Live Trax Vol. 40 - 12.21.02 Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY - Page 27 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #781
OneSweetMonkey
O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Vol. 40 - 12.21.02 Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl116 View Post
How's the video quality? Similar to the DIDO youtube clip?
I honestly didn't watch the DIDO video. But It looks great. It's in 4:3 ratio, but it looks and sounds really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Fantastic news that they have correctly authored a lossless surround option, although I was hoping for Dolby TrueHD or PCM because I haven't figured out yet how to rip dts-MA intact (I can only rip the lossy dts core). This is the first time ever we have live DMB in lossless surround sound so here's to that!

For the listening, I'd try 2 mins of one song then rewind it to the start and switch audio options and see which one sounds best to you. Choose that one. There really isn't a set rule. There may be a volume difference between the two but I wouldn't let that affect your decision, volume match, then listen, then decide.
I tried that! The HD 5.1 wins, for sure. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinddog View Post
long time lurker here, first time poster. but i'm near apoplectic and had to come on here to check...

i just put the "Blu-Ray" disc on. and.......... definitely NOT high-definition. it has the bars on the side and the picture is not hd (either 720 or 1080). it's 480 at best. honestly, some of the past DVD's they've put out look better than this.

it's not even 16:9! it's 4:3!!!

is this a joke? or did i get a bad copy? please tell me they didn't FINALLY release a concert on BluRay and made it standard crappy definition...
There is actually a disclaimer that pops up as soon as the bluray boots up, before the menu page appears that says that it's been converted from standard definition to high definition. So yeah, since it wasn't filmed in high def, it's not going to look at brilliant as something that was. That being said, the main benefit to having the bluray is going to be the sound, not so much the picture. Even though the picture is fine.
OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #782
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i'm glad you are satisfied. seriously. but this let me down so badly because i just ASSUMED that it being on BluRay meant High-Def video.

i won't even get into the fact that i have a 4k UHD TV with a 4k BluRay player. it's not like i'm asking for 4k quality here (although that shouldn't be out of the question either). i'm asking for 15 year old quality, and they can't even do that. DMB is now TWO LEVELS OF VIDEO QUALITY behind current standard.

i understand what you're saying that audio quality is more important when it comes to bands and music. but CD's and Tidal lossless streaming takes care of that for me. when i put a concert on the television, it's usually when i have people over and everyone crowds around and WATCHES. and DMB deserves to be seen in full HD glory. the picture i'm looking at now is absolute sh*t. i have the top of the line UHD Samsung with upscaling 4k BluRay..... it does nothing. the bleeding is terrible. what should be black is fuzzy gray. it literally looks like a VHS tape.

again, embarrassing is the only word i can come up with. put this great show on CD. and for a BluRay release, give us ANY FRICKIN SHOW SHOT IN HIGH DEFINITION.
    I have a 2013 Panny plasma so LCD-based technology, 4K or otherwise, just doesn't cut it for me. I am very excited to move to 4K, but will definitely have to wait for OLED to drop in price to acheive (and beat) the same inky black levels only plasma is capable of.

There are caveats with all technology, are you aware that most of the 4K UHD Blu-ray discs released to date are 2K masters? There are other advantages to buying the disc similar to buying LT40 on Blu-ray over DVD, object-based audio codecs like Atmos, better color (10-bit Rec.2020) and High Dynamic Range...I'd wager most people are watching Oblivion on 4K UHD BD saying "look how much better it looks" not realizing the raw resolution is identical to Blu-ray (and yes, it still looks awesome).

The Revenant, Deadpool, Lucy - couple examples there of flims kept at minimum 4K throughout the chain...just in case you want a title that will really show off the pure resolution advantage as well as HDR, etc.

As for audio, CD and Tidal don't take care of me because usually stereo mixes are dynamically compressed quite a bit more than surround mixes. People don't listen to surround on earbuds while working out, or typically in their cars (a few exceptions I know, but the general rule cars = 2.0 only), so generally they are not mastered as "hot" as the stereo mixes. This is the first opportunity to get a lossless, fully dynamic full band mix!!

For evidence, average dynamic range:

Listener Supported (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...album=listener)
    CD - DR8
    5.1 - DR14

Live Trax Vol 32 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...m=live+trax+32)
    CD - DR8
    5.1 - DR14

Folsom Field (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...s&album=Folsom)
    CD - DR6 (ugh)
    5.1 - DR13

Live Trax 28 (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...m=live+trax+28)
    CD - DR9
    5.1 - DR13

Live @ Radio City (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...bum=radio+city)
    CD - DR8
    5.1 - DR11

At the end of the day you're the victim of not making an informed purchase, but I do totally sympathize and understand where you're coming from. In the meantime if you want a few HD tracks, install the YouTube ripper into Firefox and download a few of the Summer Tour Samplers. The Toronto 2013 Idea of You looks pretty good for extremely compressed 1080p (@ 3Mbps vs. Blu-ray 40 Mbps)

Last edited by dobyblue; 12-06-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #783
    kinddog

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have a 2013 Panny plasma so LCD-based technology, 4K or otherwise, just doesn't cut it for me. I am very excited to move to 4K, but will definitely have to wait for OLED to drop in price to acheive (and beat) the same inky black levels only plasma is capable of.
    i also had a Panasonic plasma but the Samsung JS9500 with full-array led backlights, HDR, and WCG (along with 4k) was just too good. the edge-lit Samsung's are not good in terms of black level and uniformity... but the full array? totally different ballgame. better than plasma, IMO, and on par with the oled's with higher peak nit brightness levels. i considered the LG oled's but i heard Panasonic will eventually be getting into the oled game and blow the LG's out of the water, so i'll wait for that before going oled. the competition will bring prices down too.

Quote:
    There are caveats with all technology, are you aware that most of the 4K UHD Blu-ray discs released to date are 2K masters? There are other advantages to buying the disc similar to buying LT40 on Blu-ray over DVD, object-based audio codecs like Atmos, better color (10-bit Rec.2020) and High Dynamic Range...I'd wager most people are watching Oblivion on 4K UHD BD saying "look how much better it looks" not realizing the raw resolution is identical to Blu-ray (and yes, it still looks awesome). The Revenant, Deadpool, Lucy - couple examples there of flims kept at minimum 4K throughout the chain...just in case you want a title that will really show off the pure resolution advantage as well as HDR, etc.
    yes i'm aware that most 4k BluRays are actually upscaled 2k's. there's a helpful website that lists what movies are which. and yes, Revenant is unreal.

Quote:
    At the end of the day you're the victim of not making an informed purchase, but I do totally sympathize and understand where you're coming from.
    at the end of the day, this is the first Blu-Ray i've ever even HEARD OF where the video content on the disc is not HD quality (i.e. 720 or higher). i assumed something very easily assumable. i know i am not the only person who equates "blu-ray" with "high definition". after all, that was the original damn purpose of blu-ray technology! it would have helped if on the order page, there was a large disclaimer saying "this is NOT in high definition video" or something of the like.
    kinddog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #784
    C23rainman

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>Hilly</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">Wait for the mix!</div>
    </div>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Don't care. Completely biased because I was there and this is my favorite show out of my 76 and the one release I've always wanted. And it comes with video!
    Right there with you...79 shows deep, with some real gems, and this is the one I will always remember. So glad they released it as a LT and blu ray. Gonna watch it tonight and reminisce about that feeling that the Garden was going to collapse as it swayed under us!!!
    C23rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #785
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i'm glad you are satisfied. seriously. but this let me down so badly because i just ASSUMED that it being on BluRay meant High-Def video.

i won't even get into the fact that i have a 4k UHD TV with a 4k BluRay player. it's not like i'm asking for 4k quality here (although that shouldn't be out of the question either). i'm asking for 15 year old quality, and they can't even do that. DMB is now TWO LEVELS OF VIDEO QUALITY behind current standard.

i understand what you're saying that audio quality is more important when it comes to bands and music. but CD's and Tidal lossless streaming takes care of that for me. when i put a concert on the television, it's usually when i have people over and everyone crowds around and WATCHES. and DMB deserves to be seen in full HD glory. the picture i'm looking at now is absolute sh*t. i have the top of the line UHD Samsung with upscaling 4k BluRay..... it does nothing. the bleeding is terrible. what should be black is fuzzy gray. it literally looks like a VHS tape.

again, embarrassing is the only word i can come up with. put this great show on CD. and for a BluRay release, give us ANY FRICKIN SHOW SHOT IN HIGH DEFINITION.
    This is one reason I wasn't excited for this release. Just release the audio version of this and use something actually shot in HD for a BLU-RAY on another Live Trax or official release of something later.

I don't think all that many fans are doing homework on understanding how this all was taped and transferred. They were just excited about getting a BLU-RAY video anything from DMB. They are in for negative surprise much like kinddog.

I also don't think more than 5% of purchasers are going to turn off the video of this and just sit and listen to how great it sounds. That's typically not why your average fan, typical music lover, movie watcher, DMB fans buy video.

Again, audiophiles are different. Dobyblue is as excited about this as he was about the Crash Vinyl. I am happy for him and others that have the ears and capability to enjoy this.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #786
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Live Trax Vol. 40 - 12.21.02 Madison Square Garden, New York City, NY

Has anyone who ordered the calendar gotten a shipping notification? I'm starting to think I should have ordered the CD/Blu-Ray separately because I still haven't gotten anything.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #787
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
    Has anyone who ordered the calendar gotten a shipping notification? I'm starting to think I should have ordered the CD/Blu-Ray separately because I still haven't gotten anything.
    If you order things together and one item hasn't been released yet, they wait until the shipping date on that item to send everything. Case in point... I ordered LT 39 with LT 40 weeks ago and I got them both today.
    Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #788
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    If you order things together and one item hasn't been released yet, they wait until the shipping date on that item to send everything. Case in point... I ordered LT 39 with LT 40 weeks ago and I got them both today.
    But LT40 and the calendar were both set to ship on the same day, which is why it's strange.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #789
    thewitt85

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    This is one reason I wasn't excited for this release. Just release the audio version of this and use something actually shot in HD for a BLU-RAY on another Live Trax or official release of something later.

I don't think all that many fans are doing homework on understanding how this all was taped and transferred. They were just excited about getting a BLU-RAY video anything from DMB. They are in for negative surprise much like kinddog.

I also don't think more than 5% of purchasers are going to turn off the video of this and just sit and listen to how great it sounds. That's typically not why your average fan, typical music lover, movie watcher, DMB fans buy video.

Again, audiophiles are different. Dobyblue is as excited about this as he was about the Crash Vinyl. I am happy for him and others that have the ears and capability to enjoy this.
    You're actually complaining that they released extra material for us and are suggesting they should limit what they give us....... it's a legendary show with a legendary guest that they have video of, so they included options for all of it. Get over it. It's not a 2016 show. Get over it. You can listen to Seven and Why I Am many, many other places.
    thewitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #790
    ncrstlr1

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone that ordered the calendar along with the Bluray/CD option received a shipping notification? Just curious, I saw someone ask earlier but did not see a response or I may have missed someone answer them.
    Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #791
    kinddog

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewitt85 View Post
    You're actually complaining that they released extra material for us and are suggesting they should limit what they give us....... it's a legendary show with a legendary guest that they have video of, so they included options for all of it. Get over it. It's not a 2016 show. Get over it. You can listen to Seven and Why I Am many, many other places.
    he didn't do any of that. what are you even talking about?

he merely agreed with me that 99% of people know what HD video quality is, and are quite used to it here in 2016. and 99% of people could give a sh*t less that the 7.1 surround option has slightly less dynamic "loudness" than regular surround. (no offense, dobyblue, if you like it. but i'm an audiophile too, and even i couldn't care less)

i watched the whole concert, i was not particularly impressed with either the setlist or the performance. they have a ton of other shows that are better in every way and were also recorded in HD.... making a Blu-Ray an actual f'ing Blu-Ray as everyone commonly knows it.

hell i'd take the dreaded 6/6/01 Turner Field debacle over this show if it were presented in HIGH DEFINITION on blu-ray. i have a LOT of great DMB shows that i can listen to any time i want. from any year. lots of them. LOTS OF THEM.

what i don't have is a *high definition* blu-ray presentation of the Dave Matthews Band playing live goddamn music. sorry if this little bait and switch "blu-ray" offer leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth.
    Old 12-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #792
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i also had a Panasonic plasma but the Samsung JS9500 with full-array led backlights, HDR, and WCG (along with 4k) was just too good. the edge-lit Samsung's are not good in terms of black level and uniformity... but the full array? totally different ballgame. better than plasma, IMO, and on par with the oled's with higher peak nit brightness levels. i considered the LG oled's but i heard Panasonic will eventually be getting into the oled game and blow the LG's out of the water, so i'll wait for that before going oled. the competition will bring prices down too.
    ANSI contrast and minimum luminance levels are measurable, they are not things that change based on opinions. The JS9500 is not Samsung's top of the line FLAD 4K LED set, that's the KS9800. The 78" $10,000 model was included in this year's HDTV shootout along with the LG 65" G6 OLED and Sony's 75" FALD XBR-75X940D. Okay there was a Vizio set there too but it didn't fare well, coming in dead last in every category except off-axis performance where it was third.

The only category the LG OLED didn't win handily was daytime performance, and people concerned with PQ don't watch TV in a room that isn't light-controlled. Full results - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...dbdd6cd2a6.jpg

The measured black level of the Samsung with an ANSI checkerboard pattern is 0.045 cd/m2 which is the equivalent of 0.013 foot lamberts. The LG OLED in the same pattern hits 0 cd/m2, that's 0.00000 foot lamberts or a true black which results in the first TV technology to have a true infinite contrast ratio. There is a very stark difference in performance, particularly when watching any scope content (2.39:1), 4:3 content or content with lots of heightened contrast. When I last attended the shootout the first UHD BD player wasn't out yet but Sony were nice enough to send along a box with a 4K mastered version of Spiderman2 on it. The 1080p sets were fed the signal too converted obviously, while several 4K sets were fed the full resolution. It was stunning detail, but the little 50" 1080p LG OLED (they didn't have a 4K OLED out yet) just blew everyone else away. It was truly a picture floating on the wall as the black bars disappeared, whereas the 4K LED sets were various shades of grey. Nowhere near as noticeable in the day environment testing, but as soon as Value Electronics sealed all the windows it was game over for the LED sets.

LED's shortcomings are why the Ultra HD Premium certification has two standards, one designed for the extremely deep blacks that only OLED can do, and the other to allow LED sets to still pass Ultra HD Premium certification. The certification for LEDs means they can achieve 1000 nits peak brightness (292 fL) and hit 0.05 nits black level (0.015 fL) while OLED must hit 540 nits (157 fL) and hit 0.0005 nits (0.00014 fL). LEDs have no hope of achieving these sort of black levels with any sort of content on the screen (with a 0 IRE black test pattern they simply turn the entire screen off which is why ANSI test patterns are used, you want to see black level performance with content on the screen to get a better idea of what real world performance will be) and given Samsung's global power, two certifications were agreed upon.

Panasonic brought out their 4K OLED at the end of Summer 2015 to the EU market. Regular HDTV shootout expert attendee David Mackenzie reviewed it in January of this year and said "Panasonic’s video processing and panel driver combined with LG Display’s OLED is the combination we’ve been waiting for, and while the CZ952/ CZ950 is not a perfect product, it still produces the overall best image we’ve seen from a TV."

Keep in mind Panasonic source all their OLED panels from LG, while everything else behind the panel is Panasonic who bring their huge industry expertise in encoding Blu-ray discs at Panasonic Hollywood Labs for 20th Century Fox, Buena Vista/Pixar/Disney, along with their professional camera expertise, former Pioneer display experts, etc., to the table so it's no surprise they have once again created the best possibly display on the market. I look forward very much to the North America market seeing Panny OLEDs but I'm still about 2 years away from considering an upgrade so my 60"VT60 Kuro-killer will suffice for now.

Quote:
    at the end of the day, this is the first Blu-Ray i've ever even HEARD OF where the video content on the disc is not HD quality (i.e. 720 or higher). i assumed something very easily assumable. i know i am not the only person who equates "blu-ray" with "high definition". after all, that was the original damn purpose of blu-ray technology! it would have helped if on the order page, there was a large disclaimer saying "this is NOT in high definition video" or something of the like.
    The original purpose of the technology was to replace DVD for use in every facet; data archiving, audio and video recording, software distribution, video games, etc. The first specification was announced in 2002 four years before the format finally launched as a next generation optical disc format. There are hundreds of Blu-ray Disc releases without ANY video content on them!

You are definitely not the only one who equates Blu-ray with high definition, mob mentality doesn't mean it's right. I'm sure lots of people would be surprised to know that the second Star Wars movie for example was filmed at 1440x1080 and doesn't acheive full Blu-ray resolution, 28 Days Later (other than the final scene where Cillian Murphy hits the roads in London) was filmed with a Canon camera with maximum 600 lines resolution, several concert Blu-rays from Eagle Rock (Knebworth for example, featuring Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Tears for Fears, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd) and a few from Warner Brothers like Dire Straits Alchemy (see the official trailer for the quality of that one here, advertised as "now finally restored to pristine High Definition visual clarity" despite the source material being VHS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqiHnXBWaoY).

I don't think you'll have any issues selling your copy online.

Completely transitioning to 4K will be some time coming for concert releases. We're only just now seeing full 4K workflows for major hollywood motion pictures grossing tens of millions of dollars and up. Fox are still shooting the World Series in 720p with the exception of a few replay cameras at 4K and 300 fps or something like that. It'll come, but you'll see the usual suspects like Peter Gabriel I'm sure releasing Ultra HD Blu-ray concerts long before DMB does. Filament currently use the Sony HSC 100 cameras which are capable of up to 1080i60 (they're US$18k/each). https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HSC100R/

Last edited by dobyblue; 12-06-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #793
    thewitt85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    he didn't do any of that. what are you even talking about?

he merely agreed with me that 99% of people know what HD video quality is, and are quite used to it here in 2016. and 99% of people could give a sh*t less that the 7.1 surround option has slightly less dynamic "loudness" than regular surround. (no offense, dobyblue, if you like it. but i'm an audiophile too, and even i couldn't care less)

i watched the whole concert, i was not particularly impressed with either the setlist or the performance. they have a ton of other shows that are better in every way and were also recorded in HD.... making a Blu-Ray an actual f'ing Blu-Ray as everyone commonly knows it.

hell i'd take the dreaded 6/6/01 Turner Field debacle over this show if it were presented in HIGH DEFINITION on blu-ray. i have a LOT of great DMB shows that i can listen to any time i want. from any year. lots of them. LOTS OF THEM.

what i don't have is a *high definition* blu-ray presentation of the Dave Matthews Band playing live goddamn music. sorry if this little bait and switch "blu-ray" offer leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth.
    Ummm yeah he did. Saying just release the audio version of this is asking them not to include the DVD and/or Blu-ray. The 2016 comments goes back to a million posts he's made complaining that this release is not as good as a 2016 show would be. If he didn't want the video, he can just not purchase it... plenty of us very happy to have it
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #794
    kinddog

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The JS9500 is not Samsung's top of the line FLAD 4K LED set, that's the KS9800.

i bought it last year, when it was the TOTL. KS is the '16 model. with very few differences.

and i like the curve.

LG processors and software are not up to the Samsungs. the Samsungs beat the LG oled in real world testing, in terms of which picture people actually prefer.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1469512604

i like oled technology a lot but it's not quite ready for prime time. 3 more years and Panasonic in the game and it will be. and that is when i will buy one.

And no offense, but literally nothing in all of that you typed out was new to me. i'm quite well-versed in this stuff. just don't want you to waste your time.

and being well-versed, i stand by my original contention.... DMB advertising and selling a BluRay with standard-def crap video on it is fucking busch league. and not making it crystal clear on the order page was negligence at best and a seriously dick move at worst.

- the mob

Last edited by kinddog; 12-06-2016 at 09:09 PM.
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #795
    RMinor205

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Doby, when you say 1080i60, does the 60 represent fps?
    RMinor205 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #796
    slilly2321

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But LT40 and the calendar were both set to ship on the same day, which is why it's strange.

Yea I'm kind of pissed about this I was under the impression everything was all set to be released at the same time which is why I added the calendar and now I'm stuck still waiting for a shipping confirmation while everyone else is already getting it...I should of know better I guess but don't get why the calendar would hold everything up
    slilly2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #797
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewitt85 View Post
    First off, it's not bonus material if you have to pay extra for it.

Second, kinddog just proved that it is indeed not worth it for the blurayand in fact sucks in quality.

Funny the first legit review of this to come in just proves what I've been saying all along. You will never admit it at this point even if you don't like it, but I sincerely hope it's worth every penny to you and becomes your favorite release for how much you are salivating over it. I'll watch some copperpot vids until they release something I want.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #798
    thewitt85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First off, it's not bonus material if you have to pay extra for it.

Second, kinddog just proved that it is indeed not worth it for the blurayand in fact sucks in quality.

Funny the first legit review of this to come in just proves what I've been saying all along. You will never admit it at this point even if you don't like it, but I sincerely hope it's worth every penny to you and becomes your favorite release for how much you are salivating over it. I'll watch some copperpot vids until they release something I want.
    Why does it bother you that they offered an option for people to purchase something extra for those who want it? That makes no sense. I never said it was bonus material, I said they released extra.... which they did. Wanting them to only offer the method you'd prefer to listen to the release in is really very strange.

As far as your other point, some people care about audio quality...
    Old 12-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #799
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RMinor205 View Post
    Doby, when you say 1080i60, does the 60 represent fps?
    With interlaced it's fields per second but for concerts until we get full progressive 60 frames per second, 1080i60 will be best for fast motion (strobe lighting effects, etc). In 2005 progressive may have been preferred due to deinterlacing artifacts but today's TVs generally don't have deinterlacing issues.

Quote:
    i bought it last year, when it was the TOTL. KS is the '16 model. with very few differences.

and i like the curve.

LG processors and software are not up to the Samsungs. the Samsungs beat the LG oled in real world testing, in terms of which picture people actually prefer.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1469512604

i like oled technology a lot but it's not quite ready for prime time. 3 more years and Panasonic in the game and it will be. and that is when i will buy one.

And no offense, but literally nothing in all of that you typed out was new to me. i'm quite well-versed in this stuff. just don't want you to waste your time.

and being well-versed, i stand by my original contention.... DMB advertising and selling a BluRay with standard-def crap video on it is fucking busch league. and not making it crystal clear on the order page was negligence at best and a seriously dick move at worst.

- the mob
    I am not sure you understand the meaning of the word literally, because Panasonic has been in the OLED game since September 2015 so clearly some of this is new(s?) to you.

People picked the Samsung F8500 at the 2013 shootout, doesn't mean it was a better set than the VT60/ZT60 Panasonic plasmas. The "genpop" vote went to the F8500 because it was brighter. I picked the VT60, the experts in attendance did too. Basing your vote solely on HDR content which represents less than 1% of available material doesn't sound like "real world material" to me. Brightness is like bug zappers, it's why cheaper LCDs sell better in WalMart with its 400 nits store environment. People buzz straight for them, the UK popular vote is no surprise. I wouldn't want the retinal damage that 1400 nits peak output will provide and the E6 isn't the LG flagship model. For the general public, people like yourself when it comes to audio that don't care about lossless surround sound and fidelity are similar to people with video...we saw this with plasma where for most people the best picture quality wasn't the technology that sold the most but rather the sets that looked the brightest.

Also when someone types "even I couldn't care less" it implies that it is incredulous that anyone would care about dynamic range compression given that you don't, which proves two things: 1) you're not an audiophile and 2) you might have NPD? Stating that Joe 6 Pack doesn't care is redundant. Entire forums exist because of the niche market of people who do care about this stuff (actual audiophiles), several audiophile labels exist because of this stuff including two brand new labels in the last 15 months (Analog Spark and Intervention Records). This is why the Steve Hoffman forums advise people to fill out their equipment profile before commenting on the quality of releases so people know what they're listening on. There is obviously no such rule here, but when someone makes an audacious claim about being an audiophile without mentioning whether they're listening on a Yamaha soundbar or a combination of Naim sources and power with Kudos speakers...you can understand why someone might post a rolleyes smiley.

Quote:

How do you "prove" something that's subjective? Also the bolded is an ad hominem fallacy.

Last edited by dobyblue; 12-07-2016 at 04:28 AM.
    Old 12-07-2016, 04:35 AM   #800
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    they have a ton of other shows that are better in every way and were also recorded in HD....
    Given how many there are, can you give us 10 examples so we know what you mean by "better in every way"?
    Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #801
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Now the store says ship on or around December 13. I did the same thing, would have been nice to have been communicated as this was originally supposed to be released on the same time frame of LT 40.

However the bundle still says ship December 6.
    Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 AM   #802
    DeuceStep

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Ants, can we get a drop-the-mic emoticon for Doby please?
    DeuceStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #803
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeuceStep View Post
    Just backyard, Doby dropping mad knowledge again as usual.

Or this one would be good
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i4D9iQwKfB...1600/jESSE.jpg
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #804
    DeuceStep

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

Yeah he is, class is in session. In full HD.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIdUlp3QAsk

Last edited by DeuceStep; 12-07-2016 at 05:24 AM.
    DeuceStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #805
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeuceStep View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

I just want to know if dude thinks the LT 40 Blu Ray is any good. All of a sudden my opinion is solely based on what he says about it.
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #806
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Funny the first legit review of this to come in just proves what I've been saying all along.
    Wait a minute...

12:13pm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ld41 View Post
    Pretty awesome!! Watching blu ray!! Holiday sampler great also!!!
    3:15pm
    Quote:
    The mix is amazing. Nobody is too loud. Fonz sounds fanstastic.
    (above poster followed up with "It looks great. It's in 4:3 ratio, but it looks and sounds really good.")

Kinddog posts at 4:20pm yet their post is the "first legit review"?

Can we conclude then based on your assessment that reviews are only legit if they don't like the release?

Quote:
    I just want to know if dude thinks the LT 40 Blu Ray is any good. All of a sudden my opinion is solely based on what he says about it.
    You have already stated that you think it sounds really good, you shouldn't change your opinion based on what I think about it. Plus...mine is shipping to Canada, so it's gonna be a while!

I've attempted to temper expectations on picture quality right from the first page. I have given legitimate reasons why someone may choose to consider spending more on the Blu-ray for $5. They also offer DVD and audio-only options. I do not see why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over this release. How often do vinyl records state the full source lineage? Are all those artists negligent dicks?

If it sounds good, that's awesome! Crank it up and enjoy it.
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #807
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I look forward to downloading this tomorrow to listen.

Opted out of getting the video.

Happy to have that option to get the video if I wanted though.

Its good to have options.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #808
    ncrstlr1

My Tour Central Stats

I called Music Today and they advised the calendar was holding up the shipping. I informed them the combo that I ordered still indicated a ship date of December 6, so they offered and upgraded the shipping of the Blu-ray and CD's to ASAP and calendar will ship out when ready.
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #809
    thewitt85

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    I look forward to downloading this tomorrow to listen.

Opted out of getting the video.

Happy to have that option to get the video if I wanted though.

Its good to have options.
    I don't really understand how someone could feel differently
    Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #810
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

it's all context

if you were dead set on a 2016 release, you'd be looking for any reason to denigrate a non-2016 release too
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote