The Gorge 2013 project - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
bustedstuff88

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Gorge 2013 project

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what lawn tickets for all 3 nights of the gorge plus a camping pass would come to? 2013 in my mind

2022: Alpine x2, Gorge x3, Minneapolis
bustedstuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #32
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeCandy View Post
    Ok since the Gorge thread is flowing... for a first time RV renter... How hard is it to set up.. Septic tank, plumbing, electric, water...

Also.. are there good RV parking spots close to the venue?
    To my knowledge most RV spots do not have any hookups. I know that the Gorge campground and Wildhorse do not have hookups. If you are judicious with how you use your water/toilet (ie use honey buckets or provided bathrooms) you can make it the entire weekend self contained. We would run our generator for a bit during the day to keep everything charged and ready to go for the nighttime after the shows.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #33
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zartom View Post
    will do. excellent stuff.

as for Reno: the reason is... Burning Man. i figured that if i'm flying half way around the world, i'll rack up some once in a lifetime exeperiences. add that to the fact that my brother is living in AZ with his family and they will attend burning man with friends, so my logistics are easier, and it turns up to be like a good adventure, i hope. but as you said, DMB + Gorge comes first. burning man is a week long and climaxing on the last 3 days, but i will leave the festival after only 4 days (thursday on labor day week). that gives me about 24-36 hours to make the distance from Nevada to Washington.

excellent tip about Portland. i will visit there! i'm also a "couchsurfing veteran" so i was able to find hosts all round the world. probably Portland will be a success also

looking for more info, if someone has it!

thanks again

If you're planning on going to Burning Man flying into Reno is your best bet. You could fly into Vegas, but it is a approx an 8 hour drive (longer on the bus which is your only public transportation option) to Reno. Also, give yourself enough time to get back to Reno from Burning Man. The actual event is held in the Black Rock Desert a few hours outside of Reno. And be sure to bring plenty of items to barter as cash is not an accepted form of payment at Burning Man.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what lawn tickets for all 3 nights of the gorge plus a camping pass would come to? 2013 in my mind
    $225-$275 I'd say. 50/day for lawn and $75-$125 for camping.
    420th jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #35
    zartom
    דרישת שלום מישראל

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    If you're planning on going to Burning Man flying into Reno is your best bet. You could fly into Vegas, but it is a approx an 8 hour drive (longer on the bus which is your only public transportation option) to Reno. Also, give yourself enough time to get back to Reno from Burning Man. The actual event is held in the Black Rock Desert a few hours outside of Reno. And be sure to bring plenty of items to barter as cash is not an accepted form of payment at Burning Man.
    thank you for the info. i'm pretty much aware of what i'm up against there with the "survival items" and i'll probably find some "inside help" if my brother decides to join from Phoenix with a car or something from the forum. the thing is, i don't want to book anything before i know i can get to the Gorge, because this is the main thing. by "getting to the gorge" i mean at least 1 night at the pit and 1 at the lawn.
    once i know that it's doable, at almost any cost, I'm booking a plane ticket and getting this thing in motion!
    zartom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #36
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 420th jimi View Post
    $225-$275 I'd say. 50/day for lawn and $75-$125 for camping.
    Thinking about making this trip within a year or two. How does camping work here? You buy a plot for your tent and do you park right next to it? How big are the plots usually?
    Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
    somad

Shows Seen: 143

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zartom View Post
    thank you for the info. i'm pretty much aware of what i'm up against there with the "survival items" and i'll probably find some "inside help" if my brother decides to join from Phoenix with a car or something from the forum. the thing is, i don't want to book anything before i know i can get to the Gorge, because this is the main thing. by "getting to the gorge" i mean at least 1 night at the pit and 1 at the lawn.
    once i know that it's doable, at almost any cost, I'm booking a plane ticket and getting this thing in motion!
    Hi Zartom,

Curious to see if we met at your show in Germany. My hubby and I went to the Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna and Munich shows and I think it was in Hamburg that we waited in line outside the venue behind two Israeli guys. They had a bottle they were passing around (man was it cold there!) and we talked with them for a while and shared out bag of chips. Would this happen to have been you?

Life is Short But Sweet for Certain
    somad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
    seekupdani

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    Thinking about making this trip within a year or two. How does camping work here? You buy a plot for your tent and do you park right next to it? How big are the plots usually?
    In general camping, the spot is as wide as your car, and you put up your tent behind your car. They pack them in TIGHT over there. In Premier, your spot is about 2 car widths wide, and again you camp behind your car. We rented an rv last year, and they gave us a ton of room (enough to put our canopy out plus a couple feet). We'll only ever camp Premier now
    Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #39
    ben chappy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Definitely pay for Premier if you can afford it.The Gorge is set up like a festival, they pack you in pretty tight but you will have plenty of room. If you stay in the general camping be prepared for Air Horns and Dub Step ALL NIGHT LONG.

At the DMB Caravan we were lucky enough to be next to 20 high school kids that besides the Air Horns, Gangsta Rap and Dub Step being plaid all night long they had their own UFC tournament. I love the Gorge as a venue but it was by far the worst experience I have had at any festival or out of the 45 DMB shows I've been to.
    ben chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #40
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupdani View Post
    In general camping, the spot is as wide as your car, and you put up your tent behind your car. They pack them in TIGHT over there. In Premier, your spot is about 2 car widths wide, and again you camp behind your car. We rented an rv last year, and they gave us a ton of room (enough to put our canopy out plus a couple feet). We'll only ever camp Premier now
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ben chappy View Post
    Definitely pay for Premier if you can afford it.The Gorge is set up like a festival, they pack you in pretty tight but you will have plenty of room. If you stay in the general camping be prepared for Air Horns and Dub Step ALL NIGHT LONG.

At the DMB Caravan we were lucky enough to be next to 20 high school kids that besides the Air Horns, Gangsta Rap and Dub Step being plaid all night long they had their own UFC tournament. I love the Gorge as a venue but it was by far the worst experience I have had at any festival or out of the 45 DMB shows I've been to.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #41
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the feedback
    Or keep your eyes open for when Wild Horse opens up their reservation period. Wild Horse is by far the best campground I have stayed at in all my years at the Gorge. They have a cafe for you meals if you don't want to cook. They also offer a shuttle to and from the venue so you can hang out with your group as long as you like and not worry about someone being a DD.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #42
    FreeCandy

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Can you walk to the venue from Premier?
    FreeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #43
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, but Premier also provides shuttle bus service to the main entrance. Terrace provides shuttle van service to the VIP entrance (a little closer if you're going for rail). General camping is all walking.
    Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #44
    seekupdani

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We took the shuttle to the venue 2 of the 3 nights, but walked back every night after the show. The line for the shuttle back to the campgrounds after the shows was UNREAL. I think we got back before we would have even gotten on the shuttle. Plus everyone was still pumped from the show, so it was an enjoyable nighttime walk
    Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #45
    ben chappy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

The vibes are definitely high coming out of the shows. It's a long walk to the campgrounds but believe me you won't mind.
    ben chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

We walked from premier all three nights. It's a blast, I can't imagine taking the shuttle.
    Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ben chappy View Post
    The vibes are definitely high coming out of the shows. It's a long walk to the campgrounds but believe me you won't mind.
    I hate walking out of the Gorge. Like herding cattle. I hate even more when people sing random songs at the top of their lungs. Not even DMB songs, thought that might be worse, just random stuff. Maybe I'm too old or something. this is doubtful though.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajc_1988 View Post
    We walked from premier all three nights. It's a blast, I can't imagine taking the shuttle.
    same here

and agree 100% about premier camping - i would highly recommend it. there is no way i would do general camping at the gorge. premier is easily worth it. easily.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
    DMB24Illini

Shows Seen: 298

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bustedstuff88 View Post
    If you are set on Pit, go throught the warehouse pre-sale and selct pit only. If you get denied, expect to pay through your asshole for pit tickets on ticketmaster or stubhub.

A campground I hear talked about alot is "wildhorse"....id check that out first.
    false....pit tickets are super easy for Gorge. Hell, I got my pits a week before the show to all 3 shows this year.

297 shows, 31 states, 10 countries :)
    DMB24Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #50
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Get a CITI card and a AMEX card (if you don't already have one), or find a friend/family member who has one. Pit was easily available for all nights during the CITI presale.
    Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
    mannotcaring

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

first of all OP: itīs definitely doable!

my friend and I just went to the gorge in 2012 all the way from Austria. Ended up doing the whole trip with an Aussie from Ants which was a lot of fun! Iīd definitely be looking out for some ants prior to the weekend and get together with them. will make your experience a lot more fun and minimizes costs.

my advice would be: visit San Francisco or Portland (if possible both) before the weekend. (or maybe afterwards, doesnīt matter i guess) Itīs an easy route to find rideshares, too, so transportation would not be that big of a problem i think. both cities are really worth visiting! you can work your way up to seattle and then get a ride with some other ants/dmb fans.

we camped at the General campground and actually it was a lot of fun. just like at european campgrounds during music festivals. crazy though that there are sooo many ppl not even going to the concerts but just partying.

oh one final advice: dont plan on going to the gorge on friday... we ended up missing the first 4 songs due to traffic jam and obviously...poor time management. omg that was ridiculous
    Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #52
    zartom
    דרישת שלום מישראל

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somad View Post
    Hi Zartom,

Curious to see if we met at your show in Germany. My hubby and I went to the Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna and Munich shows and I think it was in Hamburg that we waited in line outside the venue behind two Israeli guys. They had a bottle they were passing around (man was it cold there!) and we talked with them for a while and shared out bag of chips. Would this happen to have been you?
    nah, i went to Cologne. but it's surprising that you found some Israeli guys. statisticly speaking.

to all of those talking about Camping stuff: if i'm coming in solo, with a tent and some bare necessities, is organized camping still relevant? what about the stuff i leave back in the camp? is it safe?
    zartom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    gorge , gorge 2013 , israel