New album opinions - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #91
trippingant
In too deep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New album opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets42689 View Post
I find it funny that some of you have essentially already determined that you don't like the new album, and yet they haven't even written/recorded yet. I find it funny that the fact that Cavallo is producing already makes the album a loss for some of you. In the end, if the band writes good music it won't matter (that much) who produces. And finally, I find it interesting that some of you would rather have old songs on the new album. That's just essentially another version, that you will probably pick apart and will leave you unsatisfied that it doesn't sound as good as that live version from '04. How can you prefer that to new music that doesn't even exist yet?
[/QUOTE]Some of you set yourself up for disspointment with your attitude. It's almost like you prefer to be unsatisfied. You prefer to point out the negatives in a set/tour/album and focus on that. It's depressing.[/QUOTE]

Some of us have been around longer than 2010 and have a long history of built-up expectations and letdown starting with tLWS/Everyday/BS, promising live songs being left off albums and then forgotten, etc. It's not that we want to be negative, but 14 years of being frustrated with your favorite band not living up to their potential would make anyone a little jaded.

Last edited by trippingant; 09-15-2014 at 07:35 AM.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #92
    YouKnowThatItIS
    Go Bucks!

Shows Seen: 124

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

I have been following DMB closely since 1994. I have been through the same up and downs as the negative Ants type folks. And yet somehow I see the band completely differently then those critics. So the general Ants attitude that the band is "lazy" or under performing is an opinion, not a fact. Those that have that opinion act as if any other perspectives makes a fan a "Ballwasher" or an "excuse maker". It is not the opinions that are the problem, it is the way they are presented.

AFTW is their best overall album in my opinion and I am looking forward to the new album a great deal. I do not need nor wish anyone to share in that opinion.

Enjoy your day.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #93
    Bruce

Shows Seen: 64

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouKnowThatItIS View Post
    I have been following DMB closely since 1994. I have been through the same up and downs as the negative Ants type folks. And yet somehow I see the band completely differently then those critics. So the general Ants attitude that the band is "lazy" or under performing is an opinion, not a fact. Those that have that opinion act as if any other perspectives makes a fan a "Ballwasher" or an "excuse maker". It is not the opinions that are the problem, it is the way they are presented.
    I agree with this and I've been following the band since 1995.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #94
    trippingant
    In too deep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

AFTW is their best overall album in my opinion and I am looking forward to the new album a great deal. I do not need nor wish anyone to share in that opinion.

Enjoy your day.
    I understand your point and commend you for standing up for your opinion. But just keep in mind that the frustration/disappointment many express here is very real and no less valid either.

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle. I've stopped having unrealistic expectations at shows and chasing songs, and can have a great time no matter what is played because I only go to 1-2 shows a year. I have a cautious optimism about this band. I've come to the realization that they are in a different place and probably will never produce another "classic" album on par with the Big 3. But that doesn't mean I can't find joy in their newer material on its own level while still enjoying the older stuff.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #95
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Some of us have been around longer than 2010 and have a long history of built-up expectations and letdown starting with tLWS/Everyday/BS, promising live songs being left off albums and then forgotten, etc. It's not that we want to be negative, but 14 years of being frustrated with your favorite band not living up to their potential would make anyone a little jaded.
    Some fans go even farther back and remember the disappointment in the fanbase when BTCS was released.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #96
    Bruce

Shows Seen: 64

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippingant View Post
    I understand your point and commend you for standing up for your opinion. But just keep in mind that the frustration/disappointment many express here is very real and no less valid either.

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle. I've stopped having unrealistic expectations at shows and chasing songs, and can have a great time no matter what is played because I only go to 1-2 shows a year. I have a cautious optimism about this band. I've come to the realization that they are in a different place and probably will never produce another "classic" album on par with the Big 3. But that doesn't mean I can't find joy in their newer material on its own level while still enjoying the older stuff.
    I also agree with all of this.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #97
    Dreamingtr33

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Enjoy your day.
    I think you said and put into words what a lot of people have tried to express on here. Good post. Some people on here hunt for ways to express their superiority as if they are above everyone else and nobody's opinions matter cause they have seen DMB since early years when they were "peaking" as far as shows and albums go. It's like girls getting mad at another girl for stealing her outfit. " I liked DMB first!" and it just comes off as being douche. Big example of this is grouping people together with the #Love. I hate that. We're all fans DMB. You know who group peopled together ...Nazis aha. You guys aren't Nazis are you. The, aha, no #hate guys.

I also like how when we tell people to just enjoy the show and live in the moment that's some how saying we want them to lower their expectations and just bow down to DMB ...that's fucking stupid. You should have expectations it's natural. I tell myself don't go in with no expectations but of course I would love to see a show full of classics. I just don't let my expectations get in the way of having fun and going to see shows cause even songs like Mercy and Y&M have some DMB elements I enjoy and I walk out of shows amped and great mood.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #98
    Dreamingtr33

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Have healthy debates! Listen and be open minded to people's opinions and don't just clown them more liking something you may think is ridiculous.
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #99
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I don't have too many opinions on the new album since their isn't a new album, but hopefully when one comes out it doesn't have terrible lyrics.
    Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #100
    YouKnowThatItIS
    Go Bucks!

Shows Seen: 124

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamingtr33 View Post
    I think you said and put into words what a lot of people have tried to express on here. Good post. Some people on here hunt for ways to express their superiority as if they are above everyone else and nobody's opinions matter cause they have seen DMB since early years when they were "peaking" as far as shows and albums go. It's like girls getting mad at another girl for stealing her outfit. " I liked DMB first!" and it just comes off as being douche. Big example of this is grouping people together with the #Love. I hate that. We're all fans DMB. You know who group peopled together ...Nazis aha. You guys aren't Nazis are you. The, aha, no #hate guys.

I also like how when we tell people to just enjoy the show and live in the moment that's some how saying we want them to lower their expectations and just bow down to DMB ...that's fucking stupid. You should have expectations it's natural. I tell myself don't go in with no expectations but of course I would love to see a show full of classics. I just don't let my expectations get in the way of having fun and going to see shows cause even songs like Mercy and Y&M have some DMB elements I enjoy and I walk out of shows amped and great mood.
    I agree with all of this. You took what I was feeling and wrote and added the perfect addendum. Gracias.
    Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #101
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Some fans go even farther back and remember the disappointment in the fanbase when BTCS was released.
    Holy shit, hahaha! I clearly remember the momentum the band had when they were at their highest peak in 2000, back when it felt like they would change music, but I wasn't around for that.
    Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #102
    trippingant
    In too deep

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very true. I became a fan late 1998-ish after hearing songs like WWYS and SMTS. BTCS had already been out a while the first time I heard it and I remember thinking how weird it sounded and unlike the other stuff I knew. Took less than a week to fall in love with it however.

13 years and 9 years later I still dislike Everyday and Stand Up.
    Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #103
    spider-man

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just a thought, but what happened to the band road testing new songs? It seems like the recent albums have begun and ended across a couple of months, all in the studio. It might not be a bad idea to develop some new song ideas in the studio, road test them while Dave improves the lyrics during the tour, then record the album afterward.
    Old 09-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #104
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spider-man View Post
    Just a thought, but what happened to the band road testing new songs? It seems like the recent albums have begun and ended across a couple of months, all in the studio. It might not be a bad idea to develop some new song ideas in the studio, road test them while Dave improves the lyrics during the tour, then record the album afterward.
    doesn't really seem like that happens much anymore

Most songs are played immediately before or after an album release date lately

First time a song was played dates:

Funny the Way It Is - 4/14/09
    Spaceman - 4/14/09
    Why I Am - 4/14/09
    Seven - 5/5/09
    Time Bomb - 5/27/09
    Squirm - 5/29/09
    Alligator Pie - 5/30/09

Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King - June 2nd, 2009 - 7/12 performed before release (12 tracks due to Grux not being played live)

Lying in the Hands of God - 6/6/09
    You & Me - 6/6/09
    Shake Me Like A Monkey - 6/12/09
    Dive In - 6/13/09
    Baby Blue - 8/12/09

Sweet - 7/8/11
    Mercy - 4/24/12
    Gaucho - 5/18/12
    If Only - 6/3/12
    The Riff - 6/27/12
    Belly Belly Nice - 7/14/12
    Rooftop - 9/8/12
    Snow Outside - 9/8/12

Away From The World - September 11th, 2012 - 8/11 performed before release

Broken Things - 9/23/12
    Belly Full - 11/30/12
    Drunken Soldier - 11/30/12
    Old 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #105
    gia_rootdivine
    our sacred dances true

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Either this upcoming album or the one after it is going to be incredible.
    whatever one's perspective is on this or that about the evolution of the group, they are not the average musicians and have never fallen into making uncreative music... i think they do try to reach different audiences, which can mean moving past people who already like what they do, and don't lean too heavily into trying to recapture their past sound; there is always a new type of sound ahead.
    Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #106
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Here's what I thinka bout the New Album that the band made:

It stinks!

Last edited by TwoStep2888; 09-16-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    Old 09-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #107
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

This is the longest the band has gone without debuting a song on the road, correct? Two years
    Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #108
    Jordan#41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    This is the longest the band has gone without debuting a song on the road, correct? Two years
    What the debut of Take Me to Tomorrow wasn't enough for you?
    Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #109
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    What the debut of Take Me to Tomorrow wasn't enough for you?
    Yeah but I meant excluding covers. I believe this is the longest DMB has gone without debuting at least one new song...
    Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #110
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Here's my opinion:

If he wanted, Dave could write music that has the same sound as the Big 3. He has mastered those chords of his and when he wants can really take advantage of that unique, open sound (think Broken Things). I'm not saying that he would be able to match the quality of music of those songs from the 90's, but he could certainly bring back that DMB sound that we've missed so much. He simply does not want to. He wants to bring out a new sound in the band and it has worked with mixed results. Big Whiskey was fine and AFTW was terrific, IMO. If he wanted to put out an album that sounded like Crash, he probably could. He just does not want to.

