Comic Book Discussion - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #91
maxpower00044
You mustn't touch

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Comic Book Discussion

The thing the sucks about DC collected editions is it's 6 months before the Hardcover comes out, and a full year before a TBP comes up. So, you'll always be a couple of arcs behind what's going on. As opposed to Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, etc. where the TBP comes out the month after the current arc is complete.

PSN: Max_Power--

Last edited by maxpower00044; 12-05-2013 at 09:51 PM.
maxpower00044 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #92
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    The thing the sucks about DC collected editions is it's 6 months before the Hardcover comes out, and a full year before a TBP comes up. So, you'll always be a couple of arcs behind what's going on. As opposed to Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, etc. where the TBP comes out the month after the current arc is complete.
    Just finished Batman Vol 1 & 2. May go buy 3 today and then order the rest online to catch me up to the curren release. Think that should catch me up. Next on my list is Superman Action Comics, The Flash and Justice League.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #93
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I think I'm starting to get an idea of how this works...So The Batman Court of Owls is all one story arc with some tie ins here and there. So it's only 2 volumes with the City of Owls compilation book as a tie in. Then from there Vol. 3 is another story arc Death of the Family that collects #13-17. THEN there's a book #18 called Requiem and from there Zero Year (another story arc) starts. So these don't all necessarily tie into each other? For instance, I wouldn't have to read the Vol. 3 Death of the Family (even though I'm going to) in order to read the new Zero Year story arc?
    Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #94
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    I think I'm starting to get an idea of how this works...So The Batman Court of Owls is all one story arc with some tie ins here and there. So it's only 2 volumes with the City of Owls compilation book as a tie in. Then from there Vol. 3 is another story arc Death of the Family that collects #13-17. THEN there's a book #18 called Requiem and from there Zero Year (another story arc) starts. So these don't all necessarily tie into each other? For instance, I wouldn't have to read the Vol. 3 Death of the Family (even though I'm going to) in order to read the new Zero Year story arc?
    As far as I know Snyder's arcs are mostly but not quite entirely self contained (as opposed to say Morrison's arcs), the not self contained bits are kind of "bonus" (cool foreshadowing, backstory, and the like).

I need to pick up Death of the Family
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #95
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post
    Yes, you will be caught up with the new 52 Batman, and can start buying new issues monthly. Night of the Owls were tie-ins that other Bat-titles did about the Talons. So one had Catwoman taking down a Talon. Another had Batwing taking down a Talon.
    And one had an absolutely badass Mr Freeze story

Last edited by Tomriddle; 12-08-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #96
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I'm looking forward to reading Death of the Family. Picked it up Friday. In the past 2 weeks I've spent more than $200 on comics...my fiancé is unaware of my excessive purchases. We're getting married in July and I'm buying volumes of The New 52 so I can catch up...priorities.
    Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #97
    DoOrDoNotNoTry

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah I'm looking forward to reading Death of the Family. Picked it up Friday. In the past 2 weeks I've spent more than $200 on comics...my fiancé is unaware of my excessive purchases. We're getting married in July and I'm buying volumes of The New 52 so I can catch up...priorities.
    Hey, at least you're not spending that money on a drug habit, at the strip club, or on prostitutes. She should be thankful!
    Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #98
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoOrDoNotNoTry View Post
    Hey, at least you're not spending that money on a drug habit, at the strip club, or on prostitutes. She should be thankful!
    That's the spirit!
    Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #99
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Just spent all day yesterday at home (w/ the flu) reading the 9 trades that are out for the new IDW TMNT series. If you were ever a fan of the turtles, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's absolutely fantastic. Best way I can describe it is samurai movies with mutated animals. It's not hokey, deals a lot with old time Japan and symbolism, and it just has great moment after great moment.

Ps. Disappointed I found this thread on the 7th page!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #100
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just spent all day yesterday at home (w/ the flu) reading the 9 trades that are out for the new IDW TMNT series. If you were ever a fan of the turtles, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's absolutely fantastic. Best way I can describe it is samurai movies with mutated animals. It's not hokey, deals a lot with old time Japan and symbolism, and it just has great moment after great moment.

Ps. Disappointed I found this thread on the 7th page!
    Yeah I was beginning to talk to myself so I dropped off for a bit hahaha.

Been reading the New 52 Green Lantern trades. Just started Vol. 2. It's pretty good so far. Gets a little confusing here and there but for the most part it's really entertaining. I have so many trades to read that I'm starting one and then another and another and losing myself a bit. I am so anxious to catch up but I need to slow down and enjoy them.

Looking forward to reading the Batman: Detective Comics trades. I read up to where they cut the Joker's face off. Wanted to read these first before starting Death of the Family. REALLY want to catch up and start reading the Year Zero books.

Haven't started Superman: Action Comics yet and haven't started Flash. I finished Court of Owls and City of Owls and those were great.

My fiance and I are living with the future in-laws until we get married in July and it can be hard to read sometimes. A rather busy/loud house which is really frustrating. I got home early yesterday because of the snow and I couldn't wait to just sit and read. Her father got home and wouldn't shut up. Every time he walked by me he had to say something. I'm thinking - seriously dude? I have a book directly in front of my face. SHUT UP! 7 more months....7 more months.

Loving these books though. So Death of a Family was the last Batman story arc right? Right after that, if I'm following correctly, Batman: Year Zero started. So is that still running and when it's done 6 months later they'll all be collected in a full book? Think I'm starting to get the hang of this a little.

Last edited by KevinTH; 12-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #101
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Yup Vol 3. DOTF and vol 4. (Not in trade yet) will collect the first arc of Zero Year (it's broken up into three arc with one over arching arc playing through all of them).

I don't read Green Lantern, but I'm pretty sure in order to get the full experience you need to read ALL of Johns' GL stuff. Nine years worth of books.

Oh, it's Wednesday!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #102
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yup Vol 3. DOTF and vol 4. (Not in trade yet) will collect the first arc of Zero Year (it's broken up into three arc with one over arching arc playing through all of them).

I don't read Green Lantern, but I'm pretty sure in order to get the full experience you need to read ALL of Johns' GL stuff. Nine years worth of books.

Oh, it's Wednesday!
    Nice. That sucks about Green Lantern. My understanding of the New 52 was that no matter what character you should be able to jump in and follow along. I'm going to give Green Lantern a fair shot and I suppose I'll look into reading some older stuff to fill in some of the gaps. I REALLY want to get into the Flash for sure. Haven't started reading those yet. These writers sure know how to confuse a new reader though.
    Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #103
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

So i read Hawkeye: My life as a weapon. It was great. Really surprised how much i liked it.

I think i want to read either V: for Vendetta or From Hell next.

Last edited by bradshaw06; 12-18-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #104
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

So I just read The Dark Knight Returns and loved it. What other Batman books should I be looking to read now, and in what order? I know it's been discussed here, but wondering if someone could give me a set list I can go off?

Thanks all for re-kindling my love for comics, y'all. I was way into them as a kid, and now the most intimidating part is knowing where to start.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #105
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    So I just read The Dark Knight Returns and loved it. What other Batman books should I be looking to read now, and in what order? I know it's been discussed here, but wondering if someone could give me a set list I can go off?

Thanks all for re-kindling my love for comics, y'all. I was way into them as a kid, and now the most intimidating part is knowing where to start.
    If you liked the Dark Knight Returns, you should definitely read Batman: Year One and the Long Halloween (in that order). Those plus TDKR form sort of a Batman Holy Trinity for a lot of readers, and they're all sort of in the same vein.

Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth is also considered one of The Canonical Great Batman Stories, but it's in a very different style from TDKR, so you might love it or might not, proceed with caution.

If you want to get in on some current stuff, Scott Snyder's current run on Batman is pretty much universally acknowledged to be excellent. His main story so far consists of three books (Court of Owls, City of Owls, Death in the Family, in that order.) He also has an additional book called The Black Mirror which is not related to the main three (and stars Dick Grayson as Batman instead of Bruce) but it's my favorite of his.
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #106
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    If you liked the Dark Knight Returns, you should definitely read Batman: Year One and the Long Halloween (in that order). Those plus TDKR form sort of a Batman Holy Trinity for a lot of readers, and they're all sort of in the same vein.

Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth is also considered one of The Canonical Great Batman Stories, but it's in a very different style from TDKR, so you might love it or might not, proceed with caution.

If you want to get in on some current stuff, Scott Snyder's current run on Batman is pretty much universally acknowledged to be excellent. His main story so far consists of three books (Court of Owls, City of Owls, Death in the Family, in that order.) He also has an additional book called The Black Mirror which is not related to the main three (and stars Dick Grayson as Batman instead of Bruce) but it's my favorite of his.
    Thanks man I'll start with Year One next, then on to Long Halloween.

Thanks for clearing up the order of the New 52 stuff. Seen 'em thrown around in here but unsure of the order. I'll do those three next. I'll definitely give Arkham Asylum a shot as well as Black Mirror.

