Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Overall lack of setlist variety so far (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=331227)

BJisBA41 06-11-2014 08:45 PM

Overall lack of setlist variety so far

For discussion: 11 shows in, a little over 25% done...Since SPAC weekend:

Maine: 8 repeats from previous show SPAC N2, 2 Tour Debuts
Mansfield: 9 repeats from Maine, 3 Tour Debuts (not counting #36 reprise or Improv Jam)
Holmdel: 10 repeats from Mansfield, 0 Tour Debuts (not counting a #36 reprise)
Darien: 10 repeats from Holmdel, 1 Tour Debut

Not a very exciting summer so far in the variety department, last year was awesome variety-wise...what happened?

bowa36 06-11-2014 08:49 PM

I don't know, but it's kind of disappointing ..I've been saying the same stuff in every discussion about this so ill just say that.

DavidLightman 06-11-2014 08:55 PM

Re: Overall lack of setlist variety so far

Yea but last year didn't have the Ladies so it's all good.

Ladies = variety.....

ryanflick3 06-11-2014 09:00 PM

From a distance, just looking at sets it certainly seems that way. The first 3 shows were a big surprise, but it's plateaued since then at least in variety of songs.

It seems like the band is pretty adamant on playing old tunes for the acoustic set, which is cool. But it seems like they only have about 12 or 15 in rotation for it. I mean Recently, PFWYG, Ants, Tripping Billies, and Two Step all acoustic could happen for me every show, but at this point I know the shows I go to will get those songs.

I was under the impression they were going to blow the structures of these songs apart, and try different things with them. I just don't see that happening. They've tweaked a couple intros and outros, but the songs sound a bit restrained, and not loose and fresh like I thought they would.

I thought the members were going to rotate more, and possibly see just Dave and Stefan, or Dave and Boyd etc... It seems pretty dialed in as far as arrangements go and this is it.

Plus the formula of 8 songs and 15 songs really is set in stone. I thought the acoustic set might go long at times, and the electric set might be longer too! The electric set is not really anything different than the past. Why not get crazy with it?? I thought that was the point of this whole thing. To stop playing it safe. Cornbread, Spaceman, Jimi, You and Me, Squirm and Satellite all need to take a couple year hiatus. I don't hate those songs even. I'm just tired of a band with 100's of songs in their catalog playing 5 o 6 songs consistently that haven't changed at all in 5 years! If their going to jam on these songs, change the jams!

Dannyyankou 06-11-2014 09:02 PM

Yeah, they do seem to be shuffling through the same songs. The acoustic sets may be enough to keep me going, but they need to bring more variety to the electric sets.

YankeesDMB41 06-11-2014 09:05 PM

IF they're going to lack variety...I would rather it be with songs like Ants, Two Step, Billies, DIDO, and Say Goodbye like it has been this year, instead of YMDT, Jimi Thing, Funny, Spaceman > Cornbread, Why I Am, SMLAM Time Bomb, Gravedigger, So Damn Lucky, and LITHOG like it was in 2009-2013..especially 2009

dontdrink36 06-11-2014 09:09 PM

I understand it can be disappointing on paper, however, they don't tour for the internet set watchers or the 3% of fans that travel to multiple shows all over the country. Shows in different states don't need to be completely unique in terms of set choices. They are in different freaking states! When they play 2 night stands they rarely if ever repeat anything, and when they do it's usually a brand new song.

There are plenty of songs, great, good, and bad, that haven't been played yet. They will pop up throughout the tour. Every tour they have ever done has been dominated by staples for that particular tour. This year is no different.

The only issue I have is I'd like the acoustic sets to be 10-12 songs and then 12-14 songs electric. Oh, and no Shake Meh closers, but even that is just one bad spot in what usually are pretty damn good shows overall.

barbogast 06-11-2014 09:10 PM

Gosh I really am not one to complain about the complaining, but there's been a lot of it these last couple days. The band did just play two great shows in a row, both in one-off cities. I get people's concerns I really do, but there's been so little focus on any positive, most importantly of which is that the band is playing pretty good sets right now for the most part

crashintonickdm 06-11-2014 09:11 PM

the acoustic sets are repetitive but overall they've been really good songs.

recently, two step, and minarets should be in full rotation every year as far as I'm concerned.

YankeesDMB41 06-11-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15403173)
Gosh I really am not one to complain about the complaining, but there's been a lot of it these last couple days. The band did just play two great shows in a row, both in one-off cities. I get people's concerns I really do, but there's been so little focus on any positive, most importantly of which is that the band is playing pretty good sets right now for the most part

I've been to multiple shows in multiple states and I am very satisfied. Is the diversity incredible? No...But great songs are great songs. Am I upset I've heard Pig open my last two shows? Not a chance in hell. Am I upset I've heard DIDO, Minarets, LIOG, Ants Marching, PFWYG, Crush, and Save me at my last two shows? Again, not a chance in hell. Compared to some of the awful tours of the last five years (2012 and 2009 come to mind) these sets are fantastic

berman1125 06-11-2014 09:26 PM

I am happy with album selections this summer

Gideon 06-11-2014 09:52 PM

Overall their great shows, they just lack some variety. But, with a band thats been touring for 24 Years, they have more than enough songs to play. In 2013 we saw returns of songs that haven't been played in years (I.e Crazy-Easy, Dreamgirl, The Idea of You, Joyride, JTR, Recently, ETC.) and we saw major variety. Their wasn't the same 8-10 songs for every show (Until later in the tour obviously) and they weren't sticking to only what they know. I'm not saying that the shows are bad (In fact the performances are fucking amazing), but the setlists need to be a little more unpredictable.

SpotlightEyes 06-11-2014 09:53 PM

What is killing people is the lack of tour debuts, and number of songs played. They're playing more like other bands....with a predefined set that carries the tour. This year is a lot like that.

Gideon 06-11-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes (Post 15403199)
What is killing people is the lack of tour debuts, and number of songs played. They're playing more like other bands....with a predefined set that carries the tour. This year is a lot like that.

Exactly, but the only thing is, they've never done something like this before.

AlexK79 06-11-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 15403170)
I understand it can be disappointing on paper, however, they don't tour for the internet set watchers or the 3% of fans that travel to multiple shows all over the country. Shows in different states don't need to be completely unique in terms of set choices. They are in different freaking states! When they play 2 night stands they rarely if ever repeat anything, and when they do it's usually a brand new song.

There are plenty of songs, great, good, and bad, that haven't been played yet. They will pop up throughout the tour. Every tour they have ever done has been dominated by staples for that particular tour. This year is no different.

The only issue I have is I'd like the acoustic sets to be 10-12 songs and then 12-14 songs electric. Oh, and no Shake Meh closers, but even that is just one bad spot in what usually are pretty damn good shows overall.

This guy gets it.

I honestly don't care what they play at shows that I'm not at, and I don't typically listen to tapes during the tour. If they play a song I love at one of my upcoming shows, I really don't give a shit if they've played it 10 times already at other shows. Want to be surprised? Don't setlist watch. Pretty simple.

mthawk07 06-11-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 15403170)

This makes too much sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK79 (Post 15403215)
I honestly don't care what they play at shows that I'm not at, and I don't typically listen to tapes during the tour. If they play a song I love at one of my upcoming shows, I really don't give a shit if they've played it 10 times already at other shows. Want to be surprised? Don't setlist watch. Pretty simple.

As does this.

chadizzy1 06-11-2014 11:31 PM

I think in the future I'm going to scale back how many shows I go to, or just go to the Gorge or a two night stand. It's not worth it to me to travel all over to multiple shows if it's going to be the same thing over and over again.

At least if I do a two night/three night stand I have the chance of it being somewhat different. The acoustic set was the best part of this year, but the electric sets just aren't mixing it up like they should.

And I'm not "bitching", but I'm not going to ball wash either, I pay money to go to a show, plus all that goes along with it, so I think it's fair that I can share my opinion.

joyride7tbowa 06-12-2014 12:36 AM

i agree to an extent. the sets are very repetitious but the songs that are being repeated are all above average songs. id much rather have the songs that have been played the most over the least this tour and thats the first time in awhile i can say that about any tour

Most Played Songs:
Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd(10)
Belly Belly Nice(9)
Two Step(8)
If Only(8)
What Would You Say(8)
Satellite(7)
Tripping Billies(7)
Grey Street(7)
Recently(6)
Ants Marching(6)

Least Played Songs:
Stay or Leave(1)
Sweet(1)
Digging a Ditch(1)
The Needle and the Damage Done(1)
A Whiter Shade of Pale(1)
Where Are You Going(1)
Some Devil(1)
When the World Ends(1)
Take Me to Tomorrow(2)
Big Eyed Fish(2)

josh101prf 06-12-2014 01:13 AM

Think of they played the same set list every single night? Then people would be complaining about how they wish there was a little variety, just like there is now. It could be much much worse. Like someone said a few posts up, if you want to be surprised don't watch the set lists.

alpinevalley4 06-12-2014 01:24 AM

No matter what happens, Ants won't be happy. Finally we're getting mostly the Big 3 and everyone is bitching. Let alone an entire set dedicated to acoustic! Enjoy it while it lasts...

imercator 06-12-2014 02:24 AM

It seems they are playing much of the same songs every night, every other at best. It is quite surprising for a band reknown for setlist variation and with 20+ years of songs in their repetoir!

Snoozing Away on 55th and 3rd.. that song is *almost* as comatose as Snoring in the Hands of God. Definitely not needed every night!

John_Blutarsky 06-12-2014 03:56 AM

Yeah I think everyone in here agrees that the song selection for the acoustic sets have been fantastic they just lack variety and the electric sets have been good too especially
Holmdel they just lack the variety they're playing the same songs basically- they need to bust out jtr, stone, best of what's around, lover lay down, dreaming tree and dear god play Last Stop this summer..

LetYouDown22 06-12-2014 04:29 AM

These threads have been very uninspired lately.

nick997k 06-12-2014 04:48 AM

The tour statistics disagree with you:

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourSummar...125&where=2014

At this point in the tour, they've played a wider variety of songs that at the same point (11 shows into the tour) in 2012 and 2013.

Also, look at the distribution as far as what songs they are favoring - Crash (10), UTTAD (7), R2T (6), BTCS (6), BS (6), COVERS (6), BW (6), SD (5) AFTW (5), ED (3), SU (3). This is the kind of distribution people around here have been screaming for, for years. Now that we have it, we hate it?

crb60 06-12-2014 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 15403167)
IF they're going to lack variety...I would rather it be with songs like Ants, Two Step, Billies, DIDO, and Say Goodbye like it has been this year, instead of YMDT, Jimi Thing, Funny, Spaceman > Cornbread, Why I Am, SMLAM Time Bomb, Gravedigger, So Damn Lucky, and LITHOG like it was in 2009-2013..especially 2009

I was just about to say this. Even if they're "lacking" variety, they're playing the right songs I want to hear every show.

josh101prf 06-12-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick997k (Post 15403261)

At this point in the tour, they've played a wider variety of songs that at the same point (11 shows into the tour) in 2012 and 2013.

Also, look at the distribution as far as what songs they are favoring - Crash (10), UTTAD (7), R2T (6), BTCS (6), BS (6), COVERS (6), BW (6), SD (5) AFTW (5), ED (3), SU (3). This is the kind of distribution people around here have been screaming for, for years. Now that we have it, we hate it?

Whelp, there goes all the theory's of stagnant set lists this year compared to past.

TrippingBobbies 06-12-2014 05:29 AM

Im one of the few on these boards that was at both Mansfield and PNC.. 10 repeats is a lot..which is probably why I wasnt as wowed as everyone else and the acoustic set has basically been the same songs reshuffled. ( Ive also been to ATL, and SS this summer) I don't know why they aren't doing the same song one night in acoustic and one night in electric. Personally, I would rather hear SAVE ME and GRANNY in acoustic.. why doesn't he just throw it in acoustic one night and electric the other.. I think this would make an enormous difference! Same with jimmy obv...

I can hear that TWO STEP every night tho with that Rashawn Trumpet. love it so damn much

SpotlightEyes 06-12-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick997k (Post 15403261)

This is completely irrelevant and is just a way of throwing around numbers to try and redirect an argument.

Album spread is not everything, when it's the SAME 5 songs night after night, and the show as a whole is likewise the same.

TrippingBobbies 06-12-2014 05:30 AM

I wasnt as wowed at PNC * still had a blast, still kinda complaining .. but 10 wasnt cooL!

nick997k 06-12-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh101prf (Post 15403305)
Whelp, there goes all the theory's of stagnant set lists this year compared to past.

So my data is a couple days old (I looked at it from 9 shows in two days ago), however the stats are still basically there:

2012 - 11 Shows in, the band had played 59 different songs
2013 - 11 Shows in, the band had played 69 different songs
2014 - 11 Shows in, the band has played 69 different songs