he sees it).

If you liked Year One, you should read The Dark Knight Returns and Dare Devil: Born Again. Two more masterpieces by Frank Miller.

If you liked Watchmen, start reading Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing (his first US comics run and it's my personal favorite of his), am also The Killing Joke which is another one of his masterpieces.