2015 DMB Attendance & Gross figures - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #301
DDTW4136

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2015 DMB Attendance & Gross figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post

They may not be your cup of tea. They're not for me. But they do not blow. They're musically way more talented than dmb. Fan boys in full fan boy mode
not sure about way more... carter and jeff are above the phish "average"
yeah, that's about it though. maybe phish is more talented, but not way more.

also that doesnt mean all that much. if dave wrote the lyrics trey generally writes he would be absolutely chastised here. also, jeff is a more talented sax player than roi (coming from a sax player). so pure talent is quite overrated. all about how you use that talent.

which, as i type my random thoughts, phish uses well. they highlight their musicianship rather than their songwriting.

im seeing them in two weeks and couldnt be more psyched
DDTW4136 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #302
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

But how can we explain that Phish can't sell out at venue that holds less than 8K?!?!?!
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #303
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Phish could be 100X more talented than DMB and I would have no clue because they don't write music that has ever really caught my attention, DMB has always had that ability.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #304
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    But how can we explain that Phish can't sell out at venue that holds less than 8K?!?!?!
    Phish fans must have spent all their money on seeing Trey w/The Dead in Chicago. But it was worth it. The 4th was a phenomenal show. The 2 shows I've seen w/Trey (D&F and GD) have been great, but I'm just not a fan of Phish unfortunately.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #305
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42graystreet View Post

I'll be very curious to see how their numbers look this summer. They play Alpine this weekend, also a Saturday/Sunday. I'm willing to bet they pull in roughly the same crowds as DMB.
    I'm not so sure. Anecdotally, I know a couple people that would go to Alpine, but they are saving their money for Magnaball. I don't have the actual numbers for this year, but they are struggling to sell tickets. Worse than DMB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    Because Phish fucking blows
    come on. That's just incorrect. You can "not get" their music, but you can't deny they are talented musicians. I've never been a phan, it just doesn't connect with me, but I appreciate who they are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Yeah I know, just stating that because I do comment on how annoying some Phish fans are
    Well isn't THAT the pot calling the kettle black.
    Old 08-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #306
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Another one showed up this week.

33 Dave Matthews Band Bell Centre
    Montreal, Quebec July 22, 2015 $461,453
    8,428 / 8,688 1 / 0 $61.62, $30.81 Live Nation/evenko

The Bell Center has a capacity of WAY more than 8,688. Case in point;

U2
    June 12-13 & 16-17, 2015 - Montréal, QC - Bell Centre
    GROSS: $7,236,524
    ATTENDANCE: 80,911
    SHOWS: 4
    SELLOUTS: 4
    AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $89.44

Not doing the whole U2 vs. DMB thing, just showing the Bell Center has a capacity of over 20,000 when utilizing the entire arena. Not bad for a midweek show for DMB at this point, like I said it's more profitable than staying home (maybe?), but I reckon they won't be returning to Montreal next year.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #307
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    Another one showed up this week.

33 Dave Matthews Band Bell Centre
    Montreal, Quebec July 22, 2015 $461,453
    8,428 / 8,688 1 / 0 $61.62, $30.81 Live Nation/evenko

The Bell Center has a capacity of WAY more than 8,688. Case in point;

U2
    June 12-13 & 16-17, 2015 - Montréal, QC - Bell Centre
    GROSS: $7,236,524
    ATTENDANCE: 80,911
    SHOWS: 4
    SELLOUTS: 4
    AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $89.44

Not doing the whole U2 vs. DMB thing, just showing the Bell Center has a capacity of over 20,000 when utilizing the entire arena. Not bad for a midweek show for DMB at this point, like I said it's more profitable than staying home (maybe?), but I reckon they won't be returning to Montreal next year.
    U2 has a way different set up for this tour, though. People are lined all up and down the stage. IDK how much of a difference that makes, or what DMB's set up was for that show, but it might not be AS damning as is being made out to be (although probably still pretty bad.)

Also, U2 > Earth.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #308
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a huge fan... even though they did do the horrible thing of giving me a free album, I still like them!

I would imagine DMB had all the seats behind the stage blocked off, and probably half of the upper bowl curtained off to achieve that capacity. Really, 8,500 people or whatever isn't awful. Arenas are set up to host smaller shows all the time. U2 are a different beast entirely. They only tour ever 4 years or so. They really are a phenomenal live act (even the U2 haters can't deny that they must be doing something right to still be successful 35 years into their career).
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #309
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

U2 is fucking awesome and I would love to see them live someday but like many other bands they don't tour anywhere near as big as dmb so that makes it easier to sell out too.
    If dmb cut their touring down both in amount of shows and freq you would see more sell outs as people would have the I need to see them now because who knows when the next time I can feeling.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #310
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    And as far as I know U2 doesn't tour every year

and the lead singer of M5 is on one of the biggest shows on tv.
    They don't tour every year, but honestly U2 probably could and they'd still sell out.

They added a shitton of shows this year at almost every venue they played because they kept selling like hot cakes.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #311
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    U2 is fucking awesome and I would love to see them live someday but like many other bands they don't tour anywhere near as big as dmb so that makes it easier to sell out too.
    If dmb cut their touring down both in amount of shows and freq you would see more sell outs as people would have the I need to see them now because who knows when the next time I can feeling.
    You probably just missed out on your last chance, unless you wanna go to Europe and that's a disgusting thought.

U2 could tour arenas every year and they'd do great every time. The fact that they live up to (and in many ways exceed) the expectations of their live shows AND that they have an amazing catalogue of hits that span decades, they're a super easy draw.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #312
    bwags

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    I'm a huge fan... even though they did do the horrible thing of giving me a free album, I still like them!

I would imagine DMB had all the seats behind the stage blocked off, and probably half of the upper bowl curtained off to achieve that capacity. Really, 8,500 people or whatever isn't awful. Arenas are set up to host smaller shows all the time. U2 are a different beast entirely. They only tour ever 4 years or so. They really are a phenomenal live act (even the U2 haters can't deny that they must be doing something right to still be successful 35 years into their career).
    I've made the trip up to the Bell Centre for a few shows since '98 and the stage has always been set up mid floor. I assume that's how it was this year, which accounts for the 8k capacity.

Re: U2. They're a classics act now, no one wants to hear their new stuff...which is fine. I've seen them about 10 times over the years and their show is fantastic. Older crowd than DMB for sure. Also, with Bono's accident, etc. it might be a 'holy shit, these guys might not be around for much longer' effect. Touring every 4 years certainly builds up the demand.
    bwags is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #313
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwags View Post
    I've made the trip up to the Bell Centre for a few shows since '98 and the stage has always been set up mid floor. I assume that's how it was this year, which accounts for the 8k capacity.

Re: U2. They're a classics act now, no one wants to hear their new stuff...which is fine. I've seen them about 10 times over the years and their show is fantastic. Older crowd than DMB for sure. Also, with Bono's accident, etc. it might be a 'holy shit, these guys might not be around for much longer' effect. Touring every 4 years certainly builds up the demand.
    um what? i was at the first night of the MSG shows and some of the newer songs got just as much of a reaction as the classics

Last edited by comeandsee41; 08-05-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    comeandsee41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #314
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

The new stuff was awesome as hell, live. They put a great production behind them. People went apeshit for some of the new songs at The Forum. Also, scanning the crowd...pretty much the same age range as a DMB show.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #315
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

I'm shocked that u2 can play the same set every night and remain popular. I don't get it but they must be doing something right. Not touring every year and this being their last tour (?) helps a lot I'm sure.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #316
    Dave&Tim41

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwags View Post

Thats not true at all. As others have mentioned, the reception for the new songs was great -- I went to 4 shows at The Garden and the crowd was really into the new songs. Not to mention, the new album was really good.

If DMB were to take 4 years off and then tour, they would easily sell out an entire tour and would be a "hot ticket." The fact that they tour every year, on top of not playing their best material and alienating their hardcore fanbase, makes them an easy skip for a lot of people. I had tickets to 4 shows and wound up only going to one because of the setlists.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    I listened to TGIY the whole way through once. It was a bad experience and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do it. Same goes for deep fried Twinkies.

Last edited by Dave&Tim41; 08-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    Dave&Tim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #317
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm shocked that u2 can play the same set every night and remain popular. I don't get it but they must be doing something right. Not touring every year and this being their last tour (?) helps a lot I'm sure.
    They play basically the same set every night, but for set two they mixed it up a fair bit. No one knows if this will be their last tour, they sounded like they could play for another 20 years, but it's really up to whether or not they want to.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #318
    comeandsee41

My Tour Central Stats

it's def not their last tour, but i can see it being their last album. in fact it would be a good "ending" from an album stand point.

and they can sell out every show with the same set list because they don't have a reputation of changing the set lists nightly (like phish, dmb, etc..), nor do they tour every year. so they can sell out multiple nights in a row at MSG because there are enough u2 fans out there to fill the stadiums.

totally agree with Dave&Tim41. if DMB took a year or two off, they would sell out each show.

hate to say it, but coupled with lack of set list variety, the fact that dmb tours every summer has diluted the product.
    Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #319
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheBradyFan View Post
    U2 has a way different set up for this tour, though. People are lined all up and down the stage. IDK how much of a difference that makes, or what DMB's set up was for that show, but it might not be AS damning as is being made out to be (although probably still pretty bad.)

Also, U2 > Earth.
    Being a hockey fan i know the bell centre has 20K for hockey games which outside of the United center (blackhawks) are some of the only venues to have 20,000 in ground seats.

The Bell Center Has 15,000 listed for concerts with an end stage so the numbers are pretty low for Montreal DMB 2 Sets.

It's also interesting U2 is doing arena tours with 3 or 4 shows in my local markets of Boston and NYC versus the 360 Stadium tours. They used to sell out football stadiums in every major city with those 360 tours. I guess they are giving fans a more intimate setting and just doing more shows per stop.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #320
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Being a hockey fan i know the bell centre has 20K for hockey games which outside of the United center (blackhawks) are some of the only venues to have 20,000 in ground seats.

The Bell Center Has 15,000 listed for concerts with an end stage so the numbers are pretty low for Montreal DMB 2 Sets.

It's also interesting U2 is doing arena tours with 3 or 4 shows in my local markets of Boston and NYC versus the 360 Stadium tours. They used to sell out football stadiums in every major city with those 360 tours. I guess they are giving fans a more intimate setting and just doing more shows per stop.
    Pretty much that, it fit the show they created. They could have gone as big as 360, but they did this instead.

Quote:
    So is a glacier.
    Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #321
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Wow. All this U2 ball washing is getting a little nauseating.

I saw them once, they put on a good show. Once was enough though, I'm just not a fan. I like some radio hits, just can't get into it. And their new album blows. Get it the fuck off my phone.
    Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #322
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flutterby View Post

I saw them once, they put on a good show. Once was enough though, I'm just not a fan. I like some radio hits, just can't get into it. And their new album blows. Get it the fuck off my phone.
    Fresh take. I like it.
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #323
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Please let me know how I can remove that album from my phone. It's like my phone caught a virus when that appeared. That image of Bono on my iTunes needs to go ASAP. I hear them enough on the radio. That's about all I can tolerate.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #324
    comeandsee41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

how is it ball washing to simply like a band? no one said they are perfect and every single song is incredible. we just said they kick ass live.
    Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #325
    aggiekjw

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

These numbers aren't bad. Many bands are struggling to sell tickets. Arcade Fire's last tour was terrible. They won album of the year and are in their prime.
    aggiekjw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #326
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You can pull Phish tickets for their show Wednesday night at a venue that holds less than 8K people.

How can we explain this?
    Quote:
    Phish has never been anywhere near as commercially successful as DMB. No stadium tours, always worked in smaller venues/theaters, etc.

It's also a one off in Kansas City on a Wednesday between two night stands in cities many people planned travel for (Atlanta and Alpine).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjs4410 View Post
    Phish is absolutely on fire this summer tour.
    Yep.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    As is DMB. Great tour so far.
    Nope.

As a tour this summer has been completely forgettable for DMB. In two years they have not matched Camden 2 '13. Yes, there have been a few great shows and Dave brought Let You Down back but some of the shows have been straight up bad.

By comparison (and only since it was brought up) Phish has played on bad show so far and everything else has been at least above average. The most jaded Phish fans out there are raving about this summer.

And as per usual, they'll surpass DMB's 37 show unique song count tonight in their 11th of the summer.

Last edited by DMBzilla; 08-05-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #327
    Spaceman8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Phish has never been anywhere near as commercially successful as DMB. No stadium tours, always worked in smaller venues/theaters, etc.

It's also a one off in Kansas City on a Wednesday between two night stands in cities many people planned travel for (Atlanta and Alpine).

Yep.

Nope.

As a tour this summer has been completely forgettable for DMB. In two years they have not matched Camden 2 '13. Yes, there have been a few great shows and Dave brought Let You Down back but some of the shows have been straight up bad.

By comparison (and only since it was brought up) Phish has played on bad show so far and everything else has been at least above average. The most jaded Phish fans out there are raving about this summer.

And as per usual, they'll surpass DMB's 37 show unique song count tonight in their 11th of the summer.
    didnt you forget about DMB like 4 years ago?
    Spaceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #328
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spaceman8 View Post
    didnt you forget about DMB like 4 years ago?
    You registered for this site within the last 5 days and have Spaceman in your username.

Enjoy your new alter!
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #329
    Spaceman8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    You registered for this site within the last 5 days and have Spaceman in your username.

Enjoy your new alter!
    No, I mean it...not even trying to be a dick. I'm just thinking there's gotta be SOMETHING that still draws you to DMB.
    Spaceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #330
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    Please let me know how I can remove that album from my phone. It's like my phone caught a virus when that appeared. That image of Bono on my iTunes needs to go ASAP. I hear them enough on the radio. That's about all I can tolerate.
    Ah wtf? I just realized I have that album too. Knew I shouldn't have updated my phone. Fucking U2.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote