Buying a new tv... - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #121
Markt23

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Buying a new tv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
With Vizio they are licensing patents (and parts, they don't make much themselves) from players like Sony and Samsung 3 or more years behind...so the first gen Vizio LED's will be using the technology that Samsung was using in the LN-T4081F which came out late 2006/early 2007.

Personally I would steer clear of Vizio, they are still a Chinese company with a US front and should they ever get stuck in a patent issue for using tech that isn't licensed at some point they'll simply drop the Vizio name and go with another company front and no warranties will be honored. In addition when your TV goes over the 1-year mark there will be no parts available for repairs as I've heard numerous times....so that might be the one name-brand TV that you should seriously consider an extended warranty on. With Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc., there's very little need for an extended warranty as in the odd case of a repair outside manufacturer's warranty there's still tonnes of parts.

China actually tried to pass a law not too long ago that all foreign companies manufacturing there had to have a Chinese partner (ie - Vizio) with full access to the IP (so they didn't have to do any work at all). That went over like a brick.

Better to spend a little more for proper support and better quality. That's just my opinion though, YMMV. I'm surprised Vizio has lasted this long, but I guess they're working very hard reluctantly to play by the rules before they pull another Apex/Cyberhome.
Wow.. thanks for the information. You see a nice price and automatically think that's the way to go. What are your thoughts on getting plasma, prices seem to be dropping, should I go with a plasma for now and hit up the LED in a few years when the prices come down?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #122
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markt23 View Post
    Wow.. thanks for the information. You see a nice price and automatically think that's the way to go. What are your thoughts on getting plasma, prices seem to be dropping, should I go with a plasma for now and hit up the LED in a few years when the prices come down?
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got a plasma and in a few years had no desire to replace it.

Next week all the new TV's for 2010 will be announced at CES, so I'd wait and take a look at what's on the horizon. Panasonic are supposed to announce the new NeoPDPeco panels which include Pioneer Kuro technology and if they're as good as they're purporting to be then they'll be the best sets on the market and will probably have amazing price tags too.
    Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #123
    Markt23

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got a plasma and in a few years had no desire to replace it.

Next week all the new TV's for 2010 will be announced at CES, so I'd wait and take a look at what's on the horizon. Panasonic are supposed to announce the new NeoPDPeco panels which include Pioneer Kuro technology and if they're as good as they're purporting to be then they'll be the best sets on the market and will probably have amazing price tags too.
    I think I am going to go down that road, Panasonic Viera G15. Thank for the help
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #124
    jkrue22
    What it means

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Well, with 24, Lost, and the Super Bowl just around the corner, it's finally time to enter the HDTV market. I just bought this 42" Samsung plasma today from Amazon (free tax and shipping FTW!):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42B4.../dp/B001ULBPAM

I did a lot of research and I'm really excited to try this baby out on Wednesday! (sick day?) Any thoughts on this model? I'll let you know how it turns out...
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #125
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I'm debating on 2 TVs to upgrade to.
    Either:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B00267PY6K

or

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P...3309028&sr=1-1

My debate is if there is a huge difference between a 50" and 54" TV. Money is indeed a factor, both are within my price range (though the 54" is at the top).

Doby, do you have any suggestions?
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #126
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think I may be putting a new TV on hold, the house we're getting is more than we had wanted to spend so any extra money we had is going to the house itself. Still want a 50" Panasonic plasma though (it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine).
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #127
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    Either:

or

My debate is if there is a huge difference between a 50" and 54" TV. Money is indeed a factor, both are within my price range (though the 54" is at the top).

Once you get them home they always seem smaller, so I'd go with the 54. It's only money.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #128
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkrue22 View Post
    Well, with 24, Lost, and the Super Bowl just around the corner, it's finally time to enter the HDTV market. I just bought this 42" Samsung plasma today from Amazon (free tax and shipping FTW!):

I did a lot of research and I'm really excited to try this baby out on Wednesday! (sick day?) Any thoughts on this model? I'll let you know how it turns out...
    Excellent TV. I have the 50" version.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #129
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joruus View Post
    Either:

or

There isn't a lot of difference between the two models other that the thinness of the panel.

The new sets coming out in 3~5 months are going to be supremely black. If you're not in a rush, I'd consider waiting for the new G20 and VT25 series. They have Pioneer Kuro technology in them and will really take contrast levels and black levels way beyond anyone else out there.

Just a thought...otherwise if you don't want to wait I'd go with the bigger size if it's between the G10 and G15, but see if the V10 is within your budget as it has better black levels than the G-series and it has the one sheet of glass design in the 50 and 54" models where the glass goes right to the edge on top of the bezel, very sexy, very sleek.
    Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #130
    41ravens
    Now We Go

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

you know what sucks? knowing that i could run out and get some kickass plasma for about the same price i paid for my 42" lcd 2 years ago. technological advances can suck my balls.

Thank you. Thank you for your honesty.
    Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag.
    41ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #131
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 41ravens View Post
    you know what sucks? knowing that i could run out and get some kickass plasma for about the same price i paid for my 42" lcd 2 years ago. technological advances can suck my balls.
    I'm a victim too. For what I paid on a 42" DLP 4 and a half years ago I could get myself one of the biggest sized plasmas.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #132
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I cannot even look at the Best Buy ads because they piss me off.

I paid 450 for my 360 Elite.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #133
    jkrue22
    What it means

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This has always been the case though. Think about how far computers have come in the last decade. I remember when our family got our first PC in like 95 - 233 MHZ with MMX (what did that even mean?). 6.5 GB HD = WAYYYY more than we'd ever use.

That's one reason I've been holding off on buying a TV for as long as possible... the longer you wait, the better/cheaper they get.

But look on the bright side: you've been watching a good HDTV for the last couple years, while I've been squinting at a 25" CRT set from across the room.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #134
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This has always been the case though. Think about how far computers have come in the last decade. I remember when our family got our first PC in like 95 - 233 MHZ with MMX (what did that even mean?). 6.5 GB HD = WAYYYY more than we'd ever use.

That's one reason I've been holding off on buying a TV for as long as possible... the longer you wait, the better/cheaper they get.

But look on the bright side: you've been watching a good HDTV for the last couple years, while I've been squinting at a 25" CRT set from across the room.
    Hopefully the delivery guy doesn't drop your box on the way to your house.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #135
    jkrue22
    What it means

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    Hopefully the delivery guy doesn't drop your box on the way to your house.
    Haha I would go on him.

Just set up the delivery: tomorrow between 10 and 2! I will salt the icy sidewalk to make sure he doesn't slip.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #136
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yup.

I have a 42" Samsung 720p plasma that I bought in November 2006, and at the time 720p was super popular because 1080p wasn't as predominant as it is now. I also got my TV on a killer sale, and still for the price of what I paid then, I could have a sick 1080p HDTV now. But, it's still a great TV, and I will be able to move that baby to the bedroom once I upgrade the home theater with a new TV soon-ish.

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #137
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yes but you've had better blacks and better contrast with that CRT!

Shame they're so frickin' heavy, because those HD CRT's are only bested by the top of the line plasma's and more recently the top of the line LED-backlit LED's (provided you're not sitting off axis).

Plasma ftw.

Last edited by dobyblue; 01-12-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #138
    jkrue22
    What it means

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It came today (<2 days for free shipping!) and it looks beautiful. I just watched The Killers live show on Palladia to break it in, and even the factory speakers sounded better than I expected (when properly adjusted/equalized). Highly recommend this TV for anyone looking to get a solid entry-level plasma on the cheap!
    Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #139
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It came today (<2 days for free shipping!) and it looks beautiful. I just watched The Killers live show on Palladia to break it in, and even the factory speakers sounded better than I expected (when properly adjusted/equalized). Highly recommend this TV for anyone looking to get a solid entry-level plasma on the cheap!

I love my PN50B450.

Make sure you key down the brightness for the first 200 hours or so. I noticed that mine was super bright right out of the box.

Head over to the AVS forums (or just google "pn42b450 settings" and it will be one of the first links) and they have the recommended break in settings. They also have the break in slides most people use to break it in.
    Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #140
    jkrue22
    What it means

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post

I love my PN50B450.

Make sure you key down the brightness for the first 200 hours or so. I noticed that mine was super bright right out of the box.

Head over to the AVS forums (or just google "pn42b450 settings" and it will be one of the first links) and they have the recommended break in settings. They also have the break in slides most people use to break it in.
    Awesome thanks I meant to look for that info but got easily distracted for obvious reasons.
    Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #141
    CHUCKYRAY

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Is there anyway possible that a 720p could have a better picture than a 1080p. The biggest I could go right now is 32" and when I go to the stores and look there's not much difference at that size. Also there is a 32" 1080p Vizio at Wal-mart for $398. Below it is a 720p Samsung for about $50 more and looks like it has a better picture on the DVD or whatever they are playing. I was wondering if it could just be the setting that they have each on or if 720p vs 1080p didn't really matter a lot at that size.
    CHUCKYRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #142
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHUCKYRAY View Post
    Is there anyway possible that a 720p could have a better picture than a 1080p. The biggest I could go right now is 32" and when I go to the stores and look there's not much difference at that size. Also there is a 32" 1080p Vizio at Wal-mart for $398. Below it is a 720p Samsung for about $50 more and looks like it has a better picture on the DVD or whatever they are playing. I was wondering if it could just be the setting that they have each on or if 720p vs 1080p didn't really matter a lot at that size.
    At 32"... go 720p. At that size there is really no need for 1080p. Plus fact that you should always buy a Samsung over a Vizio,
    Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #143
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, those are store floor models. They are cranked up in brightness and contrast to create a better picture. That TV wouldn't last more than a year with 'torch mode' settings.

Last edited by Ascf33; 01-19-2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #144
    foosball
    2+2=5

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Just tossing this out, as well...
    Plasma is a dying breed. I have heard from a few people that the technology will be done within 1.5 years. It is too costly, and the prices are falling out.
    I had a plasma last year (LG). The picture was sick, but is had "ghosting" issues. I did not abuse the TV at all. Watched ESPNews for an hour, and would change it per this. The measures I took for the TV were ridiculous Still, the bars for the channel froze on my screen. This is VERY common.
    Go LCD. 1080p if you're going 42" or bigger. Base the screen size off of the room size. I have above 46" for both my TV rooms. LG and a Sony Bravia. Love both. Neither have had issues. I give a slight nod to my LG.
    Also, if you're looking for a TV sound structure... Tough call. The new line of TV's aren't truly set-up for sound. They are only meant for backing. Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by foosball; 01-19-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    foosball is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #145
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Plasma is a dying breed. I have heard from a few people that the technology will be done within 1.5 years. It is too costly, and the prices are falling out.
    I had a plasma last year (LG). The picture was sick, but is had "ghosting" issues. I did not abuse the TV at all. Watched ESPNews for an hour, and would change it per this. The measures I took for the TV were ridiculous Still, the bars for the channel froze on my screen. This is VERY common.
    Go LCD. 1080p if you're going 42" or bigger. Base the screen size off of the room size. I have above 46" for both my TV rooms. LG and a Sony Bravia. Love both. Neither have had issues. I give a slight nod to my LG.
    Also, if you're looking for a TV sound structure... Tough call. The new line of TV's aren't truly set-up for sound. They are only meant for backing. Hope that helps a little.

There is no better picture on the market than a Plasma television. With some common sense, ghosting can easily be avoided.
    Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #146
    foosball
    2+2=5

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    There is no better picture on the market than a Plasma television. With some common sense, ghosting can easily be avoided.
    Completely agree. That said, for the problems they have, not worth it. Like I said, I have had one, and it was not worth it. Took it back. Did you read that I changed the channel every hour, just to avoid said issue? I went in to ownership knowing the pros and cons.
    My friend had his lose complete picture after a thrown hat contacted it. Owner error, no doubt.
    Do I love the picture? Yes. Worth the hassle? Nope. Also, they cannot handle light in a room.
    Love my LCD.
    Plasma sets are now less expensive than comparable LCD's. Still wouldn't go that route.
    After my last Plasma, I will not go that route again.

Last edited by foosball; 01-19-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    foosball is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #147
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I think I'm still going plasma on my next set.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #148
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

I love my Plasma. I've had 0 problems with it in 14 months.
    Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #149
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    I think I'm still going plasma on my next set.
    Me too, it will be going in a basement, the perfect place for a plasma set.
    Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #150
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Go LCD. 1080p if you're going 42" or bigger. Base the screen size off of the room size. I have above 46" for both my TV rooms.
    The bolded part explains your problems, but LG's new sets are actually looking pretty good even though I'd choose Panasonic or Samsung ahead of them. They seem to be looking for a higher end market. Keep in mind, LG used to manufacture Goldstar equipment...so that's right in line with Magnavox, Sylvania, etc.

Now to take exception to the rest of your post....plasma sales have been increasing steadily year over year globally and in fact in 2008 during the recession plasma was the ONLY display technology that saw a year over year increase. If you base whether or not a breed is dying on sales figures, your statement is clearly wrong. Discerning viewers choose plasma.

I don't know which people you've been hearing from, but did you know that Panasonic just opened up its FIFTH plasma factory?

http://broadcastengineering.com/news...ma-panel-0104/

Quote:
    Jan 2010

Panasonic held a ceremony in Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture last week to mark the completion of a major new plasma display panel plant.

The new facility is capable of producing the world’s largest plasma displays at 330cm x 190cm. It is designed to shore up Panasonic’s plasma display business, which is lagging behind its liquid crystal display panel output.

The new plant began trial production in November, six months behind schedule due to low demand because of the recession. The factory will begin commercial production this month, with an initial monthly rate equivalent to 120,000 units of 42in panels.

Panasonic’s monthly production of plasma panels at its three plants in Amagasaki will expand to 1.06 million units
    Panasonic had trouble keeping the amazing V10 series in stock in larger sizes, this will rectify that and allow for ample supply of the VT25 series 3DTV's to be in stock.

I wouldn't base your screen size on your room size...but rather directly on your viewing distance and what resolution you'll be watching.

Quote:
    Is there anyway possible that a 720p could have a better picture than a 1080p.
    Absolutely, panel resolution should be WAYYYY down your list of attributes, far behind calibration options, connectivity (does it suit your system's set-up), ANSI-measured contrast ratio (not ridiculous manufacture provided "dynamic" contrast ratios which are as useful as a kick square in the bollocks), colour accuracy, video processing (how does it handle interlaced content, 3:2 sources, etc.) - these are all far more important to consider. A 720p Pioneer Kuro from 2008 (PDP-5080FD) beat out 6 other 1080p displays for best picture in the Home Media Magazine's 2008 HDTV display shootout from Sony, Samsung, JVC, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:
    Completely agree. That said, for the problems they have, not worth it. Like I said, I have had one, and it was not worth it. Took it back. Did you read that I changed the channel every hour, just to avoid said issue? I went in to ownership knowing the pros and cons.
    My friend had his lose complete picture after a thrown hat contacted it. Owner error, no doubt.
    Do I love the picture? Yes. Worth the hassle? Nope. Also, they cannot handle light in a room.
    Love my LCD.
    Plasma sets are now less expensive than comparable LCD's. Still wouldn't go that route.
    After my last Plasma, I will not go that route again.
    Most people I know that own plasma can game on COD4 for hours on end without suffering any burn in. I think you may have had a lemon, it's entirely possible. Burn in is a thing of the past with plasma unless you try your absolute hardest to wreck it, like leaving a test pattern on the screen for a week.

Consumer Reports (which I only use for reliability ratings, everything else is useless for someone concerned primarily with picture attributes) lists the major plasma manufacturers sets as having the same failure rates as the LCD's. No difference. Usually around 2%.

Plasma isn't going anywhere, LCD is the global leader of course and that won't change for a long time given the sizes they come in (all 15", 17", etc., monitors for PC's are counted in LCD global sales) but plasma is still the #1 choice for those looking for the best picture and now at the best prices. I have a hard time enjoying LCD, I can't help but see the motion blurring and innaccurate picture, the blacks in a dark room are the most disturbing...watchnig somethign like "The Fifth Element" on an LCD is painful as it's dark, dark grey. On a Kuro, the bezel just disappears into the room, as will the upcoming VT25 series plasmas from Panasonic.

The LED backlit LCD's have fixed most of the contrast issues, you can now get really nice deep blacks on an LED-backlit set (not sidelit though, BACK-lit) with local dimming but the motion resolution is only corrected by using motion interpolation and that just looks weird to me, probably because motion interpolation creates artifacting. Turn it off and you're stuck back down at around 500/1080 lines of motion resolution resolved! In addition you have to sit dead centre on an LED set to get good ANSI contrast readings...I like everyone in the room to see as good a picture as I'm seeing which again brings me back to plasma.