Live Trax Vol 34 - 06.24.99 - Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN (+bonus tracks) - Page 16 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #451
monkeyman68

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Vol 34 - 06.24.99 - Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN (+bonus tracks)

Overrated release. Dave sounds like shit
monkeyman68 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #452
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyman68 View Post
    Overrated release. Dave sounds like shit
    Still a great show
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #453
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    Still a great show
    So was MSG N2 in '10…….
    Old 09-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #454
    DDTW4136

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So was MSG N2 in '10…….
    well i think that's the point.

msg n2 was a fucking incredible show, but it wouldnt translate well to a live release
    DDTW4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #455
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DDTW4136 View Post
    well i think that's the point.

msg n2 was a fucking incredible show, but it wouldnt translate well to a live release
    Exactly.

They shouldn't release shows were Dave sounds like shit
    Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #456
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So was MSG N2 in '10…….
    He doesn't sound that bad
    Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #457
    monkeyman68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He doesn't sound that bad
    The difference between LT 34 and LS is night and day.

Release shows where Dave actually sings and not growls his way through the show
    Old 09-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #458
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The difference between LT 34 and LS is night and day.

Release shows where Dave actually sings and not growls his way through the show
    Autotune that shit. But yeah agree with you between 34 and LS. I guess his vocals being off just never bothered me as much.
    Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #459
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

After such high expectations for this, I finally got a long drive to listen to the show in it's entirety, and I have to say it's subpar at best. The overall sound quality and mix are just terrible. Dave's voice is not really that solid. I know it's the end of a three night stand, but then why release it if there's obvious wear and tear on the band that night?

For the mix, there's parts where Boyd and Roi aren't really even mixed in. It's just like a mic picked them up from somewhere on stage without a direct input and that's what the mixed in. Carter's drums sound like a toy kit. Especially the snare. Dave's guitar has good moments, but mostly just sounds flat.

I cannot believe the difference in quality from LS to this. So weird. I think some of these Live Trax are just mixed as a whole show one time with no real effort to listen for mistakes.

The bonus disc is really all they should've released. It's fantastic. But it sounds like they mixed it differently. The bass is loud and up front. There's better depth and overall balance. Maybe I'm crazy.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #460
    jammasterjustin

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I don't like how Butch is missing on this.. makes the sound feel a bit empty in my opinion
    jammasterjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #461
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

This is one just does not sound as good as it looks on paper, unfortunately. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't sing to me. It sounds like a scary mess that I've never heard before.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #462
    Jan-Willem
    1430/3000

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

The start of the show sounds great up until PM en Wynona. Then it starts to sound a bit off...
    Jan-Willem is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #463
    cornnuts

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

ahhhhh man.... what the hell is going on here right now? where am I!? i thought we here at antsmarching loved the 99 tour!? no butch at this show, no ladies, great setlist! no horrible songs! what the fuck is everyone talking about!? super confused right now
    cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #464
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

You're thinking of 97, as its their 2nd best tour only behind 2000. 99 is solidly up there tho but I get the sentiment of your post. Lol never satisfied with gems. Everyone now mentions how LT7 is horribly mixed. still news to me as its always considered a top 3-5 LT and my most listened to DMB album.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #465
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornnuts View Post
    ahhhhh man.... what the hell is going on here right now? where am I!? i thought we here at antsmarching loved the 99 tour!? no butch at this show, no ladies, great setlist! no horrible songs! what the fuck is everyone talking about!? super confused right now
    I agree I think this is overall a great release. Most of the negative comments are really pointed towards the mix and Dave's voice, with just a few complaints about the performances sprinkled in.
    Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #466
    DMB1983

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree I think this is overall a great release. Most of the negative comments are really pointed towards the mix and Dave's voice, with just a few complaints about the performances sprinkled in.
    Yes. Towards the mix, because that is why I buy an officially released album, for quality sound.

If I didn't care how it sounded I would just listen to the tapes. A lot of tapes sound better than this mix.

I think the set is great. I don't think the band is all that on for most of the performances, and yes, Dave's voice is noticeably worn out. These things all attribute me to ranking this subpar.

Again, the bonus disc quality is what I was hoping for overall.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #467
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    Yes. Towards the mix, because that is why I buy an officially released album, for quality sound.

If I didn't care how it sounded I would just listen to the tapes. A lot of tapes sound better than this mix.

I think the set is great. I don't think the band is all that on for most of the performances, and yes, Dave's voice is noticeably worn out. These things all attribute me to ranking this subpar.

Again, the bonus disc quality is what I was hoping for overall.
    I don't blame you. I was just summering the attributes that were getting the most complaints.

Imo this is a good release but definitely not a top tier release. Mainly for the reasons you mentioned. Compare this to a top tier release like LT 20 and LT 3 and the difference is quite vast.
    Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #468
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Can anyone with a hard copy post who did the mix and who did the mastering?
    Old 09-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #469
    Dannyyankou

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Can anyone with a hard copy post who did the mix and who did the mastering?
    Mixed by Rob Evans

Mastered by Scott Hull
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #470
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you!

