**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 359 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #10741
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

I think it will only plummet if BTCS is done AAA, first pressing should hold some value so rather than value plummeting I think the potential buyer's market will plummet.

Original BTCS is most likely CD-sourced, differences noted between it and the CD could just be differences introduced by vinyl playback as a medium.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #10742
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

this is where I'll remind everyone that the price of BTCS right now has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the pressing, and everything to do with its rarity. that rarity will be completely obliterated with a repressing, and the prices people pay will plummet.

as soon as the repressing announcement is released, you will never see anyone pay over even 50 dollars for a vinyl copy by itself of BTCS again.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #10743
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Original BTCS is most likely CD-sourced, differences noted between it and the CD could just be differences introduced by vinyl playback as a medium.
    No way this is true, the BTCS vinyl is way more dynamic than the CD.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #10744
    OldN00b

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    this is where I'll remind everyone that the price of BTCS right now has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the pressing, and everything to do with its rarity. that rarity will be completely obliterated with a repressing, and the prices people pay will plummet.
    I agree with this 100%.

Quote:
    as soon as the repressing announcement is released, you will never see anyone pay over even 50 dollars for a vinyl copy by itself of BTCS again.
    I think there are a few things this depends on though. It surely won't be $350 anymore, but what if the BTCS reissue only comes as a 4 disc "deluxe" LP/BluRay set priced at $125. Or maybe for the reissue they alter the artwork in some way. Not that I'm saying that's entirely likely or folks around here wouldn't adore it, but I could see there being plenty of people who'd pay $100 for the OP if it was cheaper and all they wanted was the album on vinyl without the extras. Those reasons are why I opted for the OP of things like Achtung Baby or Odelay - the reissues probably sound better if for no other reason than they split them up into 2 discs, but at the time I couldn't find info on sourcing or how those were "remastered" and at their crazy price points, with excessive extras I'd never listen to, and edited/reworked artwork I opted for sealed OPs for less money.

That said, knowing what I know now about Odelay (ORG pressed and mastered by Bernie Grundman) I'd probably go with that in retrospect but not at what it goes for these days.
    OldN00b is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #10745
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    No way this is true, the BTCS vinyl is way more dynamic than the CD.
    It's most likely very true, it was done at STERLING in 1998 by a major label with zero interest in vinyl releases as an afterthought/novelty and likely no time at all was spent on it.

Quote:

A first pressing will still be a rarity, look at how much people pay for an original Robert (Bob) Ludwig cut of Zeppelin II still when there are countless other versions to choose from. The new Beatles Mono AAA vinyl set is abfab but those mono collections from Japan in the early 80s that were AAA and the original UK Parlophone pressings still command almost as much for a single album as you can get the new AAA set brand new.
    Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #10746
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

with all due respect, the demand for led zeppelin and the beatles is a little bit different than the demand for DMB
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #10747
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

A first pressing will still be a rarity, look at how much people pay for an original Robert (Bob) Ludwig cut of Zeppelin II still when there are countless other versions to choose from. The new Beatles Mono AAA vinyl set is abfab but those mono collections from Japan in the early 80s that were AAA and the original UK Parlophone pressings still command almost as much for a single album as you can get the new AAA set brand new.
    The people who would buy those versions grew up on vinyl. The majority of DMB fans were born in the 80's.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #10748
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's most likely very true, it was done at STERLING in 1998 by a major label with zero interest in vinyl releases as an afterthought/novelty and likely no time at all was spent on it.
    I concur with this. Very likely the dynamics and playback of the original BTCS pressing is just due to the differences heard on vinyl as a medium.

Ian Sheppard put together a good video explaining this to a degree, I think Doby might have shared it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AE9dL5FG8
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #10749
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Ian's video is good, many people swore the Daft Punk vinyl was a separate mastering with superior dynamics but it turned out it was the same high rez files used for the HD versions, they were all very dynamic especially for that genre of music.

Dreaming Tree vinyl rip vs. CD shows a difference of 3dB which is within what you'd expect for vinyl, BWGK DR score is 5dB different which is what I'd expect with a different mastering. Still there's no rule of thumb and none of us can prove the other wrong here.

Quote:
    with all due respect, the demand for led zeppelin and the beatles is a little bit different than the demand for DMB
    It's a very valid point. I completely agree that the value will never be the same once BTCS gets pressed, I think if you're patient enough you may still find someone willing to pay top dollar for a mint condition first pressing sealed with no promo cutouts but we're talking leave it on Discogs and sit back and wait.

I do think if they do it properly, AAA, that the bottom will fall completely out. Knowing the source material and source lineage and pressing house vs. the only thing going for the original which will be a first pressing of unknown origin will pretty much render it worthless.

If it's done the same as UTTAD then the market will shrink considerably but I'd still list it high and leave it, someone will come along one day and snag it. Then they'll AB it and find it's pretty much the same except for it's not as quiet as the new one and they'll have buyer's remorse.

Last edited by dobyblue; 01-23-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #10750
    trippingbillie4

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

No, I like to collect. I'm not going to sell, just interested. Thanks for all the replies!!

I have my favorite Beatles albums on mono. Are you thinking down the road the entire mono set might be worth a lot like the Japan set is?

Last edited by trippingbillie4; 01-23-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    trippingbillie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #10751
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Never say never, but if it does increase in value like that I can't see it happening for a very long time.
    Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #10752
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

excited to have come across this today at the shop

http://orgmusic.merchnow.com/product...ion-180g-black

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 AM   #10753
    ncrstlr1

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I posted this a couple pages back thought it may have been looked over. How do you know how much power your amp puts out? I just wonder if my speakers could be doing more.
    Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #10754
    OldN00b

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncrstlr1 View Post
    I posted this a couple pages back thought it may have been looked over. How do you know how much power your amp puts out? I just wonder if my speakers could be doing more.
    The first place to look is the owner's manual on your amp. If you don't have it, most are online as pdfs (at least the ones I've looked for). But there's no real regulation on how the measurements are taken so, ya know, grain of salt.

A great place to look for hi-fi audio equipment info would be over at the Steve Hoffman forums - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ Poke around, if you can't find what you're looking for, ask away.
    Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #10755
    snake911

My Tour Central Stats

Had a nice buying session at my local store last night, they had refreshed their used bins and I grabbed 8 or 10 things, Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime among them. Also picked new Reissues of Fela Kuti- He Miss Road and Exensive Shit. Ive been hoping to find a good copy of Expensive Shit for a long time (most vinyl version are horrible bootlegs) and the Knitting Factory reissue fits the bill nicely!
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #10756
    krisjay

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncrstlr1 View Post
    Check out hifiengine.com they have specs for tons of audio gear, also check vinylengine.com for turntable specs. Both have a wealth of info.
    Old 01-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #10757
    ncrstlr1

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldN00b View Post
    The first place to look is the owner's manual on your amp. If you don't have it, most are online as pdfs (at least the ones I've looked for). But there's no real regulation on how the measurements are taken so, ya know, grain of salt.

A great place to look for hi-fi audio equipment info would be over at the Steve Hoffman forums - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ Poke around, if you can't find what you're looking for, ask away.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krisjay View Post
    Check out hifiengine.com they have specs for tons of audio gear, also check vinylengine.com for turntable specs. Both have a wealth of info.
    Thanks to the both of you, this is what I found from the owners manual.

Stereo Mode: Continuous Average Power (FTC) 60 watts from 20Hz-20kHz: @<0.09% THD., both channels driven into 8 Ohms.

From the manual (Infinity Reference One) power rating is listed as 10-75 watts per channel, RMS.

So if I am interpreting correctly there are 15 watts that are being missed.
    Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #10758
    rrmies

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I'm new to vinyl. Purchased a U-turn table with Grado blue cart and acrylic platter about a month ago. So far I really like it and it sounds pretty good to me. However, last night I put on Norah Jones Come Away with me. It's the first and only 200 gram record I have. Anyways, on a couple songs there were a few spots where her voice had a little distortion. I played around with the gain on my phono preamp, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

The weakest link in my setup is the phono pre, currently using a ART DJ PRE II. Wondering if upgrading will make a noticeable difference? Rest of my setup is a Rotel processor, Adcom amp, and paradigm floors. Thoughts?

Looking at the Schlit Mani http://schiit.com/products/mani
    rrmies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #10759
    Tak_a_Tak

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to Ants!!

Have you cleaned the record? Could be junk in the grooves of the record causing the issues. I always clean my records before playing, even new ones.
    vinyl collection

Last edited by Tak_a_Tak; 01-25-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #10760
    rrmies

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks, good point, I should try cleaning it first.

I was actually on ants 10 or so years ago, but couldn't remember my login or email associated with it. Just started lurking again recently.
    Old 01-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #10761
    wampa3
    Dancin' w/ Lord Stanley

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Have you aligned the cartridge yourself or did it come set up with your table already? The distortion could be due to mistracking if the needle isn't hitting the grooves properly. There are protractors you can print off online if you need to realign.

It is more common as well get inner groove distortion (IGD) if you are noticing the distortion occur more on tracks closer to the label of the LP. This can only be somewhat alleviated based on the alignment curve used.

There are really any number of things that could be causing that distortion, quite possible it is the record itself and there's nothing to do about it, but I'd start with giving it a good cleaning and move on from there.
    ~Stephen 7.21.02, 9.11.03, 12.12.03, 7.10.04, 10.1.04, 6.25.05, 7.1.06, 7.2.06, 6.10.08, 6.27.08, 6.19.09, 6.26.10, 7.10.10, 6.3.12, 7.6.12, 7.7.12, 7.13.12, 7.14.12, 6.28.13, 6.29.13, 6.27.14, 6.28.14, 6.6.15

wampa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #10762
    rrmies

My Tour Central Stats

It came already aligned. I've played 15 or so records and this is the only one I noticed the distortion and it's not on every track, can't remember if it's only tracks near the label or not. Will have to give it another spin. As far as cleaning, I have a carbon brush on the way, but should I be looking to get a spin clean or something similar as well? Appreciate all the advice, thanks.
    Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #10763
    OldN00b

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrmies View Post
    It came already aligned. I've played 15 or so records and this is the only one I noticed the distortion and it's not on every track, can't remember if it's only tracks near the label or not. Will have to give it another spin. As far as cleaning, I have a carbon brush on the way, but should I be looking to get a spin clean or something similar as well? Appreciate all the advice, thanks.
    My cart came professionally aligned so I'm petty sure that's straight for me, you should check that for sure if you're not.

Personally I find tracking force has the biggest effect on my setup's sound, especially considering how easy it is to adjust. Make sure your tracking force is set as correctly as possible. For me, the change of .05 grams has made the difference between sounding great and sounding like it's underwater by comparison.
    Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #10764
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Do you have any other 200g pressings you can check to see if you get the same issue?
    Is the Norah Jones one of the new QRP pressings or an older Classic Records edition?
    Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #10765
    rrmies

My Tour Central Stats

It's the new QRP and it's the only 200g album I have right now. I have multiple 180g that sound find. Wondered if it was related to that, but the first 2 or 3 tracks were crystal clear. I need to give it another spin, but it was one or two tracks per side where there was some distortion, specifically high notes.

I will say I've been a bit surprised in how much the quality of pressings varies. I'm a pretty big Wilco fan and all of those seem to be done pretty well. However, some of the lesser known bands/albums I've purchased, the center hole was jagged and in a few cases not even fully punched out.
    Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #10766
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Putting the vinyl resurgence in perspective - http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...ampaign=buffer

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #10767
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

My Tour Central Stats

well, yeah,we're not going to see 1970s levels here or anything. but having the highest sales in 25 years is pretty impressive all things considered.

Discogs
    Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #10768
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Putting the vinyl resurgence in perspective - http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...ampaign=buffer

I saw that on Facebook the other day, I don't think that chart is a very fair comparison to compare sales now to sales when the market was in its prime.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #10769
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

My copy of Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is out my place. Only problem is in the parcel locker and the keyhole is stripped and I can't get into it. Really hate to let it sit out over night but I have no way to get into it.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #10770
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

My Tour Central Stats

mondo's guardians of the galaxy vinyl showed up today. looks real nice.

Discogs