***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 122 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #3631
jackisback24
He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/health...men/index.html
jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #3632
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackisback24 View Post
    Yeah, on one hand it's great that there is more interest and hopefully that leads to more conservation but on the other hand, I've never had to carry out more of other people's trash before.

Whitney has become so bad that it can take a year or two to get an overnight and people are shitting all over the place and not cleaning it up. Normal trails in the sierras are really crowded and folks are trying to turn it into an Appalachian experience a bit and it's just not the same thing.

It's one of the reasons I want to thru at least the Muir soon because who knows what it's going to be like over the next decade. I grew up doing this so it never really occurred to me until our last Whitney two years ago how things had caught on.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #3633
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    bumping this post, as my trip is approaching and i still haven't nabbed a camera

recent suggestions have been the nikon d5500

anyone have anything to offer? looking to try and "full proof" myself for 5-7 years in buying a camera. i have decent knowledge of the technical stuff, so something lower mid-range is ideal.
    anyone ?
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #3634
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

want my nikon d50?

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #3635
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone ?
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-dslrs,review-2218.html
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #3636
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone ?
    I wouldn't change my recommendation at all. The tXi series from canon is a great slr with excellent lens choices. I'm sure there's a Nikon equiv but I haven't shot Nikon since film.

I saw an sl1 which is the tiny canon dslr that my girlfriend uses for $250 used with about 2000 shutter count the other day. I wouldn't hesitate on something like that if I needed another one. Canon tXi in your budget body plus a 55-250ISII, 40MM pancake and a 10-22 is a hell of a combination for the money and I wouldn't blink about buying them used from somewhere like PotN.

I would personally stay away from that 300 from canon though compared to the 55-250 I mentioned. I also don't care for any of the cheap 18-55mm'ish canon lenses. The 10-22 and 40 is so much at their respective ranges that it's not worth it unless you just don't want to carry the other lenses. If that's the case then there's little choice.

New is fine too but might need to wait a while on the 10-22 as they are expensive new. Used market is robust. Lots of photographers buy a lens, use it for a few months and sell it for a loss that would be less than renting.
    Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #3637
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    yeah, that's what i've been reading.

toss up with 70d. canon seems to have the edge in video and AF. low light seems to be a wash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    I wouldn't change my recommendation at all. The tXi series from canon is a great slr with excellent lens choices. I'm sure there's a Nikon equiv but I haven't shot Nikon since film.

I saw an sl1 which is the tiny canon dslr that my girlfriend uses for $250 used with about 2000 shutter count the other day. I wouldn't hesitate on something like that if I needed another one. Canon tXi in your budget body plus a 55-250ISII, 40MM pancake and a 10-22 is a hell of a combination for the money and I wouldn't blink about buying them used from somewhere like PotN.

I would personally stay away from that 300 from canon though compared to the 55-250 I mentioned. I also don't care for any of the cheap 18-55mm'ish canon lenses. The 10-22 and 40 is so much at their respective ranges that it's not worth it unless you just don't want to carry the other lenses. If that's the case then there's little choice.

New is fine too but might need to wait a while on the 10-22 as they are expensive new. Used market is robust. Lots of photographers buy a lens, use it for a few months and sell it for a loss that would be less than renting.
    you'd go t6s over 70d or just a comparable Nikon?

Last edited by unccrombie; 06-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #3638
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I'd probably go for an sl1 over either because it's smaller/lighter (as long as it fits your hand). If you already know one of the features in the 70D over the t6i (or an older tXi series for that matter) then I'd buy for the feature you know you need. Other than that, I'd save money on the body and buy better glass. I used a t4i for a while and it's capability was well beyond my patience level to mess with. Unless you know for certain that one body does something you need, I'd spend less on it as you'll have good glass far longer than any body.

That's my take on it. Either of those you mentioned or their Nikon equivs will be excellent cameras with OK to meh glass. I just care a lot more about the glass than the body.

Last edited by diableri; 06-02-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #3639
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd probably go for an sl1 over either because it's smaller/lighter (as long as it fits your hand). If you already know one of the features in the 70D over the t6i (or an older tXi series for that matter) then I'd buy for the feature you know you need. Other than that, I'd save money on the body and buy better glass. I used a t4i for a while and it's capability was well beyond my patience level to mess with. Unless you know for certain that one body does something you need, I'd spend less on it as you'll have good glass far longer than any body.

That's my take on it. Either of those you mentioned or their Nikon equivs will be excellent cameras with OK to meh glass. I just care a lot more about the glass than the body.
    I'm going to need a versatile camera, as what i shoot is very vacation and life orientated. something that gives me at a minimum 1080p/30fps, the ability to shoot low light concerts at great image quality, stunning landscapes, and the occasional sports game when i shell out money for great seats.

i'm not opposed to the cheaper body and better lenses idea, though i am worried about the old(er) sensor in the sl1. at the same time, getting the same performance out of the sl1 with better lenses at 1/2 the price is very appealing. i think the 70d with 55-250 is $1300 versus $609 on amazon for sl1 new

My biggest complaint right now is that my s95 can't handle low light (max ISO is 1600 and really starts to break down ~1200) and it's dynamic range for landscapes and cityscapes is marginal at best. it's great for a macro shot or a well let portrait/landscape, but anything else I struggle to make it work. If I'm not within the first 10 rows of a concert, I might as well put the s95 away as it can't handle the range and higher ISOs

Last edited by unccrombie; 06-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #3640
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Well, low light is both a sensor and lens issue but again, I'd concentrate on the glass. The less expensive lenses are going to have trouble in low light no matter what sensor you pick in this price range in my opinion. If that's really a focus you might be better off buying a used 24-70 f.2.8 than anything else discussed and the cleanest sensor body with whatever you have left. Those are workhorse lenses but some find them boring for that same reason. That lens can be easily supplemented by primes though. The fast fifties are so cheap that's it's worth a try to see if you can move enough during shows to produce some images you are happy with.

Even at f2.8 low light (depending on how low is low) can be a challenge when handheld until technique is really good. I don't know if the newer sensors on Canikons are good enough in that respect (in this price range) to make it worth not staying at 2.8 or below in dark areas. I know sony has a hell of a sensor just came out recently for low light but not sure which if any of the Nikons have it (they use sony sensors right?). It also might be very expensive, not sure on that.
    Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #3641
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, low light is both a sensor and lens issue but again, I'd concentrate on the glass. The less expensive lenses are going to have trouble in low light no matter what sensor you pick in this price range in my opinion. If that's really a focus you might be better off buying a used 24-70 f.2.8 than anything else discussed and the cleanest sensor body with whatever you have left. Those are workhorse lenses but some find them boring for that same reason. That lens can be easily supplemented by primes though. The fast fifties are so cheap that's it's worth a try to see if you can move enough during shows to produce some images you are happy with.

Even at f2.8 low light (depending on how low is low) can be a challenge when handheld until technique is really good. I don't know if the newer sensors on Canikons are good enough in that respect (in this price range) to make it worth not staying at 2.8 or below in dark areas. I know sony has a hell of a sensor just came out recently for low light but not sure which if any of the Nikons have it (they use sony sensors right?). It also might be very expensive, not sure on that.
    to the bolded i'd say it's probably 20% low light (city, concerts), 50% scenery (hiking, water, etc.), and another 30% people (family events).

I'm just not sold on the sl1. Maybe i'm reading the specs wrong, but I feel like if I buy the good lenses now, I'm going to need to upgrade the body in < 2-3 years. The AF points scare me a bit, as does the ISO range, and a low(er) end 4 FPS. I'm assuming the lower mega pixels won't make too much of a different given the senor type (18 versus 24)
    Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #3642
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Well, the sl1 is just my preference for the reasons I listed. I saw a 60D for $400 for example. None of the things you listed really need high frames per second performance. Solid auto focus is always good and degenerates quickly in less light so that makes sense to watch for but the lenses come into play a lot there as well. I think the sensor sizes are fine on any modern big name these days.

As an example, paying a few hundred dollars for the body now gets you shooting (which is the only thing I think really matters) now with better glass. You will absolutely upgrade a body sooner or later but you can keep lenses as long as the mount is supported and past that with adapters.

Maybe the nikon guys can chime in on a few of their choices again for you. I wouldn't really trust the canons I've shot in a dark concert, hand held with the 4.5 and up lenses unless I could keep the ISO at 3200 or preferably under and I still think the noise will bother some people.
    Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #3643
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Picked up the new Canon 50mm 1.8 prime and took it to Red Rocks for Lettuce and the Motet.

http://festivalfootprints.com/2015/06/letmo/
    skwormin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #3644
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skwormin View Post
    Picked up the new Canon 50mm 1.8 prime and took it to Red Rocks for Lettuce and the Motet.

http://festivalfootprints.com/2015/06/letmo/
    awsome
    Old 06-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #3645
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Thought I would share these photo sets from a co-worker of mine. Amazing photos.

****THESE ARE NOT MY WORK****

http://cargocollective.com/414518
    Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #3646
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

let's talk lenses again. I was thinking:

street/portrait/concert: 50 mm f/1.8 - $80 used
    walk around: 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 - (buy with t6s so $300 new, $849 body)
    landscapes 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 ( ~$450 used)

by my math, that's: $1679 with the t6s.

the AF points and cross types as well as the video abilities and larger sensor of the t6s future-proof me for at least 3 years. I have no need for 60fps in 1080p right now.

If I forgo the 10-22mm right now, will the 18-135mm be acceptable/solid for landscapes?

The 50mm worries me a bit, but from a concert perspective is attractive. Seems like a 35 or 40 mm would be better for street shooting

Last edited by unccrombie; 07-02-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #3647
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with on the 50 for that use but it's so cheap as to be relatively harmless to a budget. The 10-22 is a great lens period; as with any wide though you'll need to manage flare. If it were a bit faster it'd be twice it's price.

The 18-135 I had as a kit lens with my Rebel a while ago. I don't think it is that great a lens. It was fine for a walk around in that had a very useful focal range. For big print style landscapes, it's kit lens quality. Nothing more really so if you do your work and you clean up aberrations etc in post it'll be OK. When you put it next to the 10-22 shots, you'll see what I mean. As an example, I took my nephews to Disneyland a few years ago and didn't bring it. I took my 40 and the 55-250ISII. If I'd had more time on my own, I'd have taken the 10-22 and a mini-tripod/sand bag. I didn't even bring the 18-135 with me out to FL.

The flip side is that the 18-135 is a perfect "I don't care" lens for holidays and family snapshots in my opinion.
    Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #3648
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Just checked quickly and people are happier with the newer 18-135 than the first one. They may have improved the lens quality a bit. I don't know for sure since I used the old one and sold it with my rebel body.
    Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #3649
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

let's approach it this way then.

camera body - $849
    50 - $80

what other lense(s) for $300-350 would be better for my subject shooting than the 18-135?
    Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #3650
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe just pick up the kit with this new 18-135 (they seem to be selling just fine on the used market if you decided you don't like it). Pop a few hundred shots through it in your normal venues. Then search your image library for the focal length you're using the most. If you don't like the kit lens, sell it and move to a lens you are shooting in the range of according to your photos. That's probably the "right" way to do it. The fast fifties are so cheap that it's tough not to just get one no matter what.

After skimming all your old posts again, this seems like the most reasonable way to go about it if you're buying the body new. If you find yourself wanting to go a little wider then the 10-22 (and they have a new, slower 10-18 out now as well but I haven't shot it). If you find you want some more reach, then that 55-250ISII (saw a used one for $150 a few days ago and almost bought the damned thing in case anything ever happens to my GF's).

With those first two lenses, you'll miss some shots but then you KNOW for sure what focal range and then quickly figure out how fast you need them with your most frequent shooting conditions.
    Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #3651
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Maybe just pick up the kit with this new 18-135 (they seem to be selling just fine on the used market if you decided you don't like it). Pop a few hundred shots through it in your normal venues. Then search your image library for the focal length you're using the most. If you don't like the kit lens, sell it and move to a lens you are shooting in the range of according to your photos. That's probably the "right" way to do it. The fast fifties are so cheap that it's tough not to just get one no matter what.

After skimming all your old posts again, this seems like the most reasonable way to go about it if you're buying the body new. If you find yourself wanting to go a little wider then the 10-22 (and they have a new, slower 10-18 out now as well but I haven't shot it). If you find you want some more reach, then that 55-250ISII (saw a used one for $150 a few days ago and almost bought the damned thing in case anything ever happens to my GF's).

With those first two lenses, you'll miss some shots but then you KNOW for sure what focal range and then quickly figure out how fast you need them with your most frequent shooting conditions.
    that works.

for kenya and zanzibar, it's not like i'll be alone in the wildness shooting landscapes or wildlife, with a tripod, for huge prints/profit. i'm an aerospace engineer not a photographer I just want the ability to not miss any good/great shots with a bit of pre-planning. if this offers me the best avenue, good.
    Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #3652
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

what are your thoughts on the 10-18?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/10-18mm.htm
    Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #3653
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what are your thoughts on the 10-18?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/10-18mm.htm
    Without reading or clicking to his site, I would likely disagree with whatever Ken Rockwell has to say. =p

Honestly I don't know at all, I'd look at a bunch of image samples before I bought one. Quick google seems promising but again, haven't shot it; don't know for sure. The idea of it is great but IS instead of faster seems a poor trade off at these focal lengths to me.

If I was buying one today, I'd probably still buy another 10-22 because I know for sure I like it. Doesn't mean the 10-18 is a bad lens though. Lots of google hits like this:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00dAks
    Old 07-09-2015, 12:46 AM   #3654
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Loving using the Fuji on this trip... Carrying a minimum amount of gear and being forced to work with the one focal length is working well for me.

http://matt-he-wanders-on.com/norway-our-way/

Hope to have another set posted sometime soon.
    Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #3655
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

UM and PapaDosio at Red Rocks last week

http://festivalfootprints.com/2015/07/umphadosio/
    skwormin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #3656
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyande View Post
    Loving using the Fuji on this trip... Carrying a minimum amount of gear and being forced to work with the one focal length is working well for me.

http://matt-he-wanders-on.com/norway-our-way/

Hope to have another set posted sometime soon.
    Very cool. It is amazing how freeing it actually is to be restricted to one or two focal lengths. I've found that the fewer creative possibilities that are in front of me, the more easily I can just relax and think creatively ironically.

With you posting everything from your phone, are you using like an EyeFi card to transfer the pictures to your phone?

I've never done Airbnb before, but it sounds like it worked out well for you. I love the idea of traveling and having someone knowledgeable of the area there to show me around. For me anyway, I get so much more out of a trip when I have others who can show me what's worth checking out that I would overlook if I was on my own. Still not sure how comfortable I would be with staying in a stranger's place though. I'm inherently distrustful of strangers for some reason.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #3657
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

^ I'm shooting RAW in camera, using the camera RAW processor to push out jpegs on the same card, then using the WiFi in the camera to send the jpegs to my phone. A few steps, but beats carrying a laptop around.

AirBnB is amazing if you embrace the right mentality. It's somewhere between couch surfing and hotels, and it's different depending on your host. You can specify if you're only interested in renting a shared room, private room or whole house when you search, so that makes things easier. We like staying with a local host, because they're usually a nice introduction to the culture and they have local knowledge that gets you to less touristy stuff.
    Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #3658
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Second post from the trip: http://matt-he-wanders-on.com/copenh...icycle-heaven/
    Old 07-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #3659
    rmp207

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Great pictures I like the photo story. What are you using to edit in your phone?
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #3660
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for looking! I'm using mostly just Snapseed.

Tags
    photography