Buying a new tv... - Page 42 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #1231
redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Buying a new tv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I think if you're the only person going to watch, consider one.
Otherwise I don't get them, anyone not dead center will have one side of the tv going off axis more quickly than it would with a flat panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
I'm not a fan at all. I was just looking for a new TV and I was annoyed at how hard it is to find a "high end" flat TV now. There are some new ones coming out finally now that it looks like the curved fad is fading, but they aren't quite out yet. I looked at some curved TV's at Best Buy and I was annoyed with the way they reflect light in addition to the things Doby mentioned.

I'm moving into a new house next month and I needed a new TV for a main floor great room (windows, open concept with kitchen). Decided on the Samsung JS8500 65" 4k. It's their top non-curved (flat) TV and they just dropped the price to $2000 recently. For that price it's fairly impressive since it supports HDR and is supposed to have pretty good image quality for that price point. And since it's going in a brightly lit open room I think it will do the job pretty well. It won't be used for critical watching. I still have my Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma in the basement for that.
Cool cool, thanks for the info to both of you. Based on all that I'll likely stick with the regular flat screen... I'm thinking Samsung 4k as well but the 55 inch...the room I'd be putting it in is kinda narrow, so I can't go too big

Jen
redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #1232
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    Finally got everything setup in the new media room. TV is on a spare coffee table and all the AV is on the floor. Ran all the speaker wire under the baseboards last night in time to fire up Fargo. New couch is delivered tomorrow. Next pickup is a new TV stand. Any recommendations?
    Can you wall mount it? Leaves you more room underneath it for center channel, etc.
    Old 11-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #1233
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Can't wall mount. It's one of those pitched /----\ shaped bonus rooms.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #1234
    Jsc6545

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Buying a new tv...

Any thoughts on the UN55JU6400?

I know it's the baseline entry level Samsung 4k, but I'm not looking to spend that much and I want at least 55" from a quality brand. Was looking to stay under $1000 total including tax, and this one is $800. Rtings gives it a 7.7 overall with great for gaming and sports, but shitty for movies. It looks good in the store... How bad can it be?

I live in a one bedroom apartment, this would be for the living room area.
    Jsc6545 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #1235
    redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jsc6545 View Post
    Any thoughts on the UN55JU6400?

I know it's the baseline entry level Samsung 4k, but I'm not looking to spend that much and I want at least 55" from a quality brand. Was looking to stay under $1000 total including tax, and this one is $800. Rtings gives it a 7.7 overall with great for gaming and sports, but shitty for movies. It looks good in the store... How bad can it be?

I live in a one bedroom apartment, this would be for the living room area.
    This is the exact one I am considering. I agree looked great in the store the other day.

Does the 120 vs 240 motion rate make a big difference? This one has 120 so I was looking for something with the 240 but I'm not sure how big a deal that is

Jen
    redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #1236
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Refresh rate affects motion resolution very little, no more than a couple percentage points. As long as its divisible by 24 you're good for movies.

Keep in mind that most store lighting is 10x higher than what you may experience at home and not a useful indicator of TV performance.

Find a specialty AV dealer rather than a big box store and you may have a better chance of seeing the TV in realistic lighting. Ask to see it playing Blu-ray, not some crappy in store feed. Check the settings, lots of times a realy good TV might be in shit-mode (store display/vivid/etc) and look garbage and blown out when a few adjustments will make the difference.

Read prosumer reviews to get a better idea of the differences. I know people often say it's important to audition equipment with your own eyes and ears but with video if you don't know all the things that may be causing a set to appear better or worse than it really is you may not get the thrilling picture at home you thought you were getting in store.

Home Theater Mag, cNet, online forums, all valuable tools.
    Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #1237
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

My parents needed a good budget tv for the living room. They wanted to spend $300 but I just bought this for them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...8gaAkH38P8HAQ#

And this for my bedroom.
    http://www.bestbuy.com//site/lg-43-c...&skuId=4549300
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #1238
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Mine is sealed and it's been my favorite speaker since I bought it December 2006. If I didn't care about music then I would likely go ported just to get more overall output and oomph, but a good sealed sub will have absolutely no issues making explosions real.

I had a buddy with two SVS cylinders and it was pretty amazing the sheer output, but he was really surprised when we watched War of the Worlds the first attack scene at my place, that it was just one sub. He was substantially more impressed when I played "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" from Billy Joel's "The Stranger" in 5.1 [SACD]. Extremely low distortion at higher output levels and I never have my sub higher than 50% gain.

I hope some day to add a second sub, especially if I can find another Paradigm Servo 15v2 used.
    Yeah, sealed is where I was leaning. I've been eyeing Rhythmik subs for my home theater based on the raving reviews they get on the AV forums. 2 of these should do nicely:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15HP.html
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #1239
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'm thinking about getting one of the below. Any suggestions? Should I spend the extra money on the 4k?

http://www.hhgregg.com/sony-43-4k-ul...tem/XBR43X830C

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL40W600.../dp/B00HPMCO46
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #1240
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I'm thinking about getting one of the below. Any suggestions? Should I spend the extra money on the 4k?

I have the 2nd one coming tomorrow. IMO not enough is being shot in 4k for me to go out and get one right now.
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #1241
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    I have the 2nd one coming tomorrow. IMO not enough is being shot in 4k for me to go out and get one right now.
    Do you think it will catch on or will it be like 3D TV which never really picked up?
    Old 11-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #1242
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you think it will catch on or will it be like 3D TV which never really picked up?
    I think it'll catch on. But i'm honestly not sure. I'm sure someone in here knows much more about it than I do. I'm just going off of what i've been learning in class.
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #1243
    bamadavefan15

My Tour Central Stats

Buying a new tv...

Quote:

If you use streaming services, 4K is already making appearances a few places. Most YouTube channels I sub to are 4K. Some Netflix is. And more will be.

It'll eventually catch on everywhere at some point and 4K is probably the highest we will see for TV sets because more isn't needed at normal distances. So personally I'm holding off a few years and will probably get an 60-65 inch OLED 4K for the living room and that'll be it for a good while. I got a 43in 4K LG as a bedroom TV in the future but right now it's in my living room because the couch is really close to the TV. It's super nice for $400

Last edited by bamadavefan15; 11-29-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Old 11-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #1244
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, buying a TV for my parents for xmas. Have a 70" one of these set aside at Costco for me to go pick up. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/e-series-2015 for $1200.99 after taxes.

They have a gigantic living room. Built in shelving with a 71 wide by 40 tall space for the tv. This one fits with a bit of room for the cable box and blu ray player. They're half blind and sit 12 to 16 feet away depending on if one is at the desk where my dad spends a lot of time. 4K is not a consideration sinc e they don't have the bandwidth for it and are not going to buy any media. They watch those terrible reality shows like the voice and some football and baseball. Rarely some movies with my nephews.

Anyone know of or see any other options that might be better option for them in that general price range? I think size is more important to them than real picture quality.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #1245
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    If you use streaming services, 4K is already making appearances a few places. Most YouTube channels I sub to are 4K. Some Netflix is. And more will be.

It'll eventually catch on everywhere at some point and 4K is probably the highest we will see for TV sets because more isn't needed at normal distances. So personally I'm holding off a few years and will probably get an 60-65 inch OLED 4K for the living room and that'll be it for a good while. I got a 43in 4K LG as a bedroom TV in the future but right now it's in my living room because the couch is really close to the TV. It's super nice for $400
    A 43" tv for your bedroom??

Jesus
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #1246
    bamadavefan15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post

Jesus

It was actually the perfect size in there. I miss it in the bedroom, but I moved the old tv from the living room in there as a compromise.
    Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #1247
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Jesus
    I have a 50 inch in our bedroom. My bedroom is pretty large though so its not overbearing in there. I have way too many big tvs in my house haha.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #1248
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My plasma blew up a few months ago and I went 4K in the replacement. It was $250 more than the LED of the same size. Very happy with it. Sports look great, everything looks great. I'm not super hung up on finding 4K material, but it's on Netflix for me.

I went warranty too for $200 more, figure 4 years no worries was a good deal.

Edit, no bedroom tv.

Double edit, bought mine at Best Buy with their credit card, paid it off in under 14 days and got a $100 gift certificate. Also a$50 at the register so, $150 in coupons basically paid for the warranty.
    Look for deals like this is what I try to do with any larger purchase.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....

Last edited by Climb2safety; 11-30-2015 at 06:42 AM.
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1249
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Jesus
    I don't really think a 43 in the bedroom is that crazy. Obviously it all depends on the size of the room though. My room is fairly large and I got a very good deal on a 65 inch, and it is in my bedroom. I previously had a 55 which was more or less the perfect size for the room. Moving up 10 inches was a noticeable difference, and it is a bit too big now, but the TV looks great so I've been dealing with it.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #1250
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    I think it'll catch on. But i'm honestly not sure. I'm sure someone in here knows much more about it than I do. I'm just going off of what i've been learning in class.
    4k will absolutely catch on. It is the future of video. It may take longer to become the standard than HD did, but it will absolutely become the standard at some point.
    Old 11-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #1251
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I've got a 50" in my bedroom. Previously had a 46" but moved that to the guest room when I got this one.
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #1252
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Jesus
    I have a 40" TV in my bedroom now as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    I have a 50 inch in our bedroom. My bedroom is pretty large though so its not overbearing in there. I have way too many big tvs in my house haha.
    This.
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #1253
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

We had a 48 in our bedroom. We switched it out for a smaller one though because it wouldn't fit hung in between two doors. Now the 48 collects dust in a guest bedroom.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #1254
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

43" in bedroom. 65" in bonus room. Nothing in living room. (plan to remedy this shortly)
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #1255
    Rebecca De Mornay
    HateAllThingsElijah

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

in my new place I have a 50" in my bedroom and a 75" in my living room.

all depends how close you are to the TV whether it's normal or not.
    Wow guys, I wasn't at this show, but just listened to your Halloween. Damn, raw AF! I bet it was incredible live, Timmys outro was bad-ass!!!! Gotta listen to the rest of this show, setlist is on point.
    Rebecca De Mornay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #1256
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

True dat, screen size is completely irrelevant without source resolution and viewing distance in the equation.
    Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #1257
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I've got a 50" in my bedroom. Previously had a 46" but moved that to the guest room when I got this one.
    Note: Ask to stay in Matt's guest room when visiting Austin.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #1258
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

It's a Panny plasma too.
    Old 11-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #1259
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

It's a Panny plasma too.
    Even better!
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #1260
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Samsung 65" JS8500 was delivered today. Hooked up the 4k Amazon Fire TV. Overall it looks pretty good. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but "out of the box" I'm pretty happy with my first 4k TV. Just need to find more 4k content to watch.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote