***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread*** - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #31
Grouty

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggie24 View Post
I remember watching two premier league games one sat to be followed by the MLS opening games. Totally painful and depressing.
Well its a bit unfair to compare really with the Premiership being one of, if not the greatest league in the world, because the MLS has had to deal with the fact that football just isn't as popular in America. As it grows in popularity (which Beckham hopes his move will lead to, though I'm skeptical) then people will become more involved and more talent will come through and the league will start to produce better sides and better football.
Grouty is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #32
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Champions League etc. Thread***

it would be nice if the english started to appreciate baseball the way we do foottball...maybe increase the popularity of the sport worldwide
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #33
    eggie24

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty View Post
    Well its a bit unfair to compare really with the Premiership being one of, if not the greatest league in the world, because the MLS has had to deal with the fact that football just isn't as popular in America. As it grows in popularity (which Beckham hopes his move will lead to, though I'm skeptical) then people will become more involved and more talent will come through and the league will start to produce better sides and better football.
    you can only say that cause you live in england. im totally allowed to complain about the crap football here in the states. of course i dont expect it to be as good as the premier league, and i truly value how much it has grown here since i started playing back in 1985. i can still totally be jealous of the quality football and great environment when watching games that you have and we will most likely never have.

"My hands are high, And I'm holding out, holding up. Because I figure that I just might make it. And I'm waking empty but seldom sleeping. And the words repeat breathing histories into stories untold. And I unfold." - Jason Mraz
    eggie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #34
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alexi Lalas compared the two... Better yet, he actually called the EPL inferior to the MLS
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #35
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggie24 View Post
    you can only say that cause you live in england. im totally allowed to complain about the crap football here in the states. of course i dont expect it to be as good as the premier league, and i truly value how much it has grown here since i started playing back in 1985. i can still totally be jealous of the quality football and great environment when watching games that you have and we will most likely never have.
    Sorry I didn't mean to say you didn't have the right to complain or be jealous, just saying hopefully in time it will grow to become a better league and it is very possible that it will.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laststraw41 View Post
    Alexi Lalas compared the two... Better yet, he actually called the EPL inferior to the MLS
    Well hes bound to say that...even if he is talking out of his arse.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #36
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmudmbphan View Post
    it would be nice if the english started to appreciate baseball the way we do foottball...maybe increase the popularity of the sport worldwide
    I think we are very hypocritical in this sense in that we expect Americans to think football is the greatest sport in the world (which it is but thats another argument entirely) but rarely give American sports the chance. I for one would love to appreciate American sports more but don't really have the oppurtunity to as I don't have Sky Sports, or should I say I'm not allowed to have Sky Sports because I'd never do any school work.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #37
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think we are very hypocritical in this sense in that we expect Americans to think football is the greatest sport in the world (which it is but thats another argument entirely) but rarely give American sports the chance. I for one would love to appreciate American sports more but don't really have the oppurtunity to as I don't have Sky Sports, or should I say I'm not allowed to have Sky Sports because I'd never do any school work.

you should definitely try to get into it if you can...i think baseball is th best sport in the world
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

The U.S. could easily be a world power in soccer/football if all of our citizens were devoted to the sport.

Look at Brazil for example, over 180 million people live there, and the only sport they really play is soccer, so of course they are going to have a handful of amazing players. Whereas in America the majority of the population would rather play other, more popular (in the U.S.) sports such as baseball or American Football or basketball.

I'm sure if we looked through our entire population of over 300 million people, we could field a pretty damn good squad.

Also, back on topic, Torres will lead the EPL in goals this coming season.

EDIT: I was mistaken earlier, Twellman DID play, as well as Johnson, but those were the only 2 first team U.S. players that played against Argentina's top squad.

Last edited by laststraw41; 06-29-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    laststraw41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #39
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Hmm, I think Torres will need a season to adjust properly (like Drogba etc) before that but its possible. My money is on Drogba again, although my bias says that Van Persie will be up there scrapping for that Golden Boot this year.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #40
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Everyone I know are Arsenal fans. I think they became the "cool" team to like for people just getting into the sport or that don't know much about it, just as Manchester United was about 5 years ago when they had Beckham. When I ask most of my friends why they like Arsenal it was the same answer "I like Henry but now I don't want to just drop Arsenal as my team now that he left." This was the same response I got from some people that liked Man United when Beckham was there. I happen to love Manchester United because I love the history of the team.

....and because when I first got into the sport Beckham was my favorite player haha.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #41
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I doubt Torres will have what it takes in his first year. But I also think Drogba has no shot at it this year, Ballack and Shevchenko are absolute clowns, and Lampard is slipping as well. He needs more support to be able to do it, and watch for Kalou to step into the forefront of Chelsea's attack this year.

I also don't see Van Persie even leading Arsenal in scoring this year... I'm more intrigued by Theo Walcott's talent and expect him to do great things filling in for Henry, unless of course they pick up Tevez.

If Tevez were to come to a big club I think he could lead the EPL in scoring, he's already made it clear his wishes are to remain in the Barclay's.

There's a decent chance he end up at LFC as well, since he's spending a good amount of time with Javier Mascherano now for the Copa America.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #42
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Everyone I know are Arsenal fans. I think they became the "cool" team to like for people just getting into the sport or that don't know much about it, just as Manchester United was about 5 years ago when they had Beckham. When I ask most of my friends why they like Arsenal it was the same answer "I like Henry but now I don't want to just drop Arsenal as my team now that he left." This was the same response I got from some people that liked Man United when Beckham was there. I happen to love Manchester United because I love the history of the team.

....and because when I first got into the sport Beckham was my favorite player haha.
    Bergkamp was the man for me, just complete quality throughout his career and completely loyal to Arsenal. Although he wasn't the reason I got into Arsenal (that was more of a family thing). Yeah but Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run in the league, and the football they played in it really helped boost their popularity I think.

Quote:
    Yeah I doubt Torres will have what it takes in his first year. But I also think Drogba has no shot at it this year, Ballack and Shevchenko are absolute clowns, and Lampard is slipping as well. He needs more support to be able to do it, and watch for Kalou to step into the forefront of Chelsea's attack this year.

I also don't see Van Persie even leading Arsenal in scoring this year... I'm more intrigued by Theo Walcott's talent and expect him to do great things filling in for Henry, unless of course they pick up Tevez.

If Tevez were to come to a big club I think he could lead the EPL in scoring, he's already made it clear his wishes are to remain in the Barclay's.

There's a decent chance he end up at LFC as well, since he's spending a good amount of time with Javier Mascherano now for the Copa America.
    I think that Tevez is a good candidate for top goalscorer, depending where he ends up. I can't see him going to Anfield if Torres is signed though as it leaves less room for Kuyt who I believe to be quality, and two big names may not necessarily be a good thing. As for Walcott I think his development as a top class player might be stunted slightly by the loss of Henry as he no doubt influenced and helped him last season. Also Kalou is a good point too, ah so much to look foward to, can't wait for the season to start again (for playing reasons as well)

Last edited by Grouty; 06-29-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #43
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I have found my new home thread on Ants!!!

Nice to see people chatting it up over some soccer/futbol. I will toss my alligence behind ManU, only because, like one person stated earlier, when I first found the EPL over 15 years ago, I saw a ManU game and have followed them ever since. I love Ronaldo. He is an arrogent dick, just like Rooney, but they can both play. If you have the knads to back it up, I guess you be a arse on the pitch.

I do think that Aresenal will be a solid team this year, even without Henry. He didn't play that much this year with the team and the still finished in the top 4 of the EPL, finished runner up to Chelsea in the Carling Cup, and made the R. of 16 in Champs League. They are a young, and potentially dangerous, team.

I do like that no Chelsea supporters have chimed in yet. Let's keep it that way.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #44
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

I do hope your right about Arsenal. Despite some stuff I may have said earlier in the thread I am slightly apprehensive for this season at the moment.

As for the Chelsea fans, good call.
    Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #45
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

What I saw of Arsenal last year impressed me. They were able to contend on several fronts with a diminished squad. Tons of injuries, young players, lots of travel. I think only a few games this year that I saw did I think that Arsenal was playing for the 0-0 tie.

With some added time off, hopefully they can come out fast this season and give the Red Devils and Blues something worry about. And don't forget about LFC. They seem to be loading up for a huge push this year.
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #46
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

I'd watch out for Newcastle as well, they've added a number of talented players and are being taken over by a wealthy new owner so more is sure to come. It looks as though Owen might be staying a Toon as well.

It should be a good season and I hope the Reds can avenge for the unfortunate UCL final this past tournament.

Grouty: I believe Crouch to be a more valuable asset than Kuyt right now, but I do expect Kuyt to step into form this coming year similar to Drogba at Chelsea.
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #47
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

I am not so sure about Newcastle. They seem to enter every season as 'This is going to be the turn around year.' It never happens. Maybe with some new blood at Toon it will change, with the signing of Allardyce being huge, but I am still skepticle.

Does anyone feel that Everton can repeat what they did last year?

Last edited by whodat; 06-29-2007 at 03:06 PM.
    whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #48
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

They also signed Viduka, Barton, and have a healthy Owen (hopefully for them) returning. If they can hang on to Owen and keep him healthy I expect them to place top 7 and return to European competition.

As a Liverpool fan I dislike Everton and hope they do poorly, but I do love Tim Howard so I'd like to see him do well. Contradictory I know, but I don't see them pressing the big 4 anyway.

Tottenham, Newcastle, and Manc City will be the most threatening teams to the big 4 this season, IMO of course.
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #49
    eggie24

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They also signed Viduka, Barton, and have a healthy Owen (hopefully for them) returning. If they can hang on to Owen and keep him healthy I expect them to place top 7 and return to European competition.

As a Liverpool fan I dislike Everton and hope they do poorly, but I do love Tim Howard so I'd like to see him do well. Contradictory I know, but I don't see them pressing the big 4 anyway.

Tottenham, Newcastle, and Manc City will be the most threatening teams to the big 4 this season, IMO of course.
    I said this in another thread, i love owen, ive always loved owen, but he's just another big injury waiting to happen unfortunately. all those hamstring strains then the non-contact ACL tear? totally related to each other, damn shame really. I hope he stays healthy for a bit.

"My hands are high, And I'm holding out, holding up. Because I figure that I just might make it. And I'm waking empty but seldom sleeping. And the words repeat breathing histories into stories untold. And I unfold." - Jason Mraz
    eggie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #50
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

The chips are in Newcastles favor for sure, let's just see what they do with them. A healthy Owen would be very helpful this season. He should open up lots of chances for the rest of the team.

I should have known that you wouldn't give Everton much chance. I was impressed at how well they played through out the season. They had chances in every match and that is all you can ask for.

I agree with you about Newcastle and Spurs challenging for a top 7 spot, but I not so sure about City. Not just because I am a ManU fan, but because they looked horrible last season. Some games that I watched of City, I thought I was watching MLS for a second. It was that bad. But you never know what the new season will hold.
    Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #51
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah MC aren't in the best of shape but I really like Daniel Sturridge and think they could do well, maybe not this year but in the coming years for sure.

Especially with Sven on board

Last edited by laststraw41; 06-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    laststraw41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #52
    2steppinKJ
    Aboard the Hayne train.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I had flashbacks of Warren Barton (who played for the Toon in the late 90s). Good ol' times when they had Alan Shearer at his prime.
    Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #53
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

I almost forgot, Newcastle also got Rozenhal! They're looking verrry solid.

LFC will still mess them up
    Old 06-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #54
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Newcaslte are indeed looking considerably better, with Allardyce being the main reason for that. Although I agree with the person who said that it seems that Newcastle always seemed to be hyped up to a point where they fail to deliver.

Talking of Allardyce reminds me that I think Bolton won't be the force they have been in previous seasons. I reckon Arsenals "bogey" team could well be Newcastle this year rather than Bolton. Or simply put it is whoever Allardyce is managing.

I think that top 4 will be Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (not in that order) with the UEFA Cup spots going to Tottenham, Newcastle, and maybe Reading or Everton.
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #55
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Newcaslte are indeed looking considerably better, with Allardyce being the main reason for that. Although I agree with the person who said that it seems that Newcastle always seemed to be hyped up to a point where they fail to deliver.

Talking of Allardyce reminds me that I think Bolton won't be the force they have been in previous seasons. I reckon Arsenals "bogey" team could well be Newcastle this year rather than Bolton. Or simply put it is whoever Allardyce is managing.

I think that top 4 will be Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool (not in that order) with the UEFA Cup spots going to Tottenham, Newcastle, and maybe Reading or Everton.
    haha really going out on a limb with those picks! but yeah I agree with them.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #56
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah but realistically I don't know who I'd replace out of those with any of the teams below them so I thought I'd hedge my bets and play it safe on those 4. Not that my next 3 is anything out of the ordinary apart from Reading I guess.
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #57
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

Diego Forlan and Villareal have agreed on a 4 year deal with Atletico, Torres is all but done for Liverpool, all we need now is for him to return from holiday and sign.
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #58
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Well thats good, because it means the Forlan to Arsenal rumour had no merit. Now if he had come that would have pissed me off. I'm slightly worried about the seeming lack of anything close to a rumour in the last few days surrounding Arsenal buying a striker. However, things are usually kept quite quiet so who knows. Hopefully, waiting for Tevez to finish the Argentina and then we'll swoop in there for him.
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #59
    laststraw41
    Blue Sky Revisit

My Tour Central Stats

Tevez to Arsenal isn't looking so good anymore.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?...football_home&

""I would like to play at Real Madrid, but there is no offer from Real Madrid. I have yet to hear anything from Real," he told Radio Punta."

Looks like Tevez has aspiring hopes to play at Bernabeu, however it may not be the final result for him, so there is hope.
    Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #60
    Grouty

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck it! He's realistically the only player that I would be completely happy with coming to Emirates. Most of the other rumours I have my doubts over.

Tags
    soccer , uefa