Last edited by fonzz41; 12-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #107
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

^Sorry, "Death IN the Family" was supposed to read "Death OF the Family," my bad. "Death IN the Family" is another, entirely unrelated story

But no prob, happy reading
    Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #108
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post

I support this statement.

Oh, and The Killing Joke.

Last edited by maxpower00044; 12-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #109
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks man I'll start with Year One next, then on to Long Halloween.

Thanks for clearing up the order of the New 52 stuff. Seen 'em thrown around in here but unsure of the order. I'll do those three next. I'll definitely give Arkham Asylum a shot as well as Black Mirror.
    Long Halloween is so good! My favorite of all the Batman books. I read those a few years back and then stopped reading. So aside from some Batman books I'm really new to this too and really get what you mean by learning where to start. Pretty overwhelming. Batman is pretty easy to catch on to. I'm trying to figure out where to start with Superman, Green Lantern and The Flash.
    Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #110
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Any of you guys read Gotham Central by Brubaker and Rucka? That's some great stuff. Police procedural set in the Gotham City. Batman is in it but only in cameos, but his scenes kick so much ass.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #111
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any of you guys read Gotham Central by Brubaker and Rucka? That's some great stuff. Police procedural set in the Gotham City. Batman is in it but only in cameos, but his scenes kick so much ass.
    Never heard of it. Maybe they'll use it for some inspiration in the upcoming Fox show Gotham.
    Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #112
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It's been covered, but Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Killing Joke and Hush are all amazing.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #113
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Never heard of it. Maybe they'll use it for some inspiration in the upcoming Fox show Gotham.
    Well, in these story's Gordon is actually retired. He retired for a few years around a decade ago. But, I can see them using some stuff.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #114
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Long Halloween is so good! My favorite of all the Batman books. I read those a few years back and then stopped reading. So aside from some Batman books I'm really new to this too and really get what you mean by learning where to start. Pretty overwhelming. Batman is pretty easy to catch on to. I'm trying to figure out where to start with Superman, Green Lantern and The Flash.
    Yeah, props for starting this thread, it has really helped.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    It's been covered, but Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Killing Joke and Hush are all amazing.
    Thanks! In what sequence should I read the last 3 in relation to each other and the other titles mentioned?
    Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #115
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, props for starting this thread, it has really helped.

Thanks! In what sequence should I read the last 3 in relation to each other and the other titles mentioned?
    Dark Victory is the sequel to Long Halloween. Hush and Killing Joke are their own stories. Killing Joke is a short origin story of the Joker written by Alan Moore. Moore is my favorite writer and it's very well done.

Speaking of Moore, just finished reading through his Swamp Thing run. What he did with that story/character is amazing. Turned a dopey character and story fit for a 70s B-movie and made Shakespearean literature out of it. So fucking good. I couldn't recommend those books more.

Next books I want to start reading are Grant Morrison's Animal Man.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #116
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I was huge into comics in the 90s..... in the "Superman is Dead" and "Spawn" era. That lead me to buying the classic comics....early Spidermans, Xmens, Wolverines, etc
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #117
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    I was huge into comics in the 90s..... in the "Superman is Dead" and "Spawn" era. That lead me to buying the classic comics....early Spidermans, Xmens, Wolverines, etc
    Spawn is what turned me on to comics. It was the HBO show actually is what I first saw, which made me want to start reading the stories.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #118
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wampa3 View Post
    Dark Victory is the sequel to Long Halloween. Hush and Killing Joke are their own stories. Killing Joke is a short origin story of the Joker written by Alan Moore. Moore is my favorite writer and it's very well done.

Speaking of Moore, just finished reading through his Swamp Thing run. What he did with that story/character is amazing. Turned a dopey character and story fit for a 70s B-movie and made Shakespearean literature out of it. So fucking good. I couldn't recommend those books more.

Next books I want to start reading are Grant Morrison's Animal Man.
    Moore's Swamp Thing is without a doubt one of my favorite thing is comics. I'm up to Vol 5. Just bought it last week but haven't read it yet.

Morrison's Animal Man is brilliant, I borrowed them so I haven't bought them myself, but I've been meaning to.

Really, anything by these two is a guaranteed good time. Two of my favorite writers.

Last edited by maxpower00044; 12-19-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #119
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Not to derail the Batman talk, but does anyone read the Berserk graphic novels? (I hate calling it manga because that makes people think of either tentacle porn or sailor moon.) I remember watching the series in Japanese, some really dark stuff. Just started reading the comics and liking it a lot so far.

Last edited by Haiku Jimi; 12-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Haiku Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #120
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Never read any Manga. Although I hear great things about "Lone Wolf and Cub".