Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DMB fans absolutely destroying Sun Times reviewer (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253476)

limbstan 06-03-2009 07:57 AM

DMB fans absolutely destroying Sun Times reviewer

This was posted yesterday, but I thought it deserved it's own thread. So hilarious.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/derogatis/...g_whiskey.html

canes101190 06-03-2009 07:59 AM

Re: DMB fans absolutely destroying Sun Times reviewer

Jim,
Just because you are fat,ugly, and wouldn't know a lyric about SEX if it bit you in your masturbating right HAND, doesn't mean that the rest of us don't enjoy Dave Matthews Band. The BONEHEADED south African has made more money than YOUR FAT ASS can eat in HOT POCKETS. Thank You for being a great example of a booger eating mamas boy who lives in his parents basement and plays world of warcraft while writing bad reviews out of pure spite.
Have a great day, and enjoy your s---ty life,

best post in the whole bunch..that shit is hilarious.

stumpie024 06-03-2009 08:02 AM

The best one!!

Jim,

Just because you are fat,ugly, and wouldn't know a lyric about SEX if it bit you in your masturbating right HAND, doesn't mean that the rest of us don't enjoy Dave Matthews Band. The BONEHEADED south African has made more money than YOUR FAT ASS can eat in HOT POCKETS. Thank You for being a great example of a booger eating mamas boy who lives in his parents basement and plays world of warcraft while writing bad reviews out of pure spite.

stumpie024 06-03-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes101190 (Post 9563811)
Jim,

best post in the whole bunch..that shit is hilarious.

Damn u beat me to it!!

AlexK79 06-03-2009 08:06 AM

Being from Chicago, I've been reading DeRogatis for years, and the guy is just a complete hack. Speaking as someone with a degree in Journalism, its a damn shame that this guy is still allowed to be called a music 'critic'. Being a good critic means being able to listen to music and judge it objectively on its own merits, regardless of any pre-conceived bias or opinion about the artist in question, and that's the exact opposite of what he does here.

OneSweetMonkey 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

I could SOMEWHAT respect his opinion as someone who obviously just didn't like the Band. Some people don't and that's OK. But this guy lost all respect when he said this...

"The South African native is still a bonehead when it comes to writing lyrics"

I think we can all agree that some lyrics are more simple than others, but how do you listen to a song like Squirm or Why I Am or Lying In The Hands Of God and say that he's a bone head when writing lyrics. The reviewer is a presumptuous prick who is jealous that dMb is more popular and more well liked than he is.

Aurelie 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

I think this one may be my favorite:
Though 3 lite-beer-swilling fans disagree--his articles reportedly have grossed more than four dollars--Jim DeRogatis always has been better on the toilet than on the page, where the endless wank-fest(period) could be a torture far worse than waterboarding. That isn't to say that any of the "critic's" previous articles are good, just that they're more pleasurable/less offensive than his bathroom sessions, with hybrid bias-laziness-moronic reviews and overall crappy writing easily digested while sipping a latte (a sentence that makes no sense). The "critic's" new article continues this tradition, and it may even be the "critic's" worst moment on record (which is saying a lot).

Named for the album being reviewed, "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King" is an review that shouldn't have happened: Even before the DeRogatis listened to the album, the "critic" debated whether to write a review, having lost much of his drive and acquired considerable personal acrimony toward himself over the last decade of easy but lucrative chooglin'. Ultimately he decided to give it one more try, retreating to some lonely and isolated cubicle at the Sun Times building and the combination of an uncertain future and the loss of any ability to write or listen critically to good music early in the sessions seemed to not have rekindled a "good-writing" spark artfully fanned by whomever his editor was; who kept things concise, unfocused and mostly fact-free, with an emphasis on those lazy but catchy sentences and opinions that are DeRogatis' specialty.

The native of (who cares) is still a bonehead when it comes to writing articles, which fall either in the categories of 4th grade banality (insert any part of any article he's written), coffee-mug philosophizing (I doubt DeRogatis is capable of even "coffee-mug phlosophy") or frat-house sex talk ("wank-fest"). But if you toss his article in the rotation on your toliet paper roll for your own next bathroom session as a nod to those friends who only read mindless dribble, and you ignore what ol' DeRogatis is writing about, at least you can get a pretty good wipe at yesterday's lunch.

DMB24Illini 06-03-2009 08:08 AM

well in his defense....

wait, no. that was an absolutely abysmal review that was more an attack on DMB in general than a review of the cd. I bet you he went to a show once when he was 16. and that he still has zits.

JimiThing1234 06-03-2009 08:09 AM

i just took part in the bashing :)

G8ROX 06-03-2009 08:10 AM

he's always been an ass - nothing new here - ask a ryan adams fan about derogatis (and duck)

jarguitar86 06-03-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK79 (Post 9563878)
Being from Chicago, I've been reading DeRogatis for years, and the guy is just a complete hack. Speaking as someone with a degree in Journalism, its a damn shame that this guy is still allowed to be called a music 'critic'. Being a good critic means being able to listen to music and judge it objectively on its own merits, regardless of any pre-conceived bias or opinion about the artist in question, and that's the exact opposite of what he does here.

