"When My Story Ends - It's Going To End With Him" - A Big Whiskey Review - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
hbktonyb
6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Re: "When My Story Ends - It's Going To End With Him" - A Big Whiskey Review

Listen to the album in full while reading this review, song by song. Wonderful experience.

GORGE 08

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #32
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Top this great review!
    Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Jantz, great read...
    DMB 2018 - Riverbend (Show #36).

Squishy Break:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ygp...pP0I/giphy.gif
    Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #34
    aoeiifreak

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Excellent.
    Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #35
    nabigeyedfishte

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

im not sure if anyone realizes this but Cavallo is just a producer, he didn't write the songs
    the OP gives him credit for musical aspects, not as in shading...atmospheric things, but like the actual music
    Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #36
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nabigeyedfishte View Post
    im not sure if anyone realizes this but Cavallo is just a producer, he didn't write the songs
    the OP gives him credit for musical aspects, not as in shading...atmospheric things, but like the actual music
    You don't think producers have say in the music? Sadly mistaken.

Take a look at the video where he says, "this intros good, good, this one's terrible, this one's mediocre".

I praise Cavallo for his ability to produce, but appreciate him for his knowledge of music.
    Old 05-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #37
    Flip36
    FIGHT OWEN FIGHT!

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Cavallo is a genius, whatever he touches or is involved with is real, and he really pushes the artist to their top potential.
    Stop comparing albums. Every album is different. Thats the point of making a new album, to create something new and different. To evolve. just sit back relax and go with the flow.
    [{46}] show's since [{'99}]!
    Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #38
    jonniedmb

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I'm all for people liking this album, but is it just me or is this review TOO positive? To say there is nothing wrong with this album is plain ignorant.. It is their best effort in years(as of the april sessions), but to say it's flawless is just ignorant and obscure. To absolutely love every track to death is basically just a signifier that you have too much emotional investment in DMB. I was like that with Stand Up! and even Everyday and had convinced myself they were top notch albums at release. I personally can't stand FTWII and have yet to actually encounter anyone within earshot of the song who even found it remotely interesting or insightful.. That includes people who I know have been fans for years. But again an opinion is an opinion and everyone has their right to that. This is the kind of reaction I would've expected to any of the big 3 but even after just hearing FTWII and a couple of the songs live I wouldn't be able take such a biased opinion seriously at all.
    Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #39
    tabularasa

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

^ you shouldn't be making that judgment without hearing the acutual album via the Pandora stream or when it comes out. This album flows perfectly and IMO lives up to the hype. Is it flawless, no. But through the first listen, to the ears of fans who have been waiting 10 or 11 years for this band to make a great album again, it was flawless.
    Old 05-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #40
    Ampersand
    &

My Tour Central Stats

it's a review from and for an excited fan who loves the album. i prefer those to reviews from some guy at a music mag who has to sound a certain way or doesn't care about dmb that much. that perspective doesn't mean anything to me, because i don't share it. it's like a food critic that loves crab reviewing something for me (who loves crab) vs a critic who doesn't care for seafood
    Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #41
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
    ^ you shouldn't be making that judgment without hearing the acutual album via the Pandora stream or when it comes out. This album flows perfectly and IMO lives up to the hype. Is it flawless, no. But through the first listen, to the ears of fans who have been waiting 10 or 11 years for this band to make a great album again, it was flawless.
    I wouldn't say it's flawless. It has its down moments. Poor song to end the album, and IMO, the flow was awkward at times. Its certainly their best since the 2000 sessions and I love the new sound, but its not jaw dropping amazing. It sure is alot of fun though.

#NATITUDE
    Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #42
    Specialk79

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonniedmb View Post
    I'm all for people liking this album, but is it just me or is this review TOO positive? To say there is nothing wrong with this album is plain ignorant.. It is their best effort in years(as of the april sessions), but to say it's flawless is just ignorant and obscure. To absolutely love every track to death is basically just a signifier that you have too much emotional investment in DMB. I was like that with Stand Up! and even Everyday and had convinced myself they were top notch albums at release. I personally can't stand FTWII and have yet to actually encounter anyone within earshot of the song who even found it remotely interesting or insightful.. That includes people who I know have been fans for years. But again an opinion is an opinion and everyone has their right to that. This is the kind of reaction I would've expected to any of the big 3 but even after just hearing FTWII and a couple of the songs live I wouldn't be able take such a biased opinion seriously at all.
    Umm... I've been a fan since 1993 and I find FTWII both interesting and insightful... Do I think it is the strongest track on the album? Not a chance! Do I believe it should have been the first single? Not really. I think SMLAM would have fit the bill a little better, but am not dissapointed at the choice. Music is subjective man! You may hear something compltely different in one song then someone else and that does not make the track any better or worse. If someone thinks this album is flawless, that is because that persons ears hear it that way. It does not make them wrong because that is how their brain interputs the music! There are no wrong opinions because those are views that come from an individual, biased or not...
    Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #43
    tabularasa

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippinchad View Post
    I wouldn't say it's flawless. It has its down moments. Poor song to end the album, and IMO, the flow was awkward at times. Its certainly their best since the 2000 sessions and I love the new sound, but its not jaw dropping amazing. It sure is alot of fun though.
    Oh no, I'm not saying it is flawless. Just that as a fan the first time I listened to it I kind of felt that way because of the newness and the fact that they made a great album again. My second listen through I saw the flaws in some of the music especially in You & me as a closer.
    Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #44
    Ampersand
    &

My Tour Central Stats

you and me is definitely not my favorite. i kind of wish baby blue was the last track (i guess i could just put you and me with the b-sides and not talk about it), but it's not bad. after some more listens, the original reviewer is dead on. that post should be stickied in the BWGGK forum. if you don't feel that way about the album, no problem, just your opinion, but i think there's a big 4 now. this album is NOT 90s dmb, but it's what they have grown to be. new, fresh, different, but still very much DMB. and strong as hell!

i'm VERY impressed, and i almost stopped being an obsessed fan after the 10 year period of crap. this is what i wanted in 2000 when they said they were working on new stuff.
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #45
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Fantastic review, OP! Here's my initial thoughts..

Second listen now, and its going to take a while to really figure out how I view this album. Really, it takes awhile for me to give an objective look back. Like 6 months to a year to really get how it works objectively. I won't be able to compare it to other DMB albums for awhile yet.. but I can definitely say it beats out ED and SU by miles and miles.

So far, me likey. Conceptually, DMB seems to be as far away from their roots as they've been, but it doesn't feel inappropriately so. This seems like the album they were trying to make with Stand Up. Not sonically, but conceptually. This album was meant to be played loud, as Mark Batson said with the SU album.. much more so than SU is. The lyrics seem largely well done here and I can tell there will be much to discover as I continue to listen. There's a great balance of depth and playfulness here. Tim seems to have been cut loose and amped up in places and I love that. He's felt underused on past studio albums to me, despite how brilliant his work was on those. Here's he's at the forefront much more and I love it. Alligator Pie is a favorite.. Lying in the Hands of God is beautiful. Spaceman is really nice. Seven is so much better than it was live.. There's not a single track that I flat out don't like.

Some things I'm not so sure about. Some of this might seem nitpicky, and it's more of kneejerk reaction at this point. The album teeters very close at times to being overproduced. The reason I say 'teeters' is because in places that approach works, and the 'quieter' songs are really done very well. But that's mostly a feeling at this point.. With SMLAM, it works and I like it a lot. I don't mind that rich production work, so long as it feels appropriate and it does there. Lillywhite was about the subtlty in his production, and I like that Cavallo has brought the balls from the live performance in some of these songs and that's exciting. I was a little dissaponted in Why I Am, and that's probably because after hearing SMLAM, I really thought that song would be more like the Live version, but it sounds as if Dave is restrained. I probably wouldn't really think that if I hadn't seen that song live first.. but I really prefer the live version there. One last thing is I really hope I continue to discover more of Roi's influence on this record as it progresses. Outside of the obvious (Grux, the album outro, and the lyrics to Why I Am) I just don't feel like I sense it, but I get the feeling I will as I listen more.
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #46
    Pig17

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I actually find it to be one of my favorite on the album, strictly due to the way the song is built. It keeps me interested upon the entire listen.

http://www.last.fm/user/Pig17
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #47
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pig17 View Post
    I actually find it to be one of my favorite on the album, strictly due to the way the song is built. It keeps me interested upon the entire listen.
    Best single since DDTW, for sure.. I like it a lot.
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #48
    Jworley98

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I know the live version is better but I love Why I am on this album
    Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #49
    Quendi

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobbtheRevelatr View Post
    One last thing is I really hope I continue to discover more of Roi's influence on this record as it progresses. Outside of the obvious (Grux, the album outro, and the lyrics to Why I Am) I just don't feel like I sense it, but I get the feeling I will as I listen more.
    Don't get that feeling on LITHOG? Seems to me like they arranged that song around the clips of his playing they had.
    Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #50
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quendi View Post
    Don't get that feeling on LITHOG? Seems to me like they arranged that song around the clips of his playing they had.
    Not yet.... and I heard Dave talk about it.. but it's going to take several listens, I'm sure.
    Old 05-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #51
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm just trying to find in my review where I said this album was, "flawless"

Old 05-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #52
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

This may sound silly, but if there is one Roi part I wish they had managed to include, it was that sax part in the video from March / April of 08.. a bit of a furious flurry on his part.. it was so intriguing and I had hoped to see what song that was in. That's not a complaint.. its just that sounded so beautiful.. I know its one little part but it sounded part of a furious jam and it may not have made it past that stage... or maybe its there just toned down I haven't heard it yet. Hell.. it may be on one of the B sides..
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #53
    Pantala

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nabigeyedfishte View Post
    No?

Then explain to me how the distinct musical differences occured between BTCS, Everyday, Stand Up, and Whiskey?

I only see one variable, maybe you live in a different universe than I do...
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #54
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

I keep thinking.. 'how the hell are they going to play some of this stuff live?!'.. lol.

Last edited by Heyberto; 05-23-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #55
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pantala View Post
    No?

Then explain to me how the distinct musical differences occured between BTCS, Everyday, Stand Up, and Whiskey?

I only see one variable, maybe you live in a different universe than I do...
    BTCS - Written by the band, Lillywhite produced
    ED - Written by Dave and Glen Ballard, Ballard produced
    SU - Written by DMB and Mark Batson, Batson produced
    BWGK - Written by DMB, Cavallo produced

hmmm.. looks like when DMB didn't use cowriters/producers they did much better. Lillywhite and Cavallo focused on producing and DMB stuck to focusing on writing.. which is the key.

Last edited by Heyberto; 05-23-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #56
    Sweet Chicken
    deftones>>>>>>Radiohead

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I keep thinking.. 'how the hell are they going to play soem of this stuff live?!'.. lol.

AS much as I want to watch them try, I don't think there is any way they can match what they did with Squirm live.
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #57
    Pantala

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    BTCS - Written by the band, Lillywhite produced
    ED - Written by Dave and Glen Ballard, Ballard produced
    SU - Written by DMB and Mark Batson, Batson produced
    BWGK - Written by DMB, Cavallo produced

hmmm.. looks like when DMB didn't use cowriters/producers they did much better. Lillywhite and Cavallo focused on producing and DMB stuck to focusing on writing.. which is the key.
    Hmmm....ok, thanks for that illustration.

Made it much clearer to me.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #58
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pantala View Post
    Hmmm....ok, thanks for that illustration.

Made it much clearer to me.

I guess I don't see what you're getting at if it isn't the song cowriting by the producers.
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #59
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watchunoboutdat View Post
    Brady Quinn???? seriously?? the browns aren't even a team, they're just a color
    i'd rather be just a color, than a team famous for losing 4 straight super bowls, and now has resotred to signing TO..shouldn't throw stones
    Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #60
    dmband425
    GENO!!!

Shows Seen: 65

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    way to shoot the guy down after not hearing anything other than live cuts, and FTWII. it's like looking at a guy working on a car, not knowing shit about what's wrong with it and saying hey man, i think it's the alternator...no dip shit, i'm changing the oild. the cars fine. do yourself a favor, listen to the album(finished product) before you go slappin down someone who has heard it