Lyrically speaking, Dave is well past his prime. He's had a handful of gems or semi-gems over the past several years (Shotgun, LITHOG, Baby Blue, Broken Things, The Riff...), but overall he has kind of lost it. Whereas I believe that he could bring back the musicality of the big 3, I don't believe that he will ever be able to touch the lyrical depth that he displayed throughout that stretch.

What do you think?

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #111
    Jordan#41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah but I meant excluding covers. I believe this is the longest DMB has gone without debuting at least one new song...
    I know what you meant. Bad joke on my part.
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #112
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ERoths711 View Post
    If he wanted to put out an album that sounded like Crash, he probably could. He just does not want to.
    Well, why would he want to? He's done that, he had success with that. Anyone would want to try new things, head in a new direction, utilize a new sound.
    Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #113
    ERoths711

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, why would he want to? He's done that, he had success with that. Anyone would want to try new things, head in a new direction, utilize a new sound.
    That's what I'm saying. You can't fault him for that, but it's the main reason why we're always angry with the results. He could easily write an album with the sound of crash (not quite the musicality) and the lyrical quality of AFTW. But it won't happen because the band has moved on.

"Y'all look like pasta with red sauce on it!" - DM, 5/26/13
    Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #114
    cmyers2

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

any inside sources with updates on the new album? when/where the sessions will resume or how far along they are?
    Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #115
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ERoths711 View Post
    Here's my opinion:

Lyrically speaking, Dave is well past his prime. He's had a handful of gems or semi-gems over the past several years (Shotgun, LITHOG, Baby Blue, Broken Things, The Riff...), but overall he has kind of lost it. Whereas I believe that he could bring back the musicality of the big 3, I don't believe that he will ever be able to touch the lyrical depth that he displayed throughout that stretch.

What do you think?
    I think he certainly could recapture his lyrical abilities. Looking back at what he said about his writing during the BTCS sessions (I'm referring to what I think was an old MTV or VH1 doc), and how he would spend hours/days/months/etc. pouring over his lyrics until he didn't think they were terrible, I definitely think he could do it again. Everything changed with Ballard telling him something along the lines of: don't use so many words. The band has been fundamentally different ever sense, and I think Dave now has a completely different philosophical approach to his lyrics.

Dave told such great stories on the Big 3, and even LWS/BS, but very few songs since then (minus some of the '04/'07 stuff) have had that feel. People don't just forget how to be storytellers... it isn't something you forget; but, it is something you have to work at, which is something that doesn't seem to interest Dave.

The water is there, you just have to tap the well.
    Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #116
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreamingtr33 View Post

Well said.

I have been a fan since about 1995 and my first show was in 1998. Do I think there are things the band could do better, and do I miss the way they sounded in the old days sometimes? Absolutely. I've recently been reminded of how incredible they sounded by purchasing Live Trax 31. I would take Carter of 2001 over Carter of 2014 any day. But the fact remains that it's still the same band, still the same songs and I love them. I just choose to not take them so seriously anymore.

I love this band so much and enjoy the different twists and turns they take. As a musician myself it's fun to have been following a band for so long and see where they started to where they are now. It's cool to see a band grow and develop in different ways and try new things. I can only imaginer being in a band for 20+ years and having played Ants Marching for the 2000th time. You have to mix things up and try new things to keep things fresh. Those older songs and albums will always be there we you need a fix. Some bands never change and their music just gets so old and boring. The cool thing about DMB is that they're really like 10 bands in one. You can listen to countless versions of songs like #41. Feeling like a mellow version? Go back and check out a version from 96. Feeling like something a little heavier? Check out a version from 2014. Want a classic Roi version? Pick any #41 from 1999 and so on. The same can be said about so many songs. I may not always like a take on a song, but it's better than going to see some band play all their hits the same exact way they sound on the album every time.

All that being said, I'm always excited to see what the band will come up with next. We really have no idea what the next album will be like. Maybe it'll be a heavy hitter like Big Whiskey, maybe they'll return to form and build upon the direction they went with Away From the World, or maybe they'll try something completely new. I love that they're giving Cavallo another shot. I'm excited to see what they can do with a producer they've worked with before that isn't Lillywhite. We know what Lillywhite can do, let's see what Cavallo can do on a second time out. Lillywhite is the only producer that's worked with this band more than once so it'll be cool to see what Cavallo comes up with. Cavallo comes up as #2 vs. Ballard or Batson. I think the majority liked Big Whiskey, so why NOT give him another shot? Imagine the pressure he must have felt given the amount of time between albums, the death of an integral member, and the fact the a lot of people HATED their last album.

Last edited by KevinTH; 09-19-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #117
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Give me more songs like Broken Things and less songs like If Only and we're good.
    Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #118
    trippingant
    In too deep

My Tour Central Stats

Funny how quickly people forget Steve Harris
    Old 09-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #119
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Love when people preface their opinion with how long they've been a fan.
    Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #120
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does Kill The Preacher count? 6/1/13.
    Closed Thread