Why no CO/Red Rocks love?? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
tarheels15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Why no CO/Red Rocks love??

No shows scheduled for the Mile High or Colorado??? It's gotta be about time for DMB to reappear at Red Rocks right?? Im hoping for a late "special" announcement sometime for Red Rocks (fingers crossed).
tarheels15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
    ryanflick3

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Why no CO/Red Rocks love??

I don't think management thinks Red Rocks is worth it financially. 3 or 4 nights there equals a one night stand at a bigger venue approx... I don't understand why CO gets skipped so often, except that maybe the venue selection here just doesn't fit. They need a year or two to build demand to fill a place like Dicks, and everywhere else is too small. Plus they hate the Pepsi Center it seems like.

What I don't understand is why the band just doesn't put roots down for like 10 nights at Red Rocks and make it the place to be for a summer. A DMB residency at Red Rocks would be killer. They would sell all every night so the venue would have nothing to worry about.

This set up sounds perfect though!

They should do the Caravan thing with this new concept. Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, Spac, Golden Gate Park, Atlantic City, West Palm Beach. Make it 7 or 8 week long stops rather than 4 venues with 3 nights. Encourage the fans to travel and hang for a couple nights.
    ryanflick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...uturamafry.jpg
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
    masonb23
    Bryce

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Agreed, was really hoping to make the trip to Red Rocks this year!! One of these days, fingers crossed.
    masonb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

imagine Gorge and Colorado in the same year, for the first time since the marijuana laws passed...

the entire states would need a bath after a DMB weekend
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

My theory about skipping Colorado continues to be what a pain in the ass it is to get to relative to all their other major stops. You have to go 500 miles from Denver to get to another major city (KC or SLC).

Leaving the Mountain Time Zone out entirely is a bit of a dick move, though.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

What is wrong with the Fiddlers Green amphitheater, or whatever it's called?

I don't know what would be to dislike about Pepsi center compared to any other large arena?

The excuse for red rocks has always been that its too small. It's bigger than Les Schwab, Greek in Berkely, Harvey's Lake Tahoe, etc. DMB are not too big for red rocks. 9,000 x3 = 27,0000 people seems like a good idea to me.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
    leelayingunder
    my table & dreaming

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

PTSD RE: Sharp Objects?
    Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    What is wrong with the Fiddlers Green amphitheater, or whatever it's called?
    Very strict curfew. Not worth it. I use to live in Colorado and we were at a Counting Crows/John Mayer show and Mayer was in the encore and they literally unplugged him at 11 pm.
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
    whodaddy
    antsonwhiskey

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

For my fellow Coloradans in here, where are you headed this summer? We may have to get creative.

2023 : D&T Mexico, Chicago, Gorge
    2024 : D&T Mexico, Alpine
    whodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specialkd24 View Post
    Very strict curfew. Not worth it. I use to live in Colorado and we were at a Counting Crows/John Mayer show and Mayer was in the encore and they literally unplugged him at 11 pm.
    I saw that same tour! My gf at the time was REALLY into CC, so we saw them at Polaris in Columbus. The Crows were good, but we weren't really impressed with John Mayer and left halfway through.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
    geoffc
    Just thinking out loud

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Really sick of CO getting hosed. It's feast or famine, mostly famine. I'll say this, as mentioned above, there is a venue issue. Outside of Red Rocks it's slim pickins'. I think Fiddlers is a crap venue. I think Dick's is a crap venue (fine on the field, absolute crap in the seats). Pepsi Center is an arena, it's fine, nothing special, not terrible but far from ideal. Broomfield/Bud Center are too small for a full band show, and are also just ok arenas. Mile High and Folsom are too big. Hughes would work, but has noise ordinance issues and hasn't hosted a show since the Rolling Stones in 1977 (CSU's proposed new on-campus stadium would initially hold 40k, that could work in the future). I don't think they have concerts at Falcon stadium. There are some cool venues in Denver appropriate for DM or D&T shows, but not big enough for DMB.

Red Rocks is a gift and a curse for DMB fans, one of the the most amazing concert venue in the world... just a touch small for DMB. But whoever from management is in charge of their tour destination picks is a total ******. The band's "western satellite," the first community to support the band outside their home state, gets totally dicked over consistently. We've been flat out skipped from entire tours, or have had only festival shows some years. Since the mid-90's run at RR CO has been dicked over, aside from the epic RR run in 2005, and I'll give last year some love even though I think DSGP sucks. My years of travelling to see the band are over. No reason for them to give CO the cold shoulder. Ok I'm done complaining... and I will hold out hope there will be a late announcement of some Colorado love.

Last edited by geoffc; 01-14-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    geoffc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
    foosball
    2+2=5

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

One major positive is that we do get tons of other great shows. While we don't get DMB this year, we have loads of other great bands that will be here
    foosball is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
    saxlover

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

gorge is my new local dmb venue. driving there for a 3rd year in a row.
    Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
    noelle95dmb

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanflick3 View Post
    They should do the Caravan thing with this new concept. Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, Spac, Golden Gate Park, Atlantic City, West Palm Beach. Make it 7 or 8 week long stops rather than 4 venues with 3 nights. Encourage the fans to travel and hang for a couple nights.
    I second this idea...
    noelle95dmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geoffc View Post
    Really sick of CO getting hosed. It's feast or famine, mostly famine. I'll say this, as mentioned above, there is a venue issue. Outside of Red Rocks it's slim pickins'. I think Fiddlers is a crap venue. I think Dick's is a crap venue (fine on the field, absolute crap in the seats). Pepsi Center is an arena, it's fine, nothing special, not terrible but far from ideal. Broomfield/Bud Center are too small for a full band show, and are also just ok arenas. Mile High and Folsom are too big. Hughes would work, but has noise ordinance issues and hasn't hosted a show since the Rolling Stones in 1977 (CSU's proposed new on-campus stadium would initially hold 40k, that could work in the future). I don't think they have concerts at Falcon stadium. There are some cool venues in Denver appropriate for DM or D&T shows, but not big enough for DMB.

Red Rocks is a gift and a curse for DMB fans, one of the the most amazing concert venue in the world... just a touch small for DMB. But whoever from management is in charge of their tour destination picks is a total ******. The band's "western satellite," the first community to support the band outside their home state, gets totally dicked over consistently. We've been flat out skipped from entire tours, or have had only festival shows some years. Since the mid-90's run at RR CO has been dicked over, aside from the epic RR run in 2005, and I'll give last year some love even though I think DSGP sucks. My years of travelling to see the band are over. No reason for them to give CO the cold shoulder. Ok I'm done complaining... and I will hold out hope there will be a late announcement of some Colorado love.
    Congrats on following the band in Colorado during their early days - what are some of the venues you saw them back in the early 90s?

I think the knife throwing incident, as well as not having a bigger amphitheater is the reason. RR 2005 is one of my DMB highlights, so like everyone else, hoping for a return there.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
    LeftyDv

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Last year's attendance was not good. One would need to be Polyanna to believe that they were coming back this year. Dave loves playing here... He's said it every show I've ever seen. It's just not economically viable for the tours they have done for the past decade. Go see some new bands at places like the Bluebird or the Ogden. You'll have just as much fun at a fraction of the cost.
    Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
    foosball
    2+2=5

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saxlover View Post
    gorge is my new local dmb venue. driving there for a 3rd year in a row.
    Showboat
    foosball is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
    credin

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LeftyDv View Post
    Last year's attendance was not good. One would need to be Polyanna to believe that they were coming back this year. Dave loves playing here... He's said it every show I've ever seen. It's just not economically viable for the tours they have done for the past decade. Go see some new bands at places like the Bluebird or the Ogden. You'll have just as much fun at a fraction of the cost.
    Yep, I agree. No way DMB was coming back this year and quite honestly that does not bother me. I still LOVE DMB but I have better things to do with my money than piss it away traveling to see them. My traveling days to see this band are over. To each their own it's just not my thing anymore. When they play Denver every three or four years I will go but that is it. Plenty of local action to keep me busy and happy.

The venues around here just don't quite work for DMB summer shows. I also really wish people would stop saying they don't play Denver because of the knife incident. Really? If that was it they would not play Denver at all.
    credin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
    bartendertom

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting development....

http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/sh...4#post15351534
    bartendertom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specialkd24 View Post

I was at that show as well. Can't believe they just cut Mayer off like that.