The sad thing, is that this guy is just one of many who 'critique' (poorly) in this fashion.

dmbredsox36 06-03-2009 08:14 AM

Well if want to add to the absolute ripping of this d-bag, email him. Lol, what a complete waste of space....I don't know how people like him have jobs.

Pepi Granado 06-03-2009 08:14 AM

not acknowledging this POS and his review would have been better than giving him all of this attention

limbstan 06-03-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelie (Post 9563886)
I think this one may be my favorite:
Though 3 lite-beer-swilling fans disagree--his articles reportedly have grossed more than four dollars--Jim DeRogatis always has been better on the toilet than on the page, where the endless wank-fest(period) could be a torture far worse than waterboarding. That isn't to say that any of the "critic's" previous articles are good, just that they're more pleasurable/less offensive than his bathroom sessions, with hybrid bias-laziness-moronic reviews and overall crappy writing easily digested while sipping a latte (a sentence that makes no sense). The "critic's" new article continues this tradition, and it may even be the "critic's" worst moment on record (which is saying a lot).

Named for the album being reviewed, "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King" is an review that shouldn't have happened: Even before the DeRogatis listened to the album, the "critic" debated whether to write a review, having lost much of his drive and acquired considerable personal acrimony toward himself over the last decade of easy but lucrative chooglin'. Ultimately he decided to give it one more try, retreating to some lonely and isolated cubicle at the Sun Times building and the combination of an uncertain future and the loss of any ability to write or listen critically to good music early in the sessions seemed to not have rekindled a "good-writing" spark artfully fanned by whomever his editor was; who kept things concise, unfocused and mostly fact-free, with an emphasis on those lazy but catchy sentences and opinions that are DeRogatis' specialty.

The native of (who cares) is still a bonehead when it comes to writing articles, which fall either in the categories of 4th grade banality (insert any part of any article he's written), coffee-mug philosophizing (I doubt DeRogatis is capable of even "coffee-mug phlosophy") or frat-house sex talk ("wank-fest"). But if you toss his article in the rotation on your toliet paper roll for your own next bathroom session as a nod to those friends who only read mindless dribble, and you ignore what ol' DeRogatis is writing about, at least you can get a pretty good wipe at yesterday's lunch.

Thanks!

HolyCow 06-03-2009 08:17 AM

Ryan Adams has destroyed this reviewer too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTUXBbaFjE

dizzle 06-03-2009 08:19 AM

You guys are giving us a bad name.

OneSweetMonkey 06-03-2009 08:19 AM

lol...

By Brett on June 2, 2009 3:40 PM
if this CD was released with a side of fries you would like it better, huh?

I think that one has my vote.

smartbill 06-03-2009 08:19 AM

LOL

By the dude on June 2, 2009 2:22 PM

Dear Jim,
I don't like you

Born To Run 06-03-2009 08:20 AM

if this CD was released with a side of fries you would like it better, huh?

oh my god this is gold :lol

Patriot12088 06-03-2009 08:20 AM

this was the same guy who worked for rolling stone and sparked all the heat between them and DMB with similarly stupid comments

TheLastStop123 06-03-2009 08:20 AM

I just found my entertainment for the day. That was hilarious! that reviewer is an arrogant jackass. Scroll down about half the page and there is a link to his picture....he looks like he had a few too many doughnuts in his day.

semigraph 06-03-2009 08:21 AM

this was my favorite reply to that review:

"if this CD was released with a side of fries you would like it better, huh?"

:)

DMB24Illini 06-03-2009 08:21 AM

this is my favorite one :lol
Dear Jim,
You wouldn't know good music if it slapped you in the face with a side of mustard and relish you fat f---. With that being said, go do yourself a favor and goto Wrigley to watch the Cubs get fisted and choke on a hot dog as you swallow it whole. Next time you have a deadline for a review, please do some research on the topic (or get fired).

darry2385 06-03-2009 08:23 AM

the comments are gold. GOLD, jerry!

TheLastStop123 06-03-2009 08:23 AM

I bet this dude is still a virgin.

TheLastStop123 06-03-2009 08:24 AM

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/000421/jim_l.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Pepi Granado 06-03-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 9564013)

Yep, he's never seen a vagina.

Or his own penis for that matter.

GinaNMU 06-03-2009 08:25 AM

HA, he gave Sonic Youth 3.5..... this guys is deaf.

emitch2000 06-03-2009 08:27 AM

there are some classic comments in there

OneSweetMonkey 06-03-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 9564013)

This is really mean... But really funny...

By Kyle on June 2, 2009 6:09 PM

And I'm suppose to take someone who looks like this seriously....hahahahahahahahaha

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/000421/jim_l.jpg