Rob Evans is the in house mixer who has done the past several LTs now to date, sounds like that gig continues for him. I think those in charge got the message about some of the mixes early in the series like LT2 which is why they wanted to bring the mixing in house to be more consistent, but if it's consistently considered not good, that's not a good thing! I notice some weird placements in the stereo image sometimes with his mixes.

I wish Scott Hull would master the LT digital releases as openly as he did that last WH10, it sounded terrific. He also did the LT vinyl.
    Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #471
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    6.3.99 from Starlake is a winner. The tape is fantastic, the Say Goodbye and Two Step are all-time great. Unfortunately, not a great Boyd night, a few rough spots in The Stone, Pig & Graves, but don't let it get you down, we're all used to them by now.

5.11.99 from Buffalo. Just a great show top to bottom from a different part of the tour. The encore is filthy. Not just great songs, but great versions.

5.26.99 is the classic. If you've heard it a million times, skip it, but if you don't know it, it's the 2.24.95 of the 99 tour and is as good as advertised.

8.1.99 is a Butch show that is like a Central Park (obviously not as amazing), but what looks like a pretty standard setlist played amazingly well.

Then 6.26.99 are 6.28.99 are pretty great as well, just really close to the LT. I would hit 6.3.99 next and crank the Say Goodbye and check the lyrics.

dmbalmanac's soundcloud has that one uploaded if you pick another show, but want to listen to the Say Bye. https://soundcloud.com/dmbalmanac

is 5/26/99 better than the night before?? i prefer 5/25's setlist quite a bit more!
    Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #472
    Alexis17

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    is 5/26/99 better than the night before?? i prefer 5/25's setlist quite a bit more!
    5.26 is a classic, for sure. Before the tour kind of melted away and was forgotten between 1998, 2000 and 2002, it was regularly thrown in with the classics like 2.24.95 and 9.28.94. I'm not saying it's a top 5 show ever, but it hasn't gotten worse since then...
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #473
    Alexis17

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    The bonus disc is really all they should've released. It's fantastic. But it sounds like they mixed it differently. The bass is loud and up front. There's better depth and overall balance. Maybe I'm crazy.
    Worth mentioning that not all tapes are in the exact same shape, with the same sound from show to show, especially in this period. The first two shows' masters won't sound the same as the third and you can hear subtle differences between night 1 and night 2 even on the bonus disc itself. Things get a bit more consistent later on and technology progresses.
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #474
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    5.26 is a classic, for sure. Before the tour kind of melted away and was forgotten between 1998, 2000 and 2002, it was regularly thrown in with the classics like 2.24.95 and 9.28.94. I'm not saying it's a top 5 show ever, but it hasn't gotten worse since then...

what are some of the best lie in our graves from 98, 99, 00? any stand out versions where boyd is legitimately really good?
    Old 10-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #475
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what are some of the best lie in our graves from 98, 99, 00? any stand out versions where boyd is legitimately really good?
    Live Trax 11 is really good!
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #476
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Live Trax 11 is really good!
    oh yeah big time, my favorite released version that wasn't edited!

sorry, i meant to ask what are the best unreleased versions from those 3 years! (98,99, & 00)
    Old 10-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #477
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    oh yeah big time, my favorite released version that wasn't edited!

sorry, i meant to ask what are the best unreleased versions from those 3 years! (98,99, & 00)

8/20/00 Alpine is a good one. It was the only song of the encore N2. Dance Away outro...
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #478
    cornnuts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    8/20/00 Alpine is a good one. It was the only song of the encore N2. Dance Away outro...

awesome! thank you for the suggestion

also, I really like the LIOG's from the away from the world bonus disc and LT28. Are there any 08-15 LIOG's that are on the same level of those two if not even better!?

Thanks!
    Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #479
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

so.... reviving an old thread because LT41 D&T is coming up and since it's a 1999 show, i'm deep-diving into 1999.

i remember my '99 show very fondly (Atlanta, 7.28.99). i personally consider 1998-2000 to be the peak of DMB in a live setting. but i'm not as "well-listened" as a lot of you. so how does this LT34 Deer Creek measure up in the 1999 tour? is it a good representation?

i just got this Live Trax the other day. listening to it now... enjoying it a good deal, and the mix is very good. i can see what some people are saying about Boyd being a little low, but not that big a deal.

viva la 1999!
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #480
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i have another question.

i usually get every ding-dang Live Trax release the moment i get the email. for some reason, i didn't get this LT34 when it was first released. i got it just a few days ago.

it didn't come with the Bonus Disc. i guess that's just available when the LT is new.

is there a way to get the Bonus Disc songs? i want them.

Last edited by coldblueice; 04-19-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote