*** Official Chula Vista 8/26/16 *** - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #31
whodat
CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Official Chula Vista 8/26/16 ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
thanks whodat

you actually bring up a good question. what have your experiences been like getting tickets to shows?

since the east coast has a stronger fan base (higher concentration of fans, more stops, bigger name venues, etc..), i've often had trouble getting good tickets to the shows. is it easier out there to get tickets?

i feel like Chula isn't as much of a hub for the fan base than MD/VA/DC where I'm coming from. Especially with the proximity to NY/NJ/New England.

like you, i dont have tix yet, but do lowers come available on the boards as we get closer?
When I lived out in Orange County, I always had tickets before the shows. Used the WH membership to the max and it paid off. From people that I know from years past that looked for tickets, they always said Chula was pretty easy to find. Place is freaking huge anyway, but if you want close, you may have to work a little to find tickets.

Irvine has become a tougher tickets over the years. As I mentioned earlier, that venue has become the de-facto LA show so it draws a heavy from both Orange and LA Counties. Most fans will not drive to Chula as this venue is in the fucking boonies and people don't want to deal with the weekend SD traffic to get in and out of the area. If you can find Loge tickets for Irvine I would jump on them, just try not to get to far on the outside as the speakers will block the edges of the stage. If you have a WH membership, try your hand at the Instant Tickets for either show when they pop up.

You mentioned the east coast shows and getting tickets and nothing on the west coast even comes close to what you have experienced in the east. I have been doing SPAC the last 3 years and every year I am working it to find tickets to one of the those nights. Gets stressful after a while. Never had that issue with Chula or Irvine. But is also been 4 years since I have been to a show at either venue so maybe times have changed. If a more recent attendee can chime in, we would both appreciate the feedback.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #32
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Whodat has hit everything except I do think the band treats Chula/Irvine as a de facto 2 night stand. For example, if you hear Jimi Thing at Chula you can guarantee you won't be hearing it at Irvine.

Yes, if there is a new song the band has decided to play at 90% of shows this year it will be repeat between Chula and Irvine but you get that at a lot of 2 night stands anyway.

Also:

Getting Good Seats to Irivne = as difficult as any big East Coast show.
    Getting Good Seats to Chula = can't imagine any show that is easier.

Last edited by DMBBeav; 04-26-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post
    Whodat has hit everything except I do think the band treats Chula/Irvine as a de facto 2 night stand. For example, if you hear Jimi Thing at Chula you can guarantee you won't be hearing it at Irvine.

Yes, if there is a new song the band has decided to play at 90% of shows this year it will be repeat between Chula and Irvine but you get that at a lot of 2 night stands anyway.

Also:

good to know
    Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #34
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post

Also:

It has been a few years, and many more gray hairs, since my last Chula/Irvine double so my memory may be fuzzy. I did look back at 2010, 2012 and 2013 and you are correct. There are very few repeats from the two nights. Just another reason to hit them both while you can.
    Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #35
    TwoStep01

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Well, there's always a chance of repeats if Dave pulls a "oh shit, we're on in five...better dash something out real quick like" type move. The last year they played both Irvine and Chula was 2014. Compare:

2014 Chula
    Little Red Bird
    Bartender
    Old Dirt Hill
    Two Step
    Snow Outside
    Tripping Billies
    Stolen Away
    What Would You Say
    -----------------------
    Minarets
    When The World Ends
    Seven
    Belly Belly Nice
    Crush
    Digging a Ditch
    The Song That Jane Likes
    Still Water
    Don't Drink the Water
    Drunken Soldier
    Save Me
    Long Black Veil
    Sledgehammer
    ------------------------
    Some Devil
    So Much to Say
    Jimi Thing

2014 Irvine
    Take Me To Tomorrow
    Stay or Leave
    Grace Is Gone
    Satellite
    Sugar Man
    Rhyme and Reason
    Typical Situation
    Ants Marching
    ---------------------------
    Best of What's Around
    Drive In Drive Out
    Why I Am
    Mercy
    Grey Street
    Lover Lay Down
    Dancing Nancies
    Warehouse
    Everyday
    You & Me
    Can't Stop
    Stay
    ----------------------------
    Belly Full
    Rooftop
    Shake Me Like a Monkey

So looks like no repeats that year. However I think there were some the year before. You never know, I guess.

Whodat and DMBBeav pretty well nailed everything else. Chula tix are easier to come by. Irvine did sell out last year, but I'm not sure how early. Tailgating is better at Chula. Still possible at Irvine, just keep things as hidden from view as possible.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    TwoStep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #36
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep01 View Post

So looks like no repeats that year. However I think there were some the year before. You never know, I guess.

Whodat and DMBBeav pretty well nailed everything else. Chula tix are easier to come by. Irvine did sell out last year, but I'm not sure how early. Tailgating is better at Chula. Still possible at Irvine, just keep things as hidden from view as possible.
    They will repeat songs that are being played at every venue - like Mercy in 2012, Shake Me and You and Me in 2010, certain Big Whiskey songs in 2009, etc...they also played Dreaming Tree in 2012 but that had more to do with Laslam Richards guesting...

...otherwise, they tend to not do repeats. And, again, if you go to a 2 night stand back East you are in danger of seeing the same repeats between shows anyway.
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 AM   #37
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like I will be able to make this show and Irvine this year. Don't have tickets as of yet, so looking for two tickets for both shows. Will be a nice end to what is shaping up to be an awesome summer.
    Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #38
    RomyMatthews

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

How impossible is it to reach the venue if I don't have a car?
    I am seriously reconsidering going because I am from abroad and I won't be able to drive there..
    Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #39
    ybatuba

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

you all ever seen this new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eje59zqMNOY
    ybatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #40
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RomyMatthews View Post
    I am seriously reconsidering going because I am from abroad and I won't be able to drive there..
    It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Just budget some extra cash for a nice long ride on Uber. Or you could look on San Diego Craigslist for rideshare.
    2001:Gorge x3; 2002:Gorge x3; 2003:Gorge x2; 2014:Chula Vista; 2015:Irvine; 2016:Chula Vista, Irvine; 2018:Atlanta, Mtn. View; 2021:Irvine x2; 2022: Chula Vista, Hollywood Bowl x2; 2023:Irvine x2;
    Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
    natelaw

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Moving from Indianapolis to Phoenix tomorrow. I saw the Cincinnati show a couple weeks ago but between missing the Deer Creek shows this year and the band not touring next year, I definitely think I'm going to have to see this show. Irvine won't be an option as I have to work Saturday evenings. Will this show be worth the 5 hour drive?
    natelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #42
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by natelaw View Post
    Moving from Indianapolis to Phoenix tomorrow. I saw the Cincinnati show a couple weeks ago but between missing the Deer Creek shows this year and the band not touring next year, I definitely think I'm going to have to see this show. Irvine won't be an option as I have to work Saturday evenings. Will this show be worth the 5 hour drive?
    Worth it? That's up to you.

But let's put it this way, I was more than ready to do a trip from LA to Phoenix or Vegas this year for a show. Of course, no shows there made it a moot point for me.

I say, do it. It's pretty much all desert driving. And coming from that direction you should miss the worst of the SD traffic. Make it so.
    Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #43
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm debating going to this show. I am definitely going to Irvine but would like to add one more show because they aren't touring next year.
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #44
    comeandsee41

My Tour Central Stats

hey guys, well, i'm finally a california resident!

question about traffic going to the venue. keep in mind, im coming from DC where Bristow is the home venue and the traffic getting there was made by the devil himself. seriously if you dont leave by 3pm, you're missing the first 2-3 songs.

anways, im living in Mission Valley now. in order to be in my seat before the show starts...say 8pm, what time do i need to leave? something tells me its nothing like back east. i guess whats traffic like generally getting to the venue?

thoughts?
    Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #45
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
    hey guys, well, i'm finally a california resident!

question about traffic going to the venue. keep in mind, im coming from DC where Bristow is the home venue and the traffic getting there was made by the devil himself. seriously if you dont leave by 3pm, you're missing the first 2-3 songs.

anways, im living in Mission Valley now. in order to be in my seat before the show starts...say 8pm, what time do i need to leave? something tells me its nothing like back east. i guess whats traffic like generally getting to the venue?

thoughts?

Last time I went to Chula I left Orange County at 3, fought Friday SD traffic, made it to the venue about an hour before showtime.

If you're coming from Mission Valley you're looking at about a 15 mile straight shot down the 805 then a few miles down Main St. to the venue. Getting in isn't a problem. Getting out might tax your patience, but I didn't have any issues getting in.

I'd budget an hour. The only real question is if you'll want to tailgate beforehand.

Last edited by TwoStep01; 06-22-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    Old 06-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #46
    comeandsee41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Last time I went to Chula I left Orange County at 3, fought Friday SD traffic, made it to the venue about an hour before showtime.

If you're coming from Mission Valley you're looking at about a 15 mile straight shot down the 805 then a few miles down Main St. to the venue. Getting in isn't a problem. Getting out might tax your patience, but I didn't have any issues getting in.

I'd budget an hour. The only real question is if you'll want to tailgate beforehand.
    cool, thanks for the info. i think my days of tailgaiting- especially where i dont know anyone- might be gone. so i dont mind getting there by 7:30ish. so far, traffic here hasn't been terrible, and even when its thick, its always moving.
    Old 06-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #47
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

I mean there definitely will be some traffic. But as long as there's no catastrophic accident mucking things up, it shouldn't be the kind of traffic the comes to a screeching halt. But if the worst does happen, Google and Waze are your friends.
    Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #48
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RomyMatthews View Post
    RomyMatthews if you're still checking in on here, I may be able to hook you up with a ride to the venue if you're still interested. I'll be driving down from Los Angeles that day so if you're flying into San Diego, I could always swing by and pick you up. My wife's father is from Holland so I'm sure she'd be down to help out. Message me if you're interested.

Last edited by TwoStep01; 06-22-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #49
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

^^ you should shoot him a PM as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #50
    RomyMatthews

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    RomyMatthews if you're still checking in on here, I may be able to hook you up with a ride to the venue if you're still interested. I'll be driving down from Los Angeles that day so if you're flying into San Diego, I could always swing by and pick you up. My wife's father is from Holland so I'm sure she'd be down to help out. Message me if you're interested.
    I have written you a PM!
    Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #51
    MooreSaxPlease

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Patiently waiting.. .
    8.25.06- 8.28.06- 9.28.06- 8.20.08- 8.22.08- 5.8.09- 5.9.09- 9.9.09- 9.10.09- 9.12.09- 9.13.09, (D&T: 12.10.09, 12.11.09, 12.12.09), 8.20.10- 8.21.10- 8.23.10- 9.7.12- 9.8.12- 9.5.14- 9.12.15- 8.26.16- 8.27.16
    MooreSaxPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #52
    TwoStep01

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MooreSaxPlease View Post
    Patiently waiting.. .
    Sitting still as stone. Watching....
    Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #53
    MooreSaxPlease

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sitting still as stone. Watching....
    8.25.06- 8.28.06- 9.28.06- 8.20.08- 8.22.08- 5.8.09- 5.9.09- 9.9.09- 9.10.09- 9.12.09- 9.13.09, (D&T: 12.10.09, 12.11.09, 12.12.09), 8.20.10- 8.21.10- 8.23.10- 9.7.12- 9.8.12- 9.5.14- 9.12.15- 8.26.16- 8.27.16
    Old 07-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #54
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Howdy party people. Will be out this way for the shows and excited to get back to one of my favorite venues. Anyone here remember the 02 or 06 shows? Some great shows and memories from those and many other shows. I am on the look out for 2 tickets for this show. I know there was a pretty big drop for this show, but holding out for something good in the 100's or pit. Keep me in mind of you have tickets and are looking to offload them. Thanks.
    Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #55
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

There's a 101, row Q, seat 27 for sale. Worth buying? Is there re-sale value should I not be able to make it/find a better ticket?
    Timebomb07 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #56
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    There's a 101, row Q, seat 27 for sale. Worth buying? Is there re-sale value should I not be able to make it/find a better ticket?
    That seat is fine, anything in the 100's and pit will be good. The venue is not very steep but fans out very wide and the seat is to the interior of that section. Sight line should be great.

As for resale, not sure. While a good seat, it is a single so you would need to find someone either looking for a single or someone already in that section looking for more tickets.
    Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #57
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    That seat is fine, anything in the 100's and pit will be good. The venue is not very steep but fans out very wide and the seat is to the interior of that section. Sight line should be great.

As for resale, not sure. While a good seat, it is a single so you would need to find someone either looking for a single or someone already in that section looking for more tickets.
    True. I'm used to singles for Hartford/SPAC, which tend to have demand as the shows get closer.

I guess I'll hold off for now. Thanks!
    Old 07-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #58
    MooreSaxPlease

My Tour Central Stats

FT: Chula Vista- Pit for Irvine- Orch. Trade only, NFS Thx
    Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #59
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Was anyone able to score instants for this show? Had pits in my cart and when I went to checkout, said no longer available. All was not lost though, was able to snag a pair for Irvine, $85 range. So just looking for pits for this show and I am all set for summer.
    Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #60
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Was anyone able to score instants for this show? Had pits in my cart and when I went to checkout, said no longer available. All was not lost though, was able to snag a pair for Irvine, $85 range. So just looking for pits for this show and I am all set for summer.

nice man.