Charlotte 7/24/13 - An experience for the ages! - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
TwoSteppin4Life
You Never Know

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Charlotte 7/24/13 - An experience for the ages!

Hello Ants!

I don't post on here too often anymore, but I love posting reviews of the shows that I go to. Charlotte '13 was my fourth show, and it was by far the best experience that I have had at a concert, ever. As many of you know, thunderstorms were around the area almost the entire evening, and caused the show to be delayed for an hour. Despite the rain, DMB played the strongest set I've ever seen them play by a long shot, and arguably played the set of the tour so far. This was the second show I got to see with my good buddy Will, which was a great experience for the fact that he's the closest friend of mine who shares my DMB obsession. This was my girlfriend's first show. She's a causal Dave fan, and even she was impressed. Anyway, enough with the blabbering, on to the setlist!

Set:

JTR (tease) -> Seven: We were still in our car when this was playing due to the rain, so we missed this entirely. Don't really care for Seven, but seeing the JTR tease would have been cool.

Belly Belly Nice: Caught the second half of this. Nice little number, everything SMLAM isn't.

Broken Things: One of my favorites from AFTW, and it impressed me live. This would work great in the opening spot.

Granny: Perfect placement. Loved singing the "Love!.....Baby!' with Dave. Carter's fills were also very welcomed to spice it up a bit.

#41: My buddy Will loves #41, and being able to enjoy it with him was awesome. Boyd, Tim, and Jeff shined, great rendition.

Don't Drink the Water: I was really hoping to hear Kill The Preacher before it, but I love DDTW. This back to back with #41 almost shot my voice 5 songs in.

Long Black Veil: I went nuts on the lawn, and I was one of three people in my area that even knew the song. Great to hear it live, never thought I would have the chance too.

Funny The Way It Is: Boyd's solo in this was fantastic, truly showed he was having a great night. 3rd time I've seen Funny live, third time it's been standard.

Crazy Easy: I thought if they played it last night that there was no way they'd play it again. Boy, was I wrong. I went to my first show in '09, so I wasn't around when this song was in it's prime, but it was fantastic.

Kit Kat Jam: BOOM! Anytime I hear something from my favorite album, it's always a plus. Hopefully this stays around with some lyrics added in too!

Runnin' Down a Dream: I was really hoping I'd get to hear this. My favorite Tom Petty song by far, and DMB does a great job covering it. Tim's solo in this is worth the show download alone.

Recently ->: I've been digging Recently recently () since the WH Disc came out. Great to hear everybody trade solos and topped of with the Pretty Pretty Girl/Take Me To The River outros.

You and Me: Only song of the night I didn't care for at all.

Drunken Solider ->: Started the amazing closing run. My favorite song from AFTW, and it's amazing live. The second half of the song really resembles a Pink Floyd style jam. The lighting and background effects for this are also worth a mention.

Two Step ->: Nice expanded intro due to a mess up with Dave's IEM. Dave's intro was good (although the Time Bomb intro needs to be gone, IMO), Tim's solo was unreal (he looked pretty pumped after it, too.) and Carter's solo was amazing (he's not human). Great song, thought we were heading for and encore break but.....

Ants Marching ->: I haven't heard Ants since my first show, so I was excited to hear it again. Dave auctioneer style intro is cool, and Boyd was on fire. After this, I surely thought we were heading for an encore break.......

Halloween I lost my mind. Ever since I've got into the band in '09, Halloween has been the epitome of a rarity at a DMB show. I know, it's received way more plays in the past few years, but I treated it like a true rarity. It was everything I hoped and dreamed, and my girlfriend got my reaction on video to, which is priceless

E1: Shake Me Like a Monkey: I didn't even think we were going to get an encore, and this didn't bother me at all. High energy, and I dare to say, it was a fitting ending to the night. It was really cool to see Carter throw drum sticks to the two little kids on their parents (?) shoulders before the band came back out too.

Overall, this was the best show I've seen by a long shot. It had everything I wanted. Rare gems (Crazy Easy, Kit Kat, Halloween), Classics (#41, Two Step, Ants) and even a great cover. The lots afterwords where hell getting out of, but I was still buzzing from the set that I didn't care if I ever got home. GET THE TAPE FOR THIS SHOW! You will not be disappointed, as it could be the best this tour could see!
TwoSteppin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
    trippinbillee

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Charlotte 7/24/13 - An experience for the ages!

Good review

The JTR tease was just that...a tease and talk about leaving somebody hangin. When the 12 string came out after CE, I was hoping this was going to be JTR since they played BEF>Bartender last year...and figured there was no chance in hell for LS, SUAD, or JR. KKJ kicked ass big time regardless.
    trippinbillee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
    walnutgrove

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Charlotte 7/24/13 - An experience for the ages!

Nice review.

walnut grove animal clinic
    walnutgrove is offline   Reply With Quote