Originally Posted by CUTiger41
So is there a subject for the February photo contest? I'm assuming that'd be a good start for us. It'd give us 2 weeks to get everyone on board and then announce the subject on February 1.
Would we have the contest run the full month then when the March contest is announced we'd have voting? Or run 3 weeks then vote the final week with the winner selecting the subject for the next month?
Well, this was my original post about the photo comp:
Okay...I'm going to act on the photo comp idea.
What I have in mind is on the first Sunday of each month, I create a thread called "antsmarching.org Photography Contest (insert month here) 2009". In this thread (ie. the one that this post is in), suggestions of types of photography, ideas/themes/words, etc, can be made, which we can choose from and make the focus point of the photo comp for that month. For example, January's could be for cityscapes, and February's could revolve around the word "love". The simple idea would be to take the main focus and present a photo that complements that focus. After 2 weeks of entries, we spend the next week voting, and the winner is announced at the end of the voting period. No prizes...just the sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing that people don't think your photography's crap.
Thoughts? Ideas on rules (for example, unless the main focus involved photo manipulation, entries are not to be Photoshopped or edited)?
Based on feedback and additional ideas, this is what I would propose:
- Each month's comp starts on the first day of the month. (and the people said "Duh!")
- First theme/idea can be agreed on by the membership up until 1 Feb, then I'll start a new thread on 1 Feb outlining the theme and rules.
- Basic editing allowed to tweak exposure, levels, etc. Those who edit must post links to both their original photo and the edited version for comparison. All entries should be uploaded to an image hosting site of choice and linked to in the post.
- Shooting data is optional, but could be handy eg. aperture, f/stop, ISO, film, camera model, lens, filters, etc.
- Entries close on 24th of each month at 11:59pm US Pacific time (whatever the technical name of it is - it'll be the middle of the afternoon here in Sydney). As soon as possible after that time I will edit the opening post to list usernames with embedded links to the posts that contain their photos, with a number corresponding with the order of their posting. If there are 10 or fewer entries, then I can add a poll, but if there are more than 10, I will ask you to simply post the letter/number corresponding to the member whose image you feel is the best.
- Voting will close at 11:59pm on 27th of each month, when I will close the thread, tally up votes and announce the winner. The winner will then have the privilege of selecting the next theme/idea and posting a new thread on the 1st day of the following month. I will copy and paste the rules into that post and sticky it. In the event of a tie, those who are tied with the highest nuber of votes can agree on a theme together.
Let me know if this seems fine. As indicated in the proposal, I'm happy to act as the comp administrator and use my moderator tools to facilitate stickying threads, create polls, etc...shouldn't get in the way of me posting an entry, I'd hope.