Does sherbert have any dairy in it? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-29-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
Blaha 41
sometimes

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Does sherbert have any dairy in it?

i have a half gallon tub in my freezer, but i'm lactose intolerant and i'm not sure if the "milk" in it is just a few tablespoons or if it's a lot. does anyone know?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
    cyberhound
    Got rights?

My Tour Central Stats

Sherbet: (Its "SHUR-bet" never pronounced "sherBERT") are ices based on sweetened fruit juice or puree. Similar to Sorbets (sometimes the words are used interchangeable) but sherbets usually have more ingredients, such as milk, egg whites or gelatin. Supermarket brands must have a milkfat content of between 1% and 2%, and a slightly higher sweetener content than ice cream. Sherbet weighs a minimum of 6 pounds to the gallon and is flavored either with fruit or other characterizing ingredients. Recipes can be varied in infinite ways by changing the fruits used. Sorbets can be turned into sherbets if you add a beaten egg white to the mixture after it is partially frozen.

You are probably good to go.

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and priviledged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.
    cyberhound is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:18 PM   #3
    cyberhound
    Got rights?

My Tour Central Stats

1/2 cup of orange sherbet has about 2 grams of lactose compared to 6-9 for regular ice cream and 10-12 for whole milk.

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and priviledged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
    Blaha 41
    sometimes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by cyberhound
    Sherbet: (Its "SHUR-bet" never pronounced "sherBERT") are ices based on sweetened fruit juice or puree. Similar to Sorbets (sometimes the words are used interchangeable) but sherbets usually have more ingredients, such as milk, egg whites or gelatin. Supermarket brands must have a milkfat content of between 1% and 2%, and a slightly higher sweetener content than ice cream. Sherbet weighs a minimum of 6 pounds to the gallon and is flavored either with fruit or other characterizing ingredients. Recipes can be varied in infinite ways by changing the fruits used. Sorbets can be turned into sherbets if you add a beaten egg white to the mixture after it is partially frozen.

rock on! so am i reading it correctly that that half gallon of sherbert i have could at most only be 2% milk? so that's means less than half a cup i assume? WOOOOO.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #5
    RuggerSelkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Did that come from you or from a site? And if you knew all that, why do you know all that?
    RuggerSelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
    Blaha 41
    sometimes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1/2 cup of orange sherbet has about 2 grams of lactose compared to 6-9 for regular ice cream and 10-12 for whole milk.
    thanks. this made my night. i'll just take two lactaid pills and be all set.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #7
    cyberhound
    Got rights?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by Blaha 41
    rock on! so am i reading it correctly that that half gallon of sherbert i have could at most only be 2% milk? so that's means less than half a cup i assume? WOOOOO.
    That's 2% milkfat not total milk content. I'd go with the lactose grams if I were you.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
    RuggerSelkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    thanks. this made my night. i'll just take two lactaid pills and be all set.
    Lactaid makes things better! Without it, I might as well go to Mexico and drink tap water.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
    cyberhound
    Got rights?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by landsharkrugger
    Did that come from you or from a site? And if you knew all that, why do you know all that?
    I knew a little about it from watching a TV show recently. But I got the info from a website so I wouldn't be setting Cole up for a case of the runs.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
    Blaha 41
    sometimes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lactaid makes things better! Without it, I might as well go to Mexico and drink tap water.
    don't feel bad . almost 90% of the world is lactose intolerant. only people of european descent are primarily lactose tolerant (due to the fact that they were one of the first and few people to have dairy animals during their growth as a civilization). i really like dairy products, but if i were drinking/eating them for the past twelve years, then i'd probably be twenty pounds heavier with all those extra calories added each meal at restaurants since everything in (american ones at least especially in the south/midwest where i spent most of my life) restaurants is COVERED in cheese. salads, entrees, everything .

*sits alone and nibbles his sherbert*
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
    Blaha 41
    sometimes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I knew a little about it from watching a TV show recently. But I got the info from a website so I wouldn't be setting Cole up for a case of the runs.
    thanks . sleeping on the toilet sucks.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #12
    RuggerSelkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    don't feel bad . almost 90% of the world is lactose intolerant. only people of european descent are primarily lactose tolerant (due to the fact that they were one of the first and few people to have dairy animals during their growth as a civilization). i really like dairy products, but if i were drinking/eating them for the past twelve years, then i'd probably be twenty pounds heavier with all those extra calories added each meal at restaurants since everything in (american ones at least especially in the south/midwest where i spent most of my life) restaurants is COVERED in cheese. salads, entrees, everything .

*sits alone and nibbles his sherbert*
    See, I'm just weird. I can have cheese, cereal with milk, and milkshakes. But I can't have a glass of milk, hot chocolate made with milk, Slim Fast type drinks, or more than one serving of yogurt. Lactaid does help out a lot.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:33 PM   #13
    IlliniGal
    lets go make out

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See, I'm just weird. I can have cheese, cereal with milk, and milkshakes. But I can't have a glass of milk, hot chocolate made with milk, Slim Fast type drinks, or more than one serving of yogurt. Lactaid does help out a lot.
    I'm like that too. I eat cheese every day, and sometimes milk with my cereal, but give me ice cream and it's not pretty. My sister says it's because different dairy products have different amounts of lactose in them.
    IlliniGal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:38 PM   #14
    RuggerSelkie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by IlliniGal
    and sometimes milk with my cereal
    Just out of curiousity, what do you have with your cereal other times?

Last edited by Freddie J; 06-29-2003 at 06:38 PM.
    Old 06-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #15
    cyberhound
    Got rights?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm like that too. I eat cheese every day, and sometimes milk with my cereal, but give me ice cream and it's not pretty. My sister says it's because different dairy products have different amounts of lactose in them.
    That's true. Here is the chart I got the sherbet lactose grams from. It lists the dairy product, then the serving size, and then the approximate lactose content in grams.

Milk: whole, low-fat, skim, sweet acidophilus, buttermilk
    1 cup
    10-12

Goat milk
    1 cup

Lactose-reduced milk
    1 cup
    2-4

Nonfat dry milk
    1/3 cup

Half-and-half
    ½ cup

Whipping cream
    ½ cup

Sour cream
    ½ cup

Butter/margarine
    1 tsp
    Trace

Cottage cheese
    ½ cup
    2-3

Yogurt, low-fat
    1 cup

Cheese: American, swiss, blue, cheddar, parmesan, or cream cheese
    1 oz
    1-2

Ice cream, regular and low-fat
    ½ cup
    6-9

Sherbert, orange
    ½ cup

Old 06-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #16
    IlliniGal
    lets go make out

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just out of curiousity, what do you have with your cereal other times?
    Sometimes I eat it dry, depends on the cereal .

My sister puts orange juice in her cereal & claims it's a whole balanced breakfast all in one bowl. She's a strange one.

Quote:
    That's true. Here is the chart I got the sherbet lactose grams from. It lists the dairy product, then the serving size, and then the approximate lactose content in grams.
    Wow, thanks. Where'd you get that from?

Last edited by IlliniGal; 06-29-2003 at 06:46 PM.
    IlliniGal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 09:22 PM   #17
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My sister puts orange juice in her cereal & claims it's a whole balanced breakfast all in one bowl. She's a strange one.
    Thats so original

i keep my socks on bc i'm a badass
    Number27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 10:11 PM   #18
    FireDancer79
    Like a CRAZY monkey!

Shows Seen: 104

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Cole,

Have you gone to Angora yet? It's non-dairy and the best damn yogurt in the world!!!

Here's the frozen yogurt menu

Cheers! :)

Last edited by FireDancer79; 06-29-2003 at 10:12 PM.
    FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2003, 10:13 PM   #19
    Blaha 41
    sometimes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally posted by FireDancer79
    Cole,

Have you gone to Angora yet? It's lactose free and the best damn yogurt in the world!!!
    no i haven't. i haven't eaten out since i got here aside from the one time i was stuck away from my house all day.

i have a coupon for pizza there though so i'll get some when i can use that.