** College Football Season ** - Page 1893 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #56761
dre2142
Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: College Football Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
You serious? You're not serious.
Quote:
Assuming there is an NFL season agreed upon soon he can get taken in a supplemental draft.
Im serious.......there was speculation and rumors that he was going to get into the supplemental draft....you claimed they were innacurate and wouldnt happen.

Well, thats whats happening.

And I stand by the fact that I always had a feeling he would bail on his team.
dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #56762
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Pryor missed the NFL Draft - if his plan all along was to leave, he would of made sure he was in it
    No kidding. TP is an idiot but if his plan all along was to leave Ohio State he'd have to be mentally handicapped if he thought missing the draft was in the best interest of his future. Obviously, everything that has come out recently made it abundantly obvious that his ineligibility was going to run out and now he's making the best decision for his future. It has nothing to do with lack of character or whatever. It's about playing football.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #56763
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    Im serious.......there was speculation and rumors that he was going to get into the supplemental draft....you claimed they were innacurate and wouldnt happen.

Well, thats whats happening.

And I stand by the fact that I always had a feeling he would bail on his team.
    Ah I didn't click those to see when I posted that. I figured it was from January. Anyway, I think his decision to leave OSU is entirely upon these new issues that have come up and he knew will come up. He wasn't going to play another down in CFB and he knew it. He's just trying to salvage something.

Re: That Staples article... I don't think TP left because he consciously knows it's the best thing for OSU. I didn't interpret that's what Staples was saying. I interpreted it as OSU being cleared of TP's issues could very well be a byproduct of TP, nothing more.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #56764
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Fair enough, good points.
    Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #56765
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

There's a really good interview between Dan Patrick and Maurice Clarett that I'll post the transcript to. Maurice has grown up a lot and actually provides decent insight.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #56766
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

He said he had no initial reaction to Tressel’s resignation.
    Asked about what has gone on at OSU with all the problems, he said:

“I definitely believe it’s more of a cultural problem. Young guys, myself being one of them, who come from inner cities are basically in poverty situations, places where we glorify ignorance and nonsense and just not being responsible. When we go inside universities, be it Ohio State, Penn State, Miami, USC, anywhere, I just don’t think the way guys are raised, the way we’re brought up, the things we glorify, the things we prioritize are not conducive to what goes on at the university.

"Then when you begin to bring the dynamics of what the NCAA expects of you, what the university expects of you it just kinda doesn’t correlate. I think there has to be a more responsible system put in place to help guys succeed.”

“A lot of guys come from nothing. When Coach Tressel goes out to recruit these guys from inner cities, people don’t realize their family is depending on you and your athletic ability. That’s the only way you can make it out because when they wake up every day, every day in their lives they don’t see anybody who’s going to college or graduating and had success on a scholastic level, so they don’t believe in it. People only believe in what they see, so when they come to college and they’re used to having nothing then trying to live on $1,100 in Columbus, Ohio, if you want to stay in a reputable place you’re going to pay $750 for rent, then you’re going to pay $4 gallon for gas, that’s another $100-150 per month. If you have a girlfriend and want to live a normal life, $1,100 is not enough, but in Columbus, Ohio, you’re treated like a celebrity, so it’s not a Terrelle Pryor problem. It’s not a Jim Tressel problem. It’s just a culture not of inner city youth but a culture of the whole system.”

problem with guys trading stuff?

“The problem is why don’t they keep it? Who wouldn’t want to keep that stuff they earned? Why are they even in that position? The university can profit $25, 30, 40 million and put them in a position that they have to sell their memorabilia, the only thing they have of value at that point, that’s the argument to me. Why are they even in that position to do that when there’s enough money to go around?”

He didn’t sell his stuff

“There was no need to. I was on a different level just from playing. Everything I needed I could just go out and get through conversations and relationships I had.”

different level? what's that mean?

“There’s no secret regime, no secret congregation of people who sit around at Ohio State and give young guys money, who say, ‘Let me give you X amount of dollars or thousands of dollars,’ nothing like that. Anything that any players goes and gets is all based on him and who he meets in the community. When he goes out and meets a fan or he meets somebody, he’s going to meet that person himself and create a relationship himself and do what he does. A coach has no control over what the young guys are doing, know what I’m saying?”

people are helping you because you’re a star for a championship team?

“No, no, no. Absolutely not. I’m saying there is nobody there. There’s nobody there at the university saying…"

What about boosters?

“No, there’s no boosters. It’s the community. If you come to Columbus, Ohio, the whole community, the whole city, loves Ohio State football. I’m not sure if anybody can name a booster of Ohio State. I don’t know these guys. Nobody knows these guys.”

He's not sure who boosters deal with. He's never seen one.

You’re taken care of, you’re on a different level?

“Different guys have different notoriety on the team so I can go in the community and meet somebody and they know who I am because they watch the games, so the same recognition I may have another may not have, so I'm going to be on a totally different level so I don’t have to sell any memorabilia to try to get somebody to help me out to try to facilitate some need that I feel I may have. It doesn’t happen.”

but people did reach out to help you?

“No, I reached out to people. People didn’t reach out to me. Just traveling around in the community, I say, ‘Hey, I’m struggling with this. Hey I need help with this.’ I do those things.

"I don’t know how it goes on anywhere else, but at Ohio State there was nobody who said, ‘Hey, go talk to A, B or C and they’ll help you out.’ That’s not true. If you put those guys through a polygraph test they would tell you the same thing. There wasn’t any coach or booster or any member in the realm of Ohio State who helps you get a car or things like that. That doesn’t go on. It’s just guys doing what they want to. People will do what they want to. It’s nothing more than just young guys making mistakes.

"The things I did to take me to prison were crimes and things that people need to be taken off the street for and get help and rehabilitate and get a whole new perspective on life and everything like that, but these young guys are just making mistakes. We’re talking about tattoos and just minor things, they are not that serious to get people to put all this energy into hoping something negative comes out of this whole situation.

"People respect Jim Tressel because he’s a man. He’s a man’s man, you know what I mean? The guy has integrity. He has class. I look at Jim Tressel every day and just Google his name and see articles come up with reputable people sticking their necks out for him. He’s a good man who got caught up in a bad situation. You can’t be a fraud for 30 years. It’s impossible, you know what I’m saying? People could smell a fraud within the first few months. You’re going to be exposed. But for 30 years that man has been respected by the people who are very respectable throughout the country. It’s not right for that man to get done like that.”

what about NYT story in 2003?

“That was something I did. That was me lying and manipulating a professor in order to get them to help me. It wasn’t anything that anybody did for me. It was me being young and ignorant. I can admit it now because I’m a little more experienced with life. I have a family, I am responsible. I see life in a different life. It was me lying to a professor to try to get preferential treatment, trying to play the system against itself.”

DP: if you wanted a car could you get one as a freshman?

“If I went out and did it myself. If I went out and went to a car lot and created my own relationships. This is nothing the institution has done. I said things in the past that weren’t true because I was trying to cause trouble. If I was in this situation with Jim Tressel five years ago, I would have been jumping up and down. I’d have been so elated this happened to him, but being more responsible, going to prison, being in that whole environment. Go talk to Plaxico Burress. He’ll tell you his perspective on life has changed because once you’re down to a core of a man with nothing but your thoughts and the love that you get from your family, your whole perspective changes. I don’t feel the same way.”

DP: Part of problem is people of Cbus love the team too much and don’t care about the rules? They want to get close, tehy want to be your friend, but they’re also hurting the program in the mean time.

“We could sit here and do tit for tat and break this down to a trivial thing that the people of Columbus are doing wrong, but you can’t stop them…

I was at Outback Steakhouse the other day and there was a lady who came out with the most normal look on her face and she asked, ‘Are you Maurice Clarett?’ and I said, ‘Yeah,’ and this lady got so happy. How can you steal her joy? She doesn’t understand the rules. The NCAA rules are not popping up in her head.”

DP: But if she buys you a meal when you’re a freshman or if somebody loves you and says, ‘Here’s a car for you to drive,’ they love you, but you could get in trouble. You could pay the price. That happens.

“People don’t just offer up cars. People ask for cars and then they see what they can work out. If you love a woman, you give them gifts, you give them things to stay around you. This is not athletics problems. This is human nature. You give people things to keep them around you, to make them happy, to facilitate their emotional needs and stuff like that. That is what fans do. Fans want to keep you around. They’ve been watching the team since they were kids. Their uncles took them to games. Their fathers took them to games. This is just the community. There are Buckeye coffee shops, Buckeye stores, Buckeye memorabilia. That is Columbus, Ohio, you know what I’m saying? It’s not just some guy saying, ‘We’re going to give this guy a car.’ Nobody says that. Thse guys say, ‘I don’t have a ride.’ So then someone says, ‘Well for me to facilitate this guy getting a car is nothing.’ That’s how things take place. It’s not that somebody hooks you up and says, ‘Hey, can you facilitate this need?’ or, ‘I see you have a need, I’m about to give you somebody to put that in place.’ That doesn’t happen.”

DP: But you can ask for it and get it and that’s against NCAA regulations

“Let me ask you this: Is it that wrong for a guy to get transportation from A to B? Is he pulling guns on people? Is he riding around with guns in his car? Is he molesting kids? Is he raping people? No.”

DP: Morally it’s not wrong, but I don’t make the rules of college sports. The NCAA views this as wrong

“Absolutely, but I ask you, can we sit down and can we talk to the NCAA with people who have been effected both positively and negatively, can we sit down and assess what’s going on?”

DP: Where is your national championship ring?
    “It’s at my mother’s house. There is not one piece of memorabilia that I don’t have. Just to set the record straight with that Sports Illustrated article, I have no idea where that Dudley’s place is at. They said I went down tehre to get a tattoo but I have no idea where Dudley’s place is at.”

DP: Do you consider Coach Tressel a cheater?

“No, absolutely not. He cares about people. Does he get caught up in the political realm of things? Absolutely. But while I have this time and he is off I want to spend as much time around him to gain a better understanding on how he came to be where he is and how he helped people and be an extension of that. Coach Tressel is not a cheater at all.”
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #56767
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Although, I don't think Mo exactly understands what a booster is. Interesting comments though.
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #56768
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

MC's story is going to make a great movie one day
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #56769
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting stuff. Obviously, Columbus and Ohio are to blame, because we all know the rules, but that doesn't mean as a player you should take the Blooming Onion just to keep the person you are interacting with happy.

There are so many people and institutions at fault here, and in some ways they are all right and wrong. If I wasn't an Ohio State fan, and my friends and family haven't been directly effected by Tressel, I'd probably feel different than I do. The only thing I know for certain is that the NCAA needs to be destroyed or at least rebuilt into something that truly looks after the interests of student athletes. Punishing people on campus at USC and OSU now for the sins of the people no longer in the program is asinine. They also need to find a way to compensate athletes according to what they're worth, and spare me the nonsense about how you get 64k worth of education per year.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #56770
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

LSUfreek on TP: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78..._Knowledge.gif
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #56771
    AbeFroman
    Sleepybear time!!

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board...w-up-2594876/1

Interesting is any of it is true.
    Quote:
    Abe has ruined this thread.
    AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #56772
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pryor missed the NFL Draft - if his plan all along was to leave, he would of made sure he was in it
    idk... probably just another example of his outstanding mental thought processes.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #56773
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
    "Friends of mine in the journalism school at OSU are telling me they are hearing rumors about an SI follow-up discussing rampant drug abuse by players and a systemic lack of institutional control at OSU. Interestingly, a colleague at Illinois tells me a similar story. Her words: "There was a drug-dealing ring on campus involving several players, and Tressel knew about it." I'll post more details if anything comes my way."

"I also hear that several current and former Buckeyes are linked to a cartel in Mexico and Tress knew about it!

Let's just keep digging and we just might start finding some bodies! "

lol
    Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #56774
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

Breaking: Tressel sent cock shots to various woman on twitter.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #56775
    OneSwtWld34
    I'm Your Huckleberry

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think that Pryor didn't go into the NFL Draft due to the foot surgery he had in January. If the surgery was going to prevent him from participating in the NFL Combine and OSU's Pro Day, his draft stock would've been really low! He had to stick around for another year to improve his draft stock...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41
    6'7" guys are HOT. I'd have no problem taking a guy that tall's pants off with my teeth.
    OneSwtWld34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #56776
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Just found out my aunt went to high school (and was friends with) with Terelle Pryor's attorney (hes from my hometown).
    Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #56777
    AbeFroman
    Sleepybear time!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    Just found out my aunt went to high school (and was friends with) with Terelle Pryor's attorney (hes from my hometown).
    So I could say that I know a guy whos aunt knows TP. Shit, did not want to be that close to that guy.
    Quote:
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #56778
    vaxarado

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
    So I could say that I know a guy whos aunt knows TP. Shit, did not want to be that close to that guy.

It just made me chuckle. Didn't put two and two together. Last fall, my aunt had a class reunion and had been chatting quite a bit with Larry James. She specifically told me because as I was job searching and looking for a position in a law firm, it could have opened a door for me. So today I was talking to my mom and she had made mention of who his attorney was. I read the article and previously never put it together.
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #56779
    AbeFroman
    Sleepybear time!!

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks to these Ohio State internal audit documents, it has now been confirmed that OSU President Gee and Athletic Director Smith already knew of the failure by Ohio State compliance to inventory and track the aforementioned “participation awards” and “equipment and apparel” which likely contributed to Buckeye football players selling and trading those same items - along with football tickets - for cash, tattoos, cars and other extra benefits. (As documented in the DOJ letter to the school on December 7, 2010.) (Or as the NCAA likes to put it in its infraction reports to schools, “should have known.”)

One month before a United States Department of Justice letter to Ohio State uncovered a massive pattern of NCAA rule violations within the school’s football program, official Ohio State internal audit documents show Ohio State President Gordon Gee and OSU Athletic Director Gene Smith knew that the Ohio State compliance department - led by former NCAA enforcement official Doug Archie - had failed to properly monitor dozens of OSU student-athletes for potential violations of NCAA rules.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/docs-o...mpliance-29737

Wow, it just keeps getting worse. A very interesting read!
    Quote:
    Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #56780
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Russell Wilson to Wisconsin. That's a huge pickup for them. Wilson is a baller.

I am shocked though that Auburn wasn't the high bidder.
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #56781
    AbeFroman
    Sleepybear time!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hes gonna be a grad student, so he does not have to sit out at all. If we see him at all it will be in the B10 champ game.
    Quote:
    Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #56782
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

OSU gets Wisconsin at home at night. That should be a great, great game. I can't imagine he's played in that atmosphere before. Wisconsin lost a lot but I really like Wilson. Very similar skill set to Troy Smith. He was electric a lot of times last year.

BTW, Auburn should be making the news very soon again. Unrelated to Cam but in the same vein.
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #56783
    Doofie27
    Is a filthy Poser

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    damnit! beat me to it. hilarious gif
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #56784
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

LSUfreek on Colt's wife being a bad wife (the other dude is Shipley): http://www.anothercubsblog.org/images/coltfather.gif
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #56785
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The SEC abolished allowing grad students to come in and play without sitting. I think it took effect immediately, which would explain no Auburn for Wilson.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #56786
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    The SEC abolished allowing grad students to come in and play without sitting. I think it took effect immediately, which would explain no Auburn for Wilson.
    It goes into effect next season. But it looks like Wilson to Wisconsin reports were a bit premature. He hasn't decided yet but it looks like it will be Wisconsin in the end.

In a related note, the 25 schollies per recruiting year that the SEC presidents mandated is a good step towards stopping oversigning. Oversigning is such a ridiculous advantage.
    Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #56787
    AbeFroman
    Sleepybear time!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It goes into effect next season. But it looks like Wilson to Wisconsin reports were a bit premature. He hasn't decided yet but it looks like it will be Wisconsin in the end.

In a related note, the 25 schollies per recruiting year that the SEC presidents mandated is a good step towards stopping oversigning. Oversigning is such a ridiculous advantage.
    This does not address gray-shirting though.
    Quote:
    Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #56788
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

I think greyshirting is fine in theory. If a kid is willing to wait a year before being on scholarship I don't think there's any reason he shouldn't have that opportunity. As long as he knows from the beginning of his recruitment that greyshirting is a possibility I'm OK. Some coaches obviously abuse that though. The SEC did decide that coaches can no longer greyshirt kids once they get on campus though. I can't believe that coaches would even consider actions like that in the first place but its been done. That's beyond unethical.
    Old 06-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #56789
    UNLTrpt
    Go B1G Red!

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't know if its so much the advantage they're worrying about. Its the kids who sign, think they're going to get a scholarship, and then are bumped at the last minute and are left out to dry by schools.

I don't care how many 5 star players you sign, they still have to be coached.
    UNLTrpt is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #56790
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Yea. The SEC presidents wanted the cap on scholarships because they know their coaches have really fucked over some kids. The coaches didn't want it because of the advantage oversigning gives them. For some, it's one entire extra recruiting class over a four or five year period. That's ridiculous.

Tags
    football , ncaa