Internet Take Away From DMB A Bit? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Internet Take Away From DMB A Bit?

Wasn't sure how to phrase that...basically I'm curious if the immensce advancements in the internet in the past 10 years or so has taken away some of the excitement for you. I'm not saying that I'm pissed or mad that I can get my hands on almost any show at almost anytime I want, but it HAS spoiled me a bit.

I just think back to when you couldn't get things so easily, and to have a show was like a GEM! The first CD of live DMB I ever had was a collection of the Lillywhite Session songs from the first few nights of the 2000 Summer Tour. I used to have Woodstock 99 on VHS from a friend of my brother's who ordered all of Woodstock on PPV. I think I also had a cassette tape of a live Dave radio appearance featuring Best of What's Around, Bartender/Don't Drink the Water and The Stone. So aside from those, Red Rocks, Dave + Tim and Listeners Supported I didn't have much.

I just remember when I couldn't stand the excitement of seeing Storytellers, Woodstock or the first time I watched Listeners Supported. NOW when a DVD comes out I don't rush out to buy it. In the past 8 or 9 years I can't begin to tell you how many shows I have acquired. Now with Youtube you can find so many high quality videos anytime you want...not to mention all the bittorrent sites where you can find high quality audio...

I don't know...I still LOVE getting shows, but I don't listen with the same enthusiasm I guess I did in the old days...maybe I'm too over exposed to DMB. Now when I download a show I am very picky..."eh...the quality could be a little better...not too sure I dig that version of Crush...etc." I download so many shows only to skim through and wind up throwing it out. Maybe I'm just gettin' old...

Anyone else that's been around a while feel like this??? Or am I kind of nuts??? Sorry for the novel...
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
    WaltzingBack

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Internet Take Away From DMB A Bit?

i haven't been around for very long but the early '90s definitely seemed like a much simpler time for a DMB fan. i wish i would've gotten to experience that.
    WaltzingBack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
    moccasin
    We'll Lock You Away

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I remember as a kid holding a microphone up to my transistor radio to record songs to my reel to reel. (you youngins might have to google
    some of these terms). The internet has been the greatest thing when it comes to obtaining and sharing music. Be very glad we all it.
    Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
    JLEWIS2

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

absolutely, the 90s were less kids with keyboards and incomplete thoughts.

now we have to sit though which venue is better, which encore is worse, where's "too much", etc.
    Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

yes.
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
    kjairey

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I just got into the live show downloading realm. It is one awesome way to get some great DMB shows. I have acquired more awesome music in the past week then I have in quite a while. I don't know the feeling of waiting to watch an episode of storytellers, but I'm sure it would have made that show 10x better than getting it in 5 min, like I did when I wanted to watch it. I understand what you are saying, but technology keeps making things faster and more efficient and I say, " Keep it coming." I like getting my stuff when I want it.
    Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
    JLEWIS2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moccasin View Post
    I remember as a kid holding a microphone up to my transistor radio to record songs to my reel to reel. (you youngins might have to google
    some of these terms). The internet has been the greatest thing when it comes to obtaining and sharing music. Be very glad we all it.

yeah, no shit now people wonder where the upload is before the band is off the stage

oh well
    Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLEWIS2 View Post

now we have to
    sit though which venue is better, which encore is worse, where's "too much", etc.
    You have to?
    MistreatedLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
    JLEWIS2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    You have to?
    and high post counts that like to split hairs. Maybe "have to" wasn't as literal as it was taken. But, you can't overlook the pettiness around here.
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
    Bostonsux013
    VICTORY!

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlewis2 View Post
    and high post counts that like to split hairs. Maybe "have to" wasn't as literal as it was taken. But, you can't overlook the pettiness around here.
    burn!
    Bostonsux013 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
    eeixen

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

I think the Internet has done nothing but build DMB into the monster it is today. Without the tubes we might not have ever gotten Lillywhite Sessions.
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
    JLEWIS2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eeixen View Post
    I think the Internet has done nothing but build DMB into the monster it is today. Without the tubes we might not have ever gotten Lillywhite Sessions.

you're right, don't get me wrong. There have been a ton of things fans have access to because of the internet. It's the taking for granted that gets old.
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
    eeixen

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you're right, don't get me wrong. There have been a ton of things fans have access to because of the internet. It's the taking for granted that gets old.

Very True. I haven’t been around since the beginning but I remember the B&P days.
    Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

it probably takes away from the live show experience a little, especially if you have listened to songs on tapes 10-15 times before they are played live at your show. It takes away a lot of the element of surprise, both at the songs played and new parts in those songs.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
    jadedcynic

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I see what you're saying. But I think we're just spoiled and should take a moment to realize how lucky we are. If we were living in that time, and someone described what it would be like now, wouldn't we be thrilled?
    jadedcynic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
    bartender2000

Shows Seen: 104

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    Wasn't sure how to phrase that...basically I'm curious if the immensce advancements in the internet in the past 10 years or so has taken away some of the excitement for you. I'm not saying that I'm pissed or mad that I can get my hands on almost any show at almost anytime I want, but it HAS spoiled me a bit.

I just think back to when you couldn't get things so easily, and to have a show was like a GEM! The first CD of live DMB I ever had was a collection of the Lillywhite Session songs from the first few nights of the 2000 Summer Tour. I used to have Woodstock 99 on VHS from a friend of my brother's who ordered all of Woodstock on PPV. I think I also had a cassette tape of a live Dave radio appearance featuring Best of What's Around, Bartender/Don't Drink the Water and The Stone. So aside from those, Red Rocks, Dave + Tim and Listeners Supported I didn't have much.

I just remember when I couldn't stand the excitement of seeing Storytellers, Woodstock or the first time I watched Listeners Supported. NOW when a DVD comes out I don't rush out to buy it. In the past 8 or 9 years I can't begin to tell you how many shows I have acquired. Now with Youtube you can find so many high quality videos anytime you want...not to mention all the bittorrent sites where you can find high quality audio...

I don't know...I still LOVE getting shows, but I don't listen with the same enthusiasm I guess I did in the old days...maybe I'm too over exposed to DMB. Now when I download a show I am very picky..."eh...the quality could be a little better...not too sure I dig that version of Crush...etc." I download so many shows only to skim through and wind up throwing it out. Maybe I'm just gettin' old...

Anyone else that's been around a while feel like this??? Or am I kind of nuts??? Sorry for the novel...
    WOW! Great thought! I agree with you 100%. I have seen 74 shows and with out elaborating, feel the exact same way. I would b+p shows with serious tapers and downloaders in the late 90's and it was so exciting! Having a show that wasnt so easy to get or able to download was great in my eyes. Somthin to wait and look forward to. Now its everywhere (which is still fantastic) but the excitement has left a lil bit. Whatever i wanna see or hear i can via the internet and technology. Im not gonna go any further but great topic! Great point!
    bartender2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
    SmoothRider[PL]
    MM#14 A tortured soul

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I remember the time, when all I knew was Crash, UTTAD and BTCS. And then I discovered the Internet (or, the Internet became available here) and it was like - woooooooooooooow!!! they have more albums!!!!! OMG!!!

And now, dt.org, breakfast, shower, going back - you have the show played less than 24h ago...
    Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I do sort of agree with the OP, here. Having such easy access to the new shows takes some of the fun out of experiencing a show firsthand. I probably wouldn't be making complaints about the fact that they keep repeating the same "big hits" every other night, rather than doing lots of tour debuts if I hadn't, you know, heard all of those "big hits" over and over as I download and listen to every show that a tape has been done for this summer. On the other hand, I love having such easy access to all of the old stuff that I wasn't lucky enough to see the first time around, as well as having tapes of every show I've seen.
    Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
    proppenator

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

now we have to sit though which venue is better, which encore is worse, where's "too much", etc.
    Quote:
    You have to?
    Quote:

Burned
    proppenator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #20
    Pele0069!!!!!

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i would say there was more respect on the boards due to not wanting to be put on the bad trader list...
    and trading rather than downloading kept the community tighter than it is now.. I remember when the whole Jake vs Pete split with dmbml and a group of the people startered there own message board .... thats kinda when i think it started to go down hill
    Pele0069!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
    breckbrew
    Not a wook

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

As far as obtaining shows, I like the B&P days better. Then, you actually came on to the site and made good connections with people - there was a certain level of trust and appreciation. Not so much now.
    breckbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I was extremely excited to watch the concert on Fuse. But, there have been a bunch of webcasts in the past year or so and I feel that back in the day I would have given up my whole day to catch it...I love the Rothbury Webcast (have it on DVD) but I didn't even watch it all the way through until maybe a couple months later...the same has been true with most the other webcasts. I even have the newer webcasts from Lucco and haven't sat and watched them yet...I feel I've watched so many videos over the past however many years and now these webcasts and live releases have lost their excitement...

again, maybe I've just consumed too much DMB in the past 10 years.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

My Tour Central Stats

I see it this way. I sit at home while the band plays hundreds of miles away. The next day I get a taper pull (usually of incredible quality) that I can enjoy for years. How can the facilitating factor in the process (the internet) take away from that?
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldonlevene View Post
    I see it this way. I sit at home while the band plays hundreds of miles away. The next day I get a taper pull (usually of incredible quality) that I can enjoy for years. How can the facilitating factor in the process (the internet) take away from that?
    A lot of people would argue that it ruins the freshness of the shows you do go to, or that hearing tapes of every single show makes it more likely that you'll get sick of what are some admittedly awesome performances because you've heard them so many times. I'll admit that this has happened to me. I spent last weekend out of town and wasn't in front of a computer for 3 days, and I enjoyed not getting irritated by hearing yet another 20-minute version of #41
    Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    A lot of people would argue that it ruins the freshness of the shows you do go to, or that hearing tapes of every single show makes it more likely that you'll get sick of what are some admittedly awesome performances because you've heard them so many times. I'll admit that this has happened to me. I spent last weekend out of town and wasn't in front of a computer for 3 days, and I enjoyed not getting irritated by hearing yet another 20-minute version of #41
    Perhaps, but I don't download every show. Just the ones I particularly like, or hear are really great quality wise.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

things would definitely be a little more surprising at a show. Following all the shit on the boards and listening to tapes frequently definitely takes some of the element of surprise away. But there are so many positive things about the internet in terms of DMB as well.
    Say a prayer for my soul seņorita
    mja271 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #27
    juveboy

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You have to?
    Fair question.

Times may have changed, and more material is there for us. BUT, your personal experience of the band is your own. You always have a choice. Moderate, so it DOES NOT become spoiled.
    juveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
    pantalanagatuba

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

i agree. i do think internet has changed a lot of things...some for the better, some for the worse. i remember the excitement of the pbs special, or getting my hands on a cassette tape in the 90's, or not knowing every setlist. don't get me wrong, i love being able to get shows or see videos, etc. but it is definitely very different. that's part of the reason i avoided the studio recordings of Big Whiskey until i opened up the package this year. the one thing i hate about internet and boards is how it can often shape people's opinions without them first forming their own. i am glad "the big 3" came out before all of that...
    pantalanagatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
    dvalukis
    Em7Sus4

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Has taketh and giveth at the same time. Sometimes we get shows 3 hours after the last song is played. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. But so was waiting for a B&P.

dvalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
    juveboy

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pantalanagatuba View Post
    the one thing i hate about internet and boards is how it can often shape people's opinions without them first forming their own.
    I HOPE a person would eventually grow out of this. I mean, this is a discussion board. Opinions are as natural here as water in the ocean.
    juveboy is offline   Reply